Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Agreed Homer, 4th has to be a minimum expectation.

I am still fairly confident that we are capable of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A fit United should be well capable of making 4th.

2 problems though. Firsly, fitness is a MASSIVE issue this season, even more so than before. Secondly, the squad still isn't gelled or comfortbale with the style yet, which results in disjointed performances and poor results.

Untill we can select a fairly consistent, first choice, side, I don't see things significantly improving.

Would love to see a fully fit United side, playing the diamond formation that looked so promising.

De Gea
    Rafael--Evans--Rojo--Shaw
    Blind
    Herrera-Di Maria
    Rooney
    RVP
    Falcao.

At the moment though we'd have to swap Carrick in for Blind, Jones for Rojo. Herrera should be fit to play but Falcao may not be right to start - so could see Rooney moved forward and Mata coming in at 10.

Could also, obviously, see us play 451, 442 etc.... feck know with United at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Those finacial figures make for very grim and worrying reading. another year or two out of the CL (very possible with the way things are going) and the s*it will really hit the fan.

no panic buttons will be hit just yet, but if we are in 6th or 7th in February, then i think things will start to become uncomfortable for a few.

Hey, but it's ok - Daley Blind's Twitter following increased 72% after joining United last year.

Woodward just really needs to stop talking.

Hey, but it's ok - Daley Blind's Twitter following increased 72% after joining United last year.

It, seemingly, does matter - with the increased profile players get after signing for United being a big bargaining chip United use. Bigger following means better sponsorship deals and endorsements. More money. There was an article about it in the summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's investor talk. It's exactly what he needs to say. Sponsors want to know that their product is seen and associated with Utd. That's why the 600m FB followers is trotted out so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

from what Woodward said today, we are unlikely to sign players in January :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A fit United squad should be strolling 3rd never mind 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

A fit United squad should be strolling 3rd never mind 4th

Rafael, Jones, Evans and Smalling dont know how to be fit however and that is where the problems lie.

2 from Evans, Jones and Smalling could be gone next summer id say, they are playing for their careers at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rafael, Jones, Evans and Smalling dont know how to be fit however and that is where the problems lie.

2 from Evans, Jones and Smalling could be gone next summer id say, they are playing for their careers at this stage.

I'm one who thinks they are all good players, potentially even great players, but at this point I am just sick to my bollocks of players who aren't available half the time. As good as the likes of Jones or Smalling could have been I wouldn't cry too much if the club turned elsewhere for defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Unless all our injuries miraculously vanish this is very bad news.

You could easily say two Cb's and a RB are needed at minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well with 200 odd million spent in the last year it was always unlikely that we were going to make more signings in January.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well with 200 odd million spent in the last year it was always unlikely that we were going to make more signings in January.

Injuries and performances have made them required though, imo.

We needed another CB bought in the summer, and nothing Smalling, Jones or Evans have done has changed that, imo. So if we could ge that CB in January then I would be all for it, previous transfer spend be damned. I can see the argument of not getting just any CB in jan though, with the intention of getting one of the ones they actually want in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

January is a **** time for buying players. It also doesn't help that we are no where near guaranteed CL football, so Woodward and friends will be starting to factor that into budgets come January. If we go on a good run and look good for CL, things may change. Could do with whipping Arsenal this weekend.

Really want Di Maria to play more through the centre. He just isn't the same player out wide. I'd e half tempted to try him right behind the striker and let him run at players or give us an option behind the defence. Would love to see Falcao play as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Manchester United have used 13 centre-back combinations this season in the league :eek:

Only played 11 games

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stats-focus-man-utds-13-8126481

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

DM_7 wrote: »
    Manchester United have used 13 centre-back combinations this season in the league :eek:

Only played 11 games

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stats-focus-man-utds-13-8126481
    "It's no excuse, every team has injuries, ra ra ra!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Ah here.
    You can't compare rvp and falcao to Danny.

This arguement is just stupid, if you can't see why he wanted to leave then it's pointless. It's just tedious and frustrating
    Who is framing the discussion like that? The question is have United spent wisely with the likes of Mata, when we had others who could fill that role, and an injury prone Falcao, when such purchases have pushed the likes of Welbeck out of the club. I think Welbeck would have contributed more SO FAR this season then either of those players. Nobody is suggesting he is better then either but that he offered something that we currently lack. Hopefully both have great futures at the club but right now I think that money could have been better spent on other areas such as a RB and CB and I can't help think they were 'statement' purchases by Woodward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Well god if you let united players get through this last international match without injury that would great please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Who is framing the discussion like that? The question is have United spent wisely with the likes of Mata, when we had others who could fill that role, and an injury prone Falcao, when such purchases have pushed the likes of Welbeck out of the club. I think Welbeck would have contributed more SO FAR this season then either of those players. Nobody is suggesting he is better then either but that he offered something that we currently lack. Hopefully both have great futures at the club but right now I think that money could have been better spent on other areas such as a RB and CB and I can't help think they were 'statement' purchases by Woodward.

This stupid roundabout of a conversation is about how we left Welbeck go? With 2/3 stubborn posters.
    He left because falcao came in right? That's a fair assumption ok. Let's just boil it down to that.
    Saying the money should have been spent elsewhere is pointless,

On one hand I have falcao, the other I have Danny.

Hmmmmmm. Soz Danny, but your game time is going to be very limited this year? Wanna go out on loan? Nah man, I wanna leave. Ok my brother off you go.

I'm neutral about him leaving, which I guess has always been his squad position, neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Saying the money should have been spent elsewhere is pointless,

Discussion about United's transfer policy and long term planning is pointless? Okay so.

Discussion about United's transfer policy and long term planning is pointless? Okay so.

Yes.
    Happy?

We have no idea who was approached or what happens behind the scenes. If we can see 1 weak spot in the team, you can be sure the manger sees 20. Just because we bought mata or di Maria does not mean we only concentrated on those 2 deals.
    Have a bit of cop on, don't be listening to media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So, anyone wanna run on a pool on how many injuries we pick up?

The over under line is 2.5 if you wanna go for that option

Do we even have 2.5 players left?

Why so many injuries? Is it bad luck or the training methods adopted by the club since the arrival of LVG? No other club seems as bad with injuries!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Why so many injuries? Is it bad luck or the training methods adopted by the club since the arrival of LVG? No other club seems as bad with injuries!

We have had relentless injuries for years tbh, they were bad last year too and it would be hard to pin it on a coach who does not have a history of constantly injuring his players.

It would be even harder to blame him for the injuries picked up on international duty and in game impact injuries :)

Edit: Arsenal in particular also have a horrendous injury history for the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fiver on Di Maria injury tonight 8/1.

Di Maria just went down, fouled by Nani, still down......

Anyone watching on MUTV in fact?

I would rather they just take him off now tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Smalling is playing, I don't think anybody has told him he's injured

Di Maria doesn't look totally comfortable out there, but the last run was encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

kryogen wrote: »
    Di Maria just went down, fouled by Nani, still down......

Anyone watching on MUTV in fact?

b8TdYan.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

zorro2566 wrote: »

Arsenal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Dirty Nani!

DM_7 wrote: »
    Dirty Nani!

On Di Maria? He was a bit late alright but no malice in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Shaw down injured now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Luke Shaw goes down injured, yippie

Naismith just clattered Shaw... I swear ta god!

Shaw gone down

And he's back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Now shaw is limping

flynn.gif

• Advertisement

Its like that fake soap in the Simpsons/or whatever show it was

"It Never Ends"

Starring, Rafael, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Falcao, Michael Carrick and many many more

0-0 between Argentina and Ronaldo and the rabble at half time. Portugal are a very poor side these days, they used to just be lacking a proper finisher, now they have that and nothing else!

England 1 up, beautiful pass from Wilshire and a deft header from Ox, not too impressed with the confidence boost they will get from that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

kryogen wrote: »
    England 1 up, beautiful pass from Wilshire and a deft header from Ox, not too impressed with the confidence boost they will get from that!

Scott Brown will sort them out

Roy will surely make a few changes at half time,take off the Utd lads and leave the Arsenal lads on.

Sound Roy

England look good at times, they have an urgency in attack that we lack so often

Video of LVG interrupting Portugal's half time team talk to have a word with Nani...

conan_spaz.gif

• Advertisement

Wonderful bit of play from Nani there

Tevez getting a nice welcome, as you would expect :)

Di Maria gone off thank ****

Rooney

Take Rooney off now please. Thanks Woy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Take Rooney off now please. Thanks Woy.

And Shaw too please..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement