Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

we can add to the taylor nonsense

from NUFC.co.uk
    "Jonas has been a great player for Newcastle and someone who has given everything for the Club," Coloccini explained.
    "He was here for seven years and that is a long time to be with one team. But this is football and life continues, and I am sure he will do well wherever his next club is.
    "The fans here love him because in the worst days he was still here. Jonas stayed at the Club in its worst days - when we went down - and he helped get us straight back up again."
    Gutierrez signed off his time on Tyneside with a goal against West Ham on the final day of the season, helping Newcastle secure their Premier League status for another season.
    And Coloccini continued: "I am very proud of him for that moment.
    "In my opinion, one of the biggest reasons we stayed in the Premier League this season was because Jonas was on the pitch in the final game.
    "Scoring in front of the Gallowgate End in his last game for the Club was perfect."

Jonas responds
    The coments that coló has supposed to have said about me to nufc are un true i have spoken to him about this matter.

I guess Colo's rousing rallying call came from the same source then as suspected

Different rhetoric, same BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ashley doing his best to keep potential signings away from the club with this nonsense.

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

That_Guy wrote: »
    Ashley doing his best to keep potential signings away from the club with this nonsense.

Embarrassing.

Good signing would cost money....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Vieria out of the running, one step closer to McClaren...

Whats the feeling if it end up being McLaren?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Nufc.com are saying it is.

He's barely any better then Carver and probably no better then Pardew.

**** this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

In fairness mcclaren deserves a chance at least, he's a million times better than carver, and hopefully proves better than pardew, who did people expect? Mcclaren is on a free, English, will tow the line and will do what he's told simple.

Fired for failing to secure promotion from Championship with strong Derby side obviously translates to successful premier league manager who will "win something or get into the champions league"

I hope I'm wrong about McLaren but i just dont see him as the kind of manager who will do well in the confines of the NUFC job. We need a motivator and a tactician who can get the most out of the players who are only here to attract bigger clubs

Did he not win the Ere Divisie when he was there?

I agree he probably should have had that derby side promoted, but that is a though division to get out of

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Did he not win the Ere Divisie when he was there?

I agree he probably should have had that derby side promoted, but that is a though division to get out of

Not sure if he won it, that was when tiote was there IIRC

• Advertisement

He did win it.

He's also been sacked from multiple clubs and just failed to get promoted with one of the best sides in the Championship.

Anyone surprised? Funny that he's Carr's mate too. Until this jobs for the boys mentality ****s off we are going nowhere.

Also funny hes only interested now that he needs a job and has rejected us before.

Charnley is an utter clown.

I'm willing to give him a chance tbh. I get the feeling football has moved on since his best days though.

Underwhelming, but expected. Shows MA interview was more nonsense to add to the steaming pile.

Was reading an article on McLaren as Newcasle Manager being nearly done and found the 2 commments from 2 different contributers amongst other comments. Actually I think they would sum up how I feel about it myself.
    McClaren might not be my first choice, but he might be what we need right now - an experienced manager to steady the boat. Derby fans I've spoken to tell me the best football they've seen in years has been under McClaren. They were robbed of play off success by QPR's one shot on target last season and our interest in him this season coincided with their dip in form. What he did at Boro was bordering on miraculous! Regardless of who gets the job, a section of our fans won't be happy - they never are. That's just life. Whoever gets the job, make it quick so he can start recruitment. There's no long queue of top managers banging the door down after all. No fans, at any club in the PL, get to choose their manager. That's not how it works. Whoever gets the job, I'll back him because I can't change it and positivity beats negativity hands down. If McClaren gets the job, it's a massive step up from Carver after all. HTL! ! !
    No doubt this will upset a lot of NUFC fans who don't think of him as a particularly exciting appointment but haven't watched Derby the past two seasons, they play exciting attacking football with young British players. He transformed FC Twente into a winning side. Looking at NUFC managers, past present and potential - his win rate is higher than Allardyce, Rodgers, Moyes, Galtier, Carver and Pardew and only slight less than Garde and Howe (who haven't managed much) and Souness. And that includes his dreadful spell at Wolfsburg. I for one am absolutely delighted that we are not getting Carver again and happy that we are getting a man of experience at the helm once again.

Yeah that's well and good but Emery, Billic, De Boer, Laudrup and even Klopp are available.

Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear, Houghton, Pardew, Carver and now McClaren.

As dull as stale bread.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Yeah that's well and good but Emery, Billic, De Boer, Laudrup and even Klopp are available.

Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear, Houghton, Pardew, Carver and now McClaren.

As dull as stale bread.

Sorry mate but from the stories I've read Laudrup isnt the kind of manager I'd like to see at Newcastle.

De Boer isnt available.

Klopp taking a break smell of the Guardiola 'year out' - He has a job lined up.

Lets be fair, we've never attracted big name managers that had no prior links to the club, Daglish being an exception ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

BBC Sport:
    Patrick Vieira was also considered as an option to become the next boss of the Magpies. However, both parties opted not to pursue a possible deal following differences over recruitment and transfer policy.

I can imagine the conversation going something like:

Vieira: "well given that ye will pull in upwards of £100m between TV rights deals, sponsorships and savings in wages from players released, I think it's reasonable to expect a transfer budget of £20m"

NUFC board: "lol what do you want £20m for!? We just want the bare minimum to stay in the league, fcuk the cups. We'll give you £5-10m"

Vieira: ........."I think I have to leave, thanks for your time"

I'd be happy enough with McClaren, it's the best that could be expected tbh.

McClaren is probably a dead cert as it stands.

An underwhelming name but an expected appointment.

I'm willing to give him a chance but I would rather a new backroom staff with fresh ideas rather than the current crop we have there now.

We've let two players go already with a host more out the door you'd imagine so we have to get somebody in quickly to get new players in.

How much we'll spend I do not know. The first couple of additions will tell a lot really.

He's actually done a few decent things in the game and Derby fans say they played a decent brand of football.

I'll give him a chance as I would anyone but it just feels like a very status quo appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

The manager of this club has no say in transfers judging from what Pardew went through. Progress should already be made on transfer activity which it isn't so whoever we get in will be lumped with the same squad and have to bring through some younger players.

• Advertisement

Rumours that Carr and Stone are to lose their jobs if Luke Edwards from the Telegraph is to be believed.

https://twitter.com/LukeEdwardsTele/status/608267128928641024

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Carver gone according to the telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/11662671/John-Carver-sacked-by-Newcastle-United.html

John Carver has paid the price for dragging Newcastle United dangerously close to relegation with his job.
    Carver won just three games in five months as caretaker manager and has been told he will not be allowed to return to his role as assistant manager.
    First team coach Steve Stone will also leave as managing director Lee Charnley clears the decks for Steve McClaren’s arrival and punishes those responsible for hurling the club into an unexpected fight for survival.
    Carver had spoken defiantly about remaining at the club, despite his terrible spell in charge of the team, but was seen as part of the problem rather than a solution. It was also felt the players needed to hear new voices on the training ground.
    Carver returned to Newcastle as Alan Pardew’s assistant in 2010.
    More to follow...

Charnley should fire himself too given the piss poor job he's done.

Would feel a little more confident if McClaren is allowed to have his own backroom staff in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Having a few clowns who couldn't even get the best team in the championship promoted doesn't put me at ease to be honest!

Seeing anyone lose their jobs usually isn't something I enjoy but thank ****!

I'm sure the compensation will make them feel better.

Finally a decision that (from the outside at least) makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

cant understand why we didnt make a move for andre ayew,

heading to swansea by the looks on a free

D_turbo wrote: »
    cant understand why we didnt make a move for andre ayew,

heading to swansea by the looks on a free

Supposedly offered 2m signing on
    And 30k a week tax free,
    Gignac I believe posted on Twitter delighted he's gone! Did nothing but moan there

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

cadete wrote: »
    Supposedly offered 2m signing on
    And 30k a week tax free,
    Gignac I believe posted on Twitter delighted he's gone! Did nothing but moan there

Swansea offered him that?

Jesus, Wouldnt be suprised, Seemed like a good player tho, last thing we need is another problem.

Id love gignac to go, never happen tho

D_turbo wrote: »
    Swansea offered him that?

Jesus, Wouldnt be suprised, Seemed like a good player tho, last thing we need is another problem.

Id love gignac to go, never happen tho
    We offered the above SUPPOSEDLY 😀

Lee Clark in talks to be on McClarens staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lads I think McClaren is a decent choice tbh. He's solid and will make a fist of the current squad. He won't work miracles but you'll get to move on from the Carver nonsense and not be sweating relegation.

At least it's a clean slate now anyway. Anything connected to Pardew except for Woodman is pretty much gone now.

If we get Austin i'll actually be pretty pleased with the summer so far :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Cabaye should be signed, he was our best player here for the last 5 years

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Cabaye should be signed, he was our best player here for the last 5 years

30 soon though. That ship has sailed imo. Cabella through the middle or De Jong can probably do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

He's offically appointed now. Let the circus begin

JS65736586.jpg

3 year deal possibly rising to 8.

Not my choice but good luck to him.

- Steve McClaren appointed on a three-year deal, which could rise to eight if successful

- Says his aim is to win a trophy and get Newcastle United into the top eight

- Has a contract which is incentivised if he wins a Cup

- Newcastle appoint McClaren to the board, along with Bob Moncur and Graham Carr

- Mike Ashley steps down from the board along with John Irving

Those last two are quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Meh, but I can live with it.

More accomplished to Pardew anyway.

3 football men in the board, far more interesting than the head coach appointment! Previously 4 with no football experience whatsoever

Happy with the appointment.

Now get the fans (further) on site with one or 2 good signings swiftly (to be build on with 4-5 more)

PS: loving the rumour of Williamson leaving (to any club at all really, but leeds are linked at the moment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Interesting maybe even exciting times ahead .
    3 New Board Appointees
    Ashley resigns from Board
    Decent coaching manager by some accounts
    Not the greatest record (England, Wolfsborg) but has won a league title abroad, and won a domestic cup.

We need some serious squad overhaul though.
    2 Centre Halves
    Left Back
    2 Strikers
    1 Winger and possibly a centre mid although Abeid should be given more of a chance ditto Bigi.
    Thats 8 players to come in and start. Tall order.

Leaving should be imo
    Williamson
    Cisse
    Riviere
    Ferguson
    Obertan
    Tiote
    Coloccini
    Gouffran
    Elliott although hes a decent back up but with Darlow coming in should he be 3rd choice?

Some interesting young players, some with make or break seasons
    Haidara
    Abeid
    Bigi
    Vuckic
    Dummett
    Aarons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wouldn't read too much into Ashley leaving as being anything all that positive or changing. IMO it's moreso just a ploy to take himself out of the firing line and that he will see it as a way of garnering positivity among the fans ahead of the new season.

Now if things start going tits up it'll be the board that are the target as opposed to him, meanwhile in the background he'll still be calling the shots.

Paully D wrote: »
    Wouldn't read too much into Ashley leaving as being anything all that positive or changing. IMO it's moreso just a ploy to take himself out of the firing line and that he will see it as a way of garnering positivity among the fans ahead of the new season.

Now if things start going tits up it'll be the board that are the target as opposed to him, meanwhile in the background he'll still be calling the shots.

Partly right! I don't think anyone will be targeting the board if it does not go well. That said the club probably think they will. They already treat the fans like mugs, would be surprised if that changes

I see city released John Guidetti ....worth a punt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Have to say I'm happy with the appointment, worked wonders at Middlesbrough and twente. Bad times at forest and Wolfsburg and the England job ruined his reputation ( it has ruined the vast majority of reputations to be honest ) . He was extremely highly regarded by Ferguson and the United players so that has to be a positive. And he had derby flying last season until he was linked with us in January and then they collapsed.

I'm optimistic, it's fresh and upbeat news at least. Charlie Austin as our number 9 and a few more young and eager signings and we might just have a team worth getting excited about again.

Howay the lads 😊😊

Looks like Richards is going to Villa and Chelsea are in for Austin, same sh?t every year, nothing changes

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Looks like Richards is going to Villa and Chelsea are in for Austin, same sh?t every year, nothing changes

To be fair ... if chelsea are in for Austin also, do you expect us to be his favoured destination?

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    To be fair ... if chelsea are in for Austin also, do you expect us to be his favoured destination?

Well, that's exactly my point. Look no further than Remy. Then again, he would struggle to get on the bench there.

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Well, that's exactly my point. Look no further than Remy. Then again, he would struggle to get on the bench there.

I'd be upset if some one like Swansea / Sunderland / Stoke / West Brom were beating us to players ... Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs ... are on a differnent level than us at the moment and you cant blame players for choosing them over us if indeed they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think this preferred Media partners stuff stinks, much of the press and media were excluded from McClaren's press conference . I think only the Mirror and Sky were allowed in. Say something displeasing to Ashley and you're out? Or is it a financial thing. Either way it's very poor impinging on the freedom of the press and all that

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/10/newcastle-united-accused-by-reporters-over-steve-mcclaren-interviews

Advertisement