Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

ENRIQUE FAILS TO AGREE TOON MOVE

They will be no return to Newcastle in this window for Jose Enrique, Vinny O'Connor confirms he is training with Liverpool after failing to agree a move...
    Enrique training with Liverpool first team after failing to agree move to Newcastle. Training started at 5:30pm

— Vinny O'Connor (@VinnOConnor) February 1, 2016

Thank feck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I am still amazed that we have not strengthened in the areas we have been struggling in for years. The announcement of the Perez deal on deadline day was typical of the club. A pathetic attempt to divert away from another failed window in my eyes. Yes its great news, but on deadline day, come on!

I just hope the patched up team can survive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

A spineless team, do we attempt to build a spine, no, some dodgy striker on loan(how many of those do we have at this point 5 out of 7 of our strikers cant hack it) another winger after shipping out one we bought but didnt play and saivet a former striker turned into a lad who runs around the middle of the park a lot.... Neither rhyme nor reason in the signings.. I can see relegation on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I know we needed defenders badly but Perez signing a new contract is, in my opinion, the best bit of business we've done in January.

I'd like to think that we're done with this buy low, sell high policy because we actually need to start building a proper team around key players.

Selling off our best players may have rewarded the club financially but we've brought in cheap and inadequate replacements for many years now.

An odd window but as I've said before, going forward, I don't think we have a bad team at all. Up to McClaren now to start setting up the team properly now.

Ashley will expect something for his investment.

• That_Guy wrote: »
    I know we needed defenders badly but Perez signing a new contract is, in my opinion, the best bit of business we've done in January.

I'd like to think that we're done with this buy low, sell high policy because we actually need to start building a proper team around key players.

Selling off our best players may have rewarded the club financially but we've brought in cheap and inadequate replacements for many years now.

An odd window but as I've said before, going forward, I don't think we have a bad team at all. Up to McClaren now to start setting up the team properly now.

Ashley will expect something for his investment.

Personally I think he's doing a great job and that was a very productive window for you. Hes also brought in English players who already know the league. Something Newcastle haven't been doing for years which was a mistake IMO

104 goals conceded in 61 games and be sign exactly zero defenders.

Happy we signed players, not sure if its enough though, all seem to have previous issues. Glaring holes still not addressed up top or at the back. Thrown together collection of players with no apparent plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

i think the negativity in this thread is getting ridiculous. It seems McLaren can do nothing right. Yes our defence needs sorting out but anybody can see we are going in the right direction.

Spirit wise the team looks like there is fight in them at last, we have recently started to play some pretty decent attacking football too. We have signed 2 very promising english players in Shelvey and Townsend who know the league and arent cheap gambles from France.

No we are far from the finished article but we have a manager who I for one feel happy to support after the horrible characters weve had to deal with in the past. In shelvey, wijnaldum, sissoko, perez, townsend, perez, Doumbia, mitrovic we have team that is gonna try to play and score its way out of trouble and not go for the big sam method of lets try to at least get a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Newcastle will now be my new Fifa team

Doumbia is god

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

It literally seems to be impossible to keep some people happy.

I'm very happy with the signings. The lack of a defender is a big one but we addressed other areas and baught in People that know the league... Where in Previous windows we would have reached for the bargain bin.

And it's the January window...before the euros... An awful amount of players are hesitant to leave at this point. So I think we did well... The Siqueira u turn I'd imagine we didn't see coming and taught we would have had a defender in.

There's fight and talent in the team just have to get it right...

Hopefully Doumbia hits the ground running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Doumbia could be the signing of the window, always felt he was made for the Premier league. Pace and power and he is an excellent finisher.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Doumbia could be the signing of the window, always felt he was made for the Premier league. Pace and power and he is an excellent finisher.

He's been dire for Roma, Id seriously worry for a lad who cant hack the Italian league. Its easy to bang in goals and look great playing in Russia, McGeady did it, remember Jo? one of the dodgiest Brazilians ever to play in the prem, banged in goals in Russia.

He looks like awful here, no surprise he couldnt get his game for Roma on this evidence, way off the pace on the pace on his debut and didnt get any better in a year.... Hes a massive punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

How can a loan deal be a "massive punt"? The only cost incurred by Newcastle are his relatively modest wages, and they may not even be paying all of them for all we know. If he scores goals, great, if he doesn't, no harm done, there's other talented forwards at the club like Mitrovic and Perez who could get on a run.

He's far better than Berahino too, dodged a bullet there IMO, but only time will tell for sure.

Hes a massive punt in that there are other glaring holes that needed filling, eg left full and center half, if we go down because his goals dont mask our porous defense, well then its clearly a failure that has cost us millions beyond the cost of his wages/loan fee. Therefore hes a massive punt in that we are gambling on his goals saving us.

As you say we have other forwards(seven on my count), so whats the point in signing him? why are we going after a striker? He's a bizarre signing, unless they think his goals are worth a solid left back and a center half.

Thats just my reading of it, they clearly spent time doing the deal, which they could have spent getting in a defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Believe me, I've been the biggest advocate of a defensive signing this window and I was hoping to see them ditch the Berahino deal and go big on a centre half. It was always clear though that no defender was going to be brought in since none were even linked apart from Siqueira. The Doumbia deal all happened very quickly and if you have a chance to sign a player with his skill set on a loan deal, you must take it. He could do a job for most PL clubs IMO, but I've only seen him in European competitions since the Russian league isn't one of the divisions I follow. He always looked great against English opposition so I'm confident he won't be a failure.

If the summer transfer window isn't focused on bringing in a quality centre half, a quality left back and another decent centre half for rotation, it'll be a miserable failure. That's if the club is even in the PL next season, I'm confident the strikers will do just enough though to ensure it.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Personally I think he's doing a great job and that was a very productive window for you. Hes also brought in English players who already know the league. Something Newcastle haven't been doing for years which was a mistake IMO

Given the money spent (prior to this window) he really isn't doing that good a job. In the bottom 3 at this stage of the season with very little momentum during the course of the season is terrible imo.

This January window aside, we have a pretty decent starting XI. Alright, back 4 is dodgy but when they're up to it (a la West Ham at home recently) we have a very good balanced team).

McClaren has been tinkering with the system far too much and he's killing our momentum. Whatever about us being "unlucky" in certain games, he's been all over the place in setting up the team especially away from home where we've only scored 5 (open to correction on this) goals all season.

Alright, he can't score the goals himself but he has the ability to give us a chance to create more opportunities. Instead he has opted to nullify the team many times this season.

Whatever about the spark of fight we showed recently, it flickers out just as quickly as we turned it on.

We've got a few new additions now and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on with them but there really is no excuse for that team to be where they are. Players are obviously to blame too but it stems from bad management imo and I really don't think McClaren is good enough especially long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

Thauvin sent off on marseille return lol

Here's the team v Everton tonight lads.

Elliot, Janmaat, Mbemba, Coloccini, Dummett, Sissoko, Saivet, Shelvey, Townsend, Wijnaldum, Perez

Subs: Darlow, Gouffran, Lascelles, Aarons, Taylor, Doumbia, Mitrovic.

Townsend on the left frees up Perez to move up top but it'll only be effective if we play the ball into his feet rather than lumping aimless balls up to him.

Mitro, despite the criticism of his shooting, can certainly bring others into play with his hold up play so it'll be interesting if we're going to go about attacking a different way.

Certainly set up for the counter attack and there's lots of pace there. But, Everton haven't won since they beat... Yup... Us...

So, ya know. Put the house on Everton. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I'm a little disappointed to see mitro dropped, especially with Townsend on the wing you would be looking for a big man to meet those crosses or lay off to gini, has been doing everything right of late bar not scoring, thought he would be a better option than Perez but guess we will see
    Need something tonight and nothing less than a win at the weekend will do,

Weird bench, no midfield cover and Goufrann somehow is still a premiership player.. Luckily Everton cant defend, winnable with that starting line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Weird bench, no midfield cover and Goufrann somehow is still a premiership player.. Luckily Everton cant defend, winnable with that starting line up.

When u mention midfield what's the story with tiote? Transfer still on the cards?

Pathetic. Fúcking pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

That_Guy wrote: »
    Pathetic. Fúcking pathetic.

Shocking performance so far. Haven't had a kick. Saivet got caught badly pressing high for that goal.

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Shocking performance so far. Haven't had a kick. Saivet got caught badly pressing high for that goal.

Janmaat's clearance to an Everton player was critical.

And to think I was looking forward to this game all day... A fool I am!!

Buy a winger to supply crosses for mitro, play winger and drop mitro. Makes perfect sense

Absolute garbage

• Advertisement

Mbemba off injured... All those CB's we bought... he won't even be missed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

We're down lads.

If this is the fight we're showing in trying to stay up, I'd hate to see what we'd be like trying to get promoted back to the Premier League. Fúcking disgraceful yet again from McClaren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

It's ridiculous to think that we've had some really, good, committed performances this season and then you see a first half like that. Don't understand having Perez up front on his own. He can't get a hold of the ball.

I really don't understand why McClaren sets up with such a defensive mindset away from home considering A) we're shít B) we can't defend and C) we're shít.

• Advertisement

Well it's fair to say many of us called this. We have squandered the money on failures. No progressive signings.

The tactic seems to be early, high crosses. Perfect for Mitrovic, absolutely pointless for Perez.

Horrible tactics, uninterested players, the rot continues.

Maasive improvement required at HT. A point bare minimum against a pretty poor Everton side who are not really firing themselves

If we can't get a point here and lose to WBA, I think I'll be on the relegation bandwagon.

Norwich losing yesterday is our only saving grace because I don't know if we're good enough to close the gap on Swansea/Bournemouth.

Very worrying.

If we don't bring Mitrovic on now right away I'd worry for us and leaves further questions over McClaren's tenure imo.

Another winger and 3 at the back, jesus wept

3 at the back... Because it worked so well against Watford... Fúck me.

Absolute drizzling ****s.

Buys a winger, doesn't field a striker.

Then he brings on another winger???????

This clown needs to go. I'll be blue in the face saying it. 80m spent and he's going to relegate us.

Sissoko deserves a kick up the fúcking hole. Lazy bastard.

That_Guy wrote: »
    3 at the back... Because it worked so well against Watford... Fúck me.

Worked so well against Watford we tried it again against Watford and lost

Sure lets try it again

Bring ****ing mitro on for jasus sake

Save!

Closing has been pathetic

Unreal save.

Coloccini standing off him watching. Pitiful.

If we didn't have Rob Elliot we'd be dead and buried by now.

• Advertisement

And there's Mitrovic missing his usual sitter.

Should've headed that Mitro... Holy hell.

It probably won't happen while Ashley is still in charge but we should really bring Shearer in to teach strikers how to fúcking finish chances.

We were completely setup for Mitrovic. Even though he missed that has been our only chance. He should have started. We didn't sign a viable alternative so we have to stick with him. Playing nobody up front not an option

Nobody attacking a training ground corner play

Townsend, Shelvey, Saviet absolutely awful. No left back after makeshift left back gets injured. You get out what you put in

Sissoko out muscled by Gareth Barry... Fúck sake.

What in the name of Christ have we signed? This ridiculous idea that we can buy our way out of relegation was always going to fail with some bad recruitment. This could be it.

Forgot that McClaren is on the board. I expect him to call himself into the boardroom to explain himself tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Townsend is horribly one footed.

Advertisement