Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Blazer wrote: »
    apparently we're making a loan bid for Wellbeck...bloody depressing
    Thank christ my 2nd team is Juve..at least it gives me something to look forward to.
    Maybe we might be able to go for Ronaldo when he's about 40 or so?

Definitely will not happen! Big Mike won't pay the wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Would I be right in saying when motrovich goes that all of mcclarens signings bar shelvey are gone?

It's not that they were actually bad players. I liked mbemba rafa obviously didn't. But I'd rather him than clarke as back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sometimes I wonder if we would have been better off doing a Leeds. We would have had a lot better chance of some billionaire coming in and buying the club rather than Ashely.
    I can’t see Ashley ever selling the club unless he gets a massive offer.

Never heard of this Swizz centre half any use?

seems like a steal on paper for a world cup centre half playing for the 6th best team in the world. but makes you wonder if it paves the way for shipping lascelles out for big money... anything can happen.

in other news Sels is going and a deal for saivet could be made, i think it could be worth keeping him with Hayden,Merino and colback going we are short in the centre of the park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

fitzparker wrote: »
    Never heard of this Swizz centre half any use?

seems like a steal on paper for a world cup centre half playing for the 6th best team in the world. but makes you wonder if it paves the way for shipping lascelles out for big money... anything can happen.

in other news Sels is going and a deal for saivet could be made, i think it could be worth keeping him with Hayden,Merino and colback going we are short in the centre of the park

Fabian Schar? He was meant to be one of the most promising centre backs in the world a few years ago, he seems to have fallen off massively since, he plays for Deportivo now. Still, for £3m it’s hard to go wrong and it’s the best you can hope for with that lump running the club.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Fabian Schar? He was meant to be one of the most promising centre backs in the world a few years ago, he seems to have fallen off massively since, he plays for Deportivo now. Still, for £3m it’s hard to go wrong and it’s the best you can hope for with that lump running the club.

Makes me think of Pistone... the next Maldini they called him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Schar confirmed. Seems like a great deal on paper. Muto for 9.5M seems like a decent bit of business too. Only 8 gaols in Germany last season but I'm sure Rafa can work some magic.

Regardless of who we sign 9.5m for a striker to perform in the PL is asking alot. we aren't even competing with Brighton/Huddersfield in terms of signings.

obviously we are oping to exploit the Asian market with South Korean and Japanese on our books, fingers crossed we sell 800m jerseys over there so Ashley can give us " all the money we generate"

Schar seems like a great deal and if we get Reyes for free it will really tighten up our back line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Regardless of who we sign 9.5m for a striker to perform in the PL is asking alot. we aren't even competing with Brighton/Huddersfield in terms of signings.

obviously we are oping to exploit the Asian market with South Korean and Japanese on our books, fingers crossed we sell 800m jerseys over there so Ashley can give us " all the money we generate"

Schar seems like a great deal and if we get Reyes for free it will really tighten up our back line.

I'm sure this Asian spree has absolutely nothing to do with SDs impending arrival in Korea/China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Im expecting us to sign a chinese player any day now...

Need a south american or two for the jersey market there too

• Advertisement

Ballotelli available on a free...would be worth a chance for us instead of the donkeys we're being linked with.

Mitrovic gone to Fulham in £20 million deal.
    What's the betting not a penny of it will be spent?
    Also Benitez's release cause of £6million has expired so he's going to stay until next Summer and then run for the hills.
    If he quits now he has to pay Ashley £6 million. No wonder he fired his agent after discovering those clauses in his contract.
    Its going to be another joke of a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Also Benitez's release cause of £6million has expired so he's going to stay until next Summer and then run for the hills.
    If he quits now he has to pay Ashley £6 million. No wonder he fired his agent after discovering those clauses in his contract.

Wow. Never knew about that clause. That's a pretty bad scenario for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This is why rumours of Benitez walking have always been complete and utter rubbish. It’s never going to happen with that clause. Ashley has completely bent him over with that deal.

jbt123 wrote: »
    Wow. Never knew about that clause. That's a pretty bad scenario for you.

yeah his agent really screwed up there..no wonder he fired him.

11/2 to be relegated, not bad odds lads.

Rafa is really not happy after yesterdays game and rightly so, why we are trying to pawn off Gayle and keep joselu is beyond me. with the Rondon deal broke down where do we turn to now?

As Rafa said ""You see the teams that have been promoted, the money they are spending. Put it all together and you understand why the fans need to be concerned."

Fulham have spent more than our highest ever transfer fee for one of our strikers that couldn't get a game, yet we are looking at 9m strikers and players that are free or have a release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm biased as fúck as a Liverpool fan, but if Rafa doesn't have the leverage to make something happen, nobody will.

Ashley has what he perceives as the hen that lays golden eggs, so there's no doubt he wants Rafa to keep working miracles. He will walk though. His pride will only let him put up with the nonsense for so long.

. Things are not going well off the pitch - I’m worried. 

"Fans are concerned - they have to be. We are concerned.

"We’re not doing things well on the pitch or off it. This should be a wake up call for everyone.

"We were poor and we made too many mistakes. We have to wake up - that's it.

"You see the teams that have been promoted, the money they are spending. Put it all together and you understand why the fans need to be concerned.

"We are concerned. Everyone in the dressing room was really upset with our performance and with how things are going, but we will try to change things in the next 10 days.

"Am I optimistic, thinking that in ten days, we can do what we didn’t do in two months? I don’t think so. But, still, I think it’s obvious we need people, we need bodies.

"We have been talking for a while about players. I think it’s the time to act, more than talk.

"I said two months ago what we needed, and 10 days before the start of season we still are where we are. 

"There’s four or five players we thought we could bring - but we haven’t.

When asked if he was close to any new signings:

"I have no idea".

About Rondon:

“Yes. Could be fine if we have an agreement but we have to respect West Brom, and what they decide.

"It seems that Dwight Gayle will stay, so that’s what we have at the moment."

What still needs to be done:

“A lot. For me, I said before, three or four players."

The latest on transfers: 

"I don’t know. We have been working for months - sometimes we can sign players, sometimes we cannot. 

"At the moment, I don’t know."

Rafa^

There you have it folks!

It's a joke, really is. when we got relegated he got who he wanted, now back in the league and chasing stability he gets less? how does this make sense. the club is a laughing stock, look at Bournemouth. 11,000 seater stadium and still breaking our record in signings.

the club is a sham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'm biased as fúck as a Liverpool fan, but if Rafa doesn't have the leverage to make something happen, nobody will.

Ashley has what he perceives as the hen that lays golden eggs, so there's no doubt he wants Rafa to keep working miracles. He will walk though. His pride will only let him put up with the nonsense for so long.

He won’t walk as he’ll have to pay up his deal if he does so. If he was going to walk, he’d have done it ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

This reminds me of 2014/2015 season. Cashley was convinced that we would finish mid-table, even though our squad was well below par. Jack Colback was signed on a free transfer and he was immediately offered to West Ham and remember Cabaye replacement was not signed. We just about survived on the last day and then went on a transfer spree which resulted in relegation. Obviously Ashley is playing the same gamble again.

I firmly believe that nobody will be signed. In the summer of 2011, we were linked with virtually every striker under the sun after the Andy Carroll windfall. Nobody was signed. Expect the same to happen this year. I've watched some Mike Cashley interviews on youtube : the man lies through his teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Paully D wrote: »
    He won’t walk as he’ll have to pay up his deal if he does so. If he was going to walk, he’d have done it ages ago.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see some club struggling a bit in December being more than happy to pay the 6 million to take him away.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all surprised to see some club struggling a bit in December being more than happy to pay the 6 million to take him away.

you can be guaranteed that's what will happen.
    And as a result we'll go straight back down.
    There's not a chance of us staying up as is.

Christ we only have 7 days left of the transfer window. We are screwed bigtime.

you can be guaranteed that's what will happen.
    And as a result we'll go straight back down.
    There's not a chance of us staying up as is.

Christ we only have 7 days left of the transfer window. We are screwed bigtime.

I think we are gone regardless.

Not sure rafa can even save us, he is only really there because the family are still in liverpool, AFAIK he finishes up on matchday saturday and comes back in tuesday, its a nice little number but surely he can see as a manager of his class is being taken for a fool, you can notice it in his latest interviews.

look at the players the teams around us have signed, game changing signings.

Wolves - Joao Moutinho
    Fulham - Andre Schurrle, Mawson
    West Ham - Wilshire, Anderson
    Watford - Deulofeu, Fostor

We have signed bargain basement players.

A week to go we may get 5 players in who knows but they wont be the quality we need, its impulse buys on page 10 of the players wanted rafa gave to the board in May.

Once again they have let the fans down.

I can't believe that our two bit owner who is running the club into the ground, Outdated facilities, dirty stadium etc, is actively trying to discredit a world class manager via the clubs "prefered media partners"

He's literally trying the get Benitez, and by extension, his club to fail.

It's a bizarre example of Ashley's thinking. "tell me what to do will you? I'll show you who's boss"

Ive got my 8yr old supporting newcastle but im getting to a point where im going to not talk about the club players results etc with him. Hopefully the lack of exposure will have him gravitate to a different club (as long as it aint Man U :p)...

No one deserves to be brought up as a newcastle fan at this stage of the clubs existance...

Im expecting a "ashley is willing to sell" statement any day now so he wont have to spend on more players this window

https://www.sportsredirect.com

It's actually a handy site!

tumblr_mboq38NSss1qgxs0l.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Love it!!

lol now I get it..I missed that originally..I guess I get a slap in the face :D

Rafa: "I was told this was a project 2 years ago and we were ready. I am not happy that we just have to survive"

All in front of the second highest friendly crowd in 10 years. The mind boggles

He definitely seems pissed.
    First decent club with some money that comes in for him he'll walk..for 6million he'll be a snip.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/rafa-benitez-reveals-been-ready-14991708

Official newcastle fc account has blocked me for criticising their transfer policy.
    Shocking really.

Official newcastle fc account has blocked me for criticising their transfer policy.
    Shocking really.

Fairly precious alright!

• Advertisement

Shocking really.

Im assuming they havent got many followers left so if they go blocking anyone that criticises them

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Im assuming they havent got many followers left so if they go blocking anyone that criticises them

yeah if I was giving them abuse I'd say fair enough but to point out the lack of signings.
    Another thing I read today...Newcastle have brought in 43million in transfer fees and only spent 17million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Rondon swapped for Gayle, one year loan from what I read

BArra wrote: »
    Rondon swapped for Gayle, one year loan from what I read

One non goalscoring goalscorer for another non goalscoring goalscorer to join our other non goalscoring goalscorers....

I suppose the idea is for him to win ball high up the field and allow Kenedy etc to get on the knockdowns and cause damage in the final third? Rondon's such a weird one... goes through patches of looking genuinely brilliant, between spells of averageness. I think Rafa's a good man to help strikers to do the right things in and around the box though.

• Advertisement

I suppose the idea is for him to win ball high up the field and allow Kenedy and Atsu to get on the knockdowns and cause damage in the final third.

Nah, the plan is he's cheap, he'll do.

Hopefully I'm wrong and rafa will make something out of him.

M5 wrote: »
    Nah, the plan is he's cheap, he'll do.

Hopefully I'm wrong and rafa will make something out of him.

What's the story with Gayle actually? Putting away all his chances in the championship, but looks terrified of the goal in the prem... normally when championship goalscorers fail in the prem, it's because they simply can't beat the higher quality defending to get the chances in the first place... but Gayle was in on goal week in week out and was simply missing easy chances with poor finishing. Mental issue? Some weeks he'd look sharp and switched on in front of goal, but most he just couldn't get anything on target from positions he was burying things the year before.

But i'm basing that mostly off highlights shows - was he missing tonnes in the championship too, but just getting so many opportunities he still scored plenty?

What's the story with Gayle actually? Putting away all his chances in the championship, but looks terrified of the goal in the prem... normally when championship goalscorers fail in the prem, it's because they simply can't beat the higher quality defending to get the chances in the first place... but Gayle was in on goal week in week out and was simply missing easy chances with poor finishing. Mental issue? Some weeks he'd look sharp and switched on in front of goal, but most he just couldn't get anything on target from positions he was burying things the year before.

But i'm basing that mostly off highlights shows - was he missing tonnes in the championship too, but just getting so many opportunities he still scored plenty?

Its strange alright, first time shots into the top corner in the championship and missed sitters in the PL. Its mostly in the head i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Wasn't It said with a while that Gayle mentally struggles with confidence? Some what of a week mentality.

At the end of last season alot of people said get dubravka in, a striker , Kennedy and a CM and they'd be happy.

We've gotten the above, obviously not big names but we got a few in, but the Facebook pages are the biggest load of misery I have ever come across.

If it's not a 50m signing there already convinced were going down. The market in reality is goosed, 50m for richarlson says it all 😂
    Personally think we'll be ok but won't be battling top 8 anyway

You're right the market is upside down, transfers are all over the place. but that shows you the pittance NUFC are paying for players.. I say it every time I post but 17m for Michael owen 13 years ago is still our record fee.

This is now heading for the going rate for top championship clubs yet we haven't broke it?

In today's world this type of fee wouldn't even have people batting an eyelid let alone lining the streets or stadium.

We need to move with the times, ok yes it shows we have done well not paying huge fees and remaining relevant but it has shown twice that it can lead to relegation.

id rather spend 60 million on 2-3 players than on 6.

Edit:Case point 2347 http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11464060/jefferson-lerma-to-undergo-bournemouth-medical

Bournemouth, a mid table championship team for about 10 years before going up agree £30m fee for a player.

I dont care if this fell has no legs it shows the intent from the club.

Missed this yesterday in the main transfer thread. Wtf is going on at that club.
    Gbear wrote: »
    Apparently Newcastle are now withholding bonuses for players so they've refused some media commitments.

https://twitter.com/SkySports_Keith/status/1026468102769438720

At this point I can only assume Ashley is trying to instigate a suicide via Geordie assasination.

Be interesting for the first tv game... No walk on graphic for the newcastle starting 11...

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Be interesting for the first tv game... No walk on graphic for the newcastle starting 11...

If they had all walked up and gave the finger :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Rondon is a great signing. A very underrated player, you have to remember that he spent the majority of his EPL time aying for Tony Pulis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You're right the market is upside down, transfers are all over the place. but that shows you the pittance NUFC are paying for players.. I say it every time I post but 17m for Michael owen 13 years ago is still our record fee.

That fact alone sums up Mike Ashley. Bournemouth spent 25M on a player today and they play in a shoebox.

• Advertisement
Advertisement