Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Last time we got relegated I was devastated. This time I'm just kind of numb to it. The club is a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Last time we got relegated I was devastated. This time I'm just kind of numb to it. The club is a mess.

I had sleepless nights over it. Now I just don't really care. Just another division we can be shít in.

We have no leaders a la Nolan/Smith/Barton

There is absolutely nobody in that team who gives a shít so why should I?

That Townsend goal. Everything we aren't... quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Norwich losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

tastyt wrote: »
    Norwich losing

So are we ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Pointing any fingers at Rafa is ludicrous.

These players aren't fit for purpose. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Thus is what happens when you sign players specifically because they have a mild temperament.

Sure, they won't cause you any issues or say anything in the press about the way the club is run. They will bottle and give up.

I hear Benitez went absolutely ballistic at half time and full time. He probably can't believe the attitude of the players. Again as the squad is so thin there is no one pushing the first team players. Sissoko effectively undroppable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

M5 wrote: »
    Thus is what happens when you sign players specifically because they have a mild temperament.

Sure, they won't cause you any issues or say anything in the press about the way the club is run. They will bottle and give up.

I hear Benitez went absolutely ballistic at half time and full time. He probably can't believe the attitude of the players. Again as the squad is so thin there is no one pushing the first team players. Sissoko effectively undroppable

If that's true then I have no problem taking back much of what I said. I'm sure there's a sizeable bonus for him to keep the club in the PL so he must be doing all he can.

Play the ****ing kids at this rate. It's not like it can get any worse.

Who's gonna apologize for the "letting the fans down" this week?

My money is on Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Play the ****ing kids at this rate. It's not like it can get any worse.

Who's gonna apologize for the "letting the fans down" this week?

My money is on Taylor.

Keeping in mind Ashley will not want to spend a penny on squad improvement next season, chances are you are going to need the kids you speak of to do a job for the club next season. Putting them in at the deep end now in a bitter relegation battle to make a point to some of the first teamers who are not pulling their weight could shatter the confidence of these lads and put Newcastle in an even deeper mire next season. I say keep the kids as far away from this mess as possible.

It's terrible to see genuinely great clubs like Newcastle and Villa suffer like this as a result of incompetent ownership.

• Advertisement

Look how the kids are playing at under age levels lads! The youth system has been decimated by Ashley and co. I believe both U18 and U21's are close to bottom of their leagues.

We will need 50/60m invested to stay in the championship IMO.

Yet again, yo reap what you sow!

Academy 3rd from bottom
    U21 3rd from Bottom
    Seniors 2nd from bottom

Shambles from the ground up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah I won't dispute that the players still need to pull the finger out, but Rafa use to be absolutely ruthless, I haven't seen the under-performers being dropped yet, Rafa is a guy who needs to entire dressing room to be behind him which adds up when you look at how a bad run of results for his teams often coincides with problems with owners and other off the pitch issues.

If the players can't get behind Rafa, he never stood a chance of keeping them up in the first place. So in essence I'm agreeing with both of you but I'd expect Rafa to take no shît and the fact is he that he isn't making any sweeping changes (has he had an opportunity to do so? Not a huge one, but leaving things as they are won't do). There's a lot of players in that first team squad that have no business being there.

Somewhat agree, Im disappointed Benitez hasnt wielded an axe to the crap in the starting 11, but I think that is just an even bigger indictment of how poor the replacements are. He has no loyalty to any player, he has a job to do, keep us up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I think one of the most frustrating things is the fact that we're one sh!tty, scrappy 1-0 win (a goal coming off the arse of somebody and creeping over the line) from putting ourselves on the brink of safety. But we've been so awful, we just haven't deserved anything to get that lucky deflection, goal line clearance or a day when the opposition just have a nightmare.

I think we all feel we are done and dusted but at the back of all our minds, I've no doubt we're all holding onto that little bit of hope of pulling out that result or two that can change it all.
    The fact that we have Swansea and Palace at home and Villa away, these surely represent our last throw of the dice. I know we've been saying for weeks "this is our last chance, lose today and that's it" but those aforementioned games really are the last chance.

Norwich v Sunderland next weekend is going to be huge though, we can only pray for a draw.

A Sunderland win is significantly better than a draw though, as hard as it is to admit. Two out of the three will go down, a Sunderland win still puts them behind Norwich and Newcastle have to pass both of them to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You'd be mad not to hope for a Sunderland win at the weekend. If that happens and you were to take 3 points from an extremely winnable game against a team that have nothing to play for and will be on the beach, things look bright for you again with Palace and Villa still to come.

A Norwich win however and we can both start making plans for next season's derby in the Championship. It's game over beyond doubt if they win.

In fairness though, if you don't beat Swansea at the weekend then I really don't know. If you could handpick a fixture it would be right up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Paully D wrote: »
    You'd be mad not to hope for a Sunderland win at the weekend. If that happens and you were to take 3 points from an extremely winnable game against a team that have nothing to play for and will be on the beach, things look bright for you again with Palace and Villa still to come.

A Norwich win however and we can both start making plans for next season's derby in the Championship. It's game over beyond doubt if they win.

In fairness though, if you don't beat Swansea at the weekend then I really don't know. If you could handpick a fixture it would be right up there.

Ya as dreadful and all as Newcastle are, if Sunderland can beat Norwich and Newcastle win those three winnable games (well in so far as any game is "winnable" when you've won what 6 games all season?) then they'll probably stay up.

Janmaat out with a groin injury. Not that he'll be sorely missed.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Janmaat out with a groin injury. Not that he'll be sorely missed.

Well we have a myriad of options at right back so we will be grand, oh... Wait

Gutierrez won his case too. Forced a player out because he had cancer.

Perhaps we could hire his surgeon?

• Advertisement

That Jonas court case really brings home what a fúcking disgrace of a club we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Pretty quiet on here. Usual home defeat today then. Put the first nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

I reckon we could get a draw as long as we dont concede early. No real use to us though, and I wouldnt put money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Actually think we will win this today.

Not sure where the optomisim is coming from though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You'll win by a goal today IMO. Swansea will have their feet up now.

Ya lads if we can't win today at home and fighting for our lives against a team with nothing to play for than I will give up and relegation is a cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Must be a strange feeling for Newcastle fans to be hoping for a Sunderland win!

TaosHum wrote: »
    Actually think we will win this today.

Not sure where the optomisim is coming from though!

Well, being a Newcastle fan pertains to an inherently optimistic personality! I feel like they could clinch Europa league football every summer, then the first few games happen:eek: and reality kicks in.

Cisse starting, mitro on the bench.

What the **** rafa!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Good scoreline at the minute 0-2 at Norwich. If only we could find a bit of form!!!! I've a terrible feeling we'll either go down on goal difference to the mackems or be relegated in front of pardews palace!!

Starting to think rafa is on a bonus for securing relegation rather than avoiding it

No mitro,shelvey or perez.... but sissoko plays?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Sissoko captain is ridiculous.

But I will judge after the game. In Rafa We Trust.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hope ye get a win today. It'll make it really interesting for everyone to have a proper 3 way battle to avoid relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

are there are any live streaming sites showing the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Another must win. Don't want the usual disappointment. Let's do this

Karl Darlow
    Vurnon Anita
    Chancel Mbemba

Jamaal Lascelles
    Paul Dummett
    Cheick Tiote
    Jack Colback

Andros Townsend
    Moussa Sissoko
    Georginio Wijnaldum
    Papiss Cisse

The player with the least heart gets the captaincy, I'd give it to Mitro all day. When was the last time Cisse scored? Rafa looking shot with these selections, bizarre, brainless defence, spineless midfield and toothless attack...... That team is cancer, what an awful lineup.

First time ye have led a game since Rafa arrived. Hopefully ye can see it through.

And Sissoko secures the 3 points! Swansea really must be on their holidays.

martyos121 wrote: »
    And Sissoko secures the 3 points! Swansea really must be on their holidays.

Swansea have missed some great chances though.

5starpool wrote: »
    Swansea have missed some great chances though.

You can tell their heads aren't in it though, either way it gives Newcastle a much needed win (hopefully) and gives the club a decent chance of avoiding the drop.

Fair play Newcastle. Get something from the City game on Tuesday (unlikely though) and you are in with a real fighting chance. Good for thw goal difference today as well.

• Advertisement

Get in!! This should be a big confidence boost now. Have to admit that rafa got it right today

Great result, was ballsy to start with Cisse and put Mitro on the bench but somehow it worked out in the end. There's a sliver of hope yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Great result, and the win for Sunderland helps too. Can't understand why Mitrovic doesn't start every game though.

Finally a decent result

tailgunner wrote: »
    Great result, and the win for Sunderland helps too. Can't understand why Mitrovic doesn't start every game though.

Rafa probably thinks he'll have more of an impact off the bench and to be fair, he's been proven right with Mitro lately.

We looked shaky up until the second goal today but I can't fault the performance. We actually looked like a team in large parts. Townsend was impressive.

Colback is such a liability in that team though. He is so rash and I really don't think he adds anything to the team as it stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Predictions for tonight's game? After their performance at Stanford Bridge, I don't hold out for much hope!

If we can avoid a heavy defeat that'd be about all i'd hope for tbh.

Aguero though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've never seen the toon this quiet 3 and half hours before kick off. I'm the only one in Rosies and there's nobody in the Irish club or the Arms, half a dozen in the Strawberry and four City fans in Beyond looking for the strippers.

if we can keep it to 2 goals or less of a difference we'll have done ok. It not what we need but neither is a 5/6-0 hammering

• Advertisement

Anything at all from this game, even a point, is a huge bonus. There isn't a point in the game for Newcastle though, I don't see this going any other way than a Man City win, let's hope it's a narrow, hard-fought one.

Advertisement