Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Is Watford game on tele ?

Found it - premier TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

So, the Season basically done.

Looking at the table, we can potentially finish between 11th and 17th.

what did everyone make of it?

Going on last night everyone was lethargic, why Kraft (our 3rd choice right back) is playing CB irks me, surely with us being safe he can bring in a reserve player who knows the position for the last 3 or 4 games.

He has to do it now with Schar getting injured.

papers yesterday said Rose is available for 14m. Personally I wouldn't bother and would rather get Jetro back.

if things stay the same (i.e. no takeover) what would you like outgoings/incomings to be?

Signing another goalkeeper leaves us with 4 choices now availabe, weird why Elliot went and one came in.

I thought Elliot might have went with a harper type role, in fairness I rather him than Darlow.

Hopefully Lejeune,Lascelles and Schar are fit to be a back 3 to start the season (Fernandez isn't bad but him and Lascelles are the same player with no composure, the other 2 can create something from the back)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Team seemed to fall apart once they had enough points to avoid relegation so it does not say much for the team spirit or quality in the squad that they can't motivate themselves to keep getting results.

I think that would be a reasonable price to get in Rose for, in the current market and in the highlights of games I have seen he looks to have brought a bit more solidity to that side of the defense and keeping consistent clean sheets has always been a problem. I thought Willems was good going forward but maybe a bit naive in his defending at times. I think Yedlin has been exposed too many times on the defensive side of his game and can't understand him and Kraft both playing ahead of Manquillo in the Spurs game.

I don't think signing a goalkeeper should be a priority and it is the right back and centre forward positions that I think need the most attention. I think Joelinton could score more if he was playing with two up front and I would not be that critical of his first season at Newcastle when he was so isolated for much of the game highlights I got to see. If Bournemouth go down then maybe Callum Wilson might be available for a reasonable price but no idea who they could bring in to sort out the right back position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

14m for Rose aint bad in the current climate.

Looking on the FF website which might be not 100% correct is a good indicator - 40% of our team is injured (Im not counting Carol)- that should be ringing major alarm bells! For seasons we have struggled with injuries - something is very wrong. As has been said here for seasons investement in training facalaties is paramount but with the current ownership I cant see it happen.

If Bruce stays I can see us staying with a 4-5-1 or 5-4-1 formation. It would be nice to change to being more positive but it wont happen. If thats the case Gayle and Joelinton need to get use to living on scraps, Id be looking for two more players in the Saint-Maximum mould for our counter attack style and try to rotate them 2 playing 1 resting.

It's 100% our training facilities, when Rafa came in they made a promise to him that they will be upgraded and nothing happened.

We are still using bins & swimming pools for ice baths FFS.

Money needs to be pumped into it and our youth aswell.

I dont mind the 3 at the back with 2 wing backs, at full strength it works well. but when we only have 2 fit center backs (at the time, schar was fit) we have to go to 4 at the back instead of Kraft in there as 3rd center back.

hopefully a youth comes in alongside fernandez, we are safe and a few of the lads deserve a run out as the team has gone stale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53598846

Looks like the Saudis have pulled out. I assume it being BBC it's pretty reliable. I've a feeling the FA are delighted at this result as I don't think they could block the deal but people would have looked at their policies and practices a lot closer if it went through.

Personally I'm not overly upset with it not getting over the line; on the positive side they would have run it like a business looking for success on the negative side they would have run it like a business....

Hard to see any investment or improvements in this transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

An absolute ****ing disgrace if it was man u or liverpool it would have been waved through in minutes the hegemony is persevered and we are doomed to be **** forever more

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Scoundrel wrote: »
    An absolute ****ing disgrace if it was man u or liverpool it would have been waved through in minutes the hegemony is persevered and we are doomed to be **** forever more

They already tried to buy Liverpool..
    https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-takeover-liverpool-bid-16335762

• Advertisement

https://www.espn.com/soccer/newcastle-united/story/4150231/saudis-newcastle-bid-ends-after-piracyhuman-rights-issues?platform=amp

Saudis really shot themselves in the foot with the state piracy.

About as competent at state piracy as they are at state murders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

On one hand I’m absolutely delighted. However I do feel sorry for the people of Newcastle themselves as they deserve a better owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Are there other Premier League owners accused of mass human rights abuses? Genuine question.

CSF wrote: »
    Are there other Premier League owners accused of mass human rights abuses? Genuine question.

it was more likely the fact that the Saudi's actively aided piracy of premiership matches using state satellite(s) for BeoutQ that did in the bid in the end really and not the rights abuses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeoutQ

Blazer wrote: »
    On one hand I’m absolutely delighted. However I do feel sorry for the people of Newcastle themselves as they deserve a better owner.

what about that American guy who was supposed to be interested once the Saudis had put in their bid

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1316553/Newcastle-takeover-Henry-Mauriss-Mike-Ashley-Saudi-deal-Premier-League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just Man City really.

But that had nothing to do with why the move was being blocked anyway. If all they'd done was murder journalists, and stone people for being gay, and treat women as a subspecies, and commit genocide, and block food and aid from reaching refugees, they'd have been graaand!

But they dared facilitate piracy that got in the way of a Premier League football TV rights deal. That is the sole reason there was a delay on the 'fit and proper person' test.

Honestly, we need a fit and proper person test to judge the people who sit on the fit and proper person committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Mike Ashley !

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3061338/Sports-Direct-branded-sweatshop-working-conditions-compared-Victorian-era-bosses-accused-punishing-employees-talk.html

Don't think for one second think his brand clothes are not produced in sweatshops in the middle east!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

In all honesty, you probably didn't want the same people in charge who thought it was okay to murder and dismember someone in another country or start a oil war with Russia at the start of a pandemic in charge of your club.

Enzokk wrote: »
    In all honesty, you probably didn't want the same people in charge who thought it was okay to murder and dismember someone in another country or start a oil war with Russia at the start of a pandemic in charge of your club.

you'd be surprised even though it was plainly obvious that it this case all that glitters is not gold.

The actual newcastle fans sat back during this thread and waited. Rarely butting in.

Because We knew, we knew it was never going to happen until we saw the FCB heading back down the M1

Well actually he is, The funniest thing to come from this is Ashley got 17m in a non refundable deposit.

I cant see us spending big this season at all and fear for the worst because if we go down. We arent coming back up as quick

• Advertisement

Silverstone absolutely plastered in Aramco advertising today.

Yes the owners of Man city

glasso wrote: »
    what about that American guy who was supposed to be interested once the Saudis had put in their bid

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1316553/Newcastle-takeover-Henry-Mauriss-Mike-Ashley-Saudi-deal-Premier-League

All bull**** a stalking horse for Qatar a total qatari puppet

Away to West Ham not a bad start to another totally pointless and completely ambitionless season and even worse a season where no trips over will be possible.

Thats a strong squad to be losing by that scoreline

Middlesbrough 5 Newcastle 1

Following victories over League One Crewe and Championship Barnsley, Newcastle's third pre-season game saw them come unstuck against second tier Middlesbrough on Tuesday afternoon.

The game was played behind closed doors at Boro's Rockcliffe Park training ground, Britt Assombalonga shooting the hosts ahead on seven minutes.

The home forward then doubled his side's lead before Marcus Tavernier - brother of former Magpie James - fired past Karl Darlow from distance.

It was 1-3 at the interval when Allan Saint-Maximin netted with a solo effort - with Andy Carroll on the bench then presumably ASM was at centre forward.

Boro's Lewis Wing and Jamaal Lascelles were then both dismissed after an off-the-ball incident early in the second half.

Grant Hall headed in the resultant free kick before the Tees barrege was completed late on, when Stephen Walker placed his penalty kick beyond Mark Gillespie.

Once again there was no sign of Joelinton or Yoshinori Muto, while Emil Krafth and Jeff Hendrick are now away on international duty.

Martin Dubravka, Dwight Gayle, Fabian Schar and Matty Longstaff are unfit, while Jonjo Shelvey didn't feature - reason tbc.

Team: Darlow (Gillespie 70), Manquillo, Yedlin (Dummett 60), Lascelles, Lejuene (Fernandez 60), Murphy (Ritchie 70), Hayden, S.Longstaff (Barlaser 70), Atsu (Clark 60), Almiron (Carroll 60), Saint-Maximin (Saivet 75).

We're supposed to be close to signing Ryan frazer which would be a good signing and we're in talks for Callum Wilson as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Front four of Fraser Wilson Almiron and Saint Maximan would be good quality. Anything that gets Joelinton away from the side. Not much depth however. Nice to pull in a few cheap deals but it’s much more of the same, a total aversion to spending any money

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Front four of Fraser Wilson Almiron and Saint Maximan would be good quality. Anything that gets Joelinton away from the side. Not much depth however. Nice to pull in a few cheap deals but it’s much more of the same, a total aversion to spending any money

It would be a decent front four and as you say anything to keep that lump of ****e Joelinton out of the team can only be regarded as a positive.

He is right up there with the worst I've ever seen play for Newcastle he's up there with andersson Cort Riviere Luque Xisco etc

The Joelinton Deal is a weird one, definitely dodgy dealings with agents etc going on

Rafa point blank refused it, as soon as he went Joelinton was signed. it's also not an Ashley type deal as our player quality doesn't sell for more than 40m, so where he thought a profit could eventually be got is beyond me.

Its nice to see us back to normal this year signing free agents and loan deals.

Good to see Lejuene back in the squad, id like us to sign Jetro permanent ( even a loan will do )

in other news Gayle is injured again.... obviously

and we got 30% of Ivan toney sale so about 3million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

What's the story with all the takeover gossip in NUFC? Are we just back to normal again with vague rumours? Have the Saudis completely disappeared off the radar now?

Forget all about it.

Until you see Sky Sports reporting about someone ridiculously wealthy standing on the pitch at St James’ holding a black & white scarf over their head & shaking hands with Kevin Keegan, anything containing the words ‘Newcastle United’ & ‘takeover’ can be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kweeveen86

Callum Wilson bid lodged today. Would be a great signing if it happens. A proper number 9! Slightly concerned about his injury record though but hopefully can stay fit.

Bid entered for Callum Wilson with the player preferring Newcastle over Villa but happy to go either. Matt Ritchie might be the key to that.

Bid accepted for Jamal Lewis. £13.5m after being quoted 18m and Norwich turning down about 15m from Liverpool?

Bid entered for Rogerio from Sassuolo. Know nothing about him.

Any update on Ryan Fraser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

fitzparker wrote: »
    The Joelinton Deal is a weird one, definitely dodgy dealings with agents etc going on

Not in the same league but Emile Krafth is a Swedish International !- How ? Seriously How? How did this man cost £5 million. How do they still have him involved ?

Joelinton has flashes of what could be a footballer but Krafth makes him look like Messi ! We have 3 first team right backs and they are all putrid. Manquillo just got a multi season extension. MULTI SEASON !

Callum Wilson bid accepted 20mil if we get Fraser Wilson and Lewis in it will have been a great transfer window despite every thing and Bruce will deserve credit for getting the purse strings loosened.

• Advertisement

Wilson done and dusted a massive lift before the season starts Fraser and Lewis to be done this week.

As much as I've criticized Bruce and still dont think hes the right man for the job he's obviously established a good working relationship with Charnley and Ashley and has convinced them to spend to try and drive us forward.

Great deal signing Wilson. in fairness to Bruce he has signed very well this window, alot of PL experience if Fraser and Lewis comes in also, its exactly what we need.

Wilson must be on big money coming from deep south all the way north. it's mad Rondon signing was blocked for less money last year.

Be interesting to see who goes because im sure the wage bill will need freeing up, if Lewis/Frazer comes in I can see 2 of Dummett, Richie, Lazzar, Atsu parting ways.

I also wouldnt be surprised with Longstaff ,Hendrick and now Saivet fighting for that position that it might pave the way for Hayden to return south if a bid comes in?

IMO id hate to lose him, he has been excellent as a holding midfielder and handled his personal issues like a professional, for me he should be captain.

1 week to go, be interesting to see our starting line up. I dont mind what it is once Fernandes and Lascelles dont start together as they have no composure and just lump.

Fraser confirmed on a 5 year deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Ashley must be away at some gravy drinking competition or something. His blood pressure will be in quadruple figures when he gets back and sees what Bruce has been at. Don't rate Bruce but in fairness, he's played a blinder this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

is the lewis kid promising?

• Advertisement

It turns out the corrupt premier league did reject the takeover all along( no doubt at the behest of bein and qatar)and despite proof of pif being separate to saudi government. Ashley is considering all legal options looks like he'll sue the PL.

The good news keeps coming. Hayden signs till 2026.

For me he is an unsung hero in the squad, does all the dirty work. excellent Professional and would love him to get the armband.

As per my previous post I was worried hendrick coming in might open the door to him returning south, but he is obviously pretty settled now.

fitzparker wrote: »
    The good news keeps coming. Hayden signs till 2026.

For me he is an unsung hero in the squad, does all the dirty work. excellent Professional and would love him to get the armband.

As per my previous post I was worried hendrick coming in might open the door to him returning south, but he is obviously pretty settled now.

Yeah Hayden signing on is great news Darlow I'm assuming is to protect his sell on value IMHO Darlow is a complete liability and if it were me picking the team I'd play Gillespie over him.

It turns out the corrupt premier league did reject the takeover all along( no doubt at the behest of bein and qatar)and despite proof of pif being separate to saudi government. Ashley is considering all legal options looks like he'll sue the PL.

The Saudi PIF's Chairman is Mister Bone Saw
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Investment_Fund_of_Saudi_Arabia

Even its website operates on a Saudi government domain

How could it be possibly be described as separate / independent from the Saudi government? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Just hand us next year's champions league now. Great performance as a whole. Hendrick played very well.

Duff wrote: »
    Just hand us next year's champions league now. Great performance as a whole. Hendrick played very well.

Goal and an assist and a couple of nice passes.

If Hendrick could replicate a bit of that for Ireland that would be nice.

Duff wrote: »

Cracking performance in the second half to be fair although it has to be said West Ham were awful.

A lot of positives from our perspective though Wilson is a proper striker it was so refreshing to see one after a year of Joelintons absolute uselessness Lewis and ASM on the left look to be an extremely promising partnership Hayden had Rice in his pocket all game and as you say Hendrick was brilliant.

Brighton (h)
    Spurs (a)
    Burnley (h)

before we play united in mid october. Chance to get some early daylight between ourselves and the bottom. Especially when you look at the fixtures of the likes of West Ham who have a horror run of games.

Was a satisfying game on saturday. We weren't great by any means and west ham were poisonous but good to see a Newcastle side go out and just outplay a side rather than win by grinding a team down.

Wonder is our business done for the window. 3 weeks left

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Brighton (h)
    Spurs (a)
    Burnley (h)

before we play united in mid october. Chance to get some early daylight between ourselves and the bottom. Especially when you look at the fixtures of the likes of West Ham who have a horror run of games.

Was a satisfying game on saturday. We weren't great by any means and west ham were poisonous but good to see a Newcastle side go out and just outplay a side rather than win by grinding a team down.

Wonder is our business done for the window. 3 weeks left

not a bad run of games to be fair and as for our business it seems like it will be all outgoing rather than incoming Bruce was saying Saviet Lazaar Aarons and Muto will all be going Muto has gone on loan to Eibar I think.

An intersting side note Ashley has intructed his lawyers to take a case against PL.

I think we are done in the window, talk of rob holding last week but he started for Arsenal the weekend so id say that is dead in the water.

Atsu has also been told he can go. Carroll had a good game, supposedly he came back much lighter and it showed Saturday.

What I like is our bench, there are game changers on it, sure Ritchie and Frazer didnt even get on plus Schar is to come back.

Another strong team can go out tonight v Blackburn to get the fitness up.

Regarding Ashley getting the lawyer, he got 17m from the saudi deal (un refundable deposit) so he has a few quid to go for the PL which id say the saudi put pressure on him to do :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement