Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Perez was a big letdown yesterday, Rafa has shown a lot of faith in him and he's failed to deliver.

Really? He lacked a little in final product but I though he was instrumental in everything good we managed to do second half. Got in on a lot of build up with tricky feet and calm passing.

Just failed to get anything for his trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Really? He lacked a little in final product but I though he was instrumental in everything good we managed to do second half. Got in on a lot of build up with tricky feet and calm passing.

Just failed to get anything for his trouble

It was only when De Jong came on when we really started to probe imo.

There were far worse then Perez on the pitch(Colback) but he disappointed me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Mitrovic was a beast yesterday.

He looks a lot better than earlier on in the season and it was also a good sign to see he's controlling his temper better. If Benitez can channel the passion that he showed, I think he can be a big part in keeping yez up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Loved Benitez having to hold back Mitro from getting back on after getting knocked out cold...

I speculate that a Sissoko, Cisse, Anita, Gouffran, Tiote, ... might not have been as eager and would gladly have taken the sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

To Sissoko's credit, I thought he done well when he was moved to LB. Was much more threatening than Colback anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Loved Benitez having to hold back Mitro from getting back on after getting knocked out cold...
    Me too. Genuinely can't think of the last time I saw any player care so much about getting back out there.

I love him just for that and I'm not even a Newcastle fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Nice to see Pards losing it, the smugness about his sacking and shots fired by his pals in the media at "ungrateful" Newcastle fans earlier in the season was tiresome stuff, I would love if they continued their freefall and they went down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Interesting story up on the BBC website...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35865092?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport
    Newcastle owner Mike Ashley says he "regrets" buying the club and that its bank account is virtually empty.

The Magpies are second from bottom of the table despite more than £82m being invested in the squad in the past two transfer windows.

When asked how much money was left in the club's bank account, he told the Daily Mirror: "Virtually nothing now. They have emptied it."

When he says, "they have emptied it", who in the hell is he talking about? How can all that advertising revenue, sales from players and TV money be gone despite spending very little over the years?

Whatever about the 80 odd million spent this season it still doesn't add up to the money we would have received from the things mentioned above.

---
    "Do I regret getting into football?" said Ashley. "The answer is yes. I have had tonnes of fun in it but I haven't been able to make the difference I wanted to in football."

What difference was that Mike? You may not have been the saviour of football the world over but you certainly changed Newcastle United for me. You fúcked it up big time.

---
    Ashley said: "All I say is, there is a bank account, when you have emptied it, it's empty. Don't come crying to me for more money."

Again, who has emptied it? Who gave permission for funds to be spent on players etc?

The man is fúcking galling to listen to. What does Rafa think of all this I wonder? Show some ambition in appointing the best manager we're likely to have in years and then says we've no money. Would you fúck off Mike you're not fooling anybody.

---
    Ashley has become increasingly disillusioned with the "negativity around me as an individual when it comes to Newcastle" and admitted he wants to have less involvement in the club.

I'm sorry we didn't whoop for joy when you plastered the sports direct shíte all over the place, treated Jonas with distain, ran the club as a circus, appointed shít manager after shít manager, didn't listen to fans etc.

I supposed we should be grateful for that "interest free loan" though eh? Pathetic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Mike Ashley says he "regrets" buying the club..

We regret you buying the club too Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

That_Guy wrote: »
    Interesting story up on the BBC website...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35865092?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

When he says, "they have emptied it", who in the hell is he talking about? How can all that advertising revenue, sales from players and TV money be gone despite spending very little over the years?

Whatever about the 80 odd million spent this season it still doesn't add up to the money we would have received from the things mentioned above.

---

What difference was that Mike? You may not have been the saviour of football the world over but you certainly changed Newcastle United for me. You fúcked it up big time.

---

Again, who has emptied it? Who gave permission for funds to be spent on players etc?

The man is fúcking galling to listen to. What does Rafa think of all this I wonder? Show some ambition in appointing the best manager we're likely to have in years and then says we've no money. Would you fúck off Mike you're not fooling anybody.

---

I'm sorry we didn't whoop for joy when you plastered the sports direct shíte all over the place, treated Jonas with distain, ran the club as a circus, appointed shít manager after shít manager, didn't listen to fans etc.

I supposed we should be grateful for that "interest free loan" though eh? Pathetic.

A transparent attempt to distance a successful bushman from a shambles PR, no thing else.

If ignore this just as much as I'd ignore the cup/champions league guff last year

• Advertisement

Ashley passing the buck as usual.

Anyway, the Chronicle posted this yesterday. Very interesting stuff.
    Rafa Benitez wants to rebuild Newcastle United from top to bottom.

His arrival on Tyneside has definitely lifted supporters and while his immediate priority is to pick up points, Benitez already has an eye on the future at Newcastle.

Part one of his job at Newcastle is to ensure the Magpies remain a Premier League club.

Then it’s all about the summer rebuilding plans he will already have in mind – and how the recruitment policy will operate from this point onwards.

What seems clear is that Benitez will have his own vision of the type of players he’d like at United and that power must be handed over when it comes to transfers.

Since Benitez has arrived there have been reports about chief scout Graham Carr’s future at the club and whether he will stay on to assist Benitez or seek pastures new.

Carr was once hailed as a “super scout” by some but his recent record leaves a lot to be desired.

It’s easy to remember the good signings such as Yohan Cabaye, Mathieu Debuchy and to begin with Cheick Tiote. But how long is the list of disappointments?

Yoan Gouffran, Remy Cabella, Florian Thauvin, Manu Riviere and Romain Amalfitano have proved to be big flops at Newcastle.

There is the argument that they may not have had the right coaching under various bosses in the last three years.

But the Continental structure at Newcastle has never seemed sturdy enough to succeed because Carr has had different ideas to the head coach.

For example, Alan Pardew didn’t take long to axe Cabella and Riviere very early in their United career – opting to go back to players like Gabriel Obertan and Sammy Ameobi.

Surely at that stage it was obvious things weren’t working properly but Newcastle continued to spend and bring in flops from Europe.

Pardew had his own ideas in terms of bringing in a defender with repeated attempts to sign James Tomkins from West Ham only to be handed Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, in another move that didn’t work out as the manager didn’t seem to rate him.

Fans were desperate to see Yanga-Mbiwa do well but he didn’t last long at Newcastle.

John Carver was never in a strong position to influence the board on transfers as the club had made up their mind that they weren’t going to sign anybody in January 2015.

And Steve McClaren’s input came too late. He got his wish to sign Andros Townsend and Jonjo Shelvey but never got the proven striker he wanted in the two windows he was in place. Benitez will make sure it is different on his watch.

Yet it doesn’t end with recruitment. The club’s Under-21 and Under-18 sides have looked second best too many times against other Premier League junior teams.

They say it’s not about results beneath the first team level but surely Newcastle shouldn’t be losing 8-0 on home turf to the likes of Everton or being stuffed 5-0 at Championship club Blackburn Rovers?

Peter Beardsley’s Under-21s have also endured some shocking results this season.

Recent games have ended in West Ham enjoying a 4-1 stroll at St James’ Park and Fulham also picking up a 3-0 win on Tyneside.

The kids were also knocked out of the FA Youth Cup at home to League Two side AFC Wimbledon while the second string were dumped out of the Northumberland Senior Cup by Blyth Spartans, a trophy that Newcastle should be winning at a canter every year.

Benitez has taken an instant interest in the Under-21s.

They have been sent back to the club’s Academy and will change and eat away from the first team until further notice.

There have arguably been a number of players who have felt they’ve made it at Newcastle too quickly.

Rubbing shoulders with senior squad members merely enforces that notion for some of them before they’ve even kicked a ball at first team level.

But Newcastle need to start producing more back-up for the first team and it would appear Benitez wants them sweating blood in order to earn the right to play for the first team. That is exactly how fans will feel it should be.

The main reason Benitez has cut down the number of those frequenting the first team base is so that the he can focus on the group of players who are genuinely going to fend off the threat of relegation.

It is still early days for Benitez and while he’s only managed to add a point to Newcastle’s paltry tally the signs so far have positive, United finally seem ready to make big changes behind the scenes.

The only fear now is that it could be too little, too late.

Hardly the actions of a man there for only the short term..

Oh, and I suggest you all read up on Jonas suing the club and the circumstances around. Deplorable is not the word, but i'd expect nothing less from Charnley, Carver and Pardew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Ashley passing the buck as usual.

Anyway, the Chronicle posted this yesterday. Very interesting stuff.

Hardly the actions of a man there for only the short term..

Oh, and I suggest you all read up on Jonas suing the club and the circumstances around. Deplorable is not the word, but i'd expect nothing less from Charnley, Carver and Pardew.

Have to defend Pardew on this front at least "Pardew had his own ideas in terms of bringing in a defender with repeated attempts to sign James Tomkins from West Ham only to be handed Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, in another move that didn’t work out as the manager didn’t seem to rate him.

Fans were desperate to see Yanga-Mbiwa do well but he didn’t last long at Newcastle.
    "

thats complete fantasy, Mbiwa was and is an awful awful player, nothing he has done since we shipped him out has proven otherwise, L'equipes worst player of the season. To say that he was some hidden gem as the article sort of hints at in a partial defence of Carr, is just not true at all. Pardew was right.

Have to defend Pardew on this front at least "Pardew had his own ideas in terms of bringing in a defender with repeated attempts to sign James Tomkins from West Ham only to be handed Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, in another move that didn’t work out as the manager didn’t seem to rate him.

"

thats complete fantasy, Mbiwa was and is an awful awful player, nothing he has done since we shipped him out has proven otherwise, L'equipes worst player of the season. To say that he was some hidden gem as the article sort of hints at in a partial defence of Carr, is just not true at all. Pardew was right.

Oh absolutely. Tomkins is a very solid EPL level player. Carr is as accountable as anyone else at the club for its failures in the past few seasons.

I'll say it again about carr, he spotted the likes of Aubameyang along with several others long ago. The club wouldn't stump up the fee and we ended up with 2nd or 3rd choice, or often desperation measures like Doumbia.

We have time and time again gone after deals that look like good value for money, not players withproven pl ability

Carr is not necessarily the issue. Policy, which you would hope would change, is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

M5 wrote: »
    I'll say it again about carr, he spotted the likes of Aubameyang along with several others long ago. The club wouldn't stump up the fee and we ended up with 2nd or 3rd choice, or often desperation measures like Doumbia.

We have time and time again gone after deals that look like good value for money, not players withproven pl ability

Carr is not necessarily the issue. Policy, which you would hope would change, is

Completely agree.

Carr is commissioned to fill a number of positions each year and will try land the top target each time, but may end up with 3rd choice if first two don't happen (Riviere being an example)

He's tried to bring Zouma, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Serge Aurier, Blaise Matuidi, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, and plenty others that slip my mind before most EPL sides gained interest in them.
    Carr knows a player when he sees one - most people focus on the likes of Cabella (£9m), Thauvin (£12m), Riviere (£6m) when picking at him, but neither Cabella or Riviere were first choice on the shortlist, and to be fair, one was a league winner in France (had a fantastic season too) and the other was popping in a few up top for Monaco)

Our scouting network is good as any in the EPL, but smoother relations between manager and recruitment would be even better, and I think we're getting that - signalled by the arrivals (and very costly arrivals..) of Shelvey and Townsend.

Carr's not the problem - it's just a mighty shame Lee Charnley was stupid enough to point a bog average British manager in McClaren in a season where a proper appointment may have brought about an exciting season. Who knows, if we had a good manager in at the start we might be flirting with the Top 6!

Anyway, all focus on Norwich. We need to win. I'll be shi**ing it.!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Elliot looks in big trouble :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Season over for him I'd say - Karl Darlow next in line?

Ah FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That's relegation basically confirmed. There must be a youth keeper (or five) better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Steve Harper, surely? :P

• Advertisement

This is what pisses me off about international friendlies!

If this is a bad injury it has the potential to have a huge impact on the relegation battle( not just for us but for teams around us too). and for what an pointless friendly!

stop having friendlies during the season (no international breaks means the season will end 2-3 weeks early so plenty time for friendlies at the end of the season)!

This and managerial changes get up my goat.

I reckon managers should not be able to be replaced outside of transfer windows ... Aston Villa getting a new manager (just like us getting benitez or Sunderland changing managers the last few seasons) means the squad tends to get a boost, you are now having team potentially loosing points to a resurgent team where others picked up easy points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    This is what pisses me off about international friendlies!

If this is a bad injury it has the potential to have a huge impact on the relegation battle( not just for us but for teams around us too). and for what an pointless friendly!

stop having friendlies during the season (no international breaks means the season will end 2-3 weeks early so plenty time for friendlies at the end of the season)!

Only UEFA is friendly matches, the rest of the world is playing competitive qualifiers in this slot. Every odd numbered year UEFA would also be playing qualifiers in the March slot, so its almost certain to remain exactly as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Lose today and it's curtains lads. Even a draw won't be great but probably the best we'll get.

Our defence will be a joke. Sissoko at lb and Taylor at Rb, we will make Norwich look like Barca

Today's the day that decides it methinks. If we lose we are gonski. That defence is going to absolutely kill us. Just have to hope that we can get the service into Mitro.

Going to be a long afternoon.

EDIT: Was just thinking about Rafa in charge. It's great that we have him but to be honest, I haven't really gotten properly excited about him as our manager. It's nothing to do with Rafa at all.

I think it's because the shít we've had to endure under Ashley has meant that any positivity has been lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Today's the day that decides it methinks. If we lose we are gonski. That defence is going to absolutely kill us. Just have to hope that we can get the service into Mitro.

Going to be a long afternoon.

EDIT: Was just thinking about Rafa in charge. It's great that we have him but to be honest, I haven't really gotten properly excited about him as our manager. It's nothing to do with Rafa at all.

I think it's because the shít we've had to endure under Ashley has meant that any positivity has been lost.

Ashley coming out with the "no more money to spend" interview just shows nothing is changing. Its almost like he wants to destroy the club.

Is it 17:45 yet? Did we win?!

Defence is non existent. Carved open 5 or 6 times already. No urgency, no possession and losing every battle. Changes needed or we are losing

Anita is disastrous.

• Advertisement

Anita is disastrous.

Has to be hooked at HT. The uncertainty with him playing is crippling the team.

****ing cross man, jesus

We're gone. We are not scoring 2 goals. No fúcking way.

Yawn, the obligatory goal just before half time

We look awful against the very worst sides in the league. Villa would beat us imo.

All wrong today. Anita has to come off, has handed Norwich half a dozen big chances. No surprise a free from that area cost us

Lose 100m+ because we didn't spend 2 million on a left back. You couldn't make it up

Tiote giving away free kicks in dangerous areas.

Opposition score from said free kick.

#justnufcthings

I don't know what we were hoping for from that line up but we have offered nothing either end.

We have to go at these. We just have to. 45 minutes to save the season. A draw is no good.

• Advertisement

As soon as I saw Cisse in the 11 I knew it'd be trouble.

Wijnaldum has been a disgrace the second half of this season.

Offside or not, Cisse can fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Why is De Jong not playing? He's actually good

This is awful, 1 nil down and I am not screaming at the TV. No point investing my energy in it. Sad state of affairs.

Offside
    Offside
    Offside

Fúck fúcking off.

• Advertisement

Get the **** in

MITROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You have to be joking!!

And we are done. Goodnight Vienna

You have to be joking!!

It's always the cruellest way possibly, you know that at this stage surely?

You just have to laugh.

The diving from Norwich has been deplorable. Our lads doing themselves no favours by letting it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Sigh why did I expect anything different

Cheaper tickets in the Championship lads if you fancy heading over next season for pints and misery. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Here goes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement