Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm happy he's spending money. FINALLY!!! It could be argued that he is paying for boat load of mistakes he's made over the years but that's another argument for another day.

I said I'd be angry if we spent money on a forward player rather than address a defence that has been lacking in quality for years now.

And guess what... I'm angry.

Scoring is certainly a problem for us but our shambolic defending and the outrageous way in which we concede goals far outweighs anything we've got going on in the other direction.

I wish Townsend well but it's not the area we needed strengthening in.

Window isn't over but I don't think we've been linked with a single defender this January which is deeply worrying.

I Hear you TG, fully agree. Our defense has been the elephant in the room for at least 4 years now. We have conceded 2nd or third most goals in each of those seasons . Its baffling TBH.

That said the fact we clearly need to strengthen in so many positions in order to survive is damning of the idiocy of the last few years. We still need IMO, A striker, at least one CB, at least on LB and come cover at the back. A goalie also needed.

Glad we are spending but it would have been much much cheaper to spread this over the last few years and the club would be on a far more even keel if it was. Hopefully for once the learnings will be garnered from the mistakes

So we lost 6 nil in a behind closed doors friendly with the unwashed. Damming indictment of the fringe players that are supposed to be pushing our first teamers! Another area that needs a complete overhaul.

A friendly, against Sunderland, what were they thinking irrespective of the laughable result?

Williamson is finally off the books. Good pro and a fairly sound bloke by all accounts. Was woefully out of his depth though, amazing he got so many games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Wolves?

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Wolves?

Yep

could badly do with bringing in a defender tho

could badly do with bringing in a defender tho

Or 3...

M5 wrote: »
    Or 3...

deffo, but I'd take 1 tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If Williamson's exit means the introduction of a new defender, I'm all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Last stop this window is a striker, no way we'll bring in a defender. Especially with Saylor back from injury now too.

We're still woefully short of quality at the back though, indeed.

Last stop this window is a striker, no way we'll bring in a defender. Especially with Saylor back from injury now too.

We're still woefully short of quality at the back though, indeed.

Lb on loan close

From ssn
    BREAKING: We understand Newcastle are on the verge of agreeing to take Athletico Madrid left back Guilherme Siqueira on loan til the summer.

Another weak ointment plugged, whatever you think about getting to this situation we certainly look to be buying what we need as opposed to the usual buying what's available cheap.

CB and a striker and I'll genuinely be blown away

I'm already impressed with our dealings so far ... if there is more it would be un-fcuk-ing real!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Over £110m spent this season and last inclusive. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Felipe Luis just sent off for Atletico. I'd imagine that's our deal with Atletico off if it was in place for Siquiera

• Advertisement

fact he was playing wold have me question if there was any merit in that rumour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

fact he was playing wold have me question if there was any merit in that rumour

Why? Siqueira wasn't playing, and Newcastle weren't linked with Luis.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Why? Siqueira wasn't playing, and Newcastle weren't linked with Luis.

Yeah, missed understood

Yeah, missed understood

Filipe Luis wouldn't be a bad signing though in fairness! :D

Still think it's pointless singing any left back when a central defender is what's badly needed. There's a young defender at Werder Bremen called Vestergaard who I think would be a good fit, but more than likely a little expensive. Young, powerful, amazing in the air, could do well beside the pace of Mbemba since he has absolutely none himself, but that's pretty much the only weakness I've seen in him.

I'd rather see him than some overpriced PL defender or an unproven Ligue 1 one.

Apparently Valencia are close to signing Siqueira.

Thauvin heading back to Marseille on-loan - NUFC in talks for Doumbia.
    Gomis also strongly linked today.

Would be raging if we signed Gomis, no time for him at all. He'd get fed up and look for a move abroad within 6 months.

Would like to take a chance on Doumbia. Has all the attributes to score plenty of goals in the Premier League.

If we bring in a LB, and Doumbia it'd be great IMO.

Berahino talk won't go away either, but just can't see that happening.

• Advertisement

Apparently Valencia are close to signing Siqueira.

Thauvin heading back to Marseille on-loan - NUFC in talks for Doumbia.
    Gomis also strongly linked today.

Would be raging if we signed Gomis, no time for him at all. He'd get fed up and look for a move abroad within 6 months.

Would like to take a chance on Doumbia. Has all the attributes to score plenty of goals in the Premier League.

If we bring in a LB, and Doumbia it'd be great IMO.

Berahino talk won't go away either, but just can't see that happening.

Putting a very negative slant on our dealings should we sign Gomis: We will have signed 2 fringe players from a team in freefall and a failed winger from a team that are just pushing for champions league. All 3 have had attitude/behavioural issues in the past also

Is that overly harsh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Putting a very negative slant on our dealings should we sign Gomis: We will have signed 2 fringe players from a team in freefall and a failed winger from a team that are just pushing for champions league. All 3 have had attitude/behavioural issues in the past also

Is that overly harsh?

Berahino falls into that bracket too. Really don't want us splashing 25 million on someone like him just because he's English

25 will get Batshuayi .... much better player tham Berahino

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Really don't want gomis here.
    He chose Swansea last year so leave him there.

Berahino is dear but knows the demands of the. League.

Doumbia should be interesting if he arrives.

Siqueira deeal looks dead to... Dissapointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

From what I've read/heard from Spurs fans, Townsend doesn't really have an attitude problem. There was a supposed row in the dressing room or something to that degree but it was a once off but was escalated to make him look like a bit of maverick even though he's not.

That's according to a friend of mine who would watch/know far more about Spurs than I would.

21 million cash bid for Berahino

Doumbia a done deal too I'm hearing

Doumbia is a great signing. Even better that it's a loan with an option to buy, removes the small risk if he doesn't work out.

No need for Berahino too, unless Ayoze is being sold, and Ayoze should not be sold IMO.

£21m Berahino bid rejected.

• Advertisement

its gonna take 23-25m to get berahino ... no point going in with 21

Stoke outbid us for Berahino

Stoke outbid us for Berahino

Thank God for that. If he wasn't English, he be going for £8-12m, nothing to suggest he'll become a top player.

Thank God for that. If he wasn't English, he be going for £8-12m, nothing to suggest he'll become a top player.

Hearing there was no Stoke bid. Seems to be a lot of media brinkmanship going on with this deal. Latest is that its a 24 million cash up front bid

Crazy money but money well spent if we stay up. Madness to turn it down too.

What would you like to see happen by the way? Sign somone else? Keep the money? Its definitely an inflated price but its January and everyone knows we need a striker and WBA are in no rush to sell

Hearing there was no Stoke bid. Seems to be a lot of media brinkmanship going on with this deal. Latest is that its a 24 million cash up front bid

Crazy money but money well spent if we stay up. Madness to turn it down too.

What would you like to see happen by the way? Sign somone else? Keep the money? Its definitely an inflated price but its January and everyone knows we need a striker and WBA are in no rush to sell

Well I'd rather they spend the money on a proven striker, and there are plenty non-English ones that would cost the same. Could've had Loic Remy, who is even more proven since he scored a bucket of goals when he was at Newcastle, but for some reason they didn't go for him. Liverpool would more than likely sell Benteke at a loss given his poor fit in the system, and take it from me, plenty want him sold and the cash to be used on Teixiera.

Then there's other European leagues. Slimani, Musa, Zaza, Batshuayi and Volland would all cost less than or as much as Berahino,, and they're absolutely proven in their respective leagues (Zaza's form is inconsistent though, so he'd be slightly risky).

Having said all that, if Doumbia is a done deal there is absolutely no need for any more forwards and all the Berahino money should be spent on a centre half. I've already endorsed Vestergaard here, and Umtiti would be another great one to look at, but he could be a tad more expensive than Berahino.

I hate to see crazy money potentially wasted on unproven players like Berahino when there are better and cheaper alternatives available, in other positions in dire need of strengthening.

Well I'd rather they spend the money on a proven striker, and there are plenty non-English ones that would cost the same. Could've had Loic Remy, who is even more proven since he scored a bucket of goals when he was at Newcastle, but for some reason they didn't go for him. Liverpool would more than likely sell Benteke at a loss given his poor fit in the system, and take it from me, plenty want him sold and the cash to be used on Teixiera.

Then there's other European leagues. Slimani, Musa, Zaza, Batshuayi and Volland would all cost less than or as much as Berahino,, and they're absolutely proven in their respective leagues (Zaza's form is inconsistent though, so he'd be slightly risky).

Having said all that, if Doumbia is a done deal there is absolutely no need for any more forwards and all the Berahino money should be spent on a centre half. I've already endorsed Vestergaard here, and Umtiti would be another great one to look at, but he could be a tad more expensive than Berahino.

I hate to see crazy money potentially wasted on unproven players like Berahino when there are better and cheaper alternatives available, in other positions in dire need of strengthening.

Yep, fair points. We are where we are though, you can cross half of those players off due to zero prospect of european football and the standing of the club. Berahino wouldn't have been my first choice by any means but I'd rather him than sticking with what we have. Its too late to look elsewhere unless there has been some serious groundwork completed

Yep, fair points. We are where we are though, you can cross half of those players off due to zero prospect of european football and the standing of the club. Berahino wouldn't have been my first choice by any means but I'd rather him than sticking with what we have. Its too late to look elsewhere unless there has been some serious groundwork completed

Yeah that's very true also, transfer take time and talks usually begin long before the media get anywhere near it. Having said that, this club as we both no is unpredictable I the transfer market. The signing of Mitrovic was very sudden, because Mbemba was linked for ages and I think the board decided that they'd try and poach him while the Mbemba talks were going on. Andy Carroll was sold on transfer deadline day with no previous links to Liverpool (only Spurs IIRC) and that move didn't take long to complete.

So, there's every chance of a surprise at this time of the month, and the money is there to spend evidently. I'd love to see some ambition and for them to splash out on a quality centre half, but I'd have to agree with you that if we're in for only a striker, the money is better spent than saved.

I'm hugely confident Newcastle will be in the PL again next season though regardless, but signing a good defender makes it close to a lock IMO.

Yeah that's very true also, transfer take time and talks usually begin long before the media get anywhere near it. Having said that, this club as we both no is unpredictable I the transfer market. The signing of Mitrovic was very sudden, because Mbemba was linked for ages and I think the board decided that they'd try and poach him while the Mbemba talks were going on. Andy Carroll was sold on transfer deadline day with no previous links to Liverpool (only Spurs IIRC) and that move didn't take long to complete.

So, there's every chance of a surprise at this time of the month, and the money is there to spend evidently. I'd love to see some ambition and for them to splash out on a quality centre half, but I'd have to agree with you that if we're in for only a striker, the money is better spent than saved.

I'm hugely confident Newcastle will be in the PL again next season though regardless, but signing a good defender makes it close to a lock IMO.

The defence is an anomaly alright, we have neglected it for years. I just can explain how we con leak goals for so long without any attempt at an overhaul.

I'm glad you are confident, cant say the same TBH.

Batshuayi sounded out, his club said not happening.

• Advertisement

Big big transfer deadline day for us today!

Anything? ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Berahino wont be coming

Doumbia hopefully gets done ( loan ) , Hes a quick striker something we need

Still can believe we are even in for the types of players we signed

Defender needed aswell I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Doumbia a done deal. Doesn't seem to be much word of a defender.

Perez signs new deal till 2021

Newcastle have €20m offer rejected for Islam Slimani

• Advertisement

Newcastle have €20m offer rejected for Islam Slimani

Looks like my wild conjecture wasn't actually too far off the mark! :pac:

Now for the Zaza, Batshuayi, Musa and Volland deals to be rejected...

Jose Enrique linked with a return to Newcastle.

It's improving the defence needs, not this. Major attitude problem and not much ability left in him either, he's a player that belongs in the Championship at best.

Jose Enrique to return, not sure how I feel about that tbh. Had been rubbish at Liverpool

Talks confirmed by Kopp .

Very odd deal considering he roasted the club when he left

Enrique brings out the worst in Colo too....Enrique always turns back inside rather than boot it up the wing when needed and used to play Colo in to trouble regularly...

Looks lime Charnley has failed for the 3rd window running to bring in a striker as instructed. Depending on the real story he'll either be fired or get a pay rise

• Advertisement
Advertisement