Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Scoundrel wrote: »
    I know look the Saudis are scumbags just like most big world powers but the faux moral outrage here is nauseating

Im gutted for Newcastle fans honestly, to be thrown into this position when it’s the leagues responsibility to stop things ever reaching this point. It really shouldn’t be on fans to stop their club falling into the hands of awful people. It’s not fair, especially after getting screwed over by Ashley for over a decade.

But faux outrage... I mean, I totally get that argument over things like people freaking out about a goal after a handball, or diving, or even stuff like teams furloughing staff... but this... this is just on a different planet to all that. I got to work helping on a project (short docu series) with some Yemeni refugees, and jesus christ... I’m fairly confident the Saudi regime is the most dangerous and destructive on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I don't think I could continue supporting Newcastle if Salman was in any way involved in it. Would be an utter betrayal of everything I feel about the Saudi government and how a few thousand of the so called royal family basically keep their people in utter poverty while splashing out billions on yachts, cars, hookers, drugs etc etc.
    And of course the whole terrorism/ murdering part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

There's a Saudi embassy in Dublin off you go down to them and protest outside if it bothers you that much. Your fake moral superiority over Newcastle fans being happy that a takeover may occur is nauseating yes.

Oh right so we’re supposed to ignore that the potential new owners of the club you follow are a shower of utter scumbags because you find it “nauseating” to hear that reality being referred to. Your club and it’s fans will be slated for this, get used to feeling “nauseated”.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Oh right so we’re supposed to ignore that the potential new owners of the club you follow are a shower of utter scumbags because you find it “nauseating” to hear that reality being referred to. Your club and it’s fans will be slated for this, get used to feeling “nauseated”.

you know, for the people that don't have any issue with the Saudis being their owners and for the sole reason as a pawn in an (forlorn) attempt to improve their (Saudis) dire global image through a premiership presence , maybe it's truely a match made in heaven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Pretty ugly look for the Premier League if they allow the sale. What exactly does the fit and proper test, or whatever it’s called, cover?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Pretty ugly look for the Premier League if they allow the sale. What exactly does the fit and proper test, or whatever it’s called, cover?

it's pretty standard stuff - the money coming from the Saudi's country-level wealth fund won't disqualify them or be part of the criteria

it's about the directors on the board which will have been thought of and covered off as part of the bid in terms of who to put forward

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/revealed-major-hurdle-amanda-staveley-and-pif-still-have-navigate-ahead-ps300m-newcastle-united-saudi-takeover-2538737

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Your selective sickening self righteousness is quite nauseating why should fans of a club be slated for who their owners are? Should fans of PSG be slated for the actions of Qataris? Man city? Sheffield Utd? What can John from Dunston do about the actions of the Saudi government? This is really about this investment and ownership making Newcastle successful and breaking through the ceiling created by the big 4/6 teams spare us the pretend outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

How's the bacon did you say?

Imagine Steve Bruce could be talking tactics with 100m players.

fitzparker wrote: »
    How's the bacon did you say?

Imagine Steve Bruce could be talking tactics with 100m players.

he prob can't even spell the word. How that cabbage is still a manager is beyond me.

• Advertisement

....the faux moral outrage here is nauseating
    Your fake moral superiority over Newcastle fans being happy that a takeover may occur is nauseating yes.
    Your selective sickening self righteousness is quite nauseating why should fans of a club be slated for who their owners are?

Are posters slating the fans?

I haven't seen that, maybe I'm missing them. I see people slating the potential owners. Do you not think that's legitimate?

And why do you insist that objecting to bombing civilians in faux outrage? Could you address this post, and in particular say why you think his outrage is fake...
    Blazer wrote: »
    I don't think I could continue supporting Newcastle if Salman was in any way involved in it. Would be an utter betrayal of everything I feel about the Saudi government and how a few thousand of the so called royal family basically keep their people in utter poverty while splashing out billions on yachts, cars, hookers, drugs etc etc.
    And of course the whole terrorism/ murdering part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It's unfortunate but Newcastle fans (or any other team's fans) cant do anything about who buys the club and most are not going to stop supporting because of who owns them. If they bought Liverpool would I stop supporting them? No but I'd still have strong feelings about it.

Anyway I hope it does create another strong team in the league, the more the better in my opinion, more competition, more big games, more talented players etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Not wanting to get too far ahead of ourselves, but a lot of talk about Rafa coming back.
    Personally I'd love to see him back and this time with the support and market freedom given by the board, reckon he could get us to Europe without huge investment, I think if he had of been here this season and with his buys last summer and not Joelinton, we'd be in the run for a European spot this season.

Snotty wrote: »
    Not wanting to get too far ahead of ourselves, but a lot of talk about Rafa coming back.
    Personally I'd love to see him back and this time with the support and market freedom given by the board, reckon he could get us to Europe without huge investment, I think if he had of been here this season and with his buys last summer and not Joelinton, we'd be in the run for a European spot this season.

its still absolutely farcical that they wouldn't back him in the market but then turn around and hand 100 million to Bruce. Its mindbogglingly stupid

its still absolutely farcical that they wouldn't back him in the market but then turn around and hand 100 million to Bruce. Its mindbogglingly stupid

It wasn't even really handed to Bruce those players were going to be signed regardless of who the manager is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Alex Bruce licking his lips ap the prospect of one final big contract :)

• Advertisement

Your selective sickening self righteousness is quite nauseating why should fans of a club be slated for who their owners are? Should fans of PSG be slated for the actions of Qataris? Man city? Sheffield Utd? What can John from Dunston do about the actions of the Saudi government? This is really about this investment and ownership making Newcastle successful and breaking through the ceiling created by the big 4/6 teams spare us the pretend outrage.

These words you're insisting on using like; sickening, nauseating etc. are words that normal people would ascribe to the potential new owners of Newcastle. It's ironic you're going ott in your defence of the indefensible by using those words against people who are legitimately criticising Newcastle for allowing this shower of scumbags to use their football club to deflect from their activities. People are criticising this takeover, they are entitled to do that. You resorting to whataboutery trying to defend it says it all.

It wasn't even really handed to Bruce those players were going to be signed regardless of who the manager is

well god help the scout who recommended Joelington be signed. The Saudis will be tying him to a pole and giving him 50 lashes.

These words you're insisting on using like; sickening, nauseating etc. are words that normal people would ascribe to the potential new owners of Newcastle. It's ironic you're going ott in your defence of the indefensible by using those words against people who are legitimately criticising Newcastle for allowing this shower of scumbags to use their football club to deflect from their activities. People are criticising this takeover, they are entitled to do that. You resorting to whataboutery trying to defend it says it all.

What exactly are Newcastle to do? Mike Ashley can sell to who he chooses no? And the premier league sanction it? I fail to see what anyone in Newcastle can do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

well god help the scout who recommended Joelington be signed.

In a few years a fair play enquiry will look into that deal and find out the truth, how many brown envelopes were involved.

well god help the scout who recommended Joelington be signed. The Saudis will be tying him to a pole and giving him 50 lashes.

They might decide on eye-gouging being more appropriate in his case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Newcastle could be challenging for a Premier League title within 2 or 3 years.

Chelsea's success was almost instant. Man City were winning leagues within a few short years.

There is no way that Steve Bruce's face will fit.

The new owners will demand a marquee manager like Pep or Allegri or Mourinho.

I don't think it will be hard to attract big name players. Stars are relatively familiar with the club, its history and a big stadium.

I wish Newcastle good luck. I'm a Manchester United supporter.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Chelsea's success was almost instant. Man City were winning leagues within a few short years.

I don't think it will be hard to attract big name players. Stars are relatively familiar with the club, its history and a big stadium.

What history? They haven’t won their domestic league since the 1920’s, FA Cup in 1955 and The defunct Inter city Fairs Cup in 1969 were the last trophies of note (or no longer of note as the case may be) that they won.

What history? They haven’t won their domestic league since the 1920’s, FA Cup in 1955 and The defunct Inter city Fairs Cup in 1969 were the last trophies of note (or no longer of note as the case may be) that they won.

hey now...we won that irish trophy back in 19 ninety something or other. :D
    First team to retain the FA cup etc etc.
    They have history...its just so long ago now :(

Many south of the wall would argue Celtics last trophy of note was the European cup in the 60s too... They'd be wrong of course. History is far more than just trophies. I remember Liverpool fans I’m friends with badgering a Chelsea mate about having no history as they started winning things 15 years ago. Kind of embarrassing especially from teenagers who knew the grand total of **** all about either teams past. None of these lads had ever seen Liverpool win a league. Even weirder is the United fan attacking Liverpool’s past.

Who’s left so? Kuwait or Bahrain bought a team yet?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Who’s left so? Kuwait or Bahrain bought a team yet?

too small and not as badly in need of a re-brand effort as Mister Bone Saw.

I hope they find the guy who recommended Emanuel Riviere as well

What exactly do you want Newcastle fans to do about that? You and your fellow travellers are criticising Newcastle fans for who their potential new owners are yet you've no problem with Qataris at City or Saudi involvement at Sheff UTD? Or the various other sports that Saudis are involved in which leads me to believe that you and your ilk on here and elsewhere are more perturbed by the fact that this take over could make Newcastle successful and you're using Saudi human rights record as a fig leaf is indeed nauseating sickening etc.

Saudi Arabia was good enough for the UN to lead the Human Rights council but it's apparently upto Newcastle fans to be the bulwark against them.

The 9th most successful club in English football but it's nice to see your true motive for the criticism being revealed.

What exactly do you want Newcastle fans to do about that? You and your fellow travellers are criticising Newcastle fans for who their potential new owners are yet you've no problem with Qataris at City or Saudi involvement at Sheff UTD? Or the various other sports that Saudis are involved in

Huh? What gives you that impression? Can't speak for anyone else, but I absolutely have major problems with all of those, particularly where the goal on their part is sport-washing over pure financial investment, and have posted at length about this. Including my utter dismay when it looked like the Saudi's might be investors in my own club a few years ago. Personally, it would make it very hard to stay supporting my club under those circumstances, and would make me fuckin' livid that they were taking advantage of my club for their own agenda.
    which leads me to believe that you and your ilk on here and elsewhere are more perturbed by the fact that this take over could make Newcastle successful and you're using Saudi human rights record as a fig leaf is indeed nauseating sickening etc.

Ah jesus christ, please don't go down the "they're just jealous" route, it's absolutely ridiculous. Some things (actually lots of things) are a lot bigger than football, and this is one of them. It's really not a controversial thing to be annoyed by the most brutal regimes in the world using the sport I love to cleanse their image. I'm just astonished that it seems to be working.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Huh? What gives you that impression? Can't speak for anyone else, but I absolutely have major problems with all of those, particularly where the goal on their part is sport-washing over pure financial investment, and have posted at length about this. Including my utter dismay when it looked like the Saudi's might be investors in my own club a few years ago. Personally, it would make it very hard to stay supporting my club under those circumstances, and would make me fuckin' livid that they were taking advantage of my club for their own agenda.

Ah jesus christ, please don't go down the "they're just jealous" route, it's absolutely ridiculous. Some things (actually lots of things) are a lot bigger than football, and this is one of them. It's really not a controversial thing to be annoyed by the most brutal regimes in the world using the sport I love to cleanse their image. I'm just astonished that it seems to be working.

I accept that some are appalled by Saudi human rights record genuinely which is no better or worse than any other major power but the majority of criticism is football based including the poster I've quoted various snide remarks about Newcastle in the thread gave the game away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I accept that some are appalled by Saudi human rights record genuinely which is no better or worse than any other major power but the majority of criticism is football based including the poster I've quoted various snide remarks about Newcastle in the thread gave the game away.

There's no "some" about it. Anybody's that's bothered to look into the Saudis behaviour will absolutely be appalled by their actions.

They're actions may be no worse than other powers, but most powers don't go around buying football clubs.
    I'm a Man United fan for 40 years and would've absolutely given up supporting them had they been bought out by one of these regimes.
    I feel for the Newcastle fans, as they deserve an owner that can bring them back to their former glory. But this is blood money, plain and simple.

There's no "some" about it. Anybody's that's bothered to look into the Saudis behaviour will absolutely be appalled by their actions.

They're actions may be no worse than other powers, but most powers don't go around buying football clubs.
    I'm a Man United fan for 40 years and would've absolutely given up supporting them had they been bought out by one of these regimes.
    I feel for the Newcastle fans, as they deserve an owner that can bring them back to their former glory. But this is blood money, plain and simple.

I'll take what you say on face value but I don't remember many objections when the Saudis were linked with buying Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Newcastle fan here, granted I don't go to games but I have been a Newcastle fan for 25 years. I will not be actively supporting them any more. :(. It's just absolutely cr*p and heartbreaking. I feel terribly sorry for Newcastle fans that actually have morals and are season ticket holders for years and years.

I'll take what you say on face value but I don't remember many objections when the Saudis were linked with buying Man Utd.

You mightn't remember, but the vast majority were against the idea.
    And the only ones who weren't, were the most ardent anti-Glazer faction.

Taking Ashley's ownership out of the equation, hand on heart, would you really want Newcastle United owned the the Saudis?

Taking Ashley's ownership out of the equation, hand on heart, would you really want Newcastle United owned the the Saudis?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

The Geordies are already spending the money(in their minds) and yet nothing has been officially confirmed.
    When HRH Mansour took over City & Abramovich with Chelsea it was all done with NO publicity until the done deal was announced to the world.
    Something is just not right about the way this potential deal is being handled. Why would a man reportedly worth £263b need a loan of £30m from Mike Ashley?

gstack166 wrote: »
    The Geordies are already spending the money(in their minds) and yet nothing has been officially confirmed.
    When HRH Mansour took over City & Abramovich with Chelsea it was all done with NO publicity until the done deal was announced to the world.
    Something is just not right about the way this potential deal is being handled. Why would a man reportedly worth £263b need a loan of £30m from Mike Ashley?

Have to figure this is part of Amanda Stavely's MO, for whatever reason... seems every time she's involved in a deal, it's all over the press long before anything is done. Happened with both bids she was involved with for Liverpool, and has happened several times with Newcastle now too. Maybe it's to try to bring in fan pressure as leverage, to make it happen, or something.

This one looks to be closer than any of the others have gotten though, aside from the first DIC Liverpool bid which got to a similar phase as we're at now, before Hicks & Gillett swooped in.

<edit> Actually, I think she was involved in Mansour's Man city takeover too, which of course was successful.

• Advertisement

gstack166 wrote: »

they don't.

Most likely what is going on there is that they are trying to put it out there they are "proper businessmen" types by haggling over this.

And also something to do with Stavely's fee.

Particularly as the Arabs are notorious for making really bad business decisions.

Like recently putting $45 billion into the Softbank fund just before they (Softbank) incurred massive fund losses on investments like losing many billions on WeWork.

The Arabs managed to cover up this gem for a while but it eventually got out.

https://airlineworld.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/etihad-airbus-slams-into-wall-while-engine-testing/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Everyone that is so opposed to the Saudis taking over, I assume they don't use the hokey BeIN sports or other streams for watching PL every weekend?

Cos if you use them you are helping the Saudis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Newcastle have zip chance of the premier league. There is still the challenge of persuading footballers to live up in the North East. Even United and City have problems of getting players to move to Manchester/Cheshire, let alone the grim North East.

Even if they pay the location premium, then there is financial fair play.

The only hope Newcastle have is if they move their training operations to London and commuted to games. This is what happened when the Russian Premier league was flinging money about and Chinese Super League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Newcastle have zip chance of the premier league. There is still the challenge of persuading footballers to live up in the North East. Even United and City have problems of getting players to move to Manchester/Cheshire, let alone the grim North East.

The only hope Newcastle have is if they move their training operations to London and commuted to games. This is what happened when the Russian Premier league was flinging money about and Chinese Super League.

This will always be the problem with Newcastle, but come one, they will never move training to London, the only reason Anzi did it in russia is because there home stadium is in dagestan....big difference to Newcastle. if the money is right anyone will go.

if wolves could get Moutinho to move from Monaco to Birmingham, surely we can convince a few past Euro winners that the best tapas in the Uk is found in the strawberry.

IF(big IF) this goes through, my view is to take the wolves approach, install a playing formula, sign players key to the position, we don't need mercenaries yet, just a team who can solidify us as a top 10 premier league club. some fans have waited 55, so another 5 wont hurt and if the trophies come, so do the players and if not, a 3rd championship in 10 years isnt bad going either!

event wrote: »
    Everyone that is so opposed to the Saudis taking over, I assume they don't use the hokey BeIN sports or other streams for watching PL every weekend?

That doesn't make any sense.

If someone was stealing content on Illegal streams how would they be helping them?

Nevermind the fact that BeIN sports have nothing to do with the Saudis and are based in Qatar

In fact they are against the takeover

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52375947

glasso wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense.

If someone was stealing content on Illegal streams how would they be helping them?

Nevermind the fact that BeIN sports have nothing to do with the Saudis and are based in Qatar

In fact they are against the takeover

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52375947

The Saudis are the one pirating the streams from BeIN to harm Qatar. So watching them you are aiding them in their fight against Qatar by reducing the revenue Qatar get through BeIN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeoutQ

The pirates people are paying via their IPTV streams or whatever they use, that goes back to the Saudis.

Dont get me wrong, I use them myself. But I am fully aware of it and am not slating newcastle fans like some are here while benefiting from other services that the Saudis provide.

• Advertisement

That's a strange logic.

Posters are noting that the Saudi regime has committed genocide. I don't think anyone is saying that Newcastle fans are helping the Saudis commit genocide. Much less that they are saying it while at the same time helping the genocide themselves because they watch some football stream.

The Saudis are the one pirating the streams from BeIN to harm Qatar. So watching them you are aiding them in their fight against Qatar by reducing the revenue Qatar get through BeIN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeoutQ

The pirates people are paying via their IPTV streams or whatever they use, that goes back to the Saudis.

Dont get me wrong, I use them myself. But I am fully aware of it and am not slating newcastle fans like some are here while benefiting from other services that the Saudis provide.

Every channel has their content stolen, not just BeIN

Are you paying for the pirate BeoutQ service yourself?

You're just stealing content, not helping the Saudis!

Do you think the players are going to be living in a tower block in Gateshead? They'll be living in gated mansions put enough zeros at the end of the cheque and they'll be fine.

Hand on heart no but i'll take anyone over the sheer exhausting pointlessness and lack of ambition of Mike Ashley these are Newcastle's only 2 options there is no mythical 3rd option of benevolent billionaires coming in to buy the club.

That's a strange logic.

Posters are noting that the Saudi regime has committed genocide. I don't think anyone is saying that Newcastle fans are helping the Saudis commit genocide. Much less that they are saying it while at the same time helping the genocide themselves because they watch some football stream.

Posters are also annoyed at geordie fans for not being outraged at this.
    While partaking in something that can help the Saudis themselves.
    glasso wrote: »
    Every channel has their content stolen, not just BeIN

Are you paying for the pirate BeoutQ service yourself?

You're just stealing content, not helping the Saudis!

Im paying other pirates but am in no doubt that they get it from the Saudis, I'm not that naive

• Advertisement
Advertisement