Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

It took until 18th October last year to register a win, changes were made over the summer when Ashley stepped back and the new board was set up, changes take time last night is a disgrace but let's not go over the top just yet,
    How anyone expected us to be some superstar team after last season has their head stuck right up their arse! What ya want mcclaren out? Ok who do you want in?
    We can't expect anyone better with the current situation in the club!
    Back mcclaren and give him and the new team a chance, everything needs turned around and that was never gonna happen overnight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

cadete wrote: »
    It took until 18th October last year to register a win, changes were made over the summer when Ashley stepped back and the new board was set up, changes take time last night is a disgrace but let's not go over the top just yet,
    How anyone expected us to be some superstar team after last season has their head stuck right up their arse! What ya want mcclaren out? Ok who do you want in?
    We can't expect anyone better with the current situation in the club!
    Back mcclaren and give him and the new team a chance, everything needs turned around and that was never gonna happen overnight!

Sorry but this is total bull****.

A superstar team is not required to beat Watford at home. A superstar team is not required to go to places like Swansea and West Ham and at least TRY.

A superstar team is not required to not be outplayed at home by Sheffield Wednesday reserves! 85 mins before a shot on a goal!

I don't know what the solution is but McClaren isn't the answer. Charnley, Carr, the players there is a lot of blame to go around.

You need to take your head out of your arse as we are getting relegated if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

A team with absolutely no heart or connection to the jersey they are wearing. Total mercenaries. But what do we expect when we go trawling for foreign players and give them wages nobody else will??

When's the last time we bought a proven premier league British or Irish player?? As stated above, say what you like about Barton and Nolan but at least they had balls and passion. This team is an embarrassment.

Pull it down and rebuild it with a British/Irish spine who want to play. Id settle for a limited team of fighters at the minute than these overpaid cowards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

tastyt wrote: »
    A team with absolutely no heart or connection to the jersey they are wearing. Total mercenaries. But what do we expect when we go trawling for foreign players and give them wages nobody else will??

When's the last time we bought a proven premier league British or Irish player?? As stated above, say what you like about Barton and Nolan but at least they had balls and passion. This team is an embarrassment.

Pull it down and rebuild it with a British/Irish spine who want to play. Id settle for a limited team of fighters at the minute than these overpaid cowards

That's it, really. If Newcastle had the ROI first XI right now you'd be better off. The way the club is run is a joke, unfortunately.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Sorry but this is total bull****.

A superstar team is not required to beat Watford at home. A superstar team is not required to go to places like Swansea and West Ham and at least TRY.

A superstar team is not required to not be outplayed at home by Sheffield Wednesday reserves! 85 mins before a shot on a goal!

I don't know what the solution is but McClaren isn't the answer. Charnley, Carr, the players there is a lot of blame to go around.

You need to take your head out of your arse as we are getting relegated if this continues.
    So what's the answer?? Sack everyone?
    I think your expecting too much too soon, spend 50 million and everything is immediately solved? Not how it works, it will take time and we have had possibly the hardest start to a season in a long long time, Swansea are a good side certainly better than us, and West Ham are flying!
    People suggesting Joey Barton? Really? The same guy who got sent off and one of the many reasons we were relegated??? How many spineless English and Irish players were in that squad?
    Can we stay up possibly not but if/when we go down I certainly won't be blaming Steve mcclaren for it

So what's the answer?? Sack everyone?
    I think your expecting too much too soon, spend 50 million and everything is immediately solved? Not how it works, it will take time and we have had possibly the hardest start to a season in a long long time, Swansea are a good side certainly better than us, and West Ham are flying!
    People suggesting Joey Barton? Really? The same guy who got sent off and one of the many reasons we were relegated??? How many spineless English and Irish players were in that squad?
    Can we stay up possibly not but if/when we go down I certainly won't be blaming Steve mcclaren for it

I don't know the answer. I said that. If it was that easy we wouldn't have a broken, fractured club. What is clear is Charnley is utterly incompotent and unfit for purpose. Carr too.

This "expecting too much" argument is total dross. It's too much to expect us to beat Watford and Sheff Wednesday at home? Really?

Oh and just to add, McClaren isn't up to the job. He's had an entire pre season and he has no idea what he's doing. Sissoko out of position. Continuing to play a sack of ****e like Cisse. Snubbing Perez, refusing to drop Sissoko. He played SdJ as a Number.9 last night! He worked in Holland for years and he doesn't know where SdJ is supposed to play!

The reality is he has been sacked by a Championship club. I never wanted him as it's clear he wouldn't be up to it. I don't expect us to win every game 5-0 but I expect some signs of progression. I don't have a clue what the team is supposed to be doing, what our shape is, what our style of play is, or even our formation. You'd think a professional football manager would have these things at least worked on in 5 months.

We still concede the kind of goals we conceded under Pardew. Our set pieces are still woeful. We still concede early goals. I can go on and on. McClaren may not be to blame for these things but it's clear he's incapable of fixing them.

I don't know the answer. I said that. If it was that easy we wouldn't have a broken, fractured club. What is clear is Charnley is utterly incompotent and unfit for purpose. Carr too.

This "expecting too much" argument is total dross. It's too much to expect us to beat Watford and Sheff Wednesday at home? Really?

Oh and just to add, McClaren isn't up to the job. He's had an entire pre season and he has no idea what he's doing. Sissoko out of position. Continuing to play a sack of ****e like Cisse. Snubbing Perez, refusing to drop Sissoko. He played SdJ as a Number.9 last night! He worked in Holland for years and he doesn't know where SdJ is supposed to play!
    Why is expecting too much arguement total dross? weve played 6 league games 4 have been against top 8 teams last year! you do realise weve been knocked out almost every year by lower league opposition?
    I agree totally cisse is ****e and sissoko is useless. Do you think that maybe dejong was played because he needs minutes and possibly to protect perez? Is perez fully fit? is e carrying a problem? can you imagine the backlash if we lost him to a stupid injury against sheffield wednesday in a bloody cup game?
    The reality is he has been sacked by a Championship club. I never wanted him as it's clear he wouldn't be up to it. I don't expect us to win every game 5-0 but I expect some signs of progression. I don't have a clue what the team is supposed to be doing, what our shape is, what our style of play is, or even our formation. You'd think a professional football manager would have these things at least worked on in 5 months.
    you didnt want mcclaren? who did you want??? nobody would come cant you see that?
    Who should we have beat this season so far? watford? are we better than any side other than watford we played this year in the league?
    I've already said last night was a disgrace that is without doubt but everyone wanted pardew out hes gone, this is our lot, give the man a bloody chance.
    hes been at the club 5 months? wrong! hes had these players since they returned in july thats 3 months maximum,
    We still concede the kind of goals we conceded under Pardew. Our set pieces are still woeful. We still concede early goals. I can go on and on. McClaren may not be to blame for these things but it's clear he's incapable of fixing them.
    he may be incapable of fixing anything but i can tell you one thing it was always gonna take longer than 6 games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

To be fair, I agree with aspects of all comments on here.

Moneymaker - I think you're overlooking the fact that Watford aren't a bad side at all, in fact they're pretty decent and I'd be surprised if they don't stay up. But that said, there's absolutely no reason why we should be making them look like Barcelona. They played good football against us, but yer right - beating Watford at home shouldn't be impossible, regardless of how they are.

Secondly, I agree with cadete to an extent. A grand overhaul is needed at this club, but things will take time to gel. New manager, new staff, new players etc. It will take time. And we have had a pretty tough start as far as starts go. These are facts.

That said, losing against Wednesday last night was pitiful. Absolutely pitiful. Inexcusable, even.

I've been saying it for months for anyone that'd listen to me, and I'll repeat it again: Moussa Sissoko needs to be shipped out of this club ASAP. He is a disease. A coward, a spinless príck that doesn't care less about the club.

Coloccini - McClaren showed his first signs of poor mental strength by keeping another coward such as Fabricio. He should have shipped out, off the wage bill, back to South America with him. Replace him with a good centre back and begin anew at the back. That didn't happen, and when the likes of Sissoko, Tiote, Cisse see that Colo is being kept on, then what do they care? That shouts security to them fellas.

FWIW: I don't think Cisse is the worst of them. And the club are rightly getting what they deserve when it comes to Papiss. They've tried shipping him out for the past two seasons, then all of a sudden rely on him to keep us in the Premier League. Make no mistake, it's because of Cisse that we are in the top-flight of the Premier League.
    The way the club to'd and fro'd with him, despite his excellent scoring record, well it's all coming home to roost for Charnley and the board. And rightly so.

As like many others, I was disappointed with McClaren. It was another lazy appointment. Devoid of any ambition, let's be honest. That doesn't meant I'm not willing to give him a chance.

The man is trying to do everything in his power to end this slump, but so far, he's shown himself to be nothing more than a Championship standard gaffer when it's come to tactical nous. For me, though, this is down to the players mainly. They couldn't give a fúck. It this was FM, I'd be issuing fines left right and centre, and not just for the last night, but for the previous month!

And again, FWIW -- blaming Ashley for last night is ridiculous. Overall, then yes.

Why is expecting too much arguement total dross? weve played 6 league games 4 have been against top 8 teams last year! you do realise weve been knocked out almost every year by lower league opposition?
    I agree totally cisse is ****e and sissoko is useless. Do you think that maybe dejong was played because he needs minutes and possibly to protect perez? Is perez fully fit? is e carrying a problem? can you imagine the backlash if we lost him to a stupid injury against sheffield wednesday in a bloody cup game?

I'll say it again, Watford and Sheffield Wednesday. Watford looked like bloody Real Madrid, they tore us apart at times. Bad enough.

Then Sheffield Wednesday, a Championship side at home, who rested 10 players, play us off the bloody pitch! And we were supoosed to be going all out to win this cup!

Of course De Jong needs minutes. But he's not a main striker, anyone can tell you that. So why does the man who worked in Holland, who actually singled out De Jong as a great player, play him there?
    you didnt want mcclaren? who did you want??? nobody would come cant you see that?

I wanted the best man for the job, I wanted us to be ambitious. Why not TRY and get someone like Klopp? Like Tuchel, like Gary Monk, at least TRY. Nope, hire a man fired by a Championship team after he led them to a run of form every bit as bad as Carver and Pardew at his worst.
    Who should we have beat this season so far? watford? are we better than any side other than watford we played this year in the league?
    I've already said last night was a disgrace that is without doubt but everyone wanted pardew out hes gone, this is our lot, give the man a bloody chance.
    hes been at the club 5 months? wrong! hes had these players since they returned in july thats 3 months maximum,

I don't expect us to beat a lot of these teams. What I do expect, what every fan should expect is a semblance of effort and fight. Organisation, be at least difficult to beat. McClaren has had 4 months(not 5 big deal) to work with the players, watch tapes, sit down with staff and players and figure out how he wants them to play. To work on defensive shape, set pieces. These are the bare basics of coaching at this level of football.

he may be incapable of fixing anything but i can tell you one thing it was always gonna take longer than 6 games!

Do you see anything changing? Do you see any signs of progression? Do you see players that will fight for the club and the shirt. They just down tools everytime. McClaren isn't the problem, not at all. But he damn sure isn't the man to fix it. He looks a beaten man already. He looks like Moyes at Man Utd, he was totally defeated by the job as soon as he got in the door almost.

The reality is I don't know how deep the problems go, I don't know what we can do about it. All I know is we are on a course to oblivion and I don't see anyone at the club capable of turning things around.

I'll say it again, Watford and Sheffield Wednesday. Watford looked like bloody Real Madrid, they tore us apart at times. Bad enough.

Then Sheffield Wednesday, a Championship side at home, who rested 10 players, play us off the bloody pitch! And we were supoosed to be going all out to win this cup!

Of course De Jong needs minutes. But he's not a main striker, anyone can tell you that. So why does the man who worked in Holland, who actually singled out De Jong as a great player, play him there?

I wanted the best man for the job, I wanted us to be ambitious. Why not TRY and get someone like Klopp? Like Tuchel, like Gary Monk, at least TRY. Nope, hire a man fired by a Championship team after he led them to a run of form every bit as bad as Carver and Pardew at his worst.

I don't expect us to beat a lot of these teams. What I do expect, what every fan should expect is a semblance of effort and fight. Organisation, be at least difficult to beat. McClaren has had 4 months(not 5 big deal) to work with the players, watch tapes, sit down with staff and players and figure out how he wants them to play. To work on defensive shape, set pieces. These are the bare basics of coaching at this level of football.

Do you see anything changing? Do you see any signs of progression? Do you see players that will fight for the club and the shirt. They just down tools everytime. McClaren isn't the problem, not at all. But he damn sure isn't the man to fix it. He looks a beaten man already. He looks like Moyes at Man Utd, he was totally defeated by the job as soon as he got in the door almost.

The reality is I don't know how deep the problems go, I don't know what we can do about it. All I know is we are on a course to oblivion and I don't see anyone at the club capable of turning things around.
    Dejong was possibly played there to give him time on the pitch it was probably either him or Perez and he needed minutes as I already said is that not a good enough reason?

If you thought we would be able to bring in klopp deboer or any manager of such stature your on a different planet to the rest of us, not a hope in hell would anyone work under the conditions offered at nufc,
    Mcclaren has had these players 12 weeks 3 months
    Do I see signs of progression? Hard to tell as we have only played 6 games ask me again at Xmas when the man has had an opportunity do do something!
    We're on the way to oblivion so sack the manager after 6 games! Ridiculous

• Advertisement

Why is it delusional? We're on the of the wealthiest and most well supported clubs in Europe. Leicester can attract Ranieri, Southampton can attract Koeman. Why the heck can't we bring in a top calibre manager? Why didn't we even try?

Grand so, we'll agree to disagree. Come Christmas time and we're completely ****ed you'll see I was right. Not that I want to be, but that's simply the reality of the situation. If we sit around and do nothing it's only going to get worse.

This isn't a problem that came overnight. Really, the seeds for this were planted the summer after we finished 5th. We had a fantastic opportunity. Heavy investment during that summer was required, we should have struck while the iron was hot.

We've needed centre backs for years, we finally sign one and it's too little, too late, Mbemba looks decent but it does us no good when he's surrounded by ****e like Coloccni and Williamson. We've needed strong, dominant midfielders for years, Sissoko isn't up the job, we've needed strikers.

McClaren had to root out the likes of Sissoko, Gouffran, Cisse and Coloccni in the summer. He came in to a broken dressing room. But the lack of investment means there's too much to do in a single transfer window. It's simply not possible to ship everyone out in one window and replace them all. He had to strip Coloccni and get rid of him. The man couldn't lead a parade. He had to make his own stamp on the team, but nope, gives him a new contract and he remains captain. Status quo remains and nothing changes. Look at McClarens body language. He's not enjoying the job, he's feeling the pressure and he's buckling and he's barely even in the door. I've supported this club for nearly 25 years and i've followed football a long time, I know when a manager is ****ed, i've seen it before.

You can say "ah it's only 6 games it will get better" all you want. It simply won't. All the bad seeds that have been planted, the lack of investment, dressing room problems are coming to bite us now.

Why is it delusional? We're on the of the wealthiest and most well supported clubs in Europe. Leicester can attract Ranieri, Southampton can attract Koeman. Why the heck can't we bring in a top calibre manager? Why didn't we even try?

Grand so, we'll agree to disagree. Come Christmas time and we're completely ****ed you'll see I was right. Not that I want to be, but that's simply the reality of the situation. If we sit around and do nothing it's only going to get worse.

This isn't a problem that came overnight. Really, the seeds for this were planted the summer after we finished 5th. We had a fantastic opportunity. Heavy investment during that summer was required, we should have struck while the iron was hot.

We've needed centre backs for years, we finally sign one and it's too little, too late, Mbemba looks decent but it does us no good when he's surrounded by ****e like Coloccni and Williamson. We've needed strong, dominant midfielders for years, Sissoko isn't up the job, we've needed strikers.

McClaren had to root out the likes of Sissoko, Gouffran, Cisse and Coloccni in the summer. He came in to a broken dressing room. But the lack of investment means there's too much to do in a single transfer window. It's simply not possible to ship everyone out in one window and replace them all. He had to strip Coloccni and get rid of him. The man couldn't lead a parade. He had to make his own stamp on the team, but nope, gives him a new contract and he remains captain. Status quo remains and nothing changes. Look at McClarens body language. He's not enjoying the job, he's feeling the pressure and he's buckling and he's barely even in the door. I've supported this club for nearly 25 years and i've followed football a long time, I know when a manager is ****ed, i've seen it before.

You can say "ah it's only 6 games it will get better" all you want. It simply won't. All the bad seeds that have been planted, the lack of investment, dressing room problems are coming to bite us now.
    So in a nutshell your saying sack mcclaren?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Saipanne wrote: »
    Now you see it.

No one said Ashley and the club in general were a problem. Pardew was a problem also. Just because you replace an manager and things don't improve does not mean the previous manager was a great lad

M5 wrote: »
    No one said Ashley and the club in general were a problem. Pardew was a problem also. Just because you replace an manager and things don't improve does not mean the previous manager was a great lad, even though he has gone on to perform well at another club despite my predictions that he would get them relegated...

I fixed that up for ya.

I still maintain Ashley was and remains the problem. The only time he really backed Pardew in the transfer market ye finished fifth. Maybe it was a fluke, but that's how I see it.

Fwiw, I think ye will turn it around. I think Mitrovic will come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I fixed that up for ya.

I still maintain Ashley was and remains the problem. The only time he really backed Pardew in the transfer market ye finished fifth. Maybe it was a fluke, but that's how I see it.

Fwiw, I think ye will turn it around.

Does not matter if he wins the champions league, that won't change the fact he was rubbish at Newcastle... IIwatched baffling decision after baffling decision!

I hope so man, it's horrible atm. What puzzles me is how we turned what looked like good signings into donkeys in about 2 weeks

M5 wrote: »
    Does not matter if he wins the champions league, that won't change the fact he was rubbish at Newcastle... IIwatched baffling decision after baffling decision!

I hope so man, it's horrible atm. What puzzles me is how we turned what looked like good signings into donkeys in about 2 weeks

They need time to gel and understand what McLaren wants. Ye have a potentially great front line in Mitrovic, Perez, Thauvin and Windjalum. The midfield is OK, not great. The defence is crap, that's where investment is needed. But if he can make the front line click, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

They need time to gel and understand what McLaren wants. Ye have a potentially great front line in Mitrovic, Perez, Thauvin and Windjalum. The midfield is OK, not great. The defence is crap, that's where investment is needed. But if he can make the front line click, you'll be grand.

I don't think even McClaren knows what he wants. His post match interviews make me even more confused.

"The players have got character but they need to show it.... It's a tougher job than we thought... It's becoming close to a crisis"

These are not the type of things I want to hear as a fan. I want him to cut the BS and tell us exactly what went wrong, why it went wrong and what he's doing to turn it around.

It's a tough job? You'd swear he's been oblivious as to the goings on at Newcastle over the last 8 bloody years under Ashley.

It's not solely McClaren's fault. The players are awful. I think this whole "stepping stone club" mentality is killing us and when players like Sissoko, Colo, Cisse et al don't get their big money move away they just throw in the towel and don't give a fúck. He's not completely blameless. His tactics, system, style of play etc is hard to fathom.

Whatever about previous managers, he has to break them out of the negative dross Pardew and Carver had them playing.

It's time for Ashley to start treating Newcastle United as a football club and not a business. I'm not asking him to splash billions at it. I just want him to stop asset stripping and give us a chance to progress players over many years and build something more than a revolving door shop.

Charnley needs to go. He's in charge of the football side of things and he has been unfit for purpose for a long long time. Surround the club with football people and let them run it. Ashley can crunch the numbers at the top end but we need people with a background in running a football club not an imbecile who is robbing a living.

Ashley's interview on Sky at the last game of the season said "from now on we make our own luck".

As of yet, we've not imposed ourselves on one game. Created nothing and been running around like headless chickens. It's the same things over and over again and I'm sick of coming on here after every game basically copying and pasting the same things over and over again.

Also just saw this letter from Charnley to the fans in a "please don't boo us and get behind the team" plea doing the rounds early doors.
    Lee Charnley
    We are taking collective action

We made a pledge to communicate more effectively with you and when we did so, we were aware this must be the case through thick and thin, in the bad times as well as the good. That is why it is important I write to you now, when things are tough and many of you will be feeling frustrated with recent results.

You deserve to know what we are thinking and what we are doing to address our current situation, to arrest this poor run of form and turn things around for our club.

There is no hiding from the fact that this has been a very disappointing start to our Premier League campaign, and a painful early exit from a cup competition that we were determined to give everything in this year. We apologise to you for this.

After six league games the truth is we have not achieved the points that any of us had hoped and expected we would do.

None of us can, or will, shirk the responsibility for this situation. Now is the time for collective action, and for us to find solutions to the problems rather than allow ourselves to be consumed by them.

It is important to state that we bear collective responsibility for our position in the table. Identifying the problems in order to find the solutions is crucial, but we are not in the business of apportioning blame. We are a team, from the boardroom to the boot room, and we will respond like one.

So we have sat down as a collective - myself with Steve and his coaching team, and Steve with his players - to discuss the concerns and to look for the solutions together.

Whilst we are all unhappy, we must not panic or make rash decisions. We should not forget we are still relatively early into the season with lots of games to go and points to play for. Whilst you may be tired of hearing this, I believe, as we have said from the start, all of this rebuilding and reshaping isn't something that can happen overnight; it will take time to see the benefit of the changes we made during the summer.

I will repeat what I have said on a number of occasions before - I have complete faith that what Steve and his team are implementing will give us the best possible chance of success as a club.

We firmly believe there is the quality we need within this group of players, however we all know that what has to improve are the results, which will then breed belief and confidence. As you would expect, Steve and his staff are working very hard both collectively and individually to reproduce and improve on all the qualities we saw in the performances against Southampton, Manchester United and Arsenal.

We recognise that you will be frustrated and of course, as people who invest heavily - financially and emotionally - in this club, you have the right to express your dissatisfaction at the results, as you have done on recent matchdays. We deserved that criticism and reaction. But you can also play a huge part in helping the players to fight their way out of our current predicament.

We regularly talk about the importance of confidence and the momentum that a single victory can bear in turning around the fortunes of a team. To turn things around our players need to be brave - brave on the ball, demand the ball, and attack with courage and conviction, without fear. I hope those of you attending on Saturday, and at future games, home or away, will really get behind the team and help give them the confidence to play and express themselves the way we know they can.

We don't have the time nor the inclination to feel sorry for ourselves. That would not serve us well. We are all in this together and we will get out of it together as a team. We view you, our supporters, as an important part of that team. Now is the time to show determination, resilience and fight and together, over the coming weeks, change the course of this season for the better.

Thank you for your support.

Lee Charnley
    Managing Director

McLaren did start poorly at Boro and Twente, if that's any consolation.

• Advertisement

McLaren did start poorly at Boro and Twente, if that's any consolation.

Not really. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Its all good folks, I head to Newcastle tomorrow for the first time in a few years so we are bound to win :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good read this from Gary Neville, relevant considering the recent discussion in this thread:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11891430/The-north-is-being-cut-adrift-in-English-football-and-I-fear-the-damage-may-be-permanent.html

North-east football is well and truly on life support. Hard to see a way back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

where has Mbabu come from? playing quite well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

de jong is crocked after 60 seconds on the field, the water in lucozade bottle to the rescue :p

****ing bottlers.

• Advertisement

Take that all day long, nerves showing last 25 but that will give them a lot of confidence,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Disappointed not to hold out for the win but I'd have bribed the ref for a draw before kick-off, and there was a bit of fight in them at least. It's a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Have to be happy with the result, if not the collapse in the last 15. Ayoze and mitrovic up front will cause any team problems, especially when they get to know eachothers games better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Good result, very good result. This time last year the lads managed to hold on against Chelsea after letting them back in, so there's no doubt the team has regressed since then (as if I even needed to say that), but the signs are good. City is a write-off, and a good result is badly needed against Norwch to give them the confidence heading into the derby.

Mitrovic gave us a focal point and a physical presence and he and Ayoze looked handy together. Hopefully that's the push we need.

Means nothing though if we lose to Norwich however.

• Advertisement

Loved Mitrovic geeing up the crowd throughout the match. He didn't seem to know what was going on when everyone applauded in the 18th minute for Alder and Sweeney, but by God he went with it! :D

Did it a few more times after, he's the type of character the club needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Mitrovic could have been sent off for his role in the celebration of both Newcastle goals! The lad is a bit of a psycho :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Mitrovic could have been sent off for his role in the celebration of both Newcastle goals! The lad is a bit of a psycho :pac:

You mean yanking the hair on your team mates head isnt acceptible? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Question lads ...

Sunderland have made a habit of replacing managers going in to the derby ....

Surely doing it now is too early in the season, waiting til the return game is too late ...

Will they have to plan something different this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Paully D wrote: »
    Good read this from Gary Neville, relevant considering the recent discussion in this thread:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11891430/The-north-is-being-cut-adrift-in-English-football-and-I-fear-the-damage-may-be-permanent.html

North-east football is well and truly on life support. Hard to see a way back now.

its depressing reading especially when you know it's true.

Lads, if we can take that first half performance and bring that energy into the rest of the season, I will be absolutely delighted.

We worked our absolute bollocks off. Ok, it was disappointing to not hold out but this is a huge step in the right direction and resembles a team I adore watching.

Perez and Mitrovic are an excellent looking partnership. As for the former, we have to do everything we can to keep him. He is so so good.

Mbambu was a brave move from McClaren but it has to be applauded. He did very well and playing 4-4-2 is refreshing and we were rewarded.

I'd have taken a point before kick off so I'm not too disappointed. Only concern would be defending set pieces but sure what's new eh?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Lads, if we can take that first half performance and bring that energy into the rest of the season, I will be absolutely delighted.

We worked our absolute bollocks off. Ok, it was disappointing to not hold out but this is a huge step in the right direction and resembles a team I adore watching.

Perez and Mitrovic are an excellent looking partnership. As for the former, we have to do everything we can to keep him. He is so so good.

Mbambu was a brave move from McClaren but it has to be applauded. He did very well and playing 4-4-2 is refreshing and we were rewarded.

I'd have taken a point before kick off so I'm not too disappointed. Only concern would be defending set pieces but sure what's new eh?
    That strike from Ramirez was unreal, he hits that ten more times he probably wouldn't hit the target once never mind score!
    Next week against city will be tough but the form they are in we could Nick something from there too!
    Hopefully transfers are being lined up for January left back, centre back and a holding midfielder should be priority, and would still love to see Austin brought in,

Mitrovic was the key imo. We finally had a focal point and a physical presence. He always seems to win the ball. Takes the pressure off us, when Cisse is up there the ball just comes straight back. 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 just suits us better right now. I'd give Thauvin another chance and drop Sissoko though he was ****e yet again. Ayoze needs to play off Mitrovic every game now.

Mbabu deserves a chance at LB now for the forseeable future imo.

Like I said though this means nothing if its the same ****e as usual against Norwich.

HBA got another two goals tonight. Absolutely on fire.

Thanks Pardew!

Fairly depressing stat to get you in the mood for today's game.
    Newcastle are the only side in the top five divisions (Premier League, Championship, League One, League Two, National League) not to have scored a goal away from home this season.

• Advertisement

Gouffran starts in what looks like a holding role in midfield... Fúcking hell.

It's gonna be hard to watch him get destroyed by Silva in that midfield area.

Anyway, enjoy the game... If you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never in doubt!

:eek:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Wasn't offside either.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Mbabu looks decent for a man out of position.

Should be 2. Still happy so far

Should be ahead! Good first half but poor goal to concede! Sissoko even playing well!!!

Can't really have too many complaints with that first half. We've attacked well on the counter and defended resolutely.

Mitrovic is an absolute monster. His work rate and willingness to get back in and give a dig out is phenomenal. His forward play is excellent and has won nearly everything yet again.

We could have been at least 2-3 up at one stage.

We could do with pushing out 5-10 yards and winning the ball back in midfield because we're being over run a bit at the edge of our own box.

Gouffran has been a bit of a headless chicken and I can see Tiote coming on for him sooner rather than later. He hasn't offered a great deal.

Mbambu looks very promising and hasn't been overawed over these last two games.

Positive signs for sure but we need to start stepping out of defence or we will set a very dangerous precedent for ourselves.

• Advertisement

Bugger x2 x3

Advertisement