Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It’s an absolute joke that anyone thinks Bruce can do a job as coach. Ashely might as well just hire the tea lady on a joint contract. It boggles me how this guy ever became a billionaire,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

at this moment what do you think Ashley is actually thinking?

id love to know does he give a **** if when we down? what was the reason behind bruce of all people?

as an owner of something you have to want to make it work, I dont get it.

I’m fully convinced he’s only using it as a way of getting his money back from the sale of players and saving on advertising for his shops.
    As soon as he’s happy with what he gets back he’ll dump us to whoever hands over a few bob.
    I mean 40million on Joelington and 20mill on Almiron.
    Even City would baulk at wasting that on half rate players when they got took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Why on earth would he want to sell us?? He has free advertising, is making a healthy profit us each year even if we get relegated upon which he will receive a parachute payment. He has been making a killing on Newcastle for years & he is the type of individual that would never turn that down irrespective of his relationship with the fans.

Any notions of him selling are completely misguided, he has been deliberately misleading the fans with regard to this in order to keep their interest.

He knows the fans are loyal to the bone and irrespective of how they are performing on the pitch, will turn up in their droves.

As for him choosing Bruce, there is a bit of the nationalist in him, much in the same way he appointed McClaren, Alan Shearer, Alan Pardew. He believes in the british managers almost to a fault especially ones from that region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Agree with the above. If there 45k+ attendance every week he'd be a fool to sell. Only way to get rid of him is to not turn up,he stops making money an sells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

We may be ****e and operating on a shoestring budget but getting lads born and bred in the area in the team might be our best way to survive. Guys who genuinely care about the club. Great day for the Longstaffs and good to see Carroll back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Absolutely delighted with that always great to beat them great to see 2 local lads and brothers starting in centre mid matty looks a good baller. It was a very Benitez like performance dare I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted with that always great to beat them great to see 2 local lads and brothers starting in centre mid matty looks a good baller. It was a very Benitez like performance dare I say.

Heard strategy Steve Skyped Rafa before the match to get some semblance of tactics to the team.

Did he not say in an interview he needs to go back to the "old tactics" players are used to (i.e. Rafa's worked so stick to that rather than implementing empty head tactics)

To be honest I wouldnt get carried away with that performance, was it any different to liverpool/watford? united offered nothing, we just came up against a worse side.

hopefully the team got a boost out of it, bit crap that its now international weekend our next 5 or 6 games will define us.

fitzparker wrote: »
    Did he not say in an interview he needs to go back to the "old tactics" players are used to (i.e. Rafa's worked so stick to that rather than implementing empty head tactics)

To be honest I wouldnt get carried away with that performance, was it any different to liverpool/watford? united offered nothing, we just came up against a worse side.

hopefully the team got a boost out of it, bit crap that its now international weekend our next 5 or 6 games will define us.

Yeah they were the perfect team for us to play possibly the only team more inept than us but I thought we were a lot more solid with the 3 CB's and Yedlin adds a further counter attacking threat along with Almiron ASM and Willems so there are some positives. It's a very tough game after the break away to an inform Chelsea hopefully we can dig in and frustrate them and catch them on the break they've shown considerable vulnerability to the counter attack this season.

• Advertisement

We have one of the fastest teams in the PL if the likes of Maxim,Almiron,Yedlin all start, so the counter attack is our only way really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

anyone think its funny how the two longstaffs have never played underage for England or any international team? it seems anyone who has any talent plays underage international football.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Anyone know if I buy membership will I get a ticket for the Chelsea game Saturday ? It says there available for members on website , but don't renew it this year. If I could get a ticket to the away end I would probably pay it

Not sure, it says members sale but doesnt give points, so id say you could be ok

but follow a few @handles on twitter

@Nufc Spares tickets

some guy put up 30 mins ago he has 2 tickets a face value and will meet at stamford bridge????

other twitter pages are

@NUFC away days
    @Nufcaway tickets

but the first seems to be the most active

Anyone interested I got the flights and hotel for €100 for myself and little one to go over for her first game. V Chelsea 18th January.

Flights at time of booking €24 per person (sat to sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Blazer wrote: »
    It’s an absolute joke that anyone thinks Bruce can do a job as coach. Ashely might as well just hire the tea lady on a joint contract. It boggles me how this guy ever became a billionaire,

The problem with Bruce is that he gets a free pass from the media. It's only when he manages your team you realise how truly awful he is. I watched most of his games at Villa and after grinding out the 1 nil wins you don't come away with any pleasure just a sense that it's not how football should be played. You could argue that he got Villa to a play off final but most Villa fans would agree that getting promoted under SB would have not have been good for the club.

For you guys it's just a question of when he goes you can repair the damage he's done .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Thought we were poor yesterday but stayed in game for long period yesterday

Taking of almiron for carroll is so pathetic from Bruce - 3 mins later they score

Could understand if we were at home and pushing for goal but we’re hanging on and having 2 lads up front who aren’t very mobile is just stupid. Atsu was man to bring on for Almiron for fresh legs

Anyone interested I got the flights and hotel for €100 for myself and little one to go over for her first game. V Chelsea 18th January.

Flights at time of booking €24 per person (sat to sunday)

I'm going over to that game myself flying over friday night back monday morning.

pavb2 wrote: »
    The problem with Bruce is that he gets a free pass from the media. It's only when he manages your team you realise how truly awful he is. I watched most of his games at Villa and after grinding out the 1 nil wins you don't come away with any pleasure just a sense that it's not how football should be played. You could argue that he got Villa to a play off final but most Villa fans would agree that getting promoted under SB would have not have been good for the club.

For you guys it's just a question of when he goes you can repair the damage he's done .

At this rate he’s bound to be sacked by Xmas.
    Plus the 61 million quid spent on Almiron and Joelington has so far returned one goal.
    Rafa and Rondon must be laughing their asses off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i am planning on going to a newcastle game in january, i have never been in st james park, anyone any recommendations on what the best seats are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i am planning on going to a newcastle game in january, i have never been in st james park, anyone any recommendations on what the best seats are?

There's no real bad seats from what I can tell it depends on what you want. I've been behind the goals and at the side between the box and midfield line. I'd prefer the side of the pitch view. You can get a sense of better seats when you see the ticket prices for the different areas.

pgj2015 wrote: »

Just don't go to level 7 and you'll be fine.

A decent first half performance in all fairness deserved to be 1 up at half time but pretty awful in the second half lucky to hang on for the draw in the end we seemed to be terrified of the ball in the second half. I thought the red card was very harsh as well clearly wins the ball and follows through I just don't get what players are supposed to do in that situation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Super Steve.

Great win, nervous nervous ending but always is with us

D_turbo wrote: »
    Super Steve.

Great win, nervous nervous ending but always is with us

Yeah I was full sure it would be 3-3 after they got the second one but a terrific win for us made even more important by the fact that all the teams around us either lost or drew.

To be 12 points from 11 games having played 5 or the classic big 6 and away to a flying Leicester has to be seen as good start. It’s awful to watch and we’ve actually slipped up against the teams we’d expect to be competitive against. But have to be quietly satisfied

Bridge93 wrote: »
    To be 12 points from 11 games having played 5 or the classic big 6 and away to a flying Leicester has to be seen as good start. It’s awful to watch and we’ve actually slipped up against the teams we’d expect to be competitive against. But have to be quietly satisfied

Yeah that sums things up quite well in fairness. Bruce does deserve some credit after a shaky start he's gone back to a successful formula and made us hard to beat with the 3 centre backs and playing on the counter. We were absolutely woeful under Rafa this time last season so if anything its an improvement ASM has been a real positive for us but for me the best signing has been Willems he's been outstanding in the last few games.

our front 5 is probably the best we can send out in my opinion,

back 5 can still be switched about and be stronger (schar and ritchie maybe coming in) but as above Willems has been decent and Clarke has been good on the left of the 3 also.

If Almiron and ASM can start getting on the score sheet it will be through Joelinton which will only up his confidence.

our front 5 is probably the best we can send out in my opinion,

back 5 can still be switched about and be stronger (schar and ritchie maybe coming in) but as above Willems has been decent and Clarke has been good on the left of the 3 also.

If Almiron and ASM can start getting on the score sheet it will be through Joelinton which will only up his confidence.

Yeah if we can get any of the front 3 scoring we'll have the makings of a decent side it's mad to think that Ritchie will struggle to get back into the team given how influential he has been.

• Advertisement

Actually I totally forgot about Lejeune he will be fit soon enough (played reserves during the week)

Dummet will be pushed right down the pecking order and then its down to ritchie or Willems on the left.

I think Yedlin is the best of a bad bunch on the right, in terms of pace and attacking option, if he has Schar, Jamell and Lejeune there to cover him he can go forward as much as he likes.

Actually I totally forgot about Lejeune he will be fit soon enough (played reserves during the week)

Dummet will be pushed right down the pecking order and then its down to ritchie or Willems on the left.

I think Yedlin is the best of a bad bunch on the right, in terms of pace and attacking option, if he has Schar, Jamell and Lejeune there to cover him he can go forward as much as he likes.

Yeah in terms of going forward Yedlin is fine but in an ideal world we would strengthen on that side and lejeune will add a bit of quality on the ball also christ i actually think i'm looking forward to saturdays game now.

We have always struggled at right back for some reason, 3 there at the moment and none stand out (kraft, Yedlin, Manquillo)

Of recent times when was the last time we actually had a decent right back?

Beye? Carr? Simpson? Ryan Taylor?

none stand out.

Compared to left back (which is a tougher position to fill in my opinion we have been fine

(Dummett, Willems, Enrique, Van Anholt (had a great season on loan)

A few blasts from the past there alright Beye looked very impressive for a time and I'll always have a fondness for R Taylor with his free kick against the mackems a real solid pro other than that as well came back from a horrible injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Janmaat was decent for a while

tastyt wrote: »
    Janmaat was decent for a while

He was until his last season I remember he got awful stick the infamous Southampton away game

• Advertisement

I hated janmaat, especially his last 2 seasons, always caught ball watching and his positional sense of surroundings were terrible.

in the last season I would go as far as he lost Newcastle the most amount of points

such a dislike I completely forgot about him

7 clear of the drop. Can’t say I expected that. Although staying up just validates the fat controller’s policies. Having said that being relegated won’t get rid of him either so may as well make the best of it we can

Another solid performance should have won by more really. Shelvey was excellent yesterday I thought played some real quality passes upto front 3 who are really dangerous just cant score if they start scoring we could be on for top half. Bruce certainly deserves some credit aswell surpassing admittedly low expectations.

Good performance yesterday, its not actually a bad thing our defence is scoring and attack isnt, because once that click comes from the top three we will have goals coming from everywhere, Lascelles getting injured inst the worst, we have 2 weeks until our next game and Lejeune should go straight in anyway.

Overall (and I would have been the first to give Bruce stick) we aren't that bad off. 3 points off 5th place, 7 points away from relegation zone ( meaning those three teams have to win 3 games to catch us) and another bonus is we have played 5 of the "top 6" with 6 games to go until half the season is complete.

International break comes at a bad time as the team is really starting to get going, I also read we had 20 attempts at goal! you can read that as a bad thing but when couldn't even get a shot off a few weeks ago this shows major confidence in the team.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Miggy knocks another one in for Paraguay, I BELIEVE IN ALMIRON!! 😂

• Advertisement

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Miggy knocks another one in for Paraguay, I BELIEVE IN ALMIRON!! 😂

Lovely finish as well he'll score for us soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

How would it take to travel from Newcastle airport to the ground directly?

Soulsun wrote: »
    How would it take to travel from Newcastle airport to the ground directly?

Get the metro get off at haymarket and walk to the ground maybe 40 minutes or so.

Stadium is city centre.

as above get metro or about £20-£25 taxi.

Cheers lads ... heading over the city game and they brought the game forward.. cutting it fine time wise.

Flights only about 40 mins, you will be out the airport in 10 mins.

Straight in a taxi and you should have enough time to grab a pint before.

City centre is only about 20 mins

Flights only about 40 mins, you will be out the airport in 10 mins.

Straight in a taxi and you should have enough time to grab a pint before.

City centre is only about 20 mins

Cheers lads

Not to channel my inner Kevin Keegan here but I would love it if we beat these tonight I still haven't forgiven them for waving their homemade spunk stained bedsheet banners at us in 09 no need for it from the sports direct clad troglodytes that follow villa after the mackems they are my most hated team.

Yedlin is a disgrace there what was he doing??

This is a disgraceful performance absolutely pathetic gutless cowardice

• Advertisement
Advertisement