Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

The treatment rooms are going to end up the size of a small hospital at this rate :rolleyes:

Any update on Blind?

Injured both eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Just looking at the form table this morning and United, Burnley and QPR are the only teams that have not won an away game yet this season. And those other teams occupy the bottom places in the league. We can look at stats all we want, that is appalling form which is glossed over by home form.

Even one win from the three draws would have an extra two points and equal on points with fourth placed West Ham. These are the fine margins in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im confident we won't be beaten this weekend for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

50 games is basically a full season! Doesn't sound like a good record to me.

if he has missed 12 games a season for the last 4 years and Dortmund play almost 50 games in all competitions he's still averaging about 30 games a season despite being 'injury prone'

As I said earlier I doubt any of our defenders over the past 4 or 5 years have a better much record than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As I said earlier I doubt any of our defenders over the past 4 or 5 years have a better much record than that

Perhaps they don't, but I'm not sure we should be setting the bar that low. Just about every defender in world football has a better injury record than our lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Arsenal are the reason. They haven't been at the races in a match against us in years. I'm confident too, but I would also be very wary of Sanchez against what ever ramshackle defense we have on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cause its Arsenal and we generally do well against them regardless of personnel for some reason.

if he has missed 12 games a season for the last 4 years and Dortmund play almost 50 games in all competitions he's still averaging about 30 games a season despite being 'injury prone'

He has so far, missed 10 games this season, he missed 27 games last season and 9 the season before, the worry is that its been a lot of knee and ligament injuries the last couple of years

They appear to be getting worse rather then better, 27 games last year and well on course to get close to that number again this year having already missed 10

His ankle ligaments have been a problem going back as far as I can remember tbh and now if his knee is also becoming a problem he will just be another more expensive Owen Hargreaves, whats the point?

There are more centre backs out there that would improve us (which isn't a huge claim I know)

I love Hummels, but think it would be very risky to spend huge money on him, which is what would be required

Just to put up the figures

08/09 - 26 games missed
    09/10 - 4 games missed
    10/11 - 2 games missed
    11/12 - 1 game missed
    12/13 - 9 games missed
    13/14 - 27 games missed
    14/15 - 10 games missed so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Me too cause i think there defence is in worse shape then ours. if we can get the attack fluid id fancy the win, sanchez does worry me of course but he cant keep this goal scoring up hopefully

• Advertisement

Just to expand on Hummels, most people say Rafa is too injury prone. So lets take a look at his figures over the same period

08/09 - 14 games missed
    09/10 - 3 games missed
    10/11 - 9 games missed
    11/12 - 0 games missed
    12/13 - 5 games missed
    13/14 - 5 games missed
    14/15 - 6 games missed so far

42 games missed due to injury compared to Hummels 79 games missed due to injury, not too far off double the amount of games missed, and with more serious injuries, with more potential long term implications.

How is one considered too brittle and the other worth spending £40-50m on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Headshot wrote: »
    A good time to buy from Dortmund since I just cant see them get a CL spot next season
    They'll believe they can win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sky88 wrote: »
    Me too cause i think there defence is in worse shape then ours. if we can get the attack fluid id fancy the win, sanchez does worry me of course but he cant keep this goal scoring up hopefully

We have rafa coming back from inury, Evans coming back from injury, Jones coming back from injury, Rojo out and Shaw possibly out.

Smalling is the only senior defender that is match fit, and he can be an utter dunce more often than not.

How on earth can our defence be considered in better shape than ANYONES?

How did Smalling play for England actually? Wasn't paying much attention to the game, did he play well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

kryogen wrote: »
    Just to expand on Hummels, most people say Rafa is too injury prone. So lets take a look at his figures over the same period

08/09 - 14 games missed
    09/10 - 3 games missed
    10/11 - 9 games missed
    11/12 - 0 games missed
    12/13 - 5 games missed
    13/14 - 5 games missed

42 games missed due to injury compared to Hummels 79 games missed due to injury, not too far off double the amount of games missed, and with more serious injuries, with more potential long term implications.

Reputation, that's what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Marcotti/status/535382255582343168

How many midfielders do they need,looks like Chiellini is staying at Juve too.That's 2 off the free transfer list for January.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Atta boy Kew, love this type of optimism
    If there's one thing i'm always confident off its going to the emirates and getting a result...
    Secret Agent Welbz to score a late goal to win it for us.... rip off his arsenal top and reveal a t-shirt with "i <3 the Iron Tulip" on it
    You know Arsenal have a terrible record for own goals after all!!!!

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Marcotti/status/535382255582343168

How many midfielders do they need,looks like Chiellini is staying at Juve too.That's 2 off the free transfer list for January.

If true it won't come as a huge surprise really, most Germans dream of playing for Munich. Just trying to think of who it frees up from Munich, nobody of importance imo unless I am forgetting someone

There are stories Shaqiri is available in January for 20million, could be a nice addition though not a priority of course

Chiellini is someone I would love at the club but cant see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I don't think United will bring in anybody in January, aside from possibly recall Nani.

6 players were added recently, plus Wilson, McNair and Blackett didn't feature last season, so they're better off allowing the team to settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

If true it won't come as a huge surprise really, most Germans dream of playing for Munich. Just trying to think of who it frees up from Munich, nobody of importance imo unless I am forgetting someone

There are stories Shaqiri is available in January for 20million, could be a nice addition though not a priority of course

Javi Martinez perhaps??? Pep doesn't seem to be a fan.

I know he's currently injured but he could be a bloody massive adddition for us, he's in his mid 20's so still time to get a huge fee down the line from Barca or Madrid when he wants to go home..

Can play CB and DCM...

Tell me what i'm missing out on here??

If I was khedira why would I go to bayern? Apart from being German.

Seems like an easy choice for him. Could have come to England and have a nice little challenge and be first choice.

I thought they couldn't discuss contracts with other teams until they had 6 months left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

brinty wrote: »
    Javi Martinez perhaps??? Pep doesn't seem to be a fan.

I know he's currently injured but he could be a bloody massive adddition for us, he's in his mid 20's so still time to get a huge fee down the line from Barca or Madrid when he wants to go home..

Can play CB and DCM...

Tell me what i'm missing out on here??

Yep, other than the fact Madrid or Barca (transfer ban?) will probably be looking for him now, maybe Chelsea, City and Arsenal too if United can offer him the best deal then it'd be everything in a player that's needed. Cover for CB and a top class DM.

United should be ravenous with Bayern players this Summer or even January. So many out of favour players that would significantly improve them. Like how Bayern profited when Real and Barca were buying everyone under the Sun and discarding them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Kryogen's posts re Hummels and Rafael are one of the reasons I love the United superthread.

I'm sharing that to a United fans group I'm in on FB Kryo, if you dont mind.

Harvest those likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Harvest those likes.

Yeah, I'll get that liver transplant yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

How did Smalling play for England actually? Wasn't paying much attention to the game, did he play well?

Smalling was very good, looked very comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Raised my eyebrow when reading this as I wrongly thought Chiellini was 33 or 34. Surprised to see he's only 30. Real oldschool defender and tough as old boots.

Pighead wrote: »
    Raised my eyebrow when reading this as I wrongly thought Chiellini was 33 or 34. Surprised to see he's only 30. Real oldschool defender and tough as old boots.

Yeah it is kinda surprising alright, that amount of talent and experience and still plenty left in the tank presumably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

08/09 - 14 games missed
    09/10 - 3 games missed
    10/11 - 9 games missed
    11/12 - 0 games missed
    12/13 - 5 games missed
    13/14 - 5 games missed

I'm not sure those stats on Rafael are entirely accurate (it is Rafael you're talking about, isn't it?) In 11/12 for example I'm fairly sure he dislocated his shoulder against City in the Community Shield and misses a good bit after it. I would be surprised if he didn't miss additional games due to injury that season too, I only remember him getting a solid run in the team in the last couple of months of that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

zerks wrote: »

Dont think he can sign anything until 6 months before his contract runs out so id say its not true, for now anyway.

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm not sure those stats on Rafael are entirely accurate (it is Rafael you're talking about, isn't it?) In 11/12 for example I'm fairly sure he dislocated his shoulder against City in the Community Shield and misses a good bit after it. I would be surprised if he didn't miss additional games due to injury that season too, I only remember him getting a solid run in the team in the last couple of months of that season.

Stats taken from here

http://www.transfermarkt.com/rafael/verletzungen/spieler/61892

If you go to
    http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/clubs/14/manchester_united_injuries.html

it seems to back it up more or less, didnt check everything, just the 11/12 season you mentioned as an example, his name pops up in August and again December for a knock, which you would assume wouldnt have kept him out long if at all.

It is simply games missed because of injury, nothing else.

Edit: He didn't play till 22nd November after his August injury, but I have no idea how long he was actually out injured for and how long it took Fergie to put him back in the team after he was available etc

Certainly an error in the stats though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Dont think he can sign anything until 6 months before his contract runs out so id say its not true, for now anyway.

Honigstein said that Pep vetoed him being signed last summer and is unlikely to have changed his mind. He's calling it BS.

Don't know who here followed Rebecca Stephenson, https://twitter.com/1rebs.

She passed away, at 32. No fcuking age.

I didn't know her, at all - just followed her because of her man united links and being a sports journo, but fcuk. Sad to hear.

Very sad Mitch, puts things into perspective alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Stats taken from here

http://www.transfermarkt.com/rafael/verletzungen/spieler/61892

If you go to
    http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/clubs/14/manchester_united_injuries.html

it seems to back it up more or less, didnt check everything, just the 11/12 season you mentioned as an example, his name pops up in August and again December for a knock, which you would assume wouldnt have kept him out long if at all.

It is simply games missed because of injury, nothing else.

Edit: He didn't play till 22nd November after his August injury, but I have no idea how long he was actually out injured for and how long it took Fergie to put him back in the team after he was available etc

Certainly an error in the stats though

He missed 10 weeks right at the start of that season due to the dislocated shoulder though, he would have missed a fair whack of games with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Desperate! Too fcuking young.

He has so far, missed 10 games this season, he missed 27 games last season and 9 the season before, the worry is that its been a lot of knee and ligament injuries the last couple of years

They appear to be getting worse rather then better, 27 games last year and well on course to get close to that number again this year having already missed 10

His ankle ligaments have been a problem going back as far as I can remember tbh and now if his knee is also becoming a problem he will just be another more expensive Owen Hargreaves, whats the point?

There are more centre backs out there that would improve us (which isn't a huge claim I know)

I love Hummels, but think it would be very risky to spend huge money on him, which is what would be required

Just to put up the figures

08/09 - 26 games missed
    09/10 - 4 games missed
    10/11 - 2 games missed
    11/12 - 1 game missed
    12/13 - 9 games missed
    13/14 - 27 games missed
    14/15 - 10 games missed so far.

If your figures are accurate then in his terrible injury filled two year period he still played 63% of available games. That is including the serious injury he got last year which looks like an anomaly when you look at the rest of his injury history

Then you look at the 3 years/seasons previous to the last two years and he played a staggering 92% of games available for Dortmund.

If you are assessing risk, and you say well at his worst so far ( last two years) he has still played almost every 2 out of 3 games. That is one of the best centre backs around, if he comes to us and plays 26 games (injured for the rest) in the league it would be invaluable to us and I would be delighted

I don't think the next option down is worth passing up on a player like Hummels just becuse we may or may not get 5 or 6 extra games on average a season out of them.

I don't think the next option down is worth passing up on a player like Hummels just becuse we may or may not get 5 or 6 extra games on average a season out of them.

He'd be a United player though. He WOULD get injured, probably daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you are assessing risk, and you say well at his worst so far ( last two years) he has still played almost every 2 out of 3 games. That is one of the best centre backs around, if he comes to us and plays 26 games (injured for the rest) in the league it would be invaluable to us and I would be delighted

Have to disagree. You are going to be talking €50/60m maybe even €70 million to get him (There would be competition from the other big clubs no doubt). I've never subscribed to the idea that the money shouldn't matter to fans, it does matter, and thats far too much to risk if there are doubts about long term fitness.

He is a good defender but he is no Maldini, there will be other options out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Mike Phelan landed the Norwich first team coaches job. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I have never been a huge fan of Hummels. Defo a good player but his fee will be astronomical and I'm not sure he is worth it.

If he flops and the club have no issues with dropping more money to replace him, cool. If he is most of our budget for a summer, not so cool.

Oh to be a shorts salesman in Norwich right now.

I heard they asked him last week and he said yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Valencia did a twitter Q&A, you can guess how that went.90% of the questions were along the lines of "why are you so crap at crossing"?

Have to disagree. You are going to be talking €50/60m maybe even €70 million to get him (There would be competition from the other big clubs no doubt). I've never subscribed to the idea that the money shouldn't matter to fans, it does matter, and thats far too much to risk if there are doubts about long term fitness.

He is a good defender but he is no Maldini, there will be other options out there.

We paid almost 40 million for Shaw who may never reach Hummels' level. I don't see how the benefit doesn't outweigh the risk on this one. I doubt the club would sign him if there were serious long term medical issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I heard they asked him last week and he said yes

Yes, and I heard he was Phelan good about the job ahead.

I'll show myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

6 months out for Blind ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Blind out for 6 months! No luck at sll!! Get strootman in!

We paid almost 40 million for Shaw who may never reach Hummels' level. I don't see how the benefit doesn't outweigh the risk on this one. I doubt the club would sign him if there were serious long term medical issues

I'm not a fan of comparing prices and risk factors of young English talent and older foreign talent. Take these two as an example. Shaw is the best fullback prospect in the country at a time when we were replacing our stalwart left back. As an English kid, he most likely won't want to move elsewhere, as long as we are competing.

At worst he gets injured and doesn't make the grade, middleground, he'll not reach his world class potential but you'll have an able backup/starter for 6 years of his contract. At best, you have a position sorted for 15 years with a great player.

Hummels will be the guts of 27 if we sign him next summer. At worst, he gets injured badly or flops. Middleground, he'll be a decent addition to the team but will take time to adapt and will continue to suffer the injuries of the last 3 years, at best we get 4 great years out of him before he gets slower or fancies a move home.

The risks are very different for the two and for me, the Shaw spend makes far more sense. Also, no way we get Hummels for €40m. Far more likely to be £40/45m imo.

I dread his press conferences now, every week there seems to be a new setback.

At least Di Maria and and De Gea are fit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement