Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Ah lads, its all going to be fine...

BZG, if they even really ever had an interest in buying the club, are talking to one of those entities well known for long term caring for their projects, an american hedge fund.

Sure how could that go wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

We will be grand lads, we beat west ham which means a 19th place finish is a possibility.

in seriousness if this Joelinton does go through I think 40 odd million is crazy, I can put my house on us not making profit on him (which is a good thing because the FCB wont make a profit)

We are also linked with Andy Carroll, I would actually love him back on a pay as you play contract. be great to have another local lad in the squad when we are back playing the mackems next year

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Joelinton spotted in sjp. Still probably manage to mess it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Joelinton signing confirmed for a fee that is claimed to break the Newcastle transfer record.

Problem is ... We probably need another 150m spent to be able to competr for something other than 17th... We need a second striker, another winger, an mc, a DL... Havent had a decent one fpr years, and a dc.... If we keep the remainder of the squad, if we lose more players they will need replacing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Unfrotunately lads steve bruce will probably play joelinton at left back..would be just his style

New away kit is unreal.
    Won't be purchasing but it's very impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I hate the new style kits...I also have a huge problem with a gambling site sponsoring our kits.. plus that manky massive sized logo is horrendous.

I walked all around the new sportdirect store in the neatest town today... And left without buying anything... ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

D_turbo wrote: »

F*ucking Daily Mail, next week it'll be a story about the poor fans.

"Ashley broke the club's transfer record for Joelinton in July, having already done so for Miguel Almiron in January" Ashley might as well have wrote the piece himself.....

I read like a piece trying to undermine the momentum of the bpycott movement. Trying to sway those uncomfortable wiyh the tought of a boycott and hesitantly participating by making tge argument that he is spending money and might stay in charge forever ... Raising the question for some ... Why boycott at all and make the team suffer when it looks like ashley is here to stay...

I think he is worried about the boycott and the number of season tickets left unsold.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I read like a piece trying to undermine the momentum of the bpycott movement. Trying to sway those uncomfortable wiyh the tought of a boycott and hesitantly participating by making tge argument that he is spending money and might stay in charge forever ... Raising the question for some ... Why boycott at all and make the team suffer when it looks like ashley is here to stay...

I think he is worried about the boycott and the number of season tickets left unsold.

If you didn't know his record over how he treats his staff you could say "ok he's a big softie and bought into the dream" and say fair enough.
    But he's a ruthless prick in business and thinks nothing of his staff or how they are treated so you know its a bull**** article.

Blazer wrote: »
    If you didn't know his record over how he treats his staff you could say "ok he's a big softie and bought into the dream" and say fair enough.
    But he's a ruthless prick in business and thinks nothing of his staff or how they are treated so you know its a bull**** article.

There is genuinely so many People out there that read he's interviews and think, fans have it all wrong, we expect to much, he's trying he's best.

But as you said, he is absolutely ruthless. Could not give one **** about the club, this is purely a stunt to pull people back In.

If we sign another 2 people it's literally a screen and a front to show, I'm really trying here, I'm giving it a go.

When people call off the boycott etc, and all's going well, we will be assest stripped again.

Love the new away kit but not buying it this season

He can break the record all he wants.

realistically we have only spent 8 million (30 for Perez 2 for Joselu)

and the wages for Peres,Joselu and Rondon have more than covered Joelinton.

That interview is a ploy as others have said, he wrote it himself and sent it into Daily Mail

So, the transfer window basically done for us (one more could come in but doubt it)

What do you guys think are our chances for the season? How do you think the summer signings went?

Honestly I hadn't heard of anyone we bought but signing a right back can;t be a bad thing!

It looks like our top 3 will possibly be one of the fastest in the league which is exactly what you need in the premier league.

Good to have Longstaff back (and his brother got alot of game time in preseason), great that Hayden stayed (strange nobody came in for him)

We need a good start or bruce will lose the dressing room fast.

Again this takeover crap has died off, or never existent for that matter.

Arsenal game will be interesting.
    Apparently 10 supporter clubs have combined to start protesting and boycotting the matches in order to force Ashely to sell up and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

I have to say I still have the same butterflies before the start of this season as I've had before the start of any other and in particular looking forward to seeing what Joelinton and ASM are like and I'm reasonably hopeful of a positive result on Sunday no doubt I'll look a fool come 4p.m Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Andy Carroll to NU- confirmed. I had to take a double take.

Sure he'll get injured signing the contract..

• Advertisement

I'm delighted with Andy coming back great player to bring on when you need a goal last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Scoundrel wrote: »
    I'm delighted with Andy coming back great player to bring on when you need a goal last 20 minutes.

If he can stay injury free and that is a big 'if'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Who is Emil Krafth? I'm sure strategy Steve has a plan for him anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

For a free transfer it's a great signing. Keep him fit and ye are guaranteed to stay up.

Arsenal game will be interesting.
    Apparently 10 supporter clubs have combined to start protesting and boycotting the matches in order to force Ashely to sell up and leave.

supposedly there is still 12000 tickets left, then there is the season ticket holders who arent turning up also.

but again in typical newcastle style 200 will be outside the ground and 55k in it.

regarding Carroll i honestly think it is a super bit of business, local lad that will give that extra 10% when he plays.

of course the If is there as he wont stay fit, but on a free with a Pay as you play contract (so sources say) we couldnt of asked for a better deal in fairness.

The cynic in me says Ashley signed him just to hopefully stop the supporters from protesting at his homecoming. But he is out for 4 months or so , so there’s that.

Regardless we’re ****ed.How do mediocre managers like Bruce keep getting jobs.
    I mean in real life when your cv basically says you’ve been ****e at all your previous jobs your next potential employer will take one look at you and tell you to let **** off.

• Advertisement

fitzparker wrote: »
    supposedly there is still 12000 tickets left, then there is the season ticket holders who arent turning up also.

but again in typical newcastle style 200 will be outside the ground and 55k in it.

regarding Carroll i honestly think it is a super bit of business, local lad that will give that extra 10% when he plays.

of course the If is there as he wont stay fit, but on a free with a Pay as you play contract (so sources say) we couldnt of asked for a better deal in fairness.

I think a lot of people will go in on the day there'll probably be 40k plus and the official attendance figure will include all ST holders whether they are there or not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Commentary on Sky were saying attendance was around 47,000, & they showed some areas of empty seating at the start of the game. It’s something at least. Not sure if the 47k was with or without the season ticket holders though.

We played ok but I was disappointed with the lack of chances created, seemed to always fall down with the final ball. Almiron looks good & runs all day but there’s no payoff at the end. Thought Willems losing possession for their goal was very poor. Onwards to Norwich! C’mon the Toon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Long balls, players played out of position, no haste to get back into the game. Pardew part 2. 1-0 loss is a successful first outing for Bruce. I'm sure himself and Ashley will be snorting lines of gravy all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Very strange decision to take off Shelvey early in the second half and even more so since the player coming in has normally played as a left full back and there was already Ritchie and Dummett on the pitch. Playing with three left full backs is something Benitez would not have done in my opinion and I reckon if he was still with the club he could have got the players to grind out a draw. Not enough quality to get a win from what I could see. Tough run of games to start the season and there's going to have to be some improvement if Newcastle are going to get any points over the next few weeks. Saint-Maximin looks to have great potential going forward so if he starts getting to play full games it could be an improvement.

Shelvey injured himself in the first half, i think it was why he got took off so early in the second half.

It took way too long to get the message across to Ritchie to come into the middle, either Willems wasnt told before going on or didn't should loud enough!

It was a lazy goal to give away but the ball from dummett was far to short anyway, much like most of the passing yesterday, every second or 3rd pass was lazy.

Taking shelvey and longstaff off really rocked the balance of the team, bruce after said, Lacelles was ill and dummett was injured and that is why Ki wasnt in the squad (even though he was fully fit) but he had 4 defenders on the bench???? really strange choice of a bench for me. he should have took the chance and put Ki in.

As others alluded to Almiron will run all day but we need a finishing product, Joelinton looks good just needs to get with the pace of the PL, Maxim has the skill to either go the way of Oberton or Ben arfa, time will tell.

Manquillo didnt play too bad, I said it last year his crossing needs big work, especially if its what Joelinton is feeding off.

• Advertisement

Yeah the first half was decent and Arsenal actually looked there for the taking for a while second half performance was very poor disjointed players playing out of position etc Joelinton looked decent had a couple of half chances and Saint Maximin looked very lively when he came on. As the previous poster said it was madness not to have Ki on the bench given that it was Longstaffs first game in months and Shelvey is never the fittest either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

3 or 4 mins left vs spurs, awaiting the inevitable equalizer by spurs :pac:

Edit: wow im shocked! defending was excellent for the most part

Cracking result and performance yesterday bodies on the line tactically much better set up suited the players we have much like the tail end of last season. I thought Joelinton was excellent took his goal really well and worked his socks off as well brought people into the game very well Almiron supported him excellently the 3 centre halves were heroic Dummett in particular all in all a very good win and performance not good for the head on Monday morning.

Bruce interviewed earlier saying there are real fitness concerns over Lascelles Schar Joelinton Almiron and Atsu for tomorrow night so expect another scratch team in a cup competition as usual

That game was there for the taking.
    Atsu looked like a decent threat. Williams looked good to. Joelinton is beyond isolated. Not sure how he'll ever get goals at this rate.
    Muto lively when came on

What a hit . Great start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

4 points from the opening 5 games, I would have taken this in the beginning to be honest given the fixtures we have and what happened in the summer.

Reasons to be positive: great result against spurs, draw against an inform Leicester in the cup and unfortunate not to beat watford. 3 potentially top 4 team fixtures out of the way for the first half of the season (spurs, liverpool & arsenal)

Reasons to be concerned: terrible defeat against Norwich although after what happened to city yesterday, maybe it wasnt so bad. Losing 3 out of our opening 5 fixtures.

Next three results will define Bruces era with us imo, home to Brighton, home to united and away to Leicester. Failure to pick up another 4 points and then the pressure will really be on and I can see the season going downhill from there.

Points of interest:

- Hard to know with Joelinton, did well against spurs but still only has one goal from from his opening 5 games with us. Next 3 games will define his time with us too.

- Almiron has gone very quiet, is it down to the change in management or was he really not that good in the first place?

- Bruce seems to be gathering support in the media, but no doubt, if we continue to struggle, they will turn on him and ashley no doubt

Anyone playing in the MLS is really in the twilight of their career.
    Even Zlatan who's very nearly at the end of his is still miles above anyone else out there.
    Almiron also has only scored 1 goal for his country in 23 games which is a shocking statistic for a CAM/CF.
    Ashley paid way over the odds for him especially when you consider he wouldn't pay 16 million for Rondon who was scoring goals for us.
    And to be honest if Almiron was really any good he'd have been snapped up by teams better than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Anyone playing in the MLS is really in the twilight of their career.
    Even Zlatan who's very nearly at the end of his is still miles above anyone else out there.
    Almiron also has only scored 1 goal for his country in 23 games which is a shocking statistic for a CAM/CF.
    Ashley paid way over the odds for him especially when you consider he wouldn't pay 16 million for Rondon who was scoring goals for us.
    And to be honest if Almiron was really any good he'd have been snapped up by teams better than us.

Thats the thing with this idiot of an owner we have. Has no issue in dropping about 21 million on an mls talent and well above that for a brazilian who has only managed 7 goals in Germanys top division all the while stiffing a great manager we had for any money whatsover while also accusing him of being the one who is obsessed by money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Lads, I go away for a couple of years and somehow the club is in an even bigger mess than it was....

Depressingly it's been 20+ years to the day that we beat Barcelona 3-2.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Lads, I go away for a couple of years and somehow the club is in an even bigger mess than it was....

Depressingly it's been 20+ years to the day that we beat Barcelona 3-2.

It will be another 20 before we are there again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

A terrible 1st half

This team looks so poor

nasty tackle from hayden, what was he mouthing off as he was marching off towards the dugout?

'whats the point?' :confused:

Rubbish of the highest order

yup, have turned it off now, horrible to watch

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

This is gonna be a long dismal winter 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

All hope is lost.

Not joelintons fault in any way but the fact we paid 40m for him as an unknown to English football and wouldnt give rafa half that for a proven premier league scorer in Rondon just sums up the whole ****ing joke.

No point sacking Bruce, sure who's gonna take the job, roddy Collins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

tastyt wrote: »
    All hope is lost.

Not joelintons fault in any way but the fact we paid 40m for him as an unknown to English football and wouldnt give rafa half that for a proven premier league scorer in Rondon just sums up the whole ****ing joke.

No point sacking Bruce, sure who's gonna take the job, roddy Collins?

I like Joelinton but to pay 40 mill for him and not to spend it on a proven goalscorer is criminal -
    Almiron is decent but he’s being made play in his own half - this team is terrible and I can’t see a way back -
    Man united next week we must play on front foot and play Carroll from start and try rough them up a bit

I like Joelinton but to pay 40 mill for him and not to spend it on a proven goalscorer is criminal -
    Almiron is decent but he’s being made play in his own half - this team is terrible and I can’t see a way back -
    Man united next week we must play on front foot and play Carroll from start and try rough them up a bit

We are a sham, no tactics, our defence looks dismal and dropping Dubronka might not be a bad thing.

Almiron takes 10 too many touches each time, go with Maxim who can create and end product.

against united we should go Joelinton and Carroll up front, it's what bruce wants to do with his 1985 outlook on football, just use the big men and see how we get on, cant be any worse.

• Advertisement

That was as bad as anything I've seen worse than even the McClaren era no tactics no plan players look disinterested some of the defending and especially the goalkeeping yesterday was comical like stuff you'd see down the park. While Steve Bruce is a total oaf and incompetent beyond belief he is merely a by product of the disease that is Mike Ashley.

Advertisement