Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Rondon buy out clause now set at 16.5 as west brom remain in championship.

This deal needs to be sorted now as a host of PL clubs will be after him, this is a steal at that price ( I know he has only 1 year left on contract but he is a proven player at NUFC), Obviously Gayle can be used in exchange but unsure he wants to stay there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

The same could be said for our manager!

In all likelihood, Ashley would let rafa's contact expire to save a weeks wages.

The fact our manager and our top 2 scorers and one of our best midfield performers are all set to leave tells you all you need to know!

This is the biggest summer for Newcastle in recent years potential of the manager going and a number of senior players.

Kenedy gone (loan up)
    Diame (contract up)
    Rondon (potentially gone)

Players who could go:
    Perez
    Shelvey
    Hayden
    Joselu
    Darlow
    Elliot
    Clarke

None of our players out on loan are worth keeping (maybe lazaar, but a very big maybe)
    colback
    aarons
    murphy

we could end up with one senior striker at the club (gayle)

i'd also cash in on Lascelles now if we can, I feel our defence has been the best it's been in years and it's now come too good for Lascelles
    (liverpool game as an example, 2 goals were down to his bad positioning and 3rd was his own goal)

Schar,Dummet,Lejeune should be our starting back 3

Strong rumours of a middle Eastern takeover, club have said "no comment"

Usual health warnings apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

christ we wouldn't know ourselves if it was true.
    I wonder how long then before the thread would be flooded with the usual bandwagon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Blazer wrote: »
    christ we wouldn't know ourselves if it was true.
    I wonder how long then before the thread would be flooded with the usual bandwagon :)

If you are going head to head with Liverpool for the league, I'll gladly jump on the Newcastle bandwagon. :)

Smells awfully like a stalling tactic to me.

Hopefully I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Newcastle fans have had plenty of false dawns like this in recent times so I'm sure they'll wait until it's confirmed to get excited about it.
    Ashley always seems to overvalue the club and end up not selling. It's like an asset to him and if he feels the value of the club will keep increasing then he is happy to hold onto ownership. It's only if he feels that he can get big money and invest it in a better asset that he will sell.

Imagine Sunderland and Villa losing in Wembley and Newcastle being bought all within 24 hours.....heaven!

But I choose to ignore anything that comes out on Newcastle unless the headline is "Rafa Signs" this is the single most important thing at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Seems in this story, the 350m valuation was met, papers are signed and lodged with the PL... In the last saga, buyers reportedly offered 300m and the fat controller held out for 350m....

Please let this not be another teaser! We've had these almost deals happen too often and resulting in **** all money being spent on player deals as negotiation for the sale of the club were ongoing.

Just have a fear this is The Sun with a fake sheik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Just have a fear this is The Sun with a fake sheik

god even when the Sheik turns up I'll need to see someone tug his beard before I believe it.

Apparently he's a cousin of the guy owning Man City.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/mike-ashley-agrees-huge-newcastle-sale-to-cousin-of-man-city-owner

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

take over talk has nothing got to do with the transfer window being open i presume :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

god even when the Sheik turns up I'll need to see someone tug his beard before I believe it.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/mike-ashley-agrees-huge-newcastle-sale-to-cousin-of-man-city-owner

Yes he is, tried buying liverpool last year and couldnt get money together apparently so remains to be seen if he is genuinely loaded or loads the club with debt. Still anything is better then ashley I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Not even going to read anything about this. I can't deal with the hope coming crashing down when we've signed no one and the magical take over never materialises. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Yes he is, tried buying liverpool last year and couldnt get money together apparently so remains to be seen if he is genuinely loaded or loads the club with debt. Still anything is better then ashley I suppose
    Liverpool FC wasn't for sale - the owners were looking for Middle Eastern partners to increase the club's marketing potential in the region and were offering a minor stake in the club (less than 10%) in return. The supposed billionaire cousin either didn't have the money or didn't fulfil the criteria for being able to grow the club's brand in the Middle East.

Well well well

481289.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They are all the same "tribe", as they refer to themselves.

Will be interesting. A challenger for City's academies here would be a bit of fun. (I'm a football coach in Abu Dhabi for context)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    take over talk has nothing got to do with the transfer window being open i presume :)

The timing is suspiciously convenient, but the big thing for me is no news on Rafa which is a good sign. If it was continue as before Rafa would already be out the door.
    TBH I'm a little surprised Rafa didn't go to Celtic.

I'd be amazed if any manager of Rafa's caliber went to Celtic. Although he's well above Newcastles level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

M5 wrote: »
    I'd be amazed if any manager of Rafa's caliber went to Celtic. Although he's well above Newcastles level

He might not be soon if this takeover goes through. Ashley has hamstrung the club so badly in the transfer market that even a modest investment on the level of Everton would give the club a massive shot in the arm.

As much as I hate financial doping (and nobody knows yet if it’ll even be an investment on the scale of Man City or PSG, if it happens), I definitely wouldn’t begrudge ye of this simply for the fact it would remove Mike Ashley from power, and hopefully away from English football for good.

Any word on how Rafa’s meeting with the board went regarding a new contract?

Rafa talks progressing according to all reports.

That said I'd be amazed if Rafa hasn't had some influence on this deal

I'd be extatic with anything loftier than the last 12 years of aiming for 17th for as cheaply as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Europe every season, financially okay, going for 9 or 10 in a row, guarantee to win trophies. Its an easy number for a manager of his talents but it does have plenty of positives.

Icaras wrote: »
    Europe every season, financially okay, going for 9 or 10 in a row, guarantee to win trophies. Its an easy number for a manager of his talents but it does have plenty of positives.

And absolutely no challenge whatsoever.

If it's a retirement gig, fair enough. But having taken on the, let's be honest, toxic Newcastle job i don't see him as the type to head off to pasture

One Day...

481294.jpg

Soon hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Rafa Benitez with money . The top six is ****ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Icaras wrote: »
    The timing is suspiciously convenient, but the big thing for me is no news on Rafa which is a good sign. If it was continue as before Rafa would already be out the door.
    TBH I'm a little surprised Rafa didn't go to Celtic.
    His family are settled happily in Liverpool and he has been commuting to Newcastle from the family home (approximately 350 mile round trip or 6 hours in a car each day).

I doubt he ever considered the Celtic job for that reason alone - the commute would kill him.

Talisman wrote: »
    His family are settled happily in Liverpool and he has been commuting to Newcastle from the family home (approximately 350 mile round trip or 6 hours in a car each day).

I doubt he ever considered the Celtic job for that reason alone - the commute would kill him.

He doesn't commute every day as far as i'm aware, he stays in Newcastle and goes back to Liverpool Saturday after the game and comes back up Tuesday (players have Sunday off Coaches take Monday training)

Even without the takeover once he was guaranteed money to challenge at the top 8 each year I think he would be happy to stay on for another few years.

Regarding the takeover with Rafa at the helm it will be done right and gradually, Unlike city who had mark hughes signing Robinho, Elano, petrov.

He won't jump the gun and only sign players he feels fit the club.

• Advertisement

Seems to be no indication that this lad has the money. Only possibility is that he may be conducting the deal for somone else, however this is unlikely, and even less lilely to see us splashing the cash.

Healthy dose of scepticism required for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Honestly think this is is load of bullish!t, somebody is up to something whether it’s Ashley trying to drum up interest or this other mob trying to get some publicity for whatever reason. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if this is some ploy to drag on over the summer to distract from actually making any transfers and then come August it’ll conveniently again be yet another case of “a deal couldn’t be reached” and the classic “we couldn’t get it over the line”. And then, oh look, the transfer window closes and because the summer was spent arsing around over a buyout that was never going to happen, we then need to somehow make do with the threadbare squad for next season with no new additions.

"other interested parties" line appears.

Looking like more of the same.

"other interested parties" line appears.

Looking like more of the same.

Soon as I saw this hope was lost

If this is bull****, as it currently appears, what will Rafa do?

couple of things

If it is Bull, NUFC should tell him it's paper talk, continue with negotiations and go from there, deal should really be signed this week. (good thing)

If it's not, this is where I see the problem, Rafa wont sign until its sorted, i doubt it will be complete in 4 weeks, by then Rafa will be feel played (rightly so) and leave.

Then in typical Newcastle fashion deal was never there and we lost our manager.

so unless it is a genuine case and if so, it needs to be completed quick.

or maybe give rafa a buy out clause? if it falls through he walks? (does this even exist)

Being ultra cynical, it would be a great excuse to use if u wanted sgot of Rafa.

Not beyond the realms of possiblility give this lots track record and Raf tends to call out the clubs failings which won't suit

I cant cope with anymore dissapointment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

• Advertisement

I just said i cant take anymore dissapointment! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

****ing awful spot for Benitez.

And dreadful waiting period for an outstanding fanbase. Fingers crossed it works out for ye.

I'm obliged to note that the lads taking ye over might bring a lot of ethical baggage with them. If the focus on City's ownership intensifies, you might face a similar storm.

Funny how we manage for find a spoofer every window!

There must be quite a few of these tyre kicker types about the game.

Also, Ashley is either very dim or playing us by allowing them oxygen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

If it is true surely Rafa will be willing to sign. But here is a curve ball..... what if its true and this guy is really able to spend stupid amounts of money. Do you think Jose might be tempted? I can see him being a big draw for a potential owner but would Newcastle fans want him? Even Algeri could be available. As a pool fan i love Rafa but serious amounts of money opens up serious possibilities.

Jose has strong ties to Newcastle, expect him to manage at the club at some stage. He's past it though by the looks of it and this potential takeover makes it less likely imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jose has strong ties to Newcastle, expect him to manage at the club at some stage. He's past it though by the looks of it and this potential takeover makes it less likely imho

Not at all. One of the best minds in the game. I wouldn't have wanted him removed at Man Utd if I knew he was going to be replaced by the current spoofer.

Worth remembering also Rafa took over Jose's all conquering Inter side and struggled, and at the time was written off as a flop. Was similarly dismissed after his Madrid spell. Football is a rollercoaster where today's supposed flops are tomorrow's most coveted, and vice-versa.

• Advertisement

Not at all. One of the best minds in the game. I wouldn't have wanted him removed at Man Utd if I knew he was going to be replaced by the current spoofer.

Worth remembering also Rafa took over Jose's all conquering Inter side and struggled, and at the time was written off as a flop. Was similarly dismissed after his Madrid spell. Football is a rollercoaster where today's supposed flops are tomorrow's most coveted, and vice-versa.

Yeah, fair point i suppose!

New statement from UAE:

Terms have been agreed between us and Mike Ashley; these terms have been reflected in a document, signed by both parties, which has been forwarded to the Premier League.

"The so called fit-and-proper Premier League process is a standard procedure which will take time, and we are doing all we can to assist the Premier League during this process."

"We feel the need to clarify this point in order for the fans and the general public to understand the timelines."

Interestingly the Pl had not received anything official yesterday other than an acknowledgement that talks were under way.

This is typical of the way Ashley operates, he's smoking out other bidders with this unlikely buyer

"The proof of funds statement was forwarded to Mike Ashley’s lawyers on 17 April 2019."

So either they are full of **** or Ashley is full of **** or both

Also rumours that Benitez is livid that 6 weeks after safety was achieved there is no contract resolution and no transfer activity (he has put on record that the club needs to complete deals early, saving money, ensuring top targets bought, and allowing team to gel)

As usual with Newcastle under Ashley this is a sh1tshow

Also rumours that Benitez is livid that 6 weeks after safety was achieved there is no contract resolution and no transfer activity (he has put on record that the club needs to complete deals early, saving money, ensuring top targets bought, and allowing team to gel)

As usual with Newcastle under Ashley this is a sh1tshow

id be flipping aswell, i'd say rafa gave his terms in January and still they are stalling.

its not that hard, in big bold letters "BACK ME IN THE TRANSFER WINDOW"

Not signing Rondon at this stage is a disgrace, he will get a pain in his hole and accept another club. and we are stuck with joselu and gayle

• Advertisement
Advertisement