Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Am I fickle if I express concerns about McLaren?

I don't expect us to get better over night but im seriously worried by a lot of what i've seen in this game and the Swansea game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

BArra wrote: »
    odds on de jong going off injured?

Was just about to post that

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Am I fickle if I express concerns about McLaren?

I don't expect us to get better over night but im seriously worried by a lot of what i've seen in this game and the Swansea game.

Bit early for general concerns. Today has been a mess all round though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

seems a bit more newcastle possession at least albeit complete rubbish end product

In before "ye shouldn't have sacked pardew!"

• Advertisement

An actual shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Good play from De Jong on the ground, I'd say he was practicing that on the treatment table.

We have had 10 attempts?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Sissoko has been useless. He offers little really. I <3 Ayoze though. Proper effort

Can I remind people McLaren was sacked by Derby County last season.

A Championship club.

• Advertisement

Sissoko has been useless. He offers little really. I <3 Ayoze though. Proper effort

Perez has been our best player by a mile in the 10 mins he has been on. Actually looks to be able to take on and pass a player and actually make a. Somewhat difficult pass

M5 wrote: »
    Perez has been our best player by a mile in the 10 mins he has been on. Actually looks to be able to take on and pass a player and actually make a. Somewhat difficult pass

He makes tackles too. He is endlessly tracking back to cover **** defending and then is alway out of position going forward because of it. In a real side he'd have 15/20 goals a season

He makes tackles too. He is endlessly tracking back to cover **** defending and then is alway out of position going forward because of it. In a real side he'd have 15/20 goals a season

No matter how **** we play he always looks decent... Thauvin, winaldum sissoko need to take a long look at themselves

Here cones the third goalscorer

Rubbish. Nufc making average players and teams look class for years

They won't have an easier 3 points all season.

How many times have I said that about this ****ing team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That was horrible. Janmaat can take a bit of credit for showing a bit of heart. Awful defending though.

5 games in without a win and 2 goals scored is not pretty reading. Watford at home is now a pretty big game and I won't be surprised if there's a few murmurs of discontent if we can't come up with a victory.

Saipanne wrote: »

Thought you'd be a bit more concerned with both of your teams in Palace and Sunderland losing no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Watching that as a neutral, it was impossible to see where a Newcastle goal was coming from. Shame for those Newcastle fans there tonight. That's a long haul on a monday night, only to be served up such a "nothing" performance.

5 Live reporting that McClaren had to force players over to clap the away fans. Had to grab Sissoko from walking down the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I dunno lads. We just have no vibrancy or spark. Even compared to west ham. They are no world beaters but they have a bit of pace and power and movement going forward.

I don't know how we even try to play. We can't play down the wings to get crosses into the box because we only have cisse in there. We can't play intricate football up to him because he hasn't got the touch. Wer not going to open teams up and pass through them when we have Anita and colback in the middle.

And all the while we defend terribly. That second goal was criminal. I know Moses is fast but no way should haidara not read that ball and be over on the cover quicker. I dunno lads, long season ahead again. Hopefully mitrovic can stay on the pitch and give us something to hit at least.

Ayoze deserves credit and maybe janmaat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

That_Guy wrote: »
    5 Live reporting that McClaren had to force players over to clap the away fans. Had to grab Sissoko from walking down the tunnel.

That is shocking.

I lost all respect for Moussa last season. I would happily sell him.

He's an absolute coward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I wouldn't be throwing the baby out with the bath water just yet. Not much could have been done about the two goals, had the lion's share of possession against a side that played Arsenal and Liverpool off the park, couldn't fault the effort overall. Plenty of positives there despite the usual negatives of Coloccini's usual lackadaisical self and Cisse with the finesse of an oil tanker.

I wouldn't be throwing the baby out with the bath water just yet. Not much could have been done about the two goals, had the lion's share of possession against a side that played Arsenal and Liverpool off the park, couldn't fault the effort overall. Plenty of positives there despite the usual negatives of Coloccini's usual lackadaisical self and Cisse with the finesse of an oil tanker.
    The problem is, you're struggling to score goals. Which isn't a good sign. I'm sure you'll be safe (there has to be three worse sides in the PL than Newcastle, surely?), but it could be a long season for you guys.

I disagree somewhat. The first goal could have been avoided if Anita hadn't been sucked into the ball leaving Payet exposed completely.

Second goal was a calamitous bit of defending from nearly everybody.

We had more of the possession but look where we were playing it. Around the back with zero forward momentum. Frustrating stuff.

I don't think there are any positives from this game other than Perez and De Jong who created more than the rest of that sorry outfit.

We need to ditch two holding midfielders next week.

I'd go with:
    Krul

Janmaat --- Mbemba --- Colo --- Haidara

Colback

Thauvin --- Wijnaldum --- Aarons

De Jong

Perez

I had a whole rant typed out but I can't be bothered with them.

Absolute wastes of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I'm sooo glad I dont have the sports channels ... and that in this instance I was too lazy to go look for a live stream ...

Looks like I didnt shorten my life expectancy through anxiety or stress tonight :P

Instead I had a few chocolate digestives .... at least they dont dissapoint

Why didn't we go out at the start of the season and buy the players then? Surely the kinks would the be ironed out before the season started? We don't know our best team judging by tonight's selection. That is criminal with an almost full strength squad at the beginning of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I disagree somewhat. The first goal could have been avoided if Anita hadn't been sucked into the ball leaving Payet exposed completely.

Second goal was a calamitous bit of defending from nearly everybody.

We had more of the possession but look where we were playing it. Around the back with zero forward momentum. Frustrating stuff.

I don't think there are any positives from this game other than Perez and De Jong who created more than the rest of that sorry outfit.

We need to ditch two holding midfielders next week.

I'd go with:
    Krul

Janmaat --- Mbemba --- Colo --- Haidara

Colback

Thauvin --- Wijnaldum --- Aarons

De Jong

Perez
    Aye fair enough but you're maybe being a bit too critical, Anita lost his man once and he scored, a clearing header found its way to Moses inch perfect and he was away. I think the first goal came after a Thauvin corner didn't it, so maybe we can blame him for both, but I think if we're going to be going that hard on the players we may forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Why is Colback playing and if we are going to play one sitting midfielder why isn't it Tiote.. Fair enough he hasn't been as effective in recent times but he is still our best.. Colback was absolutely F**king dreadful and this is coming from a fella who was happy to see him join the squad initially.. Haidara has to go once dummett comes back.. and yeah de jong has to come in with Perez.. As foe Wjinaldum can someone tell me what type of player he is for us cause I haven't a clue he runs around but I dunno what he is. He doesn't put his foot on it or play a pass.. Time for De Jong now to stop breaking nails and give us a run of games.

Hopefully Steed isn't like his predecessors after a loss practically the same team out the next week.. Used to make my blood boil with pardew get a beating like last night and zero changes the next day 'to give 'em a chaaaance to redeem themselves.

Saw this in the humour thread, quality stuff.
    11998923_517493861742532_4632345503419249234_n.png?oh=bbaf7f51acac707079188c8d59ab7c23&oe=56A13DFC

Nufc have won 15 games in 2014 and 2015 combined! Less than 1 win every 4 weeks

So what should we do do arrest the latest slide?

Sissoko needs dropped anywayanyway. He has been disgraceful for too long. We probably should have sold him in the summer as he checked out months ago. That's what you get when you seel a club as a stepping stone and then expect the player to stay.

Cisse has also had his time. Waste of s shirt!

Anita for me is not doing it. Despite 1 decent game he also has been useless. A defensive mid with 2 tackles in 5 games?

Haidara and Colback have also contributed nothing.

Perez and de jong have to start against Watford. Aarons can't be much worse than sissoko either!

It's funny listening to commentators calling the Newcastle games. They always praise Sissoko and say how great he is.

Just shows that they don't watch us week in and week out. He has been poor for ages. I don't think he is helped by sticking him out on the right wing. He's not a bloody winger.

Colback has been non existent. Anita is trying but failing. I know he has his faults but I'd like to see Tiote make a return.

Perez has to start up top with De Jong in behind. I think those two could be an excellent partnership. If he sticks the former out on the wing, I will despair.

The most important thing is that changes have to be made. Carver/Pardew never made the big changes when we were on a torrid run. This has to change and big decisions have to be made sooner rather than later.

It's funny listening to commentators calling the Newcastle games. They always praise Sissoko and say how great he is.

Just shows that they don't watch us week in and week out. He has been poor for ages. I don't think he is helped by sticking him out on the right wing. He's not a bloody winger.

Colback has been non existent. Anita is trying but failing. I know he has his faults but I'd like to see Tiote make a return.

Perez has to start up top with De Jong in behind. I think those two could be an excellent partnership. If he sticks the former out on the wing, I will despair.

The most important thing is that changes have to be made. Carver/Pardew never made the big changes when we were on a torrid run. This has to change and big decisions have to be made sooner rather than later.

I wonder if the expectation is to play the big names at board level? Seems.odd that some seem undroppable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I reckon we need to go as follows against watford

Krul

- Janmaat - Mbemba - Colo - Colback -

Anita
    Sissoko

-- Thauvin ---- Wijnaldum ---- Aarons --

Perez

I think dropping Sissko back to MC might suit him better, AMR just doesnt suit him.
    Beside him I have to go with anita ... you couldnt have Tiote twirling on the ball and loosing it every 5 mins.

Aarons needs to get a chance, Colback is a better option at DL in my opinion,

Thauvin and Wijnaldum will be perform better when they have some one working for every ball ahead of them ...that isnt Cisse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Sissoko should be dropped, he has a big ego and i have no idea why, the guy has only performed for us on a few occasions. Drop him for a few games and maybe he will improve if he thinks his chances of getting on the french squad for the euros are at risk.
    play wijnaldum on the wing with thauvin, and dejong in the middle behind perez,
    colback/haidara at lb and get tiote in the middle with anita.
    I agree that tiote can be dangerous with the ball at his feet but with anita beside him he shouldnt be too bad.
    If we can get 3 points, a few goals and a comfortable win on saturday before the cup game and ya never know could be the springboard we need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

I wouldn't drop Sissoko just play him in a different position. We are depending on him too much to take the ball from our box and run the pitch and score or cross. Colback and Anita are having bad spells. I have no idea what Wijnaldum brings to the team but he doesn't belong in that position. I think De Jong can be good to hold up the ball and bring others into the game but he has no pace. This is what I would like to see at Watford but you know its never gonna happen as he will not drop Anita and especially Colback.
    I think with De Jongs holding up and release play he could potential unlock a defense with that telling pass to either Aarons, Thauvin or Perez who all have pace. Pipe dreams though.............

Krul

- Janmaat - Mbemba - Colo - Haidara -

Wijnaldum
    Sissoko

-- Thauvin
    Perez ---- Aarons --

De Jong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Whatever Team we go with we have to start with Aarons and Perez

We badly need players to take a player on and open game up

Uh, not a big Aarons fan myself. He does try though. It's all about Perez. That guy is the future. Maybe we should play ballsy 5-3-2 with three centre backs?!

• Advertisement

Sissoko shouldn't be in the team at all for me, hate his attitude, his head seems to be somewhere else.

Here's how I'd line the team up for Watford: (it's a bit experimental, but risks need to be taken at this stage)
    Krul
    Mbemba
    Colo
    Haidara
    Janmaat
    Anita
    Colback
    Thauvin
    Wijnaldum
    Ayoze
    Cisse

Yeah it is a system that will take time to adjust to, but I think wing-backs and three at the back is a good system for the squad that's there. Thauvin doesn't like to track back so Colback would need to slot in there at times, but he's well able for it. Haidara is the one that might surprise ye, but from what I've seen of him he should be developed as a centre half, he has the strength to play there and he'd be a good option to bring the ball out of defence.

Cisse only plays well in a 2-up-top, and Ayoze is just class, and the service from Janmaat's crosses and Wijnaldum's through balls and runs through the middle would suit them and create a bit of panic in opposition defences. Janmaat shouldn't be in a back four, but his skillset is ideal for a wingback though.

I've given a fair bit of thought to this system, and I just feel there's a decent balance to it, with Colback and Janmaat able to drop back into full back roles when needed to add extra bodies in there, with the defending being as bad as it is now, something has to be changed IMO. Not likely to ever see it happen as McClaren teams are rigid to 4 at the back usually, but it's something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I put up here at the time but I'm actually off to Newcastle-Watford tomorrow (as an away fan) and just wondering if you know what the best pubs are for away fans, or is there a designated away fan pub? I have a Watford scarf that I want to bring, but would it lead to me not getting in to some places?

I'd say best of luck, but I hope you lose :pac:

In all seriousness though, it's a massive game for Newcastle, even this early in the season. I'm confident we can get at least a draw, but if we were to win, McClaren would be under massive pressure, very early on.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I put up here at the time but I'm actually off to Newcastle-Watford tomorrow (as an away fan) and just wondering if you know what the best pubs are for away fans, or is there a designated away fan pub? I have a Watford scarf that I want to bring, but would it lead to me not getting in to some places?

I'd say best of luck, but I hope you lose :pac:

In all seriousness though, it's a massive game for Newcastle, even this early in the season. I'm confident we can get at least a draw, but if we were to win, McClaren would be under massive pressure, very early on.

Not sure if there is an "away fans pub". As a "watford fan" you'll not have any hassle anyway. Sunderland about the only game where there is bother win or lose

I'm just sitting here laughing. We're going down lads.

This is the absolute drizzling ****s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

New players, new manager, same ****e

They look like Real Madrid against us.

Something is fundamentally broken at this club.

2 nil already, yep, gone unless there are drastic changes

What is really puzzling is why with a new manager, coaches and several signings are we employing the same tactics and playing essentially the same team?

What the hell is going on with you lot? Did I see something yesterday (or this morning) on sky that you've only won 1 out of your last 16 league games? Baffling, as you have far better players than that would imply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement