Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Is the game on tele?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Newcastle to take at least a point tonight IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fcuking awful decision, Aguero was miles offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

You'll never else a clearer offside, another awful decision to add to the list

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That wasn't even a slightly difficult decision.

• Advertisement

Boom

Great goal from probably the last player you'd expect it from.

Never thought I'd say it but with that kind of defending, there's another goal or two in this game for the Toon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

No Mitrovic, no Wijnaldum, and yet here we are 1-1 with Man City, and looking like we could actually score one or two more.

Rafa, why did I doubt you?

who's commenting on Sky ... I dont think there was anything in the Mbemba / Aguero 'challenge' in the box, but he keeps seeign contact and definite pens ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

When did we buy this tiote guy?????

• Advertisement

Mangala looking like the rock Kompany used to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The standard has been dire from both teams this 2nd half.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    who's commenting on Sky ... I dont think there was anything in the Mbemba / Aguero 'challenge' in the box, but he keeps seeign contact and definite pens ...

Wouldn't read too much into it. Just a jobsworth for sky trying to create a talking point.

Massive point, full credit to Rafa and the players, I thought they'd roll over after going 1 down.

There's hope left yet, not going down without a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

A draw not bad result for Newcastle.

They will fancy their chances against Palace and Villa.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well done, bit by bit the Rafa effect is taking hold - should have sacked McLaren a month earlier and you'd be safe now.

Did I view this through rose tinted glasses or were we the better team tonight?

By a mile, in my opinion. City looked like the team playing for the draw in the second half, when that results suits Newcastle far more.

Very good result. A draw flattered City.

The team are clearly working their bollocks off for Benitez and he is starting to have an impact as he has shown by leaving Shelvey out the last 2 games, dropping Wijnaldum and using Mitrovic as an impact sub when the vast majority of other managers would be afraid to not start him. The starting line-ups don't look the best on paper when you look at the type of player he is leaving out, but his plans/tactics/setups are working a treat.

The momentum is with you now and with Palace and Villa to come in 2 of your next 3 it's extremely difficult to not see you having enough to get out of trouble. One thing is for sure, with Benitez at the helm I doubt you'll have relegation worries again for as long as he is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Rafael has got a he'll of a lot right in the last 2 games.

Except for cisse, I really don't like him as our no 9 fighting to stay up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Paully D wrote: »
    Very good result. A draw flattered City.

The team are clearly working their bollocks off for Benitez and he is starting to have an impact as he has shown by leaving Shelvey out the last 2 games, dropping Wijnaldum and using Mitrovic as an impact sub when the vast majority of other managers would be afraid to not start him. The starting line-ups don't look the best on paper when you look at the type of player he is leaving out, but his plans/tactics/setups are working a treat.

The momentum is with you now and with Palace and Villa to come in 2 of your next 3 it's extremely difficult to not see you having enough to get out of trouble. One thing is for sure, with Benitez at the helm I doubt you'll have relegation worries again for as long as he is there.

Stop it.

The goal they got was a poxy decision but I reckon it would have ended up a draw anyway.

City really could have got an equaliser if they had to. They didn't seem that arsed about getting a winner.

Gini had our chance for the winner but Hart made a good save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Not at all. You were the better side tonight. I feel we took you lot for granted, which was foolish on our part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Just back from work, fully expecting to see a 4/5-0 hammering. Could prove to be a vital point. Rafa starting to show his pedigree.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fully deserved point tonight, should probably have had all 3 given how offside their goal was.

Hopefully ye'll get enough points to stay up, starting after ye lose at Anfield ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Don't know how it looked on telly but Tiote was the best player on the field by a country mile tonight, I've never seen him play half as well before.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Stop it.

I stand by my post.

I've said all along that Newcastle will stay up (though I did suffer some doubt that both of us may drop when Norwich beat you and we failed to beat West Brom I admit) and I don't see any reason for that to change now that you look better than you have done all season at just the right time.

Soooo, if Colo was fit tomorrow, would you split Mbemba and Lascelles? I wouldnt right now

Soooo, if Colo was fit tomorrow, would you split Mbemba and Lascelles? I wouldnt right now

Don't be ridiculous.

Never want to see Colo again.

• Advertisement

The two centre halfs played excellent tonight, Lascelles gave the ball away once in the first half, apart from that they were world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I stand by my post.

I've said all along that Newcastle will stay up (though I did suffer some doubt that both of us may drop when Norwich beat you and we failed to beat West Brom I admit) and I don't see any reason for that to change now that you look better than you have done all season at just the right time.

Call me a cynical Newcastle fan, but I'm gutted with tonight's result. A draw is not what we needed. Rafa is papering over the cracks; he knows deep down that it was an opportunity lost for us. Anyway, I still fancy Sunderland; they have an easier run in. You'll get something from the Arsenal game and Everton/Watford/Stoke games as these teams have nothing to play for. Our away form is brutal and our last game is against Spurs.

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Call me a cynical Newcastle fan, but I'm gutted with tonight's result. A draw is not what we needed. Rafa is papering over the cracks; he knows deep down that it was an opportunity lost for us. Anyway, I still fancy Sunderland; they have an easier run in. You'll get something from the Arsenal game and Everton/Watford/Stoke games as these teams have nothing to play for. Our away form is brutal and our last game is against Spurs.

After seeing Swansea having 75% possession against us on Saturday and City destroying Chelsea at the weekend, a draw isn't a disaster imo. A point of a Liverpool side resting players on Saturday won't be a bad results either. Beating Palace and Villa and avoiding defeat against Spurs, they are the big ones. That's what will keep us up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

After seeing Swansea having 75% possession against us on Saturday and City destroying Chelsea at the weekend, a draw isn't a disaster imo. A point of a Liverpool side resting players on Saturday won't be a bad results either. Beating Palace and Villa and avoiding defeat against Spurs, they are the big ones. That's what will keep us up.

A point on Saturday would be massive, take anything from Liverpool and think we will survive..... Just

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

The momentum is with you now and with Palace and Villa to come in 2 of your next 3 it's extremely difficult to not see you having enough to get out of trouble.

Sunderland have more points, a game in hand, a better goal difference and some perfectly winnable games left.

Too little too late from Newcastle I'm afraid.

Performances like tonight are vital if we want to keep Benitez next season IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT DIVISION we are in ... if he felt there were no improvements and the players had no interest then why would he even consider staying if we got relegated.

BUT if the team battle for points then he might think he can bring them straight back up

• Advertisement

Seannew1 wrote: »

I completely disagree with this.

Everton, Watford and Stoke may have nothing to play for but 2 of those games are away from home and an already safe Palace at home who have won 1 of their last 374 Premier League games and an already relegated Villa away are both far, far easier than anything Sunderland (and Norwich) have remaining. Liverpool also have nothing to play for and will most likely significantly rest players too so it's not the game to fear that it would have been a couple of months ago.

It's Newcastle (by a distance), Sunderland and Norwich in that order for me in terms of best run-in. But even if you flipped them around and gave Newcastle Norwich's games, I'd still expect Newcastle to stay up the way they're playing and the ever increasing impact Benitez is having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Sunderland have more points, a game in hand, a better goal difference and some perfectly winnable games left.

Too little too late from Newcastle I'm afraid.

Sunderland's game in hand is against Arsenal - who, after drawing with Palace at the Emirates and seeing City drop 2 points tonight, will be keen to shore up their Top 4 spot.

It's at the Stadium of Light giving SUN a big advantage, and if they do manage to win, then in reality they probably deserve to stay in the Premier League.

I regard tonight as a point gained for sure. Defensively, we are so much better. Shape is far better, communication is good - and the back four moves in tandem at most times, held a very good line for most of tonight.

Next up is Liverpool away for us - hopefully we can keep it tight and maybe get something on the counter. Pool will have 1 eye on their away fixture against Villareal 5 days later too, so we can only hope.

Imperative that we beat Palace & Villa to give ourselves any chance of staying up. I wish I could say it'll happen for definite, but we can only hope.

Tonights draw, and the Swansea win previous can only help confidence.

It'll all come down to whether Norwich/Sunderland can win enough games to stave off the threat. We're certainly in trouble - but it looks a tad better for us now.

I certainly wouldn't want to have to play Spurs on the final day of the season with them needing a win for the title and us a result to stay up. Pochettino doesn't deserve the heartbreak :pac:

Anyway, onwards and upwards. In Rafa We Trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

cadete wrote: »
    A point on Saturday would be massive, take anything from Liverpool and think we will survive..... Just

Obviously Liverpool have the derby tomorrow so will have a strong team out. And the Europa semi-final next week which will see the strongest side out again. So definitely a good chance that Klopp will pick a lot of the kids at the weekend. Then again he picked a lot of them last weekend and they won down in Bournemouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That's a good result tonight, we would have taken the had an' all off you if offered a draw before kick off.
    Still could do with a result at Anfield on Saturday but at least our tails are up and Liverpool will most definitely have an eye on Europe.
    Palace and Villa are the big ones though, whether we stay up or go down will be based on how we do in those. We're still fairly dependant on Norwich and Sunderland slipping up and I can see them getting a few more points here and there.

It would be in our best interests to hope Leicester win their next game or two to ensure Spurs aren't going into the last day looking for a win for the title. They won't really have anything to play for if Leicester wrap up the league the week before and will likely be drained and deflated after a big title push that just fell short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

That was one of the most enjoyable NUFC game I've seen in a long time! I felt we could have got 3 points so disappointed, but would easily have taken a draw if offered. I still think Sissoko is sh1te though! If he's not stumbling or falling over, he's giving the ball away too easily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

chewed wrote: »
    I still think Sissoko is sh1te though! If he's not stumbling or falling over, he's giving the ball away too easily!

I would have forgiven all if he had buried that chance he had on the break! He's strong as an ox when running with ball at feet. Would love to get something out of the game on Sat. Have a terrible vision of a smirking Pardew after our game against palace, or a smirking Allardyce after Sunderland survive. Hopefully neither situation comes to pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Tiote was immense last night. Been too long since we've seen him play like that. Credit to the centre-halfs also.

There is some difference though in this side now, from since Rafa's first few games. Movement off the ball is much better and the players are starting to come around to his gameplan/tactics.

Cisse is offering nothing though. I know Rafa likes to have Mitro to come on after an hour, but we need more from up top. I'd rather see Perez up top. Such a pity Doumbia hasn't worked out.

Slowly but surely players are being de-pardewed :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Great performance last night. It still begs the question as to why we didn't get him in a month earlier than we did.

It's been a long time since we've had a manager who isn't afraid to drop underperforming players and it's working. Finally!!

Sissoko has improved the last 2 games. Wouldn't be hard but maybe it's a mental thing with him. Giving him the captaincy, as odd as it may be, could be a very shrewd move from Rafa.

Gives him a sense of being wanted and made to feel important.

Anita was excellent and right now I wouldn't change anything about that back 4. Lascelles has really impressed me on and off the pitch. There's a future captain right there. Amazing that it was him of all people to come out and say what he said.

Some home truths should be encouraged in the dressing room.

It's good to see that Rafa's tactics and game plans seem to be having an effect on the players and it's showing. When you have a mentally strong manager, it can't help but fill players heads with a stronger mentality.

Under McClaren we'd have folded having gone a goal down last night.

It's the hope that kills you sometimes but we look to be getting it together when it matters the most.

I completely disagree with this.

Everton, Watford and Stoke may have nothing to play for but 2 of those games are away from home and an already safe Palace at home who have won 1 of their last 374 Premier League games and an already relegated Villa away are both far, far easier than anything Sunderland (and Norwich) have remaining. Liverpool also have nothing to play for and will most likely significantly rest players too so it's not the game to fear that it would have been a couple of months ago.

It's Newcastle (by a distance), Sunderland and Norwich in that order for me in terms of best run-in. But even if you flipped them around and gave Newcastle Norwich's games, I'd still expect Newcastle to stay up the way they're playing and the ever increasing impact Benitez is having.

I'd sooner take Sunderland's position; they have more points, have a good in hand and have Everton, Stoke and Arsenal to play, games that should easily yield 7 points at least.

Spineless dross

Chalk and cheese, very good 20 mins post half time, took klopp a whole to sort it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Went for a spin at 0-2 down, absolutely fed up.

Get home and it's 2-2.

What the **** lads :pac::pac:

Seven points in our last three just might be enough.

Get home and it's 2-2.

Hmmm will it though? I have a feeling Sunderland are going to win tomorrow which is 4 points plus a game in hand over us? Anyway, I still feel it was a major opportunity missed against City the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Get home and it's 2-2.

If this is the trend of how the rest of the season goes, you can go for a spin more often my friend. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement