Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'd be on the 'give him anything he wants' side of things.

This appointment is easily one of the most ambitious things the club has done in... yeeeeeears.

Best since Keegan returned at least... Perhaps up there with Robson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

This appointment is easily one of the most ambitious things the club has done in... yeeeeeears.

Couldn't agree more, finally showing a bit of ambition,
    but I do feel sorry for mcclaren the guy handled the last week with class as said above, but charnley and Carr must certainly shoulder responsibility for this disaster too, hopefully Rafa has full control over all team and transfer affairs

The club have tried to get McLaren to walk. All of this has been very public and probably for a reason. I'd imagine this will be the end of McLaren, the final payoff. Sad that his career had to end with such abject failure (based on his own targets)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yeah but this is still MA's NUFC, they'll promise him the world but if we stay up, will he be given the control he needs and no one before him has got that.

Anyway I'm delighted, been a horrible few years and maybe now they realise paying for a top class manager can actually save money, stop having to trow money at problems every January with ill thought-out purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

cadete wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, finally showing a bit of ambition,
    but I do feel sorry for mcclaren the guy handled the last week with class as said above, but charnley and Carr must certainly shoulder responsibility for this disaster too, hopefully Rafa has full control over all team and transfer affairs

Carr has been disastrous, just looking at our squad there, roughly 15 players(excluding youth players, Colo etc) in our first team he had a hand in singing are not premiership standard. Thats a horrendous record, you are looking at roughly 4 players(excluding Saivet and Doumbia who I think aren't up to it, but you cant say at this point either way, so they arent included in either figure) who can hack it and put the work in, he's running at a 25% success rate on his signings.

I'd keep Carr, several players he was scouting but we didn't sign have ended up being top players. With rafa having the final say we should weed out the crap ones.

This will be confirmed at 3pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Senna wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on rafa staying on if we stay up? I'm 100% sure he can keep us up, so would he stay on?

Just listening to someone in the city on Talksport suggesting that if Newcastle go down there will be a clause to release Benitez, mind you how he'd know is another matter.

Just listening to someone in the city on Talksport suggesting that if Newcastle go down there will be a clause to release Benitez, mind you how he'd know is another matter.

I would assume that is a given tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

No way would he stay on to manage in the championship, I was just worried this was just a 3 month deal and that's it, he moves back to Spain or somewhere during the summer, regardless of us staying up.

• Advertisement

380050.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Treat him well Ashley, he's the most important man that's been brought into the club since Sir Bobby. Staying up is close to a certainty now given the games left to play and the man in charge for them. The summer transfer window will be a huge one for the club too, plenty of outgoings and he will attract some decent names too. Exciting times for Newcastle United at last.

Nowhere near guaranteed to stay up.

M5 wrote: »
    Nowhere near guaranteed to stay up.

I'd strongly disagree. If Rafa can't keep NUFC up with the games that remain, I don't think any manager in the world could tbh. The key thing here is that Rafa is coming in as a manager, they've scrapped the head coach role, he will have a much bigger influence over the squad than Shteve ever did. He knows how to organise a defence, even when the defenders aren't all that talented he will get more out of them than McClaren did.

I said its close to a certainty he'll keep the club up, and I'll stand by that.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I'd strongly disagree. If Rafa can't keep NUFC up with the games that remain, I don't think any manager in the world could tbh. The key thing here is that Rafa is coming in as a manager, they've scrapped the head coach role, he will have a much bigger influence over the squad than Shteve ever did. He knows how to organise a defence, even when the defenders aren't all that talented he will get more out of them than McClaren did.

I didn't say he would not maximise our chances. We have been pure ****, hopefully he can turn it around. It's still a big ask.

CONFIRMED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I agree. To stay up Newcastle will probably need about 12 more points so 3 wins is all that's really needed as you'll always pick up a draw or two along the way.

Looking at Newcastle's fixtures, still have: Sunderland (h), Norwich (a), Swansea (h), Palace (h) and Villa (a). Win any of 3 of those (and 2 would probably do if the 2 wins were to come against Sunderland and Norwich) and they're safe. I think they'll easily do it to be honest.

And of course there's 5 other games that could also throw up a surprise win or couple of draws now that there will presumably be a bit of a bounce on the back of Rafa coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

cadete wrote: »
    looks like Rafa will get the job, great to get a big name in, but with the state of the side at the minute can Rafa save us im not so sure, really think moyes would have been the wise choice to get the best out of the squad and keep us in the league,
    Rafa will certainly command respect in the dressing room and hopefully he can drag the best out of the side we have,
    But honestly think it might be too late already

Moyes? What has he ever won? You are signing a CL winner, Uefa Cup winner x 2, La Liga winner x 2, Fa Cup Winner and many more cups.

Honestly I might come across as bias but I cringe whenever I see Rafa lumped next to a name like Rodgers or Moyes. Newcastle have made the absolute best appointment possible and the fans should be delighted just like us Liverpool fans were when Klopp was appointed.

Benitez will be criticized for not putting his arm around a player or poor media relations, its all bollox, ye will have hired an excellent manager. I actually think its the perfect job for Rafa, his rep has taken a bit of a hammering since he left Liverpool so this is his chance to rebuild and wake a fast asleep giant. He is a man of class and dignity and I have no doubt the fans will love him.

If ye stay which ye will, I'd expect Rafa to have ye challenging for Europa League places next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Quite literally in shock still. Was sure we'd fúck it up and end up with Gary Megson or someone. Haven't been this happy with the club since we signed Cabs. Charnley shown the door next please. Interesting next few games..

Let's leave the discussion about survival for a while and bask in the warm glow knowing that for once the club has done EXACTLY what was required.

There is also no way in hell Benitez is signing up for more of the same. This is a rebuild job with funds.

Think of the contacts he has, the players that he can attract...

Positivity in the NUFC forum for a change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Treat him well Ashley, he's the most important man that's been brought into the club since Sir Bobby. Staying up is close to a certainty now given the games left to play and the man in charge for them. The summer transfer window will be a huge one for the club too, plenty of outgoings and he will attract some decent names too. Exciting times for Newcastle United at last.
    Lol they are in the relegation zone. Big job to keep them up & Benitez has hasn't done well since leaving Liverpool. I do think if they stay up he can do a very good job though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

NEWCASTLE CONFIRM BENITEZ

Newcastle have confirmed the appointment of Rafa Benitez on an initial three-year deal.

The Magpies have also confirmed the appointments of Fabio Pecchia, Francisco de Miguel Moreno, Antonio Gomez Perez.

Paul Simpson, Alessandro Schoenmaker and Steve Black have parted company with Newcastle with immediate effect.

Jaysus lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Finally a proper clean out!

Charnley is a lame duck and will have to be replaced in the summer.

rob316 wrote: »
    Moyes? What has he ever won? You are signing a CL winner, Uefa Cup winner x 2, La Liga winner x 2, Fa Cup Winner and many more cups.

Honestly I might come across as bias but I cringe whenever I see Rafa lumped next to a name like Rodgers or Moyes. Newcastle have made the absolute best appointment possible and the fans should be delighted just like us Liverpool fans were when Klopp was appointed.

Benitez will be criticized for not putting his arm around a player or poor media relations, its all bollox, ye will have hired an excellent manager. I actually think its the perfect job for Rafa, his rep has taken a bit of a hammering since he left Liverpool so this is his chance to rebuild and wake a fast asleep giant. He is a man of class and dignity and I have no doubt the fans will love him.

If ye stay which ye will, I'd expect Rafa to have ye challenging for Europa League places next season.
    In fairness I think you misunderstand, I'm delighted with Rafa, superb choice, my point being moyes has the experience of managing a club like ours and a squad like ours and getting the absolute best from them,
    But if we can stay up, next season with a few transfers could be really exciting, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new manager can do,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Fantastic appointment. Haven't been this optimistic about Newcastle in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Absolutely delighted with that! Finally went out and got a proper manager instead of going for the cheaper/average alternative!

Need to see an instant impact though. I'm not expecting anything from the Leicester game, but Sunderland is simply must win.

If he's in the stand / on the touchline i can see the players putting in an unreal performance on monday ... Start fighting for your places lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Looks like Newcastle are now my second favourite English team with that appointment.

Has them out training on their day off!

Zero messing, i like it!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Looks like Newcastle are now my second favourite English team with that appointment.

I've been that way for years, chose to support Liverpool but the family support NUFC so I've been over to some games there too. That's why I'm even happier about the Rafa appointment than I should be! :)

• Advertisement

Steve McClaren's statement

“I am obviously very disappointed with the decision.

“I appreciate any frustrations relating to the team’s results and the club subsequently finding itself in a battle to avoid relegation. I remain confident, however, that we would have stayed in the Premier League with a view to building for next season.

“Whilst there has been a lot of intense speculation surrounding my position over recent days, my sole priority has been to maintain my professionalism and carry on with my work to best prepare the team.

“I would like to place on record what a privilege it has been to manage Newcastle United Football Club. It is a great a club - the embodiment of the city, with incredible supporters.

“I’d also like to thank Mike Ashley and the Board for giving me the opportunity to manage the club, and the staff and players for their loyalty and efforts.

“For every supporter of Newcastle United, I genuinely hope the club can produce the results I believe they are capable of, between now and the end of the season, to maintain their Premier League status.

“Newcastle United is a club that must build for the long term to deliver what the supporters deserve – success and silverware.”

Newcastle trending worldwide on Twitter!

Classy from McClaren. He wasn't the right man but he's carried himself very well in the last few days. Wish him well, everyone who's worked him says the same thing, great coach, but not a good manager. I'm sure he'll feel better when he gets his compensation cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Benitez imposing his authority on the squad immediately by taking training on their day off. Smart move, sets the tone right away.

Also, it looks like Ian Cathro has been kept on amidst the McClaren backroom clear-out, which is great to see - he's highly rated in football, and Rafa must have been happy to have him. He could prove valuable in this current setup.

Also, Charnley doesn't know football at all, but few journos saying he was the one to push hard and convince Ashley to abandon the current model and go back to a proper 'manager'. For that, he deserves credit. No messing about either, gave Rafa his desired salary, release clause, and indeed his own backroom staff.

I think the fact Charnley is pictured here says a lot about his involvement in the deal.

NOW, can we kick these players up the arse, and get working hard to ensure we do enough to avoid losing games at least!

I've a sneaky feeling we might push Leicester close on Monday....

Delighted with the appointment.

Looking forward to seeing if hiring a new manager shortly before the derby will work for Newcastle too. :) Fair enough to write off the Leicester game but it would be huge for Rafa to beat Sunderland in his second match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Looking forward to seeing if hiring a new manager shortly before the derby will work for Newcastle too. :) Fair enough to write off the Leicester game but it would be huge for Rafa to beat Sunderland in his second match.

As Kev would say "I will love it if we beat them, love it!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Really superb appointment. Fair play lads.

I bet you wish you had Pardew back now! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Napoli fan here. I wasn't particularly upset to see Benitez go as despite him winning the Coppa Italia and the Supercoppa and a Champions League place finish in his two years here, he never really pushed the club on. That may sound a bit unreasonable but he only really managed to maintain Mazzari's level of success, rather than take the club to the next level. I was very optimistic when he joined as I thought him a step above Mazzarri, but he fell out with Higuain and had little moans to the press when DeLaurentis wouldn't give him his own way on transfer dealings in his second season.

The Europa League semi final defeat at the hands of a poor Dnipro side really showed up the fact that some players weren't putting in a shift for him anymore. My point is that in order for things to work well for Rafa, he needs to have total control within the club and complete respect from his players. From my admittedly limited understanding of Newcastle Utd, you seem to have a far far worse owner than DeLaurentis and a team with a few players with ideas above their station who, like it or not, probably do need an arm around the shoulder manager. I'm not sure how Rafa can manage to turn that into a successful formula that will guarantee survival. Diplomacy is not his strong point.

I think he's a much better manager than Moyes, but Moyes would've had a better chance of keeping you up. I hope it works out. I like Newcastle and I like Rafa, but I just don't see this working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Cheeky tenner @5/1 to beat Leicester on Monday. Long shot but I'm optimistic. All aboard the Rafa train

• Advertisement

population wrote: »
    Napoli fan here. I wasn't particularly upset to see Benitez go as despite him winning the Coppa Italia and the Supercoppa and a Champions League place finish in his two years here, he never really pushed the club on. That may sound a bit unreasonable but he only really managed to maintain Mazzari's level of success, rather than take the club to the next level. I was very optimistic when he joined as I thought him a step above Mazzarri, but he fell out with Higuain and had little moans to the press when DeLaurentis wouldn't give him his own way on transfer dealings in his second season.

The Europa League semi final defeat at the hands of a poor Dnipro side really showed up the fact that some players weren't putting in a shift for him anymore. My point is that in order for things to work well for Rafa, he needs to have total control within the club and complete respect from his players. From my admittedly limited understanding of Newcastle Utd, you seem to have a far far worse owner than DeLaurentis and a team with a few players with ideas above their station who, like it or not, probably do need an arm around the shoulder manager. I'm not sure how Rafa can manage to turn that into a successful formula that will guarantee survival. Diplomacy is not his strong point.

I think he's a much better manager than Moyes, but Moyes would've had a better chance of keeping you up. I hope it works out. I like Newcastle and I like Rafa, but I just don't see this working.

Cheers for the opinion mate. I thought he did ok at Napoli, but no better then that. Granted it's tough to break Juve's strangehold at the moment but I did think he could have done a little better there. He won some trophies though and tbh the arm around the shoulder approach I don't think works with our lot.

I have concerns about what level of control he'll have, i'm sure he demanded a lot of control and given our position he was in a very strong bargaining position. He wasnt good at Inter either(not all his fault in fairness), maybe the Italian style, the culture or whatever didn't appeal to him. His family are close by now so he should be in a good environment at least.

I'm delighted and it's a strong statement but there's always some reservations. I think he's the right man though and he's what we need. We need a strong character, someone willing to take the bull by the horns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Wow I'm stunned. That is exactly the signing Newcastle needed, now he just needs the support of the owner to turn that place upside down and see what shakes out. Rafa could easily re-vitalize that club and I can see him loving the process. He's a chess master and will happily navigate them away from relegation with the right set-up and attitude. I wonder will he try to snatch Pako from Valencia as his coach.

Love that the players were called in on their day off ... shows intent... no crap will be taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Really happy to see Newcastle bring in someone of Benitez' calibre. I've always had a soft spot for the club because of the sh*t the fans have to put up with on and off the pitch. I relate to you lads I guess.

Hopefully Ashley backs him now.
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Love that the players were called in on their day off ... shows intent... no crap will be taken

As a HSV fan who has experienced 1 or 10 mid-season coaching changes I can tell you that is standard practice when someone new comes in. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

garra wrote: »
    Wow I'm stunned. That is exactly the signing Newcastle needed, now he just needs the support of the owner to turn that place upside down and see what shakes out. Rafa could easily re-vitalize that club and I can see him loving the process. He's a chess master and will happily navigate them away from relegation with the right set-up and attitude. I wonder will he try to snatch Pako from Valencia as his coach.

Not a chance i'd say. They fell out at Liverpool with Pako leaving the club. Don't think they've reconciled since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Delighted, at last, there's a genuine buzz being a Newcastle fan again.

Ashley has been a total dickhead but the last year with the transfer funds and now this world class appointment he deserves credit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Best of luck with Rafa. Really good manager but needs to survive the next 10 games. If he can manage that then Newcastle will be much more solid next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He'll make them solid and tactically astute overnight.

Simple things like that go a long way in this league.

This summer will be the greatest silly transfer season of all time.

A league awash with cash and Klopp, Wenger, Guardolia, Bentiez, whoever at Chelsea and probably Mourinho looking to strengthen significantly.

Sky sports is going to go batsh1t mental after the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Are Swansea in this relegation scrap with us, norwich and sunderland? Or is it just us, norwich and sunderland?

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Are Swansea in this relegation scrap with us, norwich and sunderland? Or is it just us, norwich and sunderland?

You never know, 8 points ahead of us I think, along with crystal palace,

• Advertisement
Advertisement