Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

That_Guy wrote: »
    Saw the highlights vs Portland this morning. While it was a makeshift team, we conceded 3 goals from set pieces.

It's only pre-season and the likes of Satka are not ready for the first team but it still is slightly worrying.

We desperately need at least two new bodies at CB.

Seen the highlights as well, Aarons looked sharp but was playing from left back in the first half with Ferguson/Satka at centre half - If this ever happens in a competitive match we will be ripped to shreds. Think McClaren had said he didn't want to risk certain players on the astro surface.

We definitively need some defensive cover in, would like us to go in for Johnny Evans, prob never happen though at the 10m price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pure speculation but read somewhere at a quick glance (Chronicle perhaps) that we're planning to offer 13m for Austin plus Bigirimana and Vuckic to QPR.

Two fringe players off the books plus cash seems like a decent offer.

We need CB's though and we really have to make it a priority at this stage. Austin plus new defenders would be an absolutely brilliant bit of business to add to the other lads we've signed.

Plus De Jong is still to get a decent run out in the squad. Hopefully his injuries are behind him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Leroy Fer is a player the club should be going after for a number of reasons. McLaren knows him well as they spent a season together at Twente, which was Fer's big breakthrough season, so we know McLaren can get the best out of him. Second of all, the club badly needs another quality box-to-box midfielder, and it would let Sissoko (if he stays) hang off Mitrovic or Austin where he's best IMO. He'd also be fairly affordable given that he's a Championship player. He also adds a few more goals to the team, which was badly lacking last season.

It's a signing that makes perfect sense IMO, even if it lacks the excitement of a Mitrovic or Wijnaldum. Of course a couple of central defenders is the priority, but with the imminent arrival of Mbemba (who looks fantastic for any of you who haven't seen him play) they're clearly not losing sight of where improvements are needed and I'd expect another CB to be signed before the close of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

If we managed to get two centre backs and another striker I would be happy. Hopefully Aarons can stay fit this season and get some game time as he looks a real talent every time he plays and we are in need of some wingers especially after the signing of Mitrovic.

Midfield is going to be very hard to pick this season and I feel some will leave..

Left back is another area we aren't great in as I think Dummett is a better centre half than left back and Haidara can be all over the place..

Nice to see Timmy has some competition this summer because you could see last season he lost his sharpness

All in all a lot more positive than I expected a month ago.. Like to keep Cisse too Cant argue with his goal record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Mbemba signed pending visa waiting on an fa panel on thursday,
    Following an agreement between Newcastle United and Anderlecht for the transfer of Chancel Mbemba, the player has been in Newcastle and has agreed personal terms with the Club and undergone his medical.
    The documentation in relation to the Club's application for a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE), required in order for Mbemba to obtain a visa, was submitted to the FA on Wednesday morning (22nd July).
    Unfortunately, the FA are unable to consider the Club's application until Thursday of next week (30th July). The FA advised the Club they were not able to convene a Panel any sooner.
    The Club will provide an update for supporters at the earliest opportunity following the conclusion of the Panel hearing.

really suprised were going ahead with this one considering nobody really knows what age he is, anderlect say 20, the guy himself thinks 25!!
    last line of that statement says alot aswell communication has improved imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He was bone tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

cadete wrote: »
    Mbemba signed pending visa waiting on an fa panel on thursday,

really suprised were going ahead with this one considering nobody really knows what age he is, anderlect say 20, the guy himself thinks 25!!
    last line of that statement says alot aswell communication has improved imo

At this stage, I really couldn't give a damn if he was 30, we need defenders!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I'm not sure I can remember a preseason as bad as this one, I know McLaren has been very critical of the planning of the games, sounds like it's been down Carver & Charnley. We've played poor teams in low leagues and have only scraped a 1-0 win at Gateshead thanks to a penalty and another 1-0 to a lower league American side thanks to an OG.

I partly understand McLaren's points on travelling over to America, but the long travels doesn't seem to effect the top teams travelling the world for preseason and they don't piss and moan about it.

0,,10278~13875717,00.jpg

Number 3 is here. Still need more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Williamson is still at the club, we are not finished

• Advertisement

Delighted with Mbemba, but one more centre half is needed. Lascelles is not good enough yet, Coloccini isn't the player he was, and Williamson is...well..Williamson.

Apart from Yanga, he's the first CB we have signed since Sol Campbell...

Clown shoes club.

Still unsure as to what our best team is. Mine is below but it's very unbalanced with Wijnaldum and De Jong were similar.

Krul

Janmatt Coloccini Mbemba Dummett

Colback

Aarons De Jong Wijnaldum

Mitrovic Cisse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Personally wanna see another left back brought in as dummett is woefull in that position(bit better in the middle), still lots in the news about thauvin from Marseille supposedly made a 17million euro offer for him this week!
    Cant see any more centre halfs coming in colo, mbemba, taylor, lascelles and dare I say it Williamson!
    Left back and another winger and it would certainly be a good window for the club, and nobody to leave except maybe Williamson as the squad is still thin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

To be honest, I'm fairly disappointed bordering on outraged that the likes of Williamson and Obertan are even still at the club let alone so close to the first eleven. Mbemba and Colo are both expected not to start so we will have a fairly weak defence against Southampton next week.

I am trying to remain positive, it's still hard to deny that the players brought in are merely replacements that's are overdue by a year or more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Time to roll out the tumbleweed gif again. Doesn't even seem to be rumours of us looking for players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Icaras wrote: »
    Time to roll out the tumbleweed gif again. Doesn't even seem to be rumours of us looking for players.

Nonsense, you are on the cusp of signing livewire striker Ivan Toney (yes THE Ivan Toney) from Northampton Town. Unless it's already been announced after days and days of excited speculation?

Actually, he had two day trial up there, trained with under 21s, he isn't a bad prospect, very enthusiastic but very raw, needs to beef up a bit too, might be a good player for you in a couple of years but looks way off first team or reserves yet a while. Supposed fee is any where from 100,000 to half a million depending on what twitter feed you read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Nonsense, you are on the cusp of signing livewire striker Ivan Toney (yes THE Ivan Toney) from Northampton Town. Unless it's already been announced after days and days of excited speculation?

Actually, he had two day trial up there, trained with under 21s, he isn't a bad prospect, very enthusiastic but very raw, needs to beef up a bit too, might be a good player for you in a couple of years but looks way off first team or reserves yet a while. Supposed fee is any where from 100,000 to half a million depending on what twitter feed you read.

Can he play centreback? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Need another four solid faces in this window if we are truly to make it a decent summer.

Reckon we'll prob end up with 2 more and that Toney lad.

The defence has been a shambles for at least 3 seasons. We are leaking goals. If we dont strengthen we will be in a relegation scrap. The offensive players will be dragged back to help out negating any improvements. To define this season as progressive hinges entirely on defensive reinforcements

Anyone else hear McClaren speaking on BBC Newcastle last night?

One of the more interesting thing he mentioned was keeping Sissoko and building a team around him....

When he's bothered, he can be great.... When he's bothered.

Not sure if I'd fancy a team built around him. If anything we should be building our team around Perez, Colback and maybe Wijnaldum.

Anyone else hear McClaren speaking on BBC Newcastle last night?

One of the more interesting thing he mentioned was keeping Sissoko and building a team around him....

When he's bothered, he can be great.... When he's bothered.

Not sure if I'd fancy a team built around him. If anything we should be building our team around Perez, Colback and maybe Wijnaldum.

May be better without Pardew/Carver around!

Colo signs a one year extension.

Doubt we'll be signing another CB any time soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

I renewed the Boards nufc fans league for fantasy football. If anyone wants to join the code is 396813-102930

If I see a sunderland player on anyones team though they will be immediately booted :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just booked my first game of the season to see Watford take on yourselves in SJP on Saturday September 19th. :D Staying over on Saturday night and coming back on the Sunday.

Hotels in Newcastle are insane and managed to drag along three friends for the trip. Anyone got any recommendations for a particular hostel or anything? Obviously we'll be going out in Newcastle on the Sat night.

The Albatross Backpackers Hostel is grand. I've stayed there a few times myself. Handy location (right by the train station Metro stop from the airport).

Everything in Newcastle city centre is within walking distance so you'll have no worries there.

If you're heading out on match day, Sam Jack's is a lively spot with drinks promos and what not.

The Strawberry pub (right beside St James' Gallowgate end) is a great little boozer too. Does be wedged on match day but one of the more popular post match drinking spots for a couple of hours at least.

Enjoy it. Very jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The Albatross Backpackers Hostel is grand. I've stayed there a few times myself. Handy location (right by the train station Metro stop from the airport).

Everything in Newcastle city centre is within walking distance so you'll have no worries there.

If you're heading out on match day, Sam Jack's is a lively spot with drinks promos and what not.

The Strawberry pub (right beside St James' Gallowgate end) is a great little boozer too. Does be wedged on match day but one of the more popular post match drinking spots for a couple of hours at least.

Enjoy it. Very jealous.

Ended up going for this one in the end. 35 each so was decent value too. Flights and accom worked out at just over 100 so very happy with that. Away end ticket will be about 27 pounds so it'll come to 150 euro all in which is quite decent value.

Now to just hope we have a decent start to the season so it's a decent game!

https://twitter.com/nufc/status/630340307343814656

Decent enough line-up but the big difference between this and last season is the bench. There are some really game-changers on the bench today, and could be key to getting something out of the game.

Obertan!!!!

no Williamson is a massive plus though, not even on the bench

• Advertisement

Well lads, what streaming sites do you use?? Believe me when I say that it's been a very long time since I've streamed a Newcastle game!!

Happy enough with that line up, especially defensively. Can't see colo lasting the 90 but Saylor is there to step in. Would like to see Aarons for Obs but I reckon second half changes of Mitrovic and Aarons could liven things up depending on the score. A positive performance and a team that plays decent football will get the crowd going and hopefully the result will follow.

We are pushing up and pressing Southampton. Tracking back also looks more organised. Long time since i saw us on the front foot! Still dodgy at the back

Strong shout for a penalty that! 100% hit his hand and it was up in the air. Unsure if he meant to block it with his hand but no reason for his hand to be up there?

Cock

Balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Cock & Balls.

Southampton have looked like scoring with their 3 chances, all of which should have been stopped. We look better going forward and in mid field in every metric, still ****e at the back

we can count ourselves unlucky tbh, more of the ball, better chances, 2 penalty calls that didnt go our way

cock, balls and long streak of Pelle!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Obertan and cisse are terrible

• Advertisement

bazual wrote: »
    cock, balls and long streak of Pelle!

Lol

Cisse man! Touch!!!

Another handball and no penalty again!

Southampton very nervous at the back, failing to clear time and time again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

M5 wrote: »
    Another handball and no penalty again!

Southampton very nervous at the back, failing to clear time and time again

He looked to try to handle it, but got lucky in that it didn't catch his arm?

Saints look very shaky at the back, Cedric needs to be exploited more.

For a team with two defensive midfielders how are saints getting so much ball in front of our back 4.

Another unchallenged header in and around our 6 yard box. Buy some bloody defenders ffs. Its been the same for 3 years ffs

get in

Anita and Colback are woeful, not sure what kind of setup it is but its not working. Obertan has to go at half time this game is ideal for Aarons to get cedric sent off with some trickery.

Get in!!!!!!

A goal?!?! For Newcastle?!?

Good stuff.

Irony of ironies the cross deflected off a Southampton players HAND*

*3rd time lucky

• Advertisement

What a save

What a miss

Another free header