Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Maybe not. Tomorrows press conference cancelled. That's the clear sign he's done. I wish they'd just do it already and treat the man with a bit of dignity. He doesn't deserve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Maybe not. Tomorrows press conference cancelled. That's the clear sign he's done. I wish they'd just do it already and treat the man with a bit of dignity. He doesn't deserve this.

Who will take over do you think?

ronjo wrote: »

Joe Kinnear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fantasy: Rafa Benitez
    Reality: One of Tim Sherwood/Nigel Pearson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

That_Guy wrote: »
    Fantasy: Rafa Benitez
    Reality: One of Tim Sherwood/Nigel Pearson

As an Arsenal fan unrealistically clinging to the hope we can win the title still I hope you get some movement before Monday.

Actually probably a similar chance of Toon getting something from the game as there is of Arsenal winning the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Moyes.

Sky saying that the meeting never even took place between Charnley and McClaren...

For god sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Interesting retweet from Guillem Balague..... Screen_Shot_2016_03_10_at_12_33_07_a_m.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Interesting retweet from Guillem Balague.....

Balague and the Daily Fail. Together.
    UamxeHe.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

As much as I hope this is true Newcastle have plenty of previous with this kind of thing. The "couldn't get the deal over the line" phrase make another appearance and John Carver gets the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Paul Joyce of the Express said Newcastle have approached Benitez and are working hard to get it done. I would take anything Paul Joyce says as gospel. Hell of a coup and would be delighted to see Rafa back in the EPL. Ye can go places with Rafa and Ashleys new found ease of spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Benitez interested in the job according to some of the papers, can't see it happening myself but what a huge coup it would be. He'd probably stay beyond this season if he kept the team up too which would be amazing.

I think I'd prefer Moyes ... think we need some one that is a bit grittier ... BUT Benitez delivered Djimi Traoré, Dudek, Carson a Champions League Winners medal ... If you can do that ... you can do anything! :p

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I think I'd prefer Moyes ... think we need some one that is a bit grittier ... BUT Benitez delivered Djimi Traoré, Dudek, Carson a Champions League Winners medal ... If you can do that ... you can do anything! :p

Beggers can't be choosers.

Give the man whatever the hell he wants!!

Atleast he manages to do pressers without smirking 1/2 ways through ... infact both he and moyes can be quite somber in demeaner

Atleast he manages to do pressers without smirking 1/2 ways through ... infact both he and moyes can be quite somber in demeaner

Sure Benitez doesn't even celebrate a goal, completely expressionless.

He won't take any dicking about, that's for sure.

The great thing about Rafa possibly getting the job, is that if there's one thing he will guarantee, it's a good defensive system. That doesn't mean the defending will be amazing all of a sudden, but it should cut out a lot of the ridiculous mistakes which often stem from a poorly implemented system at the back.

Benitez looking for a project. I hope the clowns in charge realise that top managers looking for a project don't come around too often. They'll likely offer him a head coach role, with half his remuneration in sports direct 50% off coupons.

Would be the first time I had felt positive about the clubs direction since Keegan was hired for the 2nd time

BREAKING: Primary Rightsholders have just been called in to the #NUFC training ground - likely signs of an imminent announcement #McClaren

Announcement of a new bumper 45 year contract no doubt.

In a Sports Direct warehouse hopefully!

• Advertisement

To be fair, am man that can keep on smirking and smiling through the last 9months ... deserves a new deal .... :P

It is harsh on him, I firmly believe Derby started fading last year BECAUSE we were linked to him solidly when P45due ( possibly due again soon if he keep up the Palace result streak) left for Palace ... I think it affected him and his players.

So he lost out on promotion ( possibly wouldnt have come if they had gotten promoted) and the last 9months dont exacty look good on the CV - definetly not if the next manager manages to string a few wins together.

To be fair, am man that can keep on smirking and smiling through the last 9months ... deserves a new deal .... :P

It is harsh on him, I firmly believe Derby started fading last year BECAUSE we were linked to him solidly when P45due ( possibly due again soon if he keep up the Palace result streak) left for Palace ... I think it affected him and his players.

So he lost out on promotion ( possibly wouldnt have come if they had gotten promoted) and the last 9months dont exacty look good on the CV - definetly not if the next manager manages to string a few wins together.

He's just deluded tbh. He was smiling after we got done 5-1.
    UPDATE: Premier League Productions & Sky conduct only player ints as per TV rights pre-Monday's match. No manager news at this stage. 2+2=?

FOR ****S SAKE :mad:

Steve McClaren is understood to have been dismissed by Newcastle United. The Magpies told McClaren to get on with the job during in the aftermath of the 3-1 defeat against AFC Bournemouth. He left the training ground at 2pm before learning via media reports he was set to be replaced. McClaren has taken training despite masses of speculation that Rafa Benitez was about to take his job as boss of the Magpies. The Chronicle understands that McClaren was not told face to face by managing director Lee Charnley that he has been relieved of his duties and learned of his departure via the media. McClaren had won just six games from 28 in the Premier League. However, the problems run deeper than just the head coach at Newcastle and McClaren has had little or no say in recruitment with just Andros Townsend and Jonjo Shelvey believed to be the choices of the ex-England boss. McClaren has been forced to fight on for his job without a recognised and proven Premier League goalscorer. Talks with Benitez have been ongoing this week but the Spaniard has requested full control of transfers and wants to bring in his own staff. United will have to negotiate a pay off with McClaren and could have to pay his contract up to 2018. Newcastle were unavailable comment when the news broke that McClaren’s time was up.

That's the kind of man Charnley is.

Let's get one thing clear. McClaren was an abject failure. He should never have been appointed.

But to treat him like this. He hasn't been bad on purpose. He deserved better imo.

Rafa won't stand for this type of **** but given the situation is so desperate he is in a strong position to bargain for whatever he wants. I say give it to him.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour by the club to treat him like that if true. It was bad enough how they got rid of Jonas and Raylor, but this is utterly pathetic.

Just goes to show how poorly the club is run from top to bottom, sickening. Almost feel sorry for Shteve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

First official reaction, McLaren not sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Ashley: 'Steve, do you want a massive Sports Direct bag to put your stuff in?'
    McClaren: 'Thanks Mike, very kind'
    Ashley: 'That'll be £1'

CdMjUiyW4AAVOEO.jpg

McLaren was treated poorly though, how can the club mess up sacking someone?

So is he sacked or what? ...

So is he sacked or what? ...

The only official statement was that he has not been sacked.

• Advertisement

He'll be sacked as soon as Rafa agrees terms I'd imagine. It'll make them appear to have move quickly and professionally, when we know it's anything but with this club.

He will be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Disgraceful treatment of McClaren. Should have sacked him yesterday instead of all this sh1te on sky today. Don't expect anything else from this circus.

Part of me feels sorry for McClaren but the other part feels no sympathy. Hanging around knowing he's out the door waiting for a compensation package despite doing a shíte job.

EDIT: Having read about him only finding out about his imminent dismissal through the media I'd have some sympathy for him.

Just shows how clueless and undignified the club are in handling anything.

Set target of top 8 himself
    Spent 50 million
    Judge us after 10
    Judge us after 15
    ...after window
    Spent 30 million
    2 weeks jolly to address issues and we come back worse
    Spent the vast majority of the season in relegation zone

Abject based on his own goals on several occasions, based on that he should quit himself. I have very little sympathy tbh.

Lee Charnley supposedly cut out of this deal. Another dead man walking

This is how we shud have sacked pardew rather than let him walk into a 'better' job

• Advertisement

M5 wrote: »
    Lee Charnley supposedly cut out of this deal. Another dead man walking

I can get on board with this sacking above all else. The guy has been robbing a living at the club.

I can get on board with this sacking above all else. The guy has been robbing a living at the club.

Supposedly "only" on 106k

Evidently you get what you pay for

Newcastle have cancelled their mandatory managers press conference today.

Also Benitez due in Newcastle today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

McLaren sacked, official

• Advertisement

Hopefully they don't fcuk this up as well, Rafa in charge is a monumental step forward.

Probably a 3 year deal with an option to walk away if he can't avoid relegation, fair enough really.

Break out the cheap San Miguel.

It's a done deal Folks, he's there to sign on. Hence McLaren sacked and press conference canceled

Break out the cheap San Miguel.

Has to be Cava ;)

M5 wrote: »
    Has to be Cava ;)

When you're a poor student I'll not be picky my man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

What are people's opinions on rafa staying on if we stay up? I'm 100% sure he can keep us up, so would he stay on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

looks like Rafa will get the job, great to get a big name in, but with the state of the side at the minute can Rafa save us im not so sure, really think moyes would have been the wise choice to get the best out of the squad and keep us in the league,
    Rafa will certainly command respect in the dressing room and hopefully he can drag the best out of the side we have,
    But honestly think it might be too late already

Knowing us we'll go down!

cadete wrote: »
    looks like Rafa will get the job, great to get a big name in, but with the state of the side at the minute can Rafa save us im not so sure, really think moyes would have been the wise choice to get the best out of the squad and keep us in the league,
    Rafa will certainly command respect in the dressing room and hopefully he can drag the best out of the side we have,
    But honestly think it might be too late already

We have to play all the sides around us and we have a game in hand. We still have our fate in our own hands. If Rafa can't keep us up then pretty much no one can.

McClaren dealt with this ****fest with class and dignity. He had to be sacked, he was never the right man. He didn't fail on purpose. I wish him well.

Senna wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on rafa staying on if we stay up? I'm 100% sure he can keep us up, so would he stay on?

I'd be on the 'give him anything he wants' side of things.

This appointment is easily one of the most ambitious things the club has done in... yeeeeeears.

• Advertisement
Advertisement