Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Mod Note
    Kindly get back to talking about all things Newcastle.

Indeed.

From the article I earlier linked to;
    "We don't want this deal to go ahead," Cengiz added. "We are not just talking about the murder of a human being but the efforts to keep all hopes regarding the future, to keep human rights alive, to support justice and to start a transformation in the Middle East.

"This deal seems to be about buying something. But there is a wider picture. Saudi Arabia shows the world its face of reform. But it has another face where the reality is far from what is shown to the world. This is why we want this (deal) to be stopped and not be completed."

Fair play to this woman. Standing up to these characters can't be easy. They allegedly killed her partner because he was a dissenting journalist. It takes courage to stand up to them, but on here we have posters who want discussion re this potential takeover shut down or compartmentalised off somewhere else because it might upset a few football fans to discuss this potential takeover issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Haha here to discuss the merits of this yet repeatedly takes shots at Newcastle for being mediocre or having no history.

Go back to your childish rubbish with the rangers fans nobody is interested in your antagonistic crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It's not old news. I don't care if others "bite" or not. This is a discussion board is it not?

I haven't been on this thread for ages because I don't think about this issue every day, in fact I never thought much of or about Newcastle FC before at all, a rather mediocre club that never win much of anything. The issue of this scandalous takeover ain't going to go away just cos you want to wish it away.

Yawn!! You think of Newcastle as a mediocre club and only think of it now because of the takeover. I think this sportswashing(even comes up as a spelling mistake when I type it) thing could work out great for Newcastle United. Might have a chance at being competitive again with a bit of investment if the deal goes through.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Haha here to discuss the merits of this yet repeatedly takes shots at Newcastle for being mediocre or having no history.

Go back to your childish rubbish with the rangers fans nobody is interested in your antagonistic crap

Oh aye, I know, nothing to see here etc. etc.

Because that’s what I said. If you weren’t as lazy as you seem and read my views back in the thread, it’s really not that long, you’d see I’m against this and haven’t shut any discussion of it down.

macraignil wrote: »
    Yawn!! You think of Newcastle as a mediocre club and only think of it now because of the takeover. I think this sportswashing(even comes up as a spelling mistake when I type it) thing could work out great for Newcastle United. Might have a chance at being competitive again with a bit of investment if the deal goes through.

It has nothing to do with Newcastle being mediocre, I only mentioned that because prior to this I didn't have a strong opinion on Newcastle in either a positive or a negative way.

Being honest I didn't know much about this Saudi regime either but the more you read about them the more I think that the EPL should step in and stop this takeover one way or another.

Because that’s what I said. If you weren’t as lazy as you seem and read my views back in the thread, it’s really not that long, you’d see I’m against this and haven’t shut any discussion of it down.

I'm reading primary sources on this and you're attacking me because I'm bringing the issue up when it had gone quiet on here. In the real world this scandalous takeover has not gone quiet.

I'm reading primary sources on this and you're attacking me because I'm bringing the issue up when it had gone quiet on here. In the real world this scandalous takeover has not gone quiet.

I haven’t attacked anything about discussing the topic. It’s a bad situation as far as I’m concerned. It’s your posting style that rubs people up the wrong way

It has nothing to do with Newcastle being mediocre, I only mentioned that because prior to this I didn't have a strong opinion on Newcastle in either a positive or a negative way.

Being honest I didn't know much about this Saudi regime either but the more you read about them the more I think that the EPL should step in and stop this takeover one way or another.

So you have had no real opinion about Newcastle prior to the takeover and don't know much about the Saudi regime but have read some recent sensationalist media reports. I'm sure the EPL will be very interested to hear your opinion on this. Maybe you could contact them directly with a strongly worded email.

I think this sportswashing(even comes up as a spelling mistake when I type it) thing could work out great for Newcastle United...

Are you still seriously hinting that the concept of sportswashing doesn't exist because it doesn't appear in your spellcheck?

It exists.

Of course the takeover might work out great for Newcastle United. The potential owners bombing civilians and pushing millions into a humanitarian crisis might work out great for Saudi Arabia. Deriving a benefit doesn't mean an action has merit or cannot be challenged. Even NUFC supporters clubs are reported as saying while they are in favour of the takeover, they are concerned about the track record of the potential owners.

• Advertisement

Are you still seriously hinting that the concept of sportswashing doesn't exist because it doesn't appear in your spellcheck?

I do seriously have doubts about words highlighted as mistakes in my computer spell check. It does kind of sound very made upee like to me as well but if you think the concept is real I'm not going to disagree with you. You can have whatever concepts you like and call them whatever you like as well.

It’s a fairly new term but very much correct. I dunno whether it’s a ‘officially’ a word in the sense of dictionary recognised or whatever but sport, business etc are littered with jargon that are widely used but not necessarily ‘words’ in the Oxford dictionary sense. Sportswashing has been used a fair amount recently be it the boxing in Saudi, tennis in Saudi, WWE in Saudi. Tends to be Saudi actually

Wouldn’t hold it against anyone who hasn’t heard it before. There’s a Wikipedia page for it which covers its usage more fully

So you have had no real opinion about Newcastle prior to the takeover and don't know much about the Saudi regime but have read some recent sensationalist media reports. I'm sure the EPL will be very interested to hear your opinion on this. Maybe you could contact them directly with a strongly worded email.

Well I'm sure the woman in the article I linked will write them an email and she'll mention her partner who was allegedly murdered by the Saudi regime, but maybe you think she's being sensationalist.

I haven’t attacked anything about discussing the topic. It’s a bad situation as far as I’m concerned. It’s your posting style that rubs people up the wrong way

My posting style upsets you does it, in the context of a discussion about what the Saudi regime gets up to, isn't that awful.

It’s a fairly new term but very much correct. I dunno whether it’s a ‘officially’ a word in the sense of dictionary recognised or whatever but sport, business etc are littered with jargon that are widely used but not necessarily ‘words’ in the Oxford dictionary sense...
    Wouldn’t hold it against anyone who hasn’t heard it before...

Oh I wasn't holding it against him that he doesn't know the word. Hence I asked if he accepts that the concept exists, rather than the word. I mean, one could say Newcastle's proposed owners are accused of genocide, I don't think saying "I don't recognise the word genocide, nope, never heard of it" is a good defence.

A search on Google suggests it's in the MacMillan, Oxford and Collins dictionaries...but that's incidental. As you correctly note, it's used a fair amount now across the world of sports.

Well I'm sure the woman in the article I linked will write them an email and she'll mention her partner who was allegedly murdered by the Saudi regime, but maybe you think she's being sensationalist.

My comment was about you and no one else.

My posting style upsets you does it, in the context of a discussion about what the Saudi regime gets up to, isn't that awful.

Patronising self righteous drivel just repeating what has already been discussed in this thread for far too long is awful in my opinion. As I have posted a few pages back it is my opinion that investment in Newcastle could be good for the situation in the Middle East with an effort made by parties trying to improve their image also likely to encourage them to maintain that improved image by being more careful about any questionable activities in future.

According to an article I found the UK government has licensed the sale of 6.2billion pounds worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia but your major problem seems to be the sale of publicly traded shares in a football club. Your sense of priorities again to me just seems awful and is not football related so should be brought to a different thread. As I have suggested previously maybe somewhere in the politics forum might be more suitable for you.

Where did I say it upsets me? You need to be a bit less aggressive and stop putting words in people’s mouths. Going on to a Newcastle thread and calling Newcastle ‘mediocre’ and saying they have no history is intentionally antagonising and looking for a reaction. It is one of the major issues being debated between the United and Liverpool fans on the feedback threads. Must be a coincidence wherever you go in the forum fights happen. Must be everyone else’s fault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Looking forward to when this thread is talking about results, players, transfer, etc and not this BS

Snotty wrote: »
    Looking forward to when this thread is talking about results, players, transfer, etc and not this BS

The problem with potential owners who are involved in dismembering journalists and bombing civilians is that...those issues will never go away. Even if they sign a really good left back and beat Southampton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Snotty wrote:
    Unfortunately you are going to have these pathetic wind up merchants looking for a row or to incite, and then hit the report button when someone reacts, for quite some time.
    Your great club history with great fans doesn't matter to them.
    Tbh I don't think they are really into football at all, they're just into politics and try to make themselves look more hip by calling themselves football fans. A type of sportswashing, as they call it, if you will.

The problem with potential owners who are involved in dismembering journalists and bombing civilians is that...those issues will never go away. Even if they sign a really good left back and beat Southampton.

I think Danny Rose is a fairly good left back. Are you saying Newcastle need to get another one?

Is this Newcastle Southampton rivalry something new? They're a bit far apart for it to be like a derby match.

The bit in bold will never happen if that Saudi lot takeover. The BS is those trying to pretend there's nothing to see here and move along etc. etc.

The bit in bold will never happen if that Saudi lot takeover. The BS is those trying to pretend there's nothing to see here and move along etc. etc.

No, the BS is you taking over the thread in the soccer forum to talk politics when you have already admitted your knowledge on the subject is based solely on some articles you have read recently on the topic. You have no idea what would or would not happen "if that Saudi lot takeover" and please stop trying to pretend you know anything about it, or at least go somewhere more appropriate for you to pretend you know something about politics like the politics forum.

No, the BS is you taking over the thread in the soccer forum to talk politics when you have already admitted your knowledge on the subject is based solely on some articles you have read recently on the topic. You have no idea what would or would not happen "if that Saudi lot takeover" and please stop trying to pretend you know anything about it, or at least go somewhere more appropriate for you to pretend you know something about politics like the politics forum.
    I disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just wait until you start winning silverware lads

then the fun really begins in here:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just wait until you start winning silverware lads

then the fun really begins in here:)

Oh yeah , you bought that trophy with the blood and guts of people etc etc.

Ah you'll find some other cross to nail yourself to then, we'll be left supporting the club we have for years before any take over and years afterwards.
    HWTL

Ah you'll find some other cross to nail yourself to then, we'll be left supporting the club we have for years before any take over and years afterwards.
    HWTL

I had to Google that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Deal supposedly done.

Announcement due June 1st

although I was hoping for one yesterday on the legend Laurent Robert's 45th Birthday

Deal not done.

Ironically it is piracy of copyrighted material and nothing to do with murdering and deliberate starvation of children that could scupper this.

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/saudi-piracy-station-beoutq-sink-newcastle-takeover-bid-200529011128387.html
    a new pirate channel - beoutQ - took to the airwaves. It was "cynically named", read a 2018 complaint made by the BBC to the European Commission, seen by Al Jazeera.

According to a lawsuit filed at the WTO, it was a direct lift of beIN's content, broadcast online and via the Arabsat satellite - whose main shareholder is the Saudi government.

It swiftly proliferated well beyond the blockading countries, with set-top boxes soon available for sale across the Middle East and Europe, undermining the entire rights market, and therefore, argue TV and sports bosses, undermining the structure of funding of the entire industry.

Then just recently the Saudi Arabia's state-owned KSA Sports decided to pirate old Newcastle match footage to boot. The FA have been onto them. What a crowd of muppets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8370633/Newcastle-takeover-doubt-Saudi-Arabia-sports-channel-caught-illegally-showing-FA-Cup-matches.html

• Advertisement

I’m hearing that Chiek Tiote just died?

Yep, collapsed at training.

RIP
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40163322

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

He died 2017 Blazer, today is his anniversary.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    He died 2017 Blazer, today is his anniversary.

I was wondering that afterwards.... Joey Barton had retweeted and it slipped my mine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

He was young enough that it’s still a shock whenever he pops into my head. RIP Cheick

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    He was young enough that it’s still a shock whenever he pops into my head. RIP Cheick

yeah ..I'm all sad now again..its like I felt the first time I heard it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Newcastle have dangled the prospect of longer contract extensions to Andy Carroll & Javier Manquillo (as well as Matty Longstaff) as they look to shore up their position this season. As ever, takeover stasis is the backdrop to everything ... #NUFC https://t.co/mrLHhzmVwz

I'd keep Matty and Manquillo alright Manquillo is the best RB at the club but Carroll is finished.

Manquillo id defo get on a 2 year contract.

Carroll, if he continues on a pay as you play deal id also keep (steve harper type role)

Thy Matty deal is annoying me he has only played 7 games and isnt in the right position to be negotiating.
    15K - 20k P/W is fair from newcastle, if he has a good season 20/21 then he can re-negotiate.

I know comparing him to the likes of colback,saivet,lazzar who are on more and havent played a minute in years but still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Newcastle United receive new £350m takeover bid from CEO of US TV company Clear TV, Henry Mauriss

With the impending recession (or depression) I can't see anyone paying asking or even close to it for any club. And secondly, how come other clubs can be sold without it leaking till the deal is mostly done, but we have to read these BS stories couple of times every year.

With the impending recession (or depression) I can't see anyone paying asking or even close to it for any club. And secondly, how come other clubs can be sold without it leaking till the deal is mostly done, but we have to read these BS stories couple of times every year.

Firstly the agreed price I have seen publicised in the current take over bid for Newcastle United is lower than I read somewhere in the past Mike Ashley was looking for the club. Therefore it is not the full asking price but a lower price that both sides have agreed on. Mr. Ashley may see some opportunities in getting a big wad of cash in an economic downturn. The offer is reported as being accepted by the owner and the group making the bid and is being assessed by the Premier league governing body. How are you claiming this is BS when the parties involved all agree on these facts?

The reason there are so many stories made up in relation to the sale of Newcastle I think is because it is widely known that it has been for sale for some time now and journalists are looking to sell material to newspapers and other media companies. Most club owners are not as public about the club they own being for sale which may explain there being less stories made up about them being sold.

• Advertisement

Firstly the agreed price I have seen publicised in the current take over bid for Newcastle United is lower than I read somewhere in the past Mike Ashley was looking for the club. Therefore it is not the full asking price but a lower price that both sides have agreed on. Mr. Ashley may see some opportunities in getting a big wad of cash in an economic downturn. The offer is reported as being accepted by the owner and the group making the bid and is being assessed by the Premier league governing body. How are you claiming this is BS when the parties involved all agree on these facts?

The reason there are so many stories made up in relation to the sale of Newcastle I think is because it is widely known that it has been for sale for some time now and journalists are looking to sell material to newspapers and other media companies. Most club owners are not as public about the club they own being for sale which may explain there being less stories made up about them being sold.

Hold on, whats with the attitude? did you even read the message before mine? There is a story of a 350m offer, which i believe is asking, the Saudi bid is 50m less that asking, I said who would pay asking or even close to it in the current economic uncertainly, hence why that story is complete BS, same as the 100's of other stories that have been complete BS over the last 13 years.

Anyway, back to football today, cant wait
    HWTL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Same as can’t wait for the game

Sheffield United are serious team but we should be very competitive - hopefully we can get a result

Delighted it’s back

Hold on, whats with the attitude? did you even read the message before mine? There is a story of a 350m offer, which i believe is asking, the Saudi bid is 50m less that asking, I said who would pay asking or even close to it in the current economic uncertainly, hence why that story is complete BS, same as the 100's of other stories that have been complete BS over the last 13 years.

Anyway, back to football today, cant wait
    HWTL

Apologies if I gave the impression I have some sort of attitude. I did read the message before yours and was only replying to the points you made in your post with reference to all of the bids for the club rather than just that specific offer. Guess I was reacting to you labeling the story of a bid for the club as BS when I think very few people outside the groups making these offers know how credible or made up they are.

The alternative bid may just be higher because they want to complete the deal before anyone else becomes involved in the process but I completely agree with you that it is likely to be just another made up story or BS as you called it. With lots of other industries in trouble maybe it makes more sense to invest in a football club and there are opinions that to get out of the economic down turn printing money is going to be applied by a lot of governments. Already large deposits and government bonds have started to have negative interest rates applied so actually holding large amounts of cash now is costing some people money.

Hoping for a good result today.
    All the best.

Good performance against an admittedly woeful Sheffield Utd. Should’ve been more than 3. Puts any lingering potential to get sucked into the madness below to bed. Although they all looked terrible. Can look upwards and a 10th place finish not out of the question

New one year deal for Carroll

4 year deal for Manquillo

What the hell was that?? :)

Well done to the lads. Fair play to Bruce, he set us up perfectly, really enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

What the hell was that?? :)

Well done to the lads. Fair play to Bruce, he set us up perfectly, really enjoyed that.

Yeah in fairness to Bruce he set up an attacking team against a team low on confidence and took advantage of them same again against west ham please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Fair play to Bruce. We're in a much better position than I thought we would be and if we were in a relegation battle I'd lay the blame mostly with him.

I can see this takeover falling through any us being stuck like this for a few seasons - hopefully I'm wrong.

This Longstaff contract is getting dragged out more than the takeover

what are peoples thoughts on it?

at this stage I would rip the contract up and let him go.

£20k Per week for a handful of games is more than enough.

supposedly Phil Foden is on 12k!!

• Advertisement

fitzparker wrote: »
    This Longstaff contract is getting dragged out more than the takeover

what are peoples thoughts on it?

at this stage I would rip the contract up and let him go.

£20k Per week for a handful of games is more than enough.

supposedly Phil Foden is on 12k!!

I’d agree, he has nowhere near the body of work behind him to justify his demands. He holds very few cards. Dining out on one great goal

Advertisement