Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

Lucky to get the result today, Bournemouth really play good football, a pleasure to watch, our turn to have a keeper having a blinder of a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Win is a win. We were lucky for sure but if we were in a higher position, pundits would be saying that it's the mark of a good team to play badly yet still churn out a win.

Tiote is a waste of a jersey. We only need Anita in there as a holding midfielder. It stifles our forward play a lot. I get the logic in playing the two of them. Away from home at a fellow struggling team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Unlucky against Sunderland and Stoke so I see no wrong getting a bit of luck going our way

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Their corner count scared me. Amazed they didn't score.

Solid 3 points. Colback is important for us, thought we missed him today. He grounds the midfield

Their corner count scared me. Amazed they didn't score.

Solid 3 points. Colback is important for us, thought we missed him today. He grounds the midfield

He can also pick a pass. When we do play 2 holding midfielders, himself and Anita complement each other well I think.

Tiote disrupts that link up play because he's a very brash footballer. He does put himself about but he's forever trying to do too much with the ball, loses possession and then fouls the opposition trying to win it back and picks up bad yellow's.

His performances over the last couple of seasons have been truly dreadful. His stock has fallen massively and isn't good enough for this team anymore.

Not that we've a great deal of back up in truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I don't accept the "good teams win when playing badly" thing in this case. We are not a good team clearly! Another putrid performance. We were just lucky.

Not aiming at you specifically TG, have read similar on twitter etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ben Arfa starting for France tonight.

Just goes to show what an idiot Pardew was to outcast him from the squad, he's been tearing it up for Nice this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

We could really do with a new centre mid and left back in January.

Great to see we have two quality players up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ben Arfa starting for France tonight.

Just goes to show what an idiot Pardew was to outcast him from the squad, he's been tearing it up for Nice this season.

I never thought he suited the PL. He would have been better suited to La Liga, IMO.

• Advertisement

It looks a great side on paper, there's 4 players in the team who could win a match on any given day, but it's rare to see even two players in the whole side turn up on match day. Played well against Sunderland and got nothing out of it, buy played terribly against Bournemouth and got the 3 points.

It is and always will be one of the weirdest teams in the PL. Hope consistency can be found in the coming weeks.

Weird, its saying Martyos made a post, but I cannae see it...

...and now I can. Very odd. The next page wasn't available... :-\

Saipanne wrote: »
    I never thought he suited the PL. He would have been better suited to La Liga, IMO.

He had some excellent games in the PL though and some were against the more physical sides, scored some great goals and looked like a potentially world class player. His attitude didn't help him, but neither did Pardew. He has been nothing short of exceptional for Nice this season, so the talent is clearly there.

He had some excellent games in the PL though and some were against the more physical, scored some great goals and looked like a potentially world class player. His attitude didn't help him, but neither did Pardew. He has been nothing short of exceptional for Nice this season, so the talent is clearly there.

Very talented, yes. Big ego, though, like Pardew. Hence the fall out.

That said, the French league is not on par with the PL, IMO. Big fish in a medium sized pond.

Very talented, yes. Big ego, though, like Pardew. Hence the fall out.

That said, the French league is not on par with the PL, IMO. Big fish in a medium sized pond.

Haven't been keeping up with Ligue 1 this season but I can't imagine the standard of football is any worse than the PL anymore. English football has taken many steps back this year, the champions are closer to a relegation battle, a team threatened with relegation last season is challenging for the top four, and the goals are drying up.

Ligue 1 is still inferior, but the gap isn't what it used to be.

Haven't been keeping up with Ligue 1 this season but I can't imagine the standard of football is any worse than the PL anymore. English football has taken many steps back this year, the champions are closer to a relegation battle, a team threatened with relegation last season is challenging for the top four, and the goals are drying up.

Ligue 1 is still inferior, but the gap isn't what it used to be.

No, its probably the fourth highest standard in Europe, but the gap between fourth and third is measured in hundreds of millions of Euro... unfortunately.

Brainless tactics. Brainless players. Brainless manager. This is on par with the shíte Carver was serving up.

The fact that there's no depth pushing our players, we've too many players who are guaranteed to start and they don't give a flying fúck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its incredible to think McLaren is actually a very good coach. Does he just need time to get his own players in and style imprinted on the team?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Oh Jesus. This is a disgrace. Was happy to see McClaren given time, but it's the same old sh1t.

Its incredible to think McLaren is actually a very good coach. Does he just need time to get his own players in and style imprinted on the team?

How much time does it take? This is the 13th game of the season FFS and it's now November. How much longer does it take?

It's not like he's just come into the team and can't put his own transfer targets into the fold. He's had the whole summer and it's now late November.

• Advertisement

0-3 now...

Talk about pathetic defending. Embarrassing.

I am beginning to lose patience with McLaren. Hopefully he'll have the nuts to say what's really going on when he is under pressure!

The core of the team is rotten. There are literally no players capable of coming into the team to challenge the underperforming players.

Years of underinvestment biting. The year we signed Sissoko and the rest has given the club false hope that you can survive with a January splurge.

Most sickening part is the fact the premier league is gash at the min. A little bit of ambition and you can be Leicester. But then again we can surely never compete with their resources!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

We've fallen into some bad, old habits there today. Very slow build up. Very sloppy passing. No shape to the team. And no ****ing effort to close down and make runs and take it to the opposition.

Some thoughts on some of our highly paid 'superstars':

I didn't think we could do worse than Cabella but we have outdone ourselves with Thauvin. What a lazy, useless, stupid cvnt he is. Nice one Carr/Charnley - another £14m down the ****ter.

Who was that playing in the number 5 shirt, because it wasn't Wijnaldum. Piss poor today.

Anita is ****ing useless. We must be the only team in the league who plays a midget who can't tackle as a defensive midfielder. What the **** do you expect the result to be McLaren? The little ****e doesn't even offer anything going forward so why is he on the pitch?

Don't even get me started on Coloccini. I think my feelings on this shaggy-haired mercenary are clear.

Mitrovic was a disgrace. Zero movement or will to get on the end of things.

Looking back at the goals, McClaren needs to tell him to start making runs towards the right post instead of running away from it.

He is as lazy as Geremi when we brought him in.

I don't think McClaren is the right guy. Yet, I don't know who is tbh. He can ask to be judged at the end of the season all he wants but he wanted fans to wait until 10 games in and quite frankly, it's been absolute shíte.

Moyes is the only one you could possibly see as a new man to come in but even he wouldn't touch us with a barge pole and frankly, I don't blame him.

There's nothing to suggest progress in any shape despite what McClaren or some people might say. 1 step forward and 50 yards backwards yet again.

You look at Southampton, Leicester and Swansea to an extent. All teams who have come up from the Championship who actually progress from season to season. Why are we left behind so much?

I know the answer and it's Ashley. And when you employ a mentality of non-competitiveness through the club... Well, we're reaping the benefits of it now.

I'll bitch and moan about the team but tomorrow, I'll just not give a fúck. Gone beyond caring at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    You look at Southampton, Leicester and Swansea to an extent. All teams who have come up from the Championship who actually progress from season to season. Why are we left behind so much?

I know the answer and it's Ashley. And when you employ a mentality of non-competitiveness through the club... Well, we're reaping the benefits of it now.

To be fair though mate, he has spent ~ £85m in the last 2 seasons.

Southampton have made a significant profit in the same period despite spending big, Swansea have only spent £33m and Leicester have spent around half of the £85m figure. You look at say, Sunderland (£37m), Stoke (£25m), West Brom (£52m), West Ham (£58m), Palace (£47m), Villa (£61m), Everton (£52m).

Newcastle have blown all but the usual suspects and Southampton out of the water in terms of outgoing spending lately.

Paully D wrote: »
    To be fair though mate, he has spent ~ £85m in the last 2 seasons.

Southampton have made a significant profit in the same period despite spending big, Swansea have only spent £33m and Leicester have spent around half of the £85m figure. You look at say, Sunderland (£37m), Stoke (£25m), West Brom (£52m), West Ham (£58m), Palace (£47m), Villa (£61m), Everton (£52m).

Newcastle have blown all but the usual suspects and Southampton out of the water in terms of outgoing spending lately.

Does not make up for years of underinvestment though paully! Also IMHO we went cheap on the manager

M5 wrote: »
    Does not make up for years of underinvestment though paully! Also IMHO we went cheap on the manager

That cheap manager has won more trophies as head coach than Newcastle have in half a century.

That cheap manager has won more trophies as head coach than Newcastle have in half a century.

You are absolutely correct, football has moved on though. Hes very much one of the old guard. His recent form nowhere near the form you speak of, Blowing a massive lead in the championship being his last accomplishment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Manager isnt the problem. Its the squad.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Manager isnt the problem. Its the squad.

Manager, recruitment, past underinvestment, owner all contributory factors as I have stated in the last two pages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It's a mentality, an attitude problem in the squad. It's a lot less to do with quality.

We drew at old Trafford, hammered Norwich and should have beaten Chelsea but for our flaky and weak mentality.

Jaanmat, colocini, mbemba, tiote, colback, Sissoko, wijnaldum, mitrovic, Perez, cisse.

Nobody can tell me that these are players that are relegation candidates but their attitude stinks and they refuse to work and role up their sleeves consistently. I'd blame the manager except it's an attitude that's been at the club a lot longer than him.

I honestly think the club needs to go back to basics. Too many players that are brought in from abroad and unproven in England, too much gambling on cheap imports with no heart. We need a British and Irish spine to stop the rot. If I was McLaren the first thing I'd be looking for is characters, people who won't accept the standards that our players are performing at and will let them know.

Manager, recruitment, past underinvestment, owner all contributory factors as I have stated in the last two pages

In order of importance:

1. Ashley
    2. Transfer policy (buy cheap, young foreign players to make profit, when experienced British players are needed)
    3. Fans blaming everything on the manager first, despite the above (see comments in the thread)
    4. Manager

This is why no high quality manager would go near your club. It's a poison chalice, and has been so for over a decade now. I don't see a way out for ye, until the first three are corrected.

In order of importance:

1. Ashley
    2. Transfer policy (buy cheap, young foreign players to make profit, when experienced British players are needed)
    3. Fans blaming everything on the manager first, despite the above (see comments in the thread)
    4. Manager

This is why no high quality manager would go near your club. It's a poison chalice, and has been so for over a decade now. I don't see a way out for ye, until the first three are corrected.

3 nonsense, read/quote the thread a little less selectively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

3 nonsense, read/quote the thread a little less selectively

the guys an idiot, hasnt a clue and is only baiting ignore his posts,

In fairness squad depth is a major problem, bringing in british/irish players wont help, look at our squad the year we went down full of uk/irish based players, we need to bring in a centre half urgently, as well as a left back, dummett is just shockingly bad, a winger and a defensive midfielder and get charlie austin aswell,

To be honest i would bite the bullet aswell and get moyes, hes proven and can motivate and get the best out of average players

Oh, and you now agree that McLaren is not a hight quality manager? What changed your mind?

• Advertisement

Oh, and you now agree that McLaren is not a hight quality manager? What changed your mind?

give me a link where i said that? he was one of the only people available and he deserved time!

edit: And the idiot i was referring to posted above you if thats not already clear

cadete wrote: »
    give me a link where i said that? he was one of the only people available and he deserved time!

edit: And the idiot i was referring to posted above you if thats not already clear

Was not replying to you dude!

Saipanne lauded McLaren in one post and then said we will not attract a high quality manager about 2 posts after

But I didn't say he was high quality...

Now who is selectively reading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

In order of importance:

1. Ashley
    4. Manager

Point 3 is unfair, and lumping ALL fans of a club in together can leave you open, quite rightly, to accusations of trolling. Think carefully about what you post next time in this thread. Opinions are welcome, antagonistic posts are not. Don't reply to this post in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Does anyone else get sick of the information drip feeding through the media how the squad have had a sit down clear the air chat and training has been different this week and how the players have been told a few home truths..

This happens every second week on the chronicle and nothing changes.. Saturday was the worst I've ever seen though.. All the problems was in midfield absolutely no creativity.. And what a spud Thauvin has turned out to be.. He doesn't really have any pace either..

Need a Centre half who isn't necessarily the best ball player in the world but who will just defend.. need a creative midfielder (not sold on de jong even though he has been injured) I think you have to build a whole team around him and we have to many players who want to play there.. and a striker who will run the channels and in behind.. we play in front of every team..

McClaren initially made all the right noise and I like how he tried to buy into the club with small gestures like clap the fans etc.. But its 12 games in now and I don't really see any improvement and I don't know what style we are trying to play. Its almost as if he has got to the part of the coaching manual where you split your centre backs and have your sitting midfielder come in deep for the ball.. Then after that he is lost.. The fact he used Anita to receive it is even more worrying..

I've yet to work out what type of midfielder wijnaldum is. Cause he doesn't seem to be a sitting midfielder or a creative one.. Is he just a better looking kevin Nolan who I always had the same issue with.. Perez will be probably be gone next year and the big guy up top the composure he showed v Norwich with that finish gave me real hope but since he has been too busy getting involved in side shows..

We wont get relegated but wont do much either.. Palace prob suit us the weekend as we all know from pards they'll want to counter us and you cant counter a team with 10 behind the ball so some damp squid of a game coming.

Wouldn't be to gone on Elliot in goal either.. For a team playing a high line he is unbelievably slow off his line and his distribution is rubbish..

Jeeeess its depressing..

• Advertisement

Sky et al wont damage their product by saying anything overly controversial. Although I think Carragher, Neville and shearer gave called it as it is recently without pointing fingers at the fat controller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Wijnaldum and Sissoko on the flanks works ok but we have appalling options in the middle

I hear we may be playing with Anita and Gouffran in CM at the weekend which is going to be unimaginably sh*t. I'd probably prefer to play Wijnaldum and Sissoko in the two central positions right now, but then we have appalling options in terms of wingers.

Obviously with the two out wide they drift inside and the full backs are meant provide the width in attack, but that really doesn't work at all on the left and it's pretty unfair to ask Dummett who is a centre back to do that. I think we should move Gini into the centre and try Thauvin on the left. I had hoped Aarons would break into the team this season but he's just being really unlucky with injuries. I hope he's not going to go the way of Vuckic because the kid really has the potential to be a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Mitrovic dropped for Cisse. I don't even...

Over/under on how long it takes the Pardew thread to be bumped when we lose today?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Mitrovic dropped for Cisse. I don't even...

Awkward

Felt the same tbh :(

Hah, imagine that.

lovely from janmaat,

Coloccni :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Typical jammy Pardew goal. Some things never change.

Oh god we are so pathetic its beyond words.

I'm out.

palace have the lowest number of goals from open play in the league, 2 in 16 mins against us.... a shambles

• Advertisement
Advertisement