Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

What to say about yesterday, we got dismantled second half.

Although he is capable, Joelinton has to do an awful lot of ground covering for ASM on the left.

Wood looked tired, he had a game on Wednesday, that is some travelling to get back to.

We were all over the place, and when Kane dropped nobody knew what to do. Tactically it turned strange when Shelvey went into CB.

Shelvey's hollywood passes are becoming annoying and predictable, at least with bruno he tries to gain yards and moves up the pitch with his pass, shelvey just stays there admiring it.

Willock in periods wasn't to bad, burn got caught a few times, dare I say it...again

I have to say but I think we missed Kraft, Manquillo got caught aswell for 2 I think. As bad as Kraft is going forward he gives us that cover at the back and turns it into a back 3 when Tarrgett can get forward more.

We aren't out of the dogfight yet, until Trippier is back id bring Lacelles into a back 3 and keep it tight. id rather gain points in a 0-0 gamesto keep us safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Two wins required from our next 4 games or we could be in big trouble with our remaining fixtures after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

The second half was absolutely diabolical schoolboy defending. Bruno has to start from now on and ASM is not a left winger he's wasted there either play him more centrally or drop him altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Disgraceful performance yesterday, Howe was completely out maneuvered tactically by Conte, just re enforces my belief that although Howe should save us from relegation this season, I dont know if he's the manager for us to break up into the top 6 which is what we should be aiming for next season.

Losing to Chelsea so late & then Everton wasnt that bad but its three losses on the bounce now. Players running around like headless chickens in the second half, where's the discipline? they caught us so many times on the counter attack it wasnt funny. You'd think they would have learned after the third goal.

We're going nowhere fast with this set up & alot of these players. I know it sounds ambitious but they should go for Pochettino in the summer if the owners are really as ambitious as they say. He might not be a majory trophy winner but he's excellent at building clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

New to the forum. How would you go about getting tickets for the Newcastle Liverpool game on April 30? Is it unreasonable to expect any to be around at this stage? Can you pick them up outside the ground if you were there?

That game will sell out you'd probably have to become a club member on www.nufc.co.uk to have any chance. As for scalp tickets around the ground you might get one but no guarantee.

Botman going to AC Milan by the looks of it.

Makes me think he wasnt mad about coming to us all along, seriously doubt Milan were offering as much as we were given the fact that Italian clubs arent exactly flush with money but they are top of the table so Im sure that was a factor in him going there. Plenty of other good central defenders out there though.

Its key we finish the season strongly now & finish as high up as possible. Will definitely improve the caliber of player we can attract in the summer. Club needs to be sold to potential players as a club with ambitions to break into the top 6 next season & challenge for the top 4 after that. Thats where the real quality players you want playing for you are.

Its actually a good sign of his ambition as a player, could have made a lot more money with us but decided to go to a more successful club.

Phew what a relief great to win a sh1te game. Bruno G was the best player on the park.

• Advertisement

He was absolutely, great to finally see what he's capable of. We're a completely different animal at home. Only 3 points off 9th place now, great to be looking up instead of down. Home to Leicester & Palace next then away to Norwich. No reason why we can't be aiming for 9 points from those games. A top half finish would enable us to sign a much better more ambitious type of player.

I don't think where we finish will have any bearing on the calibre of player we can attract this summer.

And i'm still looking down, not up. One more win tho and we are safe.

Nope, looking up is the only way now imo, thats why we are in this division. Have won our last four games at home & are 10 points above the relegation zone. Easy to understand fans nerves but now is the time to start taking advantage of the good feeling around the club & start making enquiries for top class players. Get Targett wrapped up, a goalkeeper to challenge Dubravka, centre back, a wing forward & most importantly a quality striker to compete with Wilson. If we get those, theres no reason why we cant be competing for top 6 next season.

I've seen nothing from West Ham or Wolves to indicate they could keep us out of that chasing pack, Man United & Arsenal are still works in progress & Conte at spurs is still far from solid. If a major club comes in for him in the summer, they could be back to square one.

Go big or go home.

I'd take Lingard and Eriksen on a free right now.

Would be a very good start to the summer business while also being sensible with money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Get in!!! Brilliant from Willock and Bruno at the end brilliant to nick that one 5 wins in a row at home now. I thought Krafth was rock solid finally starting to look like an international standard player.

If we add four or five good players in the summer we're in business.

Yup! I’ve commented on him negatively before but Krafth is starting to show a definite improvement in his play, great to see!

Just watching MOTD here cracking performance from Nick Pope anyone think we should go in for him? I think we could do a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

saint maximum seemed like he was tracking back a bit more than usual, which is good, but not entirely convinced by him bar the flashes of brilliance that more often than not lead no-where. if a club came in big for him i wouldnt be too upset about it

• Advertisement

Good result yesterday & great for Bruno's confidence. The performance though wasnt anywhere near what we should be aiming for. Leicester dominated the game for large parts & could have easily won the game themselves 1-2. They played on Thursday abroad & teams tend to suffer a hangover from that too.

Carragher was right in his summation in that we should be looking to finish up the table as high as possible to attract a better quality of player. Krath wasnt bad but some of his tackles were as a result of his mistakes positional wise in the first place. Wood looks wrecked but even if he wasnt he should be at best, our third choice striker. Saint Maxim is starting to resemble A.Traore more & more every week, great at dribbling and moving forward but his end product is poor to say the least.

We were completely over run in midfield, Shelvey & Bruno together doesnt work imo, they are too similar & neither are what you would call hard working tackling midfielders. If you look at liverpool for example, they will usually have fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Thiago. We have enough flair players offensively between Saint Maxim & Almiron.

Home to palace & away to Norwich next, if we get 6 points in those games, top 10 is definitely realistic.

I honestly think we are using ASM wrongly it's too easy for opponents to double mark him when he is out wide IMO he should be behind the striker in a number 10 role that way he could get running at the centre halfs and really cause problems but you're right the end product has to improve.

Agreed on most of this especially on Wood he's a carthorse and works his bollocks off for the team can't fault him on that but I think we'll take care of the striker situation in the summer for me its our number 1 priority Nunez would be fantastic but we should definitely be casting a wide net. I'd go in for Eriksen as well it'd be a free transfer and he'd run games for us in midfield. For me I'd like Botman Nunez Eriksen Targett as starters to come in and we should really be focused on picking up future superstars like that Hickey at Bologna.

I mentioned it before on Kraft but when he comes in our defence is stronger. I don't really rate him but defensively id have him over manquillo at this stage.

Honestly our performances have been shite since Trippier has been out. thankfully we have shown the heart the grind out the results which shows we can now ride the storm

Id agree on Shelvey and Bruno too alike, with Bruno he moves with the pass, Shelvey admires it and as become predictable.

our goal scoring midfielder should be Joelinton, unfortunately in the box he can't kick snow off a rope. Eriksen on a free is a good shout id also go in for tarkowski, nothing to lose. id also offer 50-60m for James ward prowse and see if Southampton bite, as a striker Nunez should be our number one target

Yah I dont think hes (Krafth) a terrible defender, just seems to lack awareness sometimes & seems a bit nervous on the ball. Will be great to see Trippier back hopefully for the pool game on the 30th although thats probably being too optimistic.

Id like to see him start Willock, Bruno & Joelinton tonight to see how they play together, I dont think they have yet. Up front, it was interesting in that when he took off Wood the other day, it didnt effect us too much, but a front three of Fraser, Wood & Murphy/Saint Maxim would be whats expected tonight. Maybe Saint Maxim again to give him his confidence back, seems to be lacking it currently. The rest of the team picks itself then.

Will be interesting to see how Palace react tonight, We'll have to be careful & expecting the inevitable backlash from their FA cup loss but hopefully they're thinking about their summer holidays instead. Without doubt, they're capable of producing results against the big teams, Have the scalps of City, Spurs Wolves already this season & got results against Arsenal & West Ham.

Brilliant win again tonight dominated for an hour then let them back in a bit but saw it out in the end. An absolute cracker from Almiron as well. Howe has done some job recognises our limitations and has them so well drilled it's scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Great assist from Bruno Guimaraes and he seems to be making a habit of showing a bit of quality to make a difference in games. Also brilliant finish from Almiron with a good show of strength and speed to get into a shooting position and left the Palace keeper with no chance of saving the ball in the top corner of the goal. Could be a contender for goal of the month. Only behind Brighton now on goal difference and a top ten finish from verge of relegation half way through the season would be great turn around from where the team was.

Unbelievable really when you see it layed out like that what a job Eddie and the lads have done. I actually look forward to all our games now and I can't wait till next season.

Winning Premier league games easily after making 4 changes christ I could get used to this lads.

You don't want this season to end, the momentum at the moment is ecstatic.

a dismal 10 points after 18 games to now being 9 points off West ham in 7th

It really is some going.

4 games left and we should be going into them with full of confidence, you can see by the dressing room photo each week that every smile is meaningful and everyone wants to be part of it!

No reason why we can't give Liverpool a good rattle at ST James Park on Saturday we gave them a game at Anfield and they had 12 men that day!.

• Advertisement

Eddie Howe is magic!

Schar signs a 2 year deal.

His contract was up in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That was a lesson today.

With a bit of luck & some good work in the transfer market we’ll be playing like that in a few years 🤞🏼

We got another illustration yesterday of just how much ground we have to make up no harm for the owners to see that every now and again.

Yeah I was chatting to a few Liverpool supports before the game, they were hoping we would do them a favour and I did say it will be 5+

the top teams know how to turn it on, and City are one of the best at it, let alone we have never turned up at the Etihad in the league ( i do remember Aarons scoring an early game to beat them in the cup years back)

I hope everyone can see its not an overnight job and to break into even the top 7 for me will take 2-3 years.

If we can finish top 10 next 2 years and a couple of semi finals in the 2 cups I will be happy enough.

Main thing to take from yesterday is Wilson and Trippier got minutes, ease them in again next week and start them V Burnley

Telegraph reporting Lingard looking for too much money and we've ended our pursuit of him. The Saudis are obviously determined that they won't be mugged off by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Mail linking us with Danjuma today as well.

• Advertisement

Not unhappy with missing out on Lingard, although he had a very successful loan spell with West ham last year, I think he could be quite troublesome/divisive in the dressing room & motivated by the wrong things, most significantly money. Dont really see where he fits into our current system but if we're going to change up how we play next season, I'd prefer us to go after the likes of Ericksen.

Matchday today hopefully we can go out with a home win our record against Arsenal is abysmal so we really owe them one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Great performance with Wilson unlucky not to score. Lost count how many times he was caught offside but he had the Arsenal defense unsettled for the full game and the pressing from the team was done very well. Looking forward to next season already.

I can't wait for next season already Newcastle United are back baby and we are going to upset a lot of these fcukers next season bring it on!

Superb end to the season! Massive credit has to go to Eddie Howe, the job he has done has been nothing short of a miracle. Yes we signed players in January but the improvement in players like Schar, Krafth, Willock, Shelvey, Joelinton and to a lesser extent Almiron shows how good a job he's done.

Excited for what the summer brings and hopefully a solid top half finish and being greedy a sneaky run at top 6/7.

PS. Both Wood and Weghorst are shite! 🤣

😂😂

No denying Weghorst didnt do as well as Burnley expected him to do but he got three more assists than Chris Wood. Playing in a poor team, its not a terrible return. If we hadnt dropped 25m on Wood I still think he'd be a better option for us when we need to go to a plan b. I think even by Howes own selections, he doesnt have a high regard of Wood. Left on the bench for 4 of our last 5 games.

But great turn around for our season, Howe deserves a lot of credit for that. Havent always been the biggest fan of him but he's getting the best out of players that did little to nothing before he arrived. Whether he can establish us as a top 6/top 4 side in the future, the jury is still out, we were annihilated by Man city & when you see Villa nearly won there yesterday, thats not good enough.

Alot comes down to signings in the summer now in where we go from here. Worried about the rumours we're getting Henderson, apparently he's been identified as one of the leaks in the Man United dressing room. Id prefer us to go for one of our up & coming Irish goalkeepers, Bazuna or Kelleher. sign Targett, a central midfielder, an attacking midfielder & a striker, if anything left over, a central defender to compete with Schar & Burn. Id be delighted with that.

Ended up being a super season.

Hopefully an exciting summer, Regarding Wood, we all knew as soon as Wilson was fit he was in, Gayle will be gone and we should push for a top class striker this year.

We are a long way off giving City/Liverpool a right go year in year out(most of the world are) and will be for another 2/3 years if recruitment goes right, so getting spanked by them isn't daunting to me, sure even Spurs hopped off us both times this year. aside from that we got 13 wins.

All we can do is keep improving on the previous year, we finished on 49, our aim next 2 seasons should be 55-60 points (which will bring us in or around European spots) Id also love a cup run (even a semi final)

S.Longstaff signed up today, new three year contract. So I think its safe to assume Howe is intending to mainly stick with his three midfield strategy, Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Longstaff, Elliot possibly & Shelvey. Id like to see Shelvey moved on to be replaced by Paqueta in an ideal world.

I hope the club doesnt go the cheap route in the summer, we still need some vital additions to start properly challenging for the top 6 next season (that should be the ambition), we're not a million miles away but we have still close to 150-200m to spend to keep us safe with FFP.

A number of wise additions could see us there competing.

Multiple sources have said budget is 60-100 and we wont get much for our current crop to add to that .

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what the club are leaking to journos alright I don't completely believe that though especially with the Times reporting today that we are seriously interested in Paqueta and the 50 million fee would be no problem.

Advertisement