Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice problem

Options
  • 06-10-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me with this :/

I started a new job there two months, but it's riddled with problems, and I'm really not liking it at all. I tried to hand in my notice, and wanted to give one week, which they refused and referred me to my contract, saying I had to give a month's notice. Anyway, they promised things would change, and I was doing a great job, so I agreed to stay - this all happened in the space of a week.

In the middle of the whole debacle, I applied for another job - more benefits, better conditions, travel, etc etc. They want me to start a week from the job offer (which hasn't happened yet)
    When I checked my contract with the current job, it said that I had to give a month's notice - except during the probationary period of 3 months, in which the notice period would be one week. I'm still well within the probationary period.

Is there any way the current job can hold me to one month's notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

If they referred you to your contract - you can refer them to same and point out that you are still in the probationary period.
    But make sure that youre 100% in the probationary period and that you are not exempt from it or that there are no special circumstances relating to the probationary period stated in said contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sounds pretty clear - they're only entitled to a week's notice if you've read the contract correctly.

Though I'd be concerned about a new employer being that unreasonable about wanting someone (who they know has a job) to be available a week after a job offer. That's unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

I was in a horrible job. I gave my notice after working there only 6 weeks, but they convinced me to stay on so I retracted my notice. Really, I was in no financial position to quit.
    I was offered a job as maternity cover, but only if I could start the following week. My current employer was not happy with the week's notice (the contract said a month) so basically let me finish the day and refused to take even the week's notice.
    It worked out well. I've been in my current job for over a year and was given a permanent position.
    Take from that what you will.

Advertisement