Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

What a goal! Obertan take a bow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Jesus, that was magical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Yes!! This is more like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

That brought me back to Gillespie feeding Asprilla against Barca. Savage from Obertan, woukd still take him off though.

• Advertisement

Obertan didn't fall over or pass the ball over the end line for once!

Jasus Colback, in for the penny in for the pound I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

That brought me back to Gillespie feeding Asprilla against Barca. Savage from Obertan, woukd still take him off though.

Still dodgy at the back! Not sure if these issues can be coached out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

Fastest booking ever lol

• Advertisement

Will ya buy a bloody centre half ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Janmatt was shocking there.

What is it with substitutes scoring against us?

What the **** Coloccni????

Draw was probably a fair result.

Positives to take but we still look ****e at the back.

Very lucky to get a point in the end, coloccini just standing still, mane should have had 2 Atleast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Jesus, that was 100% better than ANY game last year.

Not to displeased with that for a first game of the season

Better than last season for sure! same defensive frailties still present though! Could be a decent season IF we sign a centre half and a left back. That area changed what would have been a comfortable win into an uncomfortable draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I cant see us signing another CB, with Colo signing a contract extension and Mbemba starting today, it looks like they will be our starting CB partnership. Bear in mind this was Colo's first game so far this pre-season, pretty much same going for Mbemba, who by the way looks like a class act, although he may have been at fault for the first goal. Janmaat will get better as the season goes, we all know he is quality, probably just needs a few games to get up to speed.

I think LB is a realistic signing to be made, although Haidara is decent going forward he fills me with no confidence in defence. This also applies to Obertan, although he made the assist for the 2nd goal, he is a lazy shíte and doesnt track back, I was screaming at him to put some pressure on the Southampton players in the lead up to Long's goal but he was just strolling around.

So we need a new LB and hopefully start Aarons on the left going forward, also Aarons played at LB during pre-season so I think McLaren will play him at left mid eventually but just wants to get the defensive side to his game up to scratch.

Anita and Colback are looking like a really good partnership, you could tell the game started to get away from us when Anita went off injured. Sissoko looked really up for it but became less effective as the game went on. Wijnaldum is just class. Cisse will do shag all but still get you a goal. I wont judge Mitrovic or De Jong as we were on the back foot when they came on but I was hoping for a little more from De Jong, he seems incredibly slow for someone his age.

All in all, fair result. Happy to get a LB and another winger, oh how we could use a Milner type workhorse on the wing.

You have to take into account Southampton have already played several fixtures and they looked a lot sharper and had more match fitness then us, especially towards the end.

I'd have taken a draw before kick off so can't complain really.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Chancel-Mbemba.jpg
    Slick man.

Happy with a draw. would have taken the result before kick off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Not seen it yet but sounds like it was much improved. Kinda glad Obertan was playing (even though I know most don't like him I do), he was actually coming into some form before he got injured last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Only managed to catch the highlights on MOTD 2 last night so I may not be fully able to give an honest assessment but I can only comment on what I've seen.

Ok, the positives. Let's start there. We looked hungrier which, in truth wouldn't be too difficult given the crap we endured last season.

Thought we looked to pass it around nicely and actually got people into good positions while on the attack. Wijnaldum looks a quality player to have lurking around the edge of the box.

His goal was excellent too and I haven't seen us score a counter attacking goal like that in god knows how long. Credit to Obertan who did extremely well to carry on the run and dink a ball into the box under pressure.

Beautiful.

Negatives:

The defending. Again, I didn't see the whole game but what was shown, we looked all over the place. It's clear that we need another centre half and a left back to shore things up.

Cisse's poor touches really annoyed me. Ok, first game of the season but he needs to be doing better than that. I can forgive him though because I always like when he scores.

We're lacking pace and creativity on the flanks. Obertan does have pace but he just seems to shít the bed anytime he gets the ball and doesn't know what to do with it.

Overall, a draw is probably the right result based on both teams inability to defend at the back.

We could and probably should have had a penalty or two.

On McClaren's comments post game, something really irked me when he said, "There's something about this place. The crowd always want you to push on and go for the killer goal and sometimes we can't do that"

To be honest, why shouldn't we be going all out and trying to get wins at home? We're more than capable.

Besides, the reason fans call for attack is because they know that this team is incapable of sitting on a lead. If we were to bring in some more competent recruits to secure the back 4 then maybe we can sit back and defend what we have.

Overall, there are positives to be taken. I'd need to watch the entire game but hopefully we can get a couple of players in.

Tough looking game against Swansea coming up but oddly, I'm happy to see us back.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Only managed to catch the highlights on MOTD 2 last night so I may not be fully able to give an honest assessment but I can only comment on what I've seen.

Ok, the positives. Let's start there. We looked hungrier which, in truth wouldn't be too difficult given the crap we endured last season.

Thought we looked to pass it around nicely and actually got people into good positions while on the attack. Wijnaldum looks a quality player to have lurking around the edge of the box.

His goal was excellent too and I haven't seen us score a counter attacking goal like that in god knows how long. Credit to Obertan who did extremely well to carry on the run and dink a ball into the box under pressure.

Beautiful.

Negatives:

The defending. Again, I didn't see the whole game but what was shown, we looked all over the place. It's clear that we need another centre half and a left back to shore things up.

Cisse's poor touches really annoyed me. Ok, first game of the season but he needs to be doing better than that. I can forgive him though because I always like when he scores.

We're lacking pace and creativity on the flanks. Obertan does have pace but he just seems to shít the bed anytime he gets the ball and doesn't know what to do with it.

Overall, a draw is probably the right result based on both teams inability to defend at the back.

We could and probably should have had a penalty or two.

On McClaren's comments post game, something really irked me when he said, "There's something about this place. The crowd always want you to push on and go for the killer goal and sometimes we can't do that"

To be honest, why shouldn't we be going all out and trying to get wins at home? We're more than capable.

Besides, the reason fans call for attack is because they know that this team is incapable of sitting on a lead. If we were to bring in some more competent recruits to secure the back 4 then maybe we can sit back and defend what we have.

Overall, there are positives to be taken. I'd need to watch the entire game but hopefully we can get a couple of players in.

Tough looking game against Swansea coming up but oddly, I'm happy to see us back.

I think he was reffering to being 2-1 up and the crowd wanting them to push for a 3rd/ 4th ... rather than trying to hold what ya have

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Can anyone see us getting a single point against the next three opposition? So much for all the hype after drawing at home with Southampton.

Predictions:

1/. Swansea 3- Newcastle 1
    Can see Swansea being very unforgiven in the wide areas especially with Montero and Ayew, an area where we are particularly weak. Can us getting either an early goal or consolation through Cisse though.

2/. Manu 2- Newcastle 0
    Don't think this game will be as much of a struggle as it has been down the years, but can't see us scoring here and united will have too much.

3/. Newc 1-Arsenal 1
    Think we might nick a draw here. Depends what sort of form Arsenal are coming into the game and how offensive we are.

Apologies about the negativity, but always try to find positives when I can. Will look slightly better once we get these fixtures out of the way.

League Cup Draw

Home game against Northampton (after we signed their main threat) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    League Cup Draw

Home game against Northampton (after we signed their main threat) ...

You might give Toney a run out for that one? Tough games either side of it for you, so maybe a really weakened team and the Cobblers might have a chance. Northampton should bring a few up there too, cobblers fans are delighted with the draw anyway, apart from the feckin long trip midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

You might give Toney a run out for that one? Tough games either side of it for you, so maybe a really weakened team and the Cobblers might have a chance. Northampton should bring a few up there too, cobblers fans are delighted with the draw anyway, apart from the feckin long trip midweek.

Maybe slightly weakened but mcClaren has to push for a trophy, supporters demand it! Was a huge gripe with pardew getting knocked out early doors every year!

In fairness we shouldn't need a full strength side to beat Northampton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Moneymaker wrote: »
    In fairness we shouldn't need a full strength side to beat Northampton.

Thems fighting words. :pac:

• Advertisement

Win this trophy and Ashley will hopefully fúck off.

I say go for it. Screw the league. ;)

On today's game, I'm not entirely hopeful if I'm honest. I think Montero is going to cause us all sorts of problems and our defence looks brittle as hell. I'd be worried for us on the right but I'm even more fearful for our left hand side.

I think we'll score but I can see us losing 2/3-1 unfortunately. Would love to be proved wrong and there are certainly positives from last week's game but our record against Swansea away from home is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Swansea have won more points against Newcastle (17) than against any other team. According to the premier league website anyways. Not a good omen but if we continue to look hungry I'll be happy and we might snatch a credible result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Point is a good result but I'm hopeful we can take 3, my optimism has returned, season does look bright just get a left back and a decent winger now and it hopefully will be a good season for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Siem De Jong injured again, gutted, now our squad looks familiarly thin again

Defence wide open, I thinks it's going to be a long day!

I think our Southampton result has been give some context in the early game.

We are not in this at all. Early doors though

• Advertisement

Why on earth we aren't doubling up on Montero is beyond me. Everyone knew he was going to be the chief threat. Ridiculous.

Janmaat you tit

Called it.

Called it.

He had at least two warnings. That was just lazy.

Setup not working here, janmaat was immediately under pressure.

Not sure what's going on with our passing either

Close montero down ffs.

Players feeling sorry for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Someone explain the whole yellow card/red card thing to young Daryl, he's obviously new to this football game.

Well that was awful. Poor at the back, non existent in the middle, nothing up front, no closing, man sent off, sissoko probably injured.

Lads, I have no idea what way we're set up at the back at all. Mbemba looks to be coming on to the right wing a lot with Anita covering at CB??? No idea?

We look decent in patches but we're not creating anything. Wijnaldum is very quiet.

Obertan might be ok as an outlet but his attitude in tracking back when he loses out is fúcking disgraceful.

Janmaat is an idiot. With an already dodgy looking defensive unit, we're pretty fúcked now.

Anita vs Montero is not a battle I'm looking forward to watching in the second half.

Can see Tiote on for Wijnaldum if I'm honest. He's been quiet as I've mentioned.

Can't see us getting back into this game. Very very poor.

Newcastle United have now received 21 red cards over the last five seasons, more than any other Premier League side.

:rolleyes:

Knew this game was going to be utter ****e. We ALWAYS struggle against Swansea.

Personally I would have taken off Obertan and gone narrower

:rolleyes:

Knew this game was going to be utter ****e. We ALWAYS struggle against Swansea.

More red cards, more goals conceded! All the good stuff

How much time do we intend on giving them?

SIGN. SOME. BLOODY. DEFENDERS.

Two horrible balls from Obertan in promising positions there!

Winaldum some man for picking out the goalie

And another unchallenged headed goal conceded

• Advertisement
Advertisement