Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Takeover looking close lads Ashley might finally be gone

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Takeover looking close lads Ashley might finally be gone

Newcastle looking like yet another club coming under Arab ownership.

Blazer wrote: »
    When the lead of Basildon council tells you that you are the lowest of the low and tells your workers not to go into work and that the council will cover their wages then you know that Ashely is one of the scummiest people in the UK.

I wonder what the leader of Basildon Council thinks of people who murder journalists and use war and genocide to strengthen their position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

The end is nigh? Documents submitted to companies house which indicates takeover is in advanced stages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52284645

I wonder what the leader of Basildon Council thinks of people who murder journalists and use war and genocide to strengthen their position?

I'd imagine he couldnt give a ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I cannot see it being the Saudi Royal family that are buying Newcastle, as I doubt a family that rich would need a loan off Mike Ashley to buy the club,

I'd imagine he couldnt give a ****e

Wouldn't he?

His party have previously expressed outrage at the activities of the Saudi royal family, bombing civilian targets in Yemen and instigating the humanitarian crisis there...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may-mbs-saudi-arabia-yemen-war-british-arms-sales-complicit-a8980651.html

Wouldn't he?

His party have previously expressed outrage at the activities of the Saudi royal family, bombing civilian targets in Yemen and instigating the humanitarian crisis there...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may-mbs-saudi-arabia-yemen-war-british-arms-sales-complicit-a8980651.html

Fair play to him anyway back to the topic at hand there'll be some demand for season tickets/tickets in general if this goes through.

Seems like a lot of the hate for Ashley was because he wasn't stupid enough to blow his entire fortune on player transfers and wages.

Fans will probably be happy if some Arab country with some medieval legal system and worse human rights record comes in and bankrolls everything.

'cos priorities right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

glasso wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of the hate for Ashley was because he wasn't stupid enough to blow his entire fortune on player transfers and wages.

Fans will probably be happy if some Arab country with some medieval legal system and worse human rights record comes in and bankrolls everything.

'cos priorities right!

FCB was toxic for the club and the city, we'd love someone coming in and spending big but realistically we'd just like someone to come in and run it as a club and not a company where the bottom line is the only importance, never more obvious that the current actions with the virus

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »
    FCB was toxic for the club and the city, we'd love someone coming in and spending big but realistically we'd just like someone to come in and run it as a club and not a company where the bottom line is the only importance, never more obvious that the current actions with the virus

in fairness a lot of clubs are now run as companies successfully - Liverpool, Man Utd etc -> a football club as a money pit is not a long-term plan....

eventually the vanity projects may well run out - e.g. Abramovich losing interest at Chelsea

you could criticise Ashley for keeping his shops open but maybe those workers will have jobs to come back to where millions won't.

He was certainly toxic in the fan's mind by the end but he's a businessman, not a moron. He was the one paying Benitez the big bucks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Welcome to the Genocide supporting proxy petrol state funded human rights abusing corner lads! Buckle the seat belts!

I’m delighted for Newcastle, fingers crossed the deal gets done & ye dine at the top table again.

Even Barcelona are up sh1t creek financially now - Messi is amazing but paying him €100 million a year is business muppetry of the highest order

https://www.spiegel.de/international/world/football-leaks-lionel-messi-s-100-million-euro-contract-a-1187549.html

in fairness a lot of clubs are now run as companies successfully - Liverpool, Man Utd etc -> a football club as a money pit is not a long-term plan....

eventually the vanity projects may well run out - e.g. Abramovich losing interest at Chelsea

you could criticise Ashley for keeping his shops open but maybe those workers will have jobs to come back to where millions won't.

He was certainly toxic in the fan's mind by the end but he's a businessman, not a moron. He was the one paying Benitez the big bucks.

Yes those clubs are run successfully as business, but business who understand that it is also a club, your first examples handling for the furloughing of staff is a perfect example of the difference between a club that listens to its supporters and one that does not. Its not even been a successful business model, relegated twice in 6 seasons is not good business especially in both cases where the run up to those relegation's had bright spells that we could have pushed on from, but that is not what FCB does, he says himself that it was a mistake to buy NUFC and it does not suit his business. As i said, I dont expect huge money thrown at the club, just want him gone.

I said Man U and Liverpool were successful - I didn't say Newcastle were.

Newcastle don't have the global reach of Liverpool and Man U so won't have access to the additional revenue that that allows.

All the same if it is the Saudis coming in and all the signs say it is, it is tainted money. They are a lot worse than the Abu Dhabi crowd at city and the Qatarais at PSG. e.g. Yeemen war, Khashoggi etc etc

Re the furloughing - what is happening in the real world outside football clubs with jobs? - not sure why exactly football clubs should be so different to be honest?

The longer this goes on, the less talk there will be about that and all clubs will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

As much as I want Ashley gone I couldn’t bear to see any scum like Salman buying our club.

never mind the fact that Rafa Benitez was a dead ringer for Khashoggi

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fa806e14a-cdef-11e8-998e-a6e3c63abd14.jpg?crop=3848%2C2165%2C327%2C539&resize=1180

rafa-benitez.jpg

I said Man U and Liverpool were successful - I didn't say Newcastle were.

Newcastle don't have the global reach of Liverpool and Man U so won't have access to the additional revenue that that allows.

All the same if it is the Saudis coming in and all the signs say it is, it is tainted money. They are a lot worse than the Abu Dhabi crowd at city and the Qatarais at PSG. e.g. Yeemen war, Khashoggi etc etc

Re the furloughing - what is happening in the real world outside football clubs with jobs? - not sure why exactly football clubs should be so different to be honest?

The longer this goes on, the less talk there will be about that and all clubs will do it.

Ah I see what's happening now, I post something, you don't read it and post some nonsense, I'll be ignoring you now thanks.

Ah I see what's happening now, I post something, you don't read it and post some nonsense, I'll be ignoring you now thanks.

that gives me a great laugh -

grand if the place is owned and run by murderers once it's more like a "club".

Blazer wrote: »
    As much as I want Ashley gone I couldn’t bear to see any scum like Salman buying our club.

Same issue at Leeds, linked to the PSG owners, part of Qatar's state investment authority, when that country is linked to terrorist organisations.

I'd prefer to see Leeds stay penniless and in the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Seems like a lot of the hate for Ashley was because he wasn't stupid enough to blow his entire fortune on player transfers and wages.!

Dont be confusing Ashley's fortune with the money the CLUB generated, and subsequently wasnt spent. Not only not spent but actually appearing to disappear in the accounting, when the accounts were filed under Sports Direct.

Newcastle fans are not the morality police, nor should they be, take your issues up with your local government representatives if it bothers you that much.

I'll leave the antagonism of the rest of your posts for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Healio wrote: »
    Dont be confusing Ashley's fortune with the money the CLUB generated, and subsequently wasnt spent. Not only not spent but actually appearing to disappear in the accounting, when the accounts were filed under Sports Direct.

Newcastle fans are not the morality police, nor should they be, take your issues up with your local government representatives if it bothers you that much.

Yeah, Ashley was absolutely terrible alright. The new lads are actual monsters though. Like, there are levels of social morality, everybody has their line where they have to finally just stop and say “ah, here...”, and that line is different from person. Would have to think genocide and murdering journalists is probably beyond that line for most people in fairness though...

Turning into the Man City thread already & the deal isn’t even completed yet lol.

Fans are going to turn on ye big time, no longer be ‘everyone’s second team’ same happened at City, most important thing is to not give a fcuk what other fans think about ye, especially the morality police.

Best of luck to ye. That club deserves this takeover.

Abu Dhabi (City) and Qatar (PSG) have nothing on the Saudis.

They (Saudis) are a whole different other level. Not even comparable in terms of atrocities.

Seeing Mister Bone Saw up in the stand would be some craic.

Aside from the 100,000 dead directly due to the Saudi's Yemen war, as another example of many out there-> here you have the case of a young lad about to go to the US to study, arrested at 17 literally at the airport for added effect, beaten and tortured and later beheaded, just for attending a rally.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.voanews.com/student-union/saudi-accepted-michigan-school-was-among-37-beheaded%3famp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

gstack166 wrote: »
    Welcome to the Genocide supporting proxy petrol state funded human rights abusing corner lads! Buckle the seat belts!

I’m delighted for Newcastle, fingers crossed the deal gets done & ye dine at the top table again.

Again? When did Newcastle ever “dine at the top table” before? 1927 the last of 4 league titles, 1955 the last FA Cup they won? They’re Just another vanity plaything for dodgy scumbag owners.

Fans are going to turn on ye big time, no longer be ‘everyone’s second team’ same happened at City, most important thing is to not give a fcuk what other fans think about ye, especially the morality police.

Imagine. When this guy picked Man City as a kid, did he ever think his loyalty to a club in another country would see him dismissing massive humanitarian crises with a "yerra fcuk the kids in Yemen, as long as the club I picked at random wins football matches"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Turning into the Man City thread already & the deal isn’t even completed yet lol.

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Healio wrote: »

Not confirmed yet if this takeover will go through but if some wealth fund based on profits from selling oil takes over I think it could be good for the club with the possibility that the investment in players of quality will improve. I completely agree with the statement that Newcastle supporters are not the morality police.

Imagine. When this guy picked Man City as a kid, did he ever think his loyalty to a club in another country would see him dismissing massive humanitarian crises with a "yerra fcuk the kids in Yemen, as long as the club I picked at random wins football matches"...

Show me where anyone on this forum let alone thread has dismissed humanitarian issues? Weird comment to make, not surprising though, you have a habit of it.

• Advertisement

Show me where anyone on this forum let alone thread has dismissed humanitarian issues? Weird comment to make, not surprising though, you have a habit of it.

I note you are not only angry, but also getting personal.

You dismissed those with concerns about humanitarian crises as "the morality police". Are you now turning around and saying in fact their concerns are valid and you have issues with the actions of the owners of Man City and those linked with Newcastle, Leeds and other clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Imagine having shedloads of money and steve bruce in charge.
    Surely they will change managers at first opportunity

I note you are not only angry, but also getting personal.

You dismissed those with concerns about humanitarian crises as "the morality police". Are you now turning around and saying in fact their concerns are valid and you have issues with the actions of the owners of Man City and those linked with Newcastle, Leeds and other clubs?

First you accuse me of ‘dismissing humanitarian rights’ now you’re accusing me of being angry both without any foundation & im the one getting personal? Lol

I dismissed those who have a problem with supporters supporting their club. Supporters have no control over what the clubs owners do, it’s no crime being happy that someone wants to invest money into a area or club. This a football discussion thread there’s plenty of threads about world conflict.

Supporters have no control over what the clubs owners do, it’s no crime being happy that someone wants to invest money into a area or club.

that is all very convenient.

by the same token then, if a gang of paedophiles bought your local pub it would be grand sure!

be happy that they invested into a local area. punters have no control over what the owners do.

It's no different.

First you accuse me of ‘dismissing humanitarian rights’ now you’re accusing me of being angry both without any foundation & im the one getting personal? Lol

I dismissed those who have a problem with supporters supporting their club. Supporters have no control over what the clubs owners do, it’s no crime being happy that someone wants to invest money into a area or club. This a football discussion thread there’s plenty of threads about world conflict.

Your points are nonsense.

No one has an issue with supporters supporting their clubs. But it is possible to support a club and concede that the actions of the owners are appalling. In fairness to the NUFC posters, I think you're the only one who has been glib about humanitarian crises.

Furthermore the idea that the off field actions of players, managers or owners cannot be raised because discussion here is limited to football only is ridiculous. You yourself have discussed the of field behaviour of sports players.

It's mad that the only person defending the proespective Newcastle owners is a Man City fan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Exciting times folks. I might start even contributing to this thread again once Ashley goes.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's mad that the only person defending the proespective Newcastle owners is a Man City fan...

I haven’t even mentioned them let alone defended them ffs. Have a lie down.

I haven’t even mentioned them let alone defended them ffs. Have a lie down.

Every comment you have made about this takeover has been wholeheartedly favouring it. I don't see how you can have that opinion, and not be said to have a positive position on the circumstances of the takeover. There is zero sense of nuance in your commentary - there's not even a hint of; "it sucks to have genuinely evil owners, but at least the club will be financial stable". You have made it clear you are aware of the atrocities committed by the prospective owners, and yet at no point condemned them, or presented this as anything other than a good thing. Indeed, it actually reads like you're flippantly making light of what they've done.

I genuinely get the impression that you are happier this deal is happening this way with these people, rather than if it was a normal new owner coming in.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I genuinely get the impression that you are happier this deal is happening this way with these people, rather than if it was a normal new owner coming in.

A normal new owner didn't come, so after 13 years we'll take anything.
    I'm not sure what you expect, suddenly thousands of NUFC fans to just stop supporting their team? Protest the change?
    Pretty obvious to see the Newcastle supporters are saying away from this thread till this rubbish stops

I somewhat understand that, but find the behaviour of that non-Newcastle fan particularly interesting, that they seem to be reveling in having another genicidal regime in as a league owner.
    I'm not sure what you expect, suddenly thousands of NUFC fans to just stop supporting their team? Protest the change?
    I mean, honestly, yeah, maybe. And to be honest I'm sure there will be to one extent or another.

• Advertisement

Pretty obvious to see the Newcastle supporters are saying away from this thread till this rubbish stops

hang on lads, the official Newcastle fans spokesman has opined.

he can take it from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Jaysus, only a few months ago about 3 of us were arguing why Joselu is starting.

now look, outsiders arguing about the 8th takeover this year which knowing our luck will prob never happen

Now that the self appointed guardians of morality in football and the wider world on boards.ie have commented here i'm sure all Newcastle fans will go back into their boxes and be happy with the mediocrity that Ashley has presided over for the last 13 years I mean how dare we be happy that our club might be ran with some ambition and a desire to win things? No it's up to us to take a moral stand against the Saudi government not the UK government or Irish government who deal with them on a daily basis. This is about football and the prospect of Newcastle being successful just admit lads or maybe I'm wrong and ye're all experts on the war in Yemen yeah?

Now that the self appointed guardians of morality in football and the wider world on boards.ie have commented here i'm sure all Newcastle fans will go back into their boxes and be happy with the mediocrity that Ashley has presided over for the last 13 years I mean how dare we be happy that our club might be ran with some ambition and a desire to win things? No it's up to us to take a moral stand against the Saudi government not the UK government or Irish government who deal with them on a daily basis. This is about football and the prospect of Newcastle being successful just admit lads or maybe I'm wrong and ye're all experts on the war in Yemen yeah?

If ye think it’s bad now wait until if ye win a trophy or god forbid take one of the golden boys champions league spots.

If ye think it’s bad now wait until if ye win a trophy or god forbid take one of the golden boys champions league spots.

I know look the Saudis are scumbags just like most big world powers but the faux moral outrage here is nauseating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Estimated wealth of 11 times that of City's owners.

Dont know how to feel really. Obviously there is an element of excitement. It's near impossible to break the concrete ceiling the big boys have put in place without obscene cash and the removal of Ashley only adds another layer to that thrill. Always said i was against money buying football but there is really no other way. Seeping into other sports too, its just the way of pro sport.

But jesus the Saudis are an awful bunch in almost every possible way. A genuine throwback to the behaviour and mindsets that made empires and fortunes for the like of Ghengis Khan.
    Yet I dont know what fans of the club can really do. If its to happen, it'll happen whatever they think. I dunno really how to digest it all. It's a dream on paper from a purely economic point of view but if Ashley is derided for his carry on, its hard to not do the same with this crowd. Difference being they will try to buy compliance from the fans which ashley never did. Success has a way of silencing the masses.
    Be interesting to see how FFP approaches this. They surely wont be able to go out and spend billions the way City and even Chelsea could straight away.

Having said that watch it fall apart now. 13 years of this rubbish

I know look the Saudis are scumbags just like most big world powers but the faux moral outrage here is nauseating

Nauseating? Interesting what some people regard as nauseating, not the human rights record of the scum that are taking over another EPL football club, no not that; it's people raising concerns about a takeover involving those scumbags that is nauseating.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Nauseating? Interesting what some people regard as nauseating, not the human rights record of the scum that are taking over another EPL football club, no not that; it's people raising concerns about a takeover involving those scumbags that is nauseating.

indeed, seems like for some people it would take the beheading of a relation or something for them to actually give a fook!

Leicester City are taking one of the CL spots this year and took one a few years back when they won the league as well. You don't have to get into bed with the likes of the scum that are taking over this EPL club to get success.

TheCitizen wrote: »

There's a Saudi embassy in Dublin off you go down to them and protest outside if it bothers you that much. Your fake moral superiority over Newcastle fans being happy that a takeover may occur is nauseating yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement