Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

There was a huge market move on Fonseca last night went from 15/2 to 11/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Bruce gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not surprised they pulled the trigger. Losing the first game meant no reason for a stay of execution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

'Mutual consent'. Eight million mutual reasons.

Oh what a glorious day I'm thinking of taking a half day and going on the beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Nobody, irrespective of the job they do deserves that level of abuse but I can't help but get the feeling Bruce is playing the victim here. I doubt he's any sort of shrinking violet & you have to be thick skinned to manage at a high level hence the high pay. He never would have had a chance at getting the Newcastle if it wasnt for Ashley trying to save the pennies. Has always been well out of this depth. And he's walking away with 8m, I doubt he would have ever got that at any of the other clubs he managed. He's doing well out of this.

Anyways, onwards and upwards, Foncesa & Favre now favourites for the job, wouldnt be too dissapointed with either of them especially with some of the other names we're being linked with, Rooney, Lampard, Martinez & co.

Pure poor me self pitying nonsense lapped up by his mates in the media and punditry. Only last week in his presser saying journalists should have been slapped took plenty of shots at fans and journos who rightly criticised him had Craig Hope banned from interviews as well. A hateful manager and a hateful human being it's great news that he's gone surely he'll get a top job now considering all his mates in media etc think he's so great?

It looks like Jones will take the team on Saturday anyway and new manager should be in within a couple of weeks we can finally hope again.

Jog on united fan, ye wouldn't tolerate him for a minute at your own club. Hopefully Atlanta will get a result tonight against ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He can be a bad manager and a decent enough bloke at the same time..

No one has a clue what he's really like except those around him, friends/family. Even Saint Maxim probably doesn't know him that well outside of football. And it doesn't matter, Bruce did very well out of Newcastle, never in a million years would he have got a job at a club like Newcastle at this stage in his relatively poor managerial career if it wasnt for Ashley acting the maggot. He's getting 8 million, he was very well paid while he was there especially in comparison to the other clubs he worked for previously also. And if the many reports are believed, he wasnt exactly the most hard working while he was there either, many days off & holidays. He played a rubbish brand of football, was a complete yes man for Ashley and was definitely in the job for the money to a degree. Now, he's crying about a few Newcastle fans having a go at him over his time there. What did the former Sunderland manager who claims to be a Geordie through & through, expect.

Actually no, I won't jog on. I am entitled to have an opinion on Newcastle and Steve Bruce and post about them. And my point isn't about his ability to be the manager of Newcastle or Man Utd but rather the abuse thrown at him. If Bruce was the manager the last couple of years and not up to the job that should result in criticism of Ashley, not Bruce (similar to the useless owners of United and Ole actually).

For anyone thinking Bruce has been harshly treated by Newcastle & deserves sympathy, this is a good article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Man was an utter clown. The crowd taking over should have had Ashley fire him before signing. The only pity is him getting a reported 8 million payoff. For someone who is no better than a Sunday league manager its farcical the wages he was being paid.

The thing is he'll bounce into another job , do the same crap, get fired and probably get another payoff. And blame other people for it.

As the Newcastle players found out he's a despicable pos.

I'm sure the tenants in his slum that he tried to evict think he's a lovely fella

• Advertisement

So Bruce should be immune from criticism because of his reputation as a nice bloke? He is eqauting legitimate criticism of his hopelessness and tactical ineptitude with abuse. I'm curious though are all fans banned form criticising poor managers or is it just Newcastle fans? Can you explain why Sunderland and Villa fans think he's fcuking useless as well? It's almost like those who have endured him as manager and watched the dirge he produces every week know better than those who didn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Let's be honest the chap is a dirt manager, he walked into a losing battle, Ashely appointed a dreadful manager because he wanted a yes man.

The same players Rafa had at the back were defensively solid under him..... the EXACT same players under one of the Premier Leagues greatest defenders would'nt be able to keep a clean sheet against the U16 team.

Newcastle paid Sheffield Wednesday 6.5m to release Bruce. its astonishing.

He now walks away with 8 million, imagine doing a terrible job and probably more than doubling your net worth .

As a manager he is mid table championship at best, so yes Criticism on his managerial reign is warranted and he is right to be criticized you could see against spurs how unfit we were, why? because the team constantly have days off.

Danny Rose said when at loan to newcastle they got 2-3 days off a week, at spurs it was one

8 games without a win the start of a season any manager deserves to go, there was barely a whisper when Watford sacked theirs with less games played and more points.

As a person, yes the slagging's at slating is over the top, the social media attacks anytime his son posted is weird, and being honest 14 years under Ashely has made the NUFC fans worse.

Regarding ASM post... come on, what do you expect him to say? if he means it or not its a PR stunt.

He is hardly going to call him a "poxy manager that played me out of position the first half of my Newcastle career, au revoir"

I'll tell you how bad he is, our skipper, jameel lascelles, up to now hasn't posted about it yet. He could only LIKE ASM post, didn't even comment on it.

To me that is saying something

Post edited by fitzparker on

Things are bad, leaking goals from everywhere but still nothing changes.

Schar must have done something wrong outside of the pitch, how he cannot get into that team when we have 2nd worst defence, nobody in the back 4/5 can get near their national team, he runs a muck with the swiss.

in midfield there is no creativity. Miggy needs to come back in and give some intensity.

Our next 5 games are a make or break for the season, we need a minimum 10 points because the following 5 are a Christmas nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Need a new manager in pronto the performance on Saturday was abysmal I know Chelsea are a much better team but that was lauaghable. January can't come soon enough.

Can't understand how Clark and Krafth are playing in a 3 man defence ahead of Schar and Fernandez.

Beggars belief.

• Advertisement

Mind boggling how any coach could look at the defensive options at the club and come up with Krafth and Clark over Schar and Fernandez hopefully Emery won't be too long in sorting that out...

It's a joke, how can it not be seen.

Even if Schar and Fernandez were dirt.... at least chance them, we can't actually do worse.

Emery looks a done deal, hopefully he can sort this mess out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Newcastle UNAI-ted. Delighted with the appointment if it goes ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Looks like it's not actually going ahead.

BBC News - Newcastle United: Unai Emery to reject Newcastle interest - Guillem Balague

Can't blame Emery for turning it down really new owners need to leak to the media less I know they want favourable coverage but it comes at a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

if only rafa didnt join the toffees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I know Rafa did a great job and we all loved him but I honestly wouldn’t like to see him back

it wasn’t a great watch to be honest . We have endured years of pretty dull football but Rafa was so much more organised than Pardew , Bruce etc

id love a bit of entertainment and exciting football for a change really

imagine Bielsa with all that cash ☺️

Post edited by tastyt on

Looks like it'll be Howe it'll be a big change of style anyways that's for sure. If you'd said to me 4 weeks ago after the horrible Wolves defeat that we'd have a takeover with Eddie Howe in charge I'd have been absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think he could work out to be a great appointment with the players already at the club having some ability to score goals if they can just bring themselves to have some more cohesion to the way they are playing. The Newcastle defence just is not good enough to get points from sitting back and defending for most of the game like I have seen in far too many games this season. I think Howe could be a better fit for the club than Emery but a strong defence coach like John Terry would also be nice to see.

Yeah I agree all our best players are attackers and to have any hope we have to play on the front foot and make best use of those players. I've no doubt we'll strengthen defensively in January but we desperately need a few wins in the meantime.

On the defence though I sincerely hope he goes with Schar and Fernandez at CB until Jan at least Clark Krafth and Lascelles just aren't up to it.

• Advertisement

Happy with the draw after such a terrible first half performance Brighton no great shakes at all once we put it upto them a bit.

That foul from the keeper really grates on me there needs to be a penalty goal like penalty try in rugby that's a tap in and 3 points with no foul a red card just isn't enough.

Howe confirmed on 2.5 year deal the days of 10 men behind the ball and 5-3-2 are over we're going to be more exciting to watch anyway that's for sure. WE need to absolutely tear into Brentford in his first game next week big opportunity for a first 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

The only team without a win! Really depressing stuff. What would happen in the event of a relegation? Are the Saudis still committed to the team in that event?

We've spent over a decade trying to find a buyer...why would the Saudis' have any more joy trying to offload us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’d imagine the question isn’t necessarily ‘would they sell’, but rather, ‘would they still spend’. I think they still would though.

On the sales front, there were offers over the years, but Ashley held for his big profit. That means nothing to bin Salman et al.

They wouldn't have stuck with the 18 months takeover saga if they weren't committed.

First game for howe V brentford at St James.

Probably the best game we could get, brentford not won in a few plus with the international break he has had 11 days to train with most of the squad (as only a handful are internationals)

Fernandez and Schar have to start, the latter played another 180 mins for switzerland and qualified for the world cup ahead of Italy.

In fairness to Hendrick he wasn't to bad against portugal, shows he has some potential, id put him on par with longstaff.

Lewis started V Italy and drew 0-0, does he deserve to get in ahead of Ritchie?

Dubravka also started 1 of the games for Slovakia, does he come straight in?

Will he go 2 up top? ASM alongside Wilson or bring in Gayle?

It's a chance for the likes of Gayle/Lewis/Hendrick to get a clean slate, hopefully they take it with open arms.

at this stage purely for deadball situations one of ritchie or Shelvey needs to start, as usually our 3rd taker is Longstaff and he is dirt at corners.

Fernandez and Schar surely to God will Have to play they are light years ahead of Krafth Lascelles and Clark. Dubravka is our best goalkeeper by a distance and has to start as well for me. I think Howe will look to bring Lewis in eventually remember when he was one of the most promising young players in the league? I'd say Willock will come in and Wilson up top by himself.

Whoever starts on Saturday, I'd like to see us at least see play with an intensity and passion that we havent done for a long time. Its a good time to be playing Brentford, they've lost their last four pl games in a row, including a home defeat against bottom of the table Norwich.

I'd echo the sentiments that Clarke is out of his depth at this level, id much prefer Schar or Fernandes. If Ritchie starts at left back again, that will be disappointing. After that, much of the team picks itself although I wouldnt start Joelinton behind Wilson, I'd have Willock instead or a strike partner for Wilson in Gayle.

If we manage to get a win here I could see us going on a little run, getting something away at Arsenal, even a win given how unpredictable they are & then wins against Burnley & Norwich. 10 points from these next four games should be the target & it's achievable.

Saturdays game is huge in this context.

• Advertisement

I'm actually looking forward to a game for the first time in ages!!

yep I could this be our first win. Players should be rightly geed up for this and the crowd as well.

For **** sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

At least we're scoring anyway at 2-2. Even Joelington has found the net.

Another draw. Great performance but a win would have been nice

More possession and 23 shots in total is welcoming, hopefully we can sneak something V Arsenal

Joelinton played well but even his goal was a dodgy first touch, he also should have buried the one ASM set him up for.

Still we should remain hopeful, those performances will eventually bring wins, it looks terrible bottom after 12

but equally we have 78 points to still play for yet and only 30 of them should be needed.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think there's plenty of reasons to be hopeful some of our attacking play was exceptional ASM and Joelinton were excellent although of course Joelinton threw in a clanger as well but to be fair he was our best player until then. It was pleasing to score 3 without Wilson getting one we need others to chip in. Frasers cross for the third was a thing of beauty as well hopefully Howe will get the best from him.

Darlow must be dropped immediately I'd have saved the first goal it was absolutely pathetic from him and the third goal was his fault as well if he'd come out properly and taken the ball like he should they wouldn't have been able to recycle and get the strike on goal.

I think if we get Fernandez and Dubravka into the team and have a real go at Arsenal, whose confidence will be low after the trouncing from Liverpool we could get something from the game.

Eddie Howe will be in the dugout tomorrow after returning a negative test should give the lads a boost.

Set up fairly offensively today. Glad to see Clark & Darlow on the bench. Still uncomfortable with Ritchie at LWB but I guess we dont have many options there. Would be delighted with a draw. I think whatever Howe will be, he'll be entertaining to say the least.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I’d be happy if he proved me wrong today but Krafth back in the line-up doesn’t fill me with confidence. Great to see Dubravka back in goal after the injury! Toon Army!! 🏴🏁🏳️

Very disappointing performance today. The ref didn't do us any favors but I thought we lacked any kind of ambition. This Arsenal side is no great shakes and they completely dominated us. We ended playing the same way & type of formation Bruce had us playing all season. I know Howe is fairly limited in what he can do given the lack of quality available to him but we need to be prepared to take the game to teams more, even if its the bigger ones, we've nothing to lose because we certainly aren't good enough defensively to keep them out for 90 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement