Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

The cost of relegation is what, £80-100 million, based on the new TV deal alone?

Time to get Capello on the phone, nine games, and a big fat bonus at the end of it, both parties shake hands and walk away at the end of it. No point in sacking McLaren to get in another failed loser of a manager. someone pragmatic who can organise a defence.

Does anyone seriously think Moyes, Sherwood, Pearson, Rogers or Benitez have the answer?

Shopping in the bargain with 80 million on the line is idiotic. I would say offer Mourinho twenty million if he keeps us up, but I dont think he'd want to stain his reputation, no matter how much you chucked at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

M5 wrote: »
    I eluded to that possibility, why keep on a dead man walking though. Get rid, commence search. Install new man after match on Monday, or just before the game.

Yeah I was more talking about the lack of statement of support being a sign of your theory.

In all honesty, we've been let down so many time, by now we should just accept he'll be there till end of season (and probably longer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Logic would suggest he has to go, this is Newcastle though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The cost of relegation is what, £80-100 million, based on the new TV deal alone?

Time to get Capello on the phone, nine games, and a big fat bonus at the end of it, both parties shake hands and walk away at the end of it. No point in sacking McLaren to get in another failed loser of a manager. someone pragmatic who can organise a defence.

Does anyone seriously think Moyes, Sherwood, Pearson, Rogers or Benitez have the answer?

Shopping in the bargain with 80 million on the line is idiotic. I would say offer Mourinho twenty million if he keeps us up, but I dont think he'd want to stain his reputation, no matter how much you chucked at him.

Loser manager? Ye should be so lucky. He doesn't belong in that list of managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Newcastle would be damned lucky to get Benitez and I say that as someone who blew hot and cold about his time at Liverpool.

I'd have Benitez on a short or long term contract. Latter not going to happen

rob316 wrote: »
    Loser manager? Ye should be so lucky. He doesn't belong in that list of managers.

He cant get a team to defend, we need a manager who can set the team up to be hard to break down. the only person I can think of who can do that (outside of Mourinho, who wouldnt sign for us no matter what) is Capello.

If we dont sort out the defence we are going down, end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He cant get a team to defend, we need a manager who can set the team up to be hard to break down. the only person I can think of who can do that (outside of Mourinho, who wouldnt sign for us no matter what) is Capello.

If we dont sort out the defence we are going down, end of story.

The common criticism levelled at Benitez and I would agree with is he's sets up to negatively and doesn't go for the win and settles for a draw. Defending has generally been one of his strong points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The **** are they waiting for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Moneymaker wrote: »

Rumour has it, one board member is refusing to sack the manager ;)

• Advertisement

He's on the board...

It's not happening lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A viable candidate isnt available to dot the i's and cross the t's?

rob316 wrote: »
    The common criticism levelled at Benitez and I would agree with is he's sets up to negatively and doesn't go for the win and settles for a draw. Defending has generally been one of his strong points.

He was consistently criticised for bad zonal marking, which is how all three of our goals happened at the weekend.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    A viable candidate isnt available to dot the i's and cross the t's?

No point sticking with a lame duck in the mean time, doubt that is the case for that reason

Locals reporting McLaren will be conducting training tomorrow.

Safest job on the planet

Locals reporting McLaren will be conducting training tomorrow.

Safest job on the planet

See you in the Championship.

One less **** lazy French player. Marveaux out for the rest of the year, contract up in the summer, complete waste of space, five years worth of wages he picked up for zero performance. Knowing Newcastle we wont have a manager or a plan in place and he'll get a holdover deal for another year as happened with Gouffran...

Board meeting held without McLaren. Mail now reporting he will be sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

In terms of the available squad, compared to Norwich and Sunderland, yere biggest rivals for the drop, IMO, ye're much better equipped.

I'd still rate yere chancew of survival as better than the rest, given ye've to play Sunderland at home and Norwich away back to back, if ye pick up points there its looking very rosey.

Ye're 2nd last game of the season is away to a Villa side who will be relegated by then so that should be another 3 points. If you take those 3 games as must win games, and ye win all 3, ye'll more than likely be safe as Norwich and Sunderland have to play each other too and neither have Villa to play either for added gimme points.

• Advertisement

In terms of the available squad, compared to Norwich and Sunderland, yere biggest rivals for the drop, IMO, ye're much better equipped.

I'd still rate yere chancew of survival as better than the rest, given ye've to play Sunderland at home and Norwich away back to back, if ye pick up points there its looking very rosey.

Ye're 2nd last game of the season is away to a Villa side who will be relegated by then so that should be another 3 points. If you take those 3 games as must win games, and ye win all 3, ye'll more than likely be safe as Norwich and Sunderland have to play each other too and neither have Villa to play either for added gimme points.

We lost at home to bournemouth though without any signs of fight. We just rolled over. Bad form and bad attitude at this stage makes me think that there is no chance unless something changes

Look at this defending, this is after a two week break to prepare for the run in, on top of the 29 odd games and a pre season. Its complete amateur hour stuff, just hideous, no fight, no desire, no closing down, no marking, players just standing there.

We'll lose to Sunderland, hard to say what happens at Norwich, and our away form is shocking so even Villa would fancy nicking a draw at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

We lost at home to bournemouth though without any signs of fight. We just rolled over. Bad form and bad attitude at this stage makes me think that there is no chance unless something changes
    You'll survive. Just. But if you keep flirting with the drop, there'll come a season when you won't escape. Look at Coventry; every season they seemed to scramble their way to survival. But eventually, luck ran out. They were relegated in 2001, and they haven't come anywhere remotely close to getting back up. And for those who say that Newcastle are a bigger, better supported (and therefore, with more resources available) club, that is true. I would then quote Leeds United, who went down in 2004. Apart from reaching the playoffs once, they too have never really looked like returning to the PL. And they are a big, well supported club. Newcastle need to get their act together, and quickly, while they still can.

I don't think there is any supporter who hasn't seen this coming.only rakes one poor window to send you down if your target is survival. As for the championship those in control no doubt think they can get out easily. They thought they could easily get their welly out of relegation with a large outlay in January though...

I don't think there is any supporter who hasn't seen this coming.only rakes one poor window to send you down if your target is survival. As for the championship those in control no doubt think they can get out easily. They thought they could easily get their welly out of relegation with a large outlay in January though...

It'll be worse than the last time we went down, then we had a squad of tough players who had been around the premier league for years and could easily play at that level, Nicky Butt, Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith, Ryan Taylor, Routledge, Guthrie and probably a few others I am missing....

With this squad, we will struggle to make the play offs.

It'll be worse than the last time we went down, then we had a squad of tough players who had been around the premier league for years and could easily play at that level, Nicky Butt, Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith, Ryan Taylor, Routledge, Guthrie and probably a few others I am missing....

With this squad, we will struggle to make the play offs.

That squad had a lot of leaders also. The recruitment policy has been to recruit sheep and shrinking violets. Yet another disastrous, ill thought out, policy.

No matter where you look, stupid, arrogant or half baked policies.

• Advertisement

Don't know if it's to be believed but one board member sticking by cock head

McLaren came to training ground to take training and left immediately

They're now saying he didn't leave and he's taking training.

What an absolute ****house of a club we are.

Yep, his car left, but he remained. Carry on regardless

From the Chronicle;
    Newcastle are ready to sack Steve McClaren – but they are working to line up an alternative before dismissing the head coach.

McClaren took training this morning against a backdrop of the club having reluctantly begun work on bringing in an alternative. Sources close to Rafa Benitez have suggested some form of sounding out of the former Liverpool boss while Nigel Pearson and Brendan Rodgers are other options being considered.

David Moyes is the current bookies favourite.

The thinking at St James’ Park is this: United are ready to make a change but only if it is someone they believe has a better chance of keeping them up. They are looking to bring in someone with a CV that will help them complete the salvage job – and don’t want to make a change just for the sake of it.

Lee Charnley has always viewed sacking McClaren as a last resort but after the 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth – witnessed by Mike Ashley’s lawyer – they have reached that point.

The impasse is a strange one. United, in theory, could retain McClaren for the Leicester game if they can’t land their alternative but his authority would be so diminished that it’s impossible to see how he could prepare the team properly.

McClaren continues to work as if he will be taking the team to the King Power stadium but it has been reported that even he privately suspects United have decided on a change

So expect to see McClaren "lead" us out at Leicester.

Jesus ****ing wept.

• Advertisement

From the Chronicle;

So expect to see McClaren "lead" us out at Leicester.

Jesus ****ing wept.

They cant even sack someone right, how hard is it to hammer out a deal for ten games with someone who is unemployed......

Its amazing Ashley is a billionaire seeing that he delegates to utter incompetents

It gets worse...
    Luke Edwards - formerly of this parish, so I can vouch for him - reckons this could drag on until Wednesday. Wouldn’t be surprised.

Meeting between Charnley & McClaren not taking place this afternoon. Nothing to see here. Move on Doubt anything major happening today #nufc

Why the hell not? Penfold miss his train? :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

United are ready to make a change but only if it is someone they believe has a better chance of keeping them up.

Anybody would do a better job in keeping us up. Anybody!!

Penfold is dragging his feet because he pushed so hard to hire the village idiot in the first place.

He's signing his own death warrant if he sacks him. And he's such a spineless coward and so out of his depth he doesn't have the balls to admit he ****ed up.

Ashley should intervene and sack the lot of them.

McClaren is around for any longer we are 100% down. We have a chance with anyone else. Anyone. Yes even Pearson or Redknapp.

I wouldn't mind them taking the time to find a replacement if I knew that they would hire the right man.

I just can't get myself excited in the next appointment because we all know it's going to be a really uninspiring choice.

Whatever about Benitez, Moyes, Rodgers being mentioned, these names get bandied about for every club that is seeking a new manager for their team. Benitez would be a huge coup even if it was just for the end of the season.
    He take us down, it might blemish his record a bit but it won't be his fault necessarily as the damage has already been done. He can walk away and still remain one of Europe's best managers.
    He helps us survive, he's a hero and I wouldn't blame him walking away because long term, he deserves a good club which we aren't right now.

Moyes and Rodgers would be more longer term goals and I would not be adverse to either of them coming in. Which one would take a stint in the Championship though do you think if the seemingly inevitable happens?

I dunno lads. I just can't get excited for the next lackey to come in and have the same results occurring over and over again.

"Making our own luck", cried Ashley last season. You're shít out of it Mike and I hate saying it but I'd nearly take a relegation if it got Ashley out of the club and I could actually enjoy going over to games and watching them albeit in a lower league.

I hate saying things like that but everything to do with the club is a chore. On the field and off the field. I don't recall the last time I had any optimism or excitement about potential signings during the summer or waking up on a match day and actually looking forward to sitting down, enjoying a beer and watching a competitive game of football.

I do it now because it's just what I've always done but it's far from escapism now.

We're a circus and have been for years. The Newcastle forum on here is the only reason to watch games to share frustration. Brothers in arms in dark humour about the shít storm that is Newcastle United.

Open to interpretation, this one....

The current message from the club is "business as usual".

Haha....oh god :(

Who was that from pal?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Who was that from pal?

Keith Downie from SkySports.

Following the Chronicle live updates frantically refreshing every 5 mins and being disappointed every time it doesn't say he's been sacked :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The club are just waiting until McClaren's replacement is ready to go before giving him the bullet. He's gone.

Paully D wrote: »
    The club are just waiting until McClaren's replacement is ready to go before giving him the bullet. He's gone.

No point keeping on a lame duck, not having that paully

Hope you are right though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I think he's gone too, in agreement if not in actuality. They'll wait until after the Leicester game next Monday to announce anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

ok,

Even if they put Colo in charge for the Leicester game it would be better than having a man that knows he's gone and has no interest in the job.

just imagine if mclaren is still there for the leicester game and we win ( I know yeah, its unlikely) you'd have another 5 days deciding on whether we should get rid or not

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    leicester game and we win

Atleast we still have our sense of humour :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

Still no update! Surely they would have started talking to prospective candidates weeks ago? It's not as if this debacle at the club was a surprise!

Note this: United have not denied the Benitez link. Neither have they moved to clarify McClaren’s position - the fact that they’re looking at alternatives is now the worst kept secret in football.

Talks with Benitez are likely to speed up in the next 24 hours, and we expect a decision on McClaren by Thursday.

United have a decision to confirm on McClaren - who is becoming increasingly exasperated with the situation. And who could blame him?

From the Chronicle. Rafa seems like pure fantasy tbh. I expect McClaren to still be here or another croney put in charge, I shudder to think who.

As much as I bash McClaren as a manager I have nothing against him personally. I feel for him being put in this position. They probably want to try and force him to resign.

From the Chronicle. Rafa seems like pure fantasy tbh. I expect McClaren to still be here or another croney put in charge, I shudder to think who.

As much as I bash McClaren as a manager I have nothing against him personally. I feel for him being put in this position. They probably want to try and force him to resign.

Save a few pennies, with millions on the line, running a football club, SportsDirect style....

It's an absolute farce tbh. Everyone knows he's out the door so be done with it. He's failed badly but he deserves to be treated with a bit of dignity. What happens if(when) everyone on our supposed "shortlist" turns us down. What then?

How long until, "talks broke down" stories start surfacing? I give it til 3pm today.

Craig Hope (Daily Mail journo so take from that what you will)

https://twitter.com/CraigHope_DM/status/707539432635768832

• Advertisement

Vote of confidence by lunchtime so?

Advertisement