Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Chris Hughton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

If ashley just wants to survive, im surprised he isnt just going for Pulis. Free agent too after leaving boro and as toxic as his football is he is a better manager for these circumstances than anyone linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

I'd Personally take Moyes over Bruce all-day.
    I'd genuinely take almost anyone over a man who doesn't " do tactics".

Even one of the newer age german/Dutch managers in the bundesliga etc.

Hughton would be great but never happen.

Apparently 4.5M comp for Bruce and 1.5M for back room staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

No point in speculating on who youd like as alot wont even talk to the club due to ashley and his spending rep...

Eddie howell ...if we are dreaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

BBC Sheffield just interviewed him.
    Looks like hes on his way to you when theres a compromise.
    Good riddance

FFS...Dubravka next one out?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

D_turbo wrote: »
    I'd Personally take Moyes over Bruce all-day.
    I'd genuinely take almost anyone over a man who doesn't " do tactics".

Even one of the newer age german/Dutch managers in the bundesliga etc.

Hughton would be great but never happen.

Apparently 4.5M comp for Bruce and 1.5M for back room staff

Thats mad money for someone who has 6 months left on a contract.

I would'nt mind Karanka, Ranieri, even claude Puel.

Old British managers just dont have the tactics to move with the times.

Be interesting to see who we get in because this Under 28 rule will be out the window with Bruce.

Bruce has just resigned.

Were getting our man...buzzing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

4 million for Bruce. That's our transfer budget for the next 5 seasons in Championship gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

According to the telegraph we have agreed a deal to sign Joelinton from Hoffenheim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Villa fan here, Bruce is absolutely clueless.

I really feel sorry for ye guys, how can anyone go from Benitez to Bruce?

Game V Wolves is live at 11am on sky sports if anyone cares.

Steve Bruce official

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not a toon fan, but what an absolute joke of an appointment

I'm out, lads. God bless those of you who stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Disastrous summer for ye so far. Losing the best manager you have probably had in 30-40 years, losing 20-25 goals in Rondon and Perez, bringing in Bruce and having no money to spend.

The league is better with Newcastle in it.

Championship here we come my head says boycott but I know once the season starts I'll be back watching and no doubt go over for a few games as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

If the fans don't stay away from the games now and stop buying the merchandise, they never will. This appointment is a big f*** you to anyone that supports and cares about Newcastle.

There is no point to the club anymore if they go along with this, essentially allowing Mike Ashley to do whatever the hell he wants.

We will never really compete or be anyway successful in the way we should be.

I'd be ok with us getting relegated again if it meant getting rid of him

fitzparker wrote: »
    Game V Wolves is live at 11am on sky sports if anyone cares.

3-0 down could be 6 or 7

If the fans don't stay away from the games now and stop buying the merchandise, they never will. This appointment is a big f*** you to anyone that supports and cares about Newcastle.

There is no point to the club anymore if they go along with this, essentially allowing Mike Ashley to do whatever the hell he wants.

We will never really compete or be anyway successful in the way we should be.

I'd be ok with us getting relegated again if it meant getting rid of him

Exactly, its been done most years but looks like this one the fans have finally given up. Season ticket sales went on general release with nearly 15000 fans not renewing.

Ashley has got rid of rafa, upped the ticket prices by 5% and supposedly we have the dearest kit in the league. The walls on the outside are being painted to cover the moss, the stadium needs renovations and the training ground has been promised money for years.

Other fans think we are looking for a top 6 club but all we want is to compete with Wolves, watford and bournemouth.... how is this not possible????????

I usually go over a few times a year but im done now, the fans have to make a stand.

This year was supposed to be the first I bring my 8 year old but had to break it down to her and even she understands!

• Advertisement

With bruce confirmed does this mean he can start sanctioning all the players the club have lined deals up for... Ugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

According to Sky News Longstaff is excited at the though of Bruce joining.
    I say the thoughts of that are basically encouraging him to join United more likely.

And apparently Bruce will be handed 90 million lol.

Blazer wrote: »
    According to Sky News Longstaff is excited at the though of Bruce joining.
    I say the thoughts of that are basically encouraging him to join United more likely.

And apparently Bruce will be handed 90 million lol.

It's an insane amount, McClaren all over again.

before the transfer window is out I can Longstaff and maybe Schar gone.

How do ya hand bruce 90 but refuse to back rafa?!

Was rafa a victim of his own sucess? In that he proved he was able to get performances out of ****e players but they recognise that bruce cant and will need better players?!

Bruce is a yes man who will buy the type of players Ashley wants under 28 sell on value etc whereas Benitez wanted a mix of experienced and youth.

Joelinton rumour picking up pace.
    Mental to think we'd even remotely spend 35M on some one, let alone a striker with 7 goals.

Waiting for it to fall apart last minute, if it was ever even a thing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Even if it goes through his record so far is basically a goal every 4 games, so not setting the world on fire just yet. Keep the fingers crossed he finds his form!
    Reports yesterday were saying he was offered up to Rafa by the club as an option. Rafa said he was decent but not worth near that amount of money & if there was £35-odd million to spend why couldn’t he choose who he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Newcastle fans have to stay away and not buy any merchandise. The only thing that Ashley cares about is the value of his asset. If fans stay away and don't buy merchandise then that asset starts to depreciate. He'll be gone very quickly if that happens.

****in Danny Mills....and loved Huckerby's tweet. He gets what the club means to the fans and what Ashley is doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Newcastle win their first game with Steve Bruce in charge.

Hopefully a good sign for results in the future. I think Bruce has enough experience for the job and if he gets the transfer funds that have been mentioned recently (£90million) to get in some top class players maybe a top half finish this season might be a possibility.

Mike Ashley is a business man and must understand that without investment the team wont be able to compete at the top level.

Hoping this is the start of a bit more positivity.

macraignil wrote: »

Hopefully a good sign for results in the future. I think Bruce has enough experience for the job and if he gets the transfer funds that have been mentioned recently (£90million) to get in some top class players maybe a top half finish this season might be a possibility.

Mike Ashley is a business man and must understand that without investment the team wont be able to compete at the top level.

Is this your first year following Newcastle?
    And 90 million is squat. There isn’t a chance Ashely will spend anywhere close to that.
    And we’re wasting a third of that on a striker who has managed 7 goals in 22 games.
    Ashely is just hoping this guy can come on, score a few goals and then flog him next year for 50.
    Although when we get relegated his goal ratio might increase in the championship.

:pac:

Mike?

Is this your first year following Newcastle?
    And 90 million is squat. There isn’t a chance Ashely will spend anywhere close to that.
    And we’re wasting a third of that on a striker who has managed 7 goals in 22 games.
    Ashely is just hoping this guy can come on, score a few goals and then flog him next year for 50.
    Although when we get relegated his goal ratio might increase in the championship.

No. Not my first year supporting Newcastle. I don't agree £90 million is squat and although you are probably right that Ashley might not spend that much it would make a difference to invest that much in the right players. I would have liked to see Benitez, Perez and Rondon at the club next season but with a bit of luck and some good players coming in I don't think this season will mean automatic relegation. If they do reverse the huge under-investment in the team in recent years then I for one would like to see the planned boycott of games at St. James's park abandoned and with a bit of luck and getting in good young players there might be a future for the club in the top division. There are still some good players at the club and Bruce has been a long term supporter of Newcastle United so I don't think it is all negative.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Mike?

Wouldn't be on first name terms with Mr. Ashley myself but you can call him whatever you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No. Not my first year supporting Newcastle. I don't agree £90 million is squat and although you are probably right that Ashley might not spend that much it would make a difference to invest that much in the right players. I would have liked to see Benitez, Perez and Rondon at the club next season but with a bit of luck and some good players coming in I don't think this season will mean automatic relegation. If they do reverse the huge under-investment in the team in recent years then I for one would like to see the planned boycott of games at St. James's park abandoned and with a bit of luck and getting in good young players there might be a future for the club in the top division. There are still some good players at the club and Bruce has been a long term supporter of Newcastle United so I don't think it is all negative.

These two things are directly conradictory - if he was reversing the huge under-investment in the team, Benitez, Rondon, and Perez would still be at the club.

I'm honestly stuck for words...flabbergasted that someone actually believes this.
    Cmon man.you're just a closet mackem just trolling us aren't you? :)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    These two things are directly conradictory - if he was reversing the huge under-investment in the team, Benitez, Rondon, and Perez would still be at the club.

I don't think reversing under-investment in the club has any connection with my opinion on Benitez, Rondon and Perez.

Benitez is a good manager. He did not have a relationship with the club owner that was going to last and so he has gone to a job that pays him way more. If Bruce can do a reasonable job is yet to be revealed but if he can get the team to be more competitive in the league and not just be fighting off relegation maybe he will have a better relationship with the owner.

Rondon was only on loan at the club and while doing very well maybe there is some sense in getting in a young number 9 who will be a better player for the club in a couple of years.

Perez seemed a very good player as well and he has already scored for Leicester in pre-season. At the same time there was talk of him moving to Spain and if he was not happy to stay at Newcastle long term maybe cashing in now made sense. The £30 million could go a long way towards bringing in some of the players rumored to be targets for signing.

I believe what I was saying about reversing the under investment in the team is still to be proven but buying Almiron in the last transfer window was a good start

• Advertisement

Bruce is a crap manager who's achieved diddly squat. He's an utter cabbage.
    How on earth do you think he's going to achieve anything at Newcastle?
    Benitez didn't get on with Ashley because he wouldn't invest in the club.
    Ashley is just determined to get as much money out of NUFC as he can before he dumps the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I'm honestly stuck for words...flabbergasted that someone actually believes this.
    Cmon man.you're just a closet mackem just trolling us aren't you? :)

I like his positivty to be honest. **** hits the fan, ya need a poster like that

*Edit: Dude seems like he playing the hand ye are dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Your relying on a lot of 'luck' Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

There should be a body set up within the FA that investigates owners who are taking the majority of revenue out of the club and investing it in other areas (house of frazer, etc.), then deliberately pricing themselves out of a sale by putting far too high a price on the club.

There is no doubt what is happening here and at Arsenal is a disgrace and people need to be held accountable.

A code of ethics for owners needs to be introduced and adhered to otherwise I can see owners like this becoming a lot more common in the future. Especially since the increase in TV revenue and the huge financial benefit a club will receive by just maintaining its PL status each year. It will ultimately result in a very noncompetitive league with only a few teams at the top challenging which is bad all round for the division.

People may see it as a Newcastle only problem but it will become a league wise problem if individuals like Ashley are allowed to get away with their current behaviour

^^ couldn't agree more.
    Ahsley is basically using the club as a PR firm for his Sporting Direct franchise and so on and has no interest whatsoever in the club or pushing it forward.
    He's quite happy to make a few million profit from transfers and get his money back out of it.
    But we all know the FA will do squat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's a business unfortunately, he's allowed to run it how he sees fit. He's running it at a profit and using the profits for his own interests. The only way this can be stopped is with such a substantial boycott from fans that the business becomes unprofitable for him and he is forced to sell. Hopefully the vast majority of ye will resist the temptation and easy routine of engaging with the club.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's a business unfortunately, he's allowed to run it how he sees fit. He's running it at a profit and using the profits for his own interests. The only way this can be stopped is with such a substantial boycott from fans that the business becomes unprofitable for him and he is forced to sell. Hopefully the vast majority of ye will resist the temptation and easy routine of engaging with the club.

Easy to say and your dead right, but ye have one of the biggest capacities of a stadium in england and it's always going to be full.
    Cant see ashley leaving anytime soon as it's a business that brings in a profit every year. I mean why would he leave.

Why he gave bruce 90mill i dont know, although i actually think bruce will do a job and keep ye in the PL.

I'd love to know why rafa left, i mean ashley is giving bruce 90million, rafa coulda done wonders with that cash

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Easy to say and your dead right, but ye have one of the biggest capacities of a stadium in england and it's always going to be full.
    Cant see ashley leaving anytime soon as it's a business that brings in a profit every year. I mean why would he leave.

Why he gave bruce 90mill i dont know, although i actually think bruce will do a job and keep ye in the PL.

I'd love to know why rafa left, i mean ashley is giving bruce 90million, rafa coulda done wonders with that cash

there's no confirmation that Bruce is getting anywhere close to 90 mill..its just all paper talk.
    They're assuming that he will get all the transfer funds currently raised in addition so a so called 50million budget.
    I call complete bull**** on it. Rafa wanted a 100million and they wouldn't give it to him. And now people think that Ashley is going to hand Bruce 91million? Are these people on drugs or something.

Discussing the ​Magpies' bumper transfer allowance, journalist Rob Dorsett stated: "I understand that there is a £50m transfer budget on top of money they have already generated.

"There is also £30m they received for Ayoze Perez [from ​Leicester City] and £11m left over from the previous January transfer window. Add all that up together and that comes to a budget of £91m for Newcastle to spend in the summer transfer window."

there's no confirmation that Bruce is getting anywhere close to 90 mill..its just all paper talk.
    They're assuming that he will get all the transfer funds currently raised in addition so a so called 50million budget.
    I call complete bull**** on it. Rafa wanted a 100million and they wouldn't give it to him. And now people think that Ashley is going to hand Bruce 91million? Are these people on drugs or something.

Discussing the ​Magpies' bumper transfer allowance, journalist Rob Dorsett stated: "I understand that there is a £50m transfer budget on top of money they have already generated.

"There is also £30m they received for Ayoze Perez [from ​Leicester City] and £11m left over from the previous January transfer window. Add all that up together and that comes to a budget of £91m for Newcastle to spend in the summer transfer window."

I wonder as ye qouted as longstaff being 50million was that money included in. Would make sense then maybe. But like yourself i find it hard to believe

AidoEirE wrote: »
    I wonder as ye qouted as longstaff being 50million was that money included in. Would make sense then maybe. But like yourself i find it hard to believe

even reading what Dorsett posted its complete rubbish.
    We have 11 million left over from last Jan and that's going to be included.
    Does this guy even follow soccer or even know who Newcastle and Mike Ashley are?
    Sky sports must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel now for reporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's a business unfortunately, he's allowed to run it how he sees fit.

That's the key part really, and the only way that could change is if the FA/Premier League take a different approach to what clubs are seen as. It could be argued that they should be treated more as a custodianship, with regulations as to how they must be run, given their importance to their local communities - unlike, say, the franchise system in the US.

Would be nice to see some sort of switch like that, leaning a little more towards the German model, though I'd imagine there would be hefty opposition to it from a lot of the current owners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement