Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

TaosHum wrote: »
    I can't see us holding onto Townsend, he has been too good over the recent games to be ignored.

Perez looked uninterested this season and will push for a move I reckon. Back to Spain would be my guess.

It's hard to say with Mitrovic. Hasn't proven himself as a goal scorer so I don't see many teams lining up for him. But some might like his hunger and attitude and could take a punt on him if the price is right.

Nobody will take Shelvey with his wages.

The thing about this side and the one that got relegated the last time is that there was a strong core of players who were willing to get stuck in and fight for the club. Barton, Nolan, Carroll, Krul, Enrique and Smith was a strong core of players. Even Colo and Taylor were good that season.

I don't see that in this side.

Mitro has the same goals assists ratio as Martial, who is supposedly a 50million pound player and the next coming of Henry. Mitro just needs to be given game time, he puts himself about and gets in the right positions, and works hard, the goals will come, he is only 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd keep the following

Elliot
    Mbemba (very doubtful)
    Lascelles (future captain for sure - knows the Championship)
    Dummett (more out of 'who else do we have?' more than anything)
    Towsend (very doubtful)
    Shelvey (he may be the type of player we need to push on a bit)
    Mitro (I think he could thrive in the Championship)

That's it lads. I'm sure we'll still have the likes of Aarons, Armstrong, Mbabu, Darlow etc but those are the only ones I want at the club to build around.

Townsend and Mbemba will be very hard to keep though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Anita to his credit has done well since being moved to right back. I'd like to see him still here next season if possible.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Anita to his credit has done well since being moved to right back. I'd like to see him still here next season if possible.

He's still barely premiership standard, he'd do a job next year, but we really should be looking to solidify the backline, between himself and Sissoko it was one way traffic more often than not.

Paully D wrote: »
    It's not a dig before anyone says it, but Newcastle were comfortably one of the highest spenders in Europe this season with over £75m spent. Crazy.

Pissed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

He's still barely premiership standard, he'd do a job next year, but we really should be looking to solidify the backline, between himself and Sissoko it was one way traffic more often than not.

in Fairness, best think to happen newcastle was Janmatt getting injured, his positioning is terrible (he should be the first out the door in my opinion) , anita brought a better balance i thought,the last 5 games as that back 4 we have conceded 3 goals ( 2 liverpool 1 city) which is decent for newcastle. if we can hold onto those 4 with mbabu, Heidara Satka,Taylor,Good(if he is still around). defense seems ok, its after that i struggle to see who will stay or go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Are we going to keep benitez?

Next thing we'll end up with martinez :(

fitzparker wrote: »
    in Fairness, best think to happen newcastle was Janmatt getting injured, his positioning is terrible (he should be the first out the door in my opinion) , anita brought a better balance i thought,the last 5 games as that back 4 we have conceded 3 goals ( 2 liverpool 1 city) which is decent for newcastle. if we can hold onto those 4 with mbabu, Heidara Satka,Taylor,Good(if he is still around). defense seems ok, its after that i struggle to see who will stay or go.

I agree with most of what you say but Steven Taylor should not be allowed anywhere near a Newcastle jersey again.

The guy is well passed his best. Whatever about him being a local lad and playing with his heart on his sleeve, he's the most brainless defender we've got.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you say but Steven Taylor should not be allowed anywhere near a Newcastle jersey again.

The guy is well passed his best. Whatever about him being a local lad and playing with his heart on his sleeve, he's the most brainless defender we've got.

Its amazing how he has gotten worse, physically, mentally, technically, everything. He's only 30, yet he was better as a twenty year old, bizarre, its not recent either, he has been shot for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pissed away.

The vast majority of those signings I thought would prove to be very good. Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, Mbemba, Shelvey, Townsend, Thauvin. There wouldn't have been any Premier League clubs at our level who would have refused that haul in the summer.

I suppose the main thing that stands out there is that only one is a defender and it doesn't need the benefit of hindsight to say that recruitment for the defence was seriously neglected and going to be a problem, although I did think the attacking options would have made up for it.

As you said though, it has been pissed away now alright.

Any of you gonna put yourselves through watching this today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm hoping we do our usual jinks against Spurs and screw them over for a place ahead of Arsenal..I get to slag a couple of mate then.
    On the other hand it is good to see different teams in the mix and so I'd like to see Spurs finish second for that reason..still get to slag the arsenal mates then :)

Blazer wrote: »
    I'm hoping we do our usual jinks against Spurs and screw them over for a place ahead of Arsenal..I get to slag a couple of mate then.
    On the other hand it is good to see different teams in the mix and so I'd like to see Spurs finish second for that reason..still get to slag the arsenal mates then :)

You're hardly in a position to slag another club given our relegation. ;)

Last PL game long long time i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You're hardly in a position to slag another club given our relegation. ;)

doesnt' stop me though :)

• Advertisement

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Last PL game long long time i reckon

Nah, clear out the squad, get what you can, buy in good pro's and we should bounce back. The only danger is MA not investing and/or not giving the go ahead to clear out the squad. Its not a squad built for the championship.

Aye, last PL game for awhile and like to see reaction of the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Hope everyone gets behind Rafa and the team today, I don't see Rafa staying but if the atmosphere is good enough you never know.

Rafa and one season in the championship is better than another relegation battle under McLaren/some other witless yes-man, IMO. There is just absolutely no way Newcastle don't walk the championship if Rafa does stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

martyos121 wrote: »
    Hope everyone gets behind Rafa and the team today, I don't see Rafa staying but if the atmosphere is good enough you never know.

Rafa and one season in the championship is better than another relegation battle under McLaren/some other witless yes-man, IMO. There is just absolutely no way Newcastle don't walk the championship if Rafa does stay.

If he gets a better, more suitable offer then he's away. If he doesn't, he'll stay, but PR wise it'll be spun that it was because of the fans and he fell in love with the club etc.

It would be very interesting to see how he does in the Championship. It's a completely different type of challenge compared to the Premier League and it has been a long time since he has managed at that sort of level. It's his 5th job in 6 years after managing Inter, Chelsea, Napoli and Real Madrid. Will he have that fight or fire left to slog it out down there if the going gets tough? You'd be rightly favourites of course (and will be no matter who is in charge) but it's far from a guarantee that you'll walk it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

yous are all over us lads missing a great display from a toon POV. setanta sports 1 live

2 nil mitro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I know Spurs don't look too up for it for some reason, but Newcastle are playing some nice football. Probably just confirms that if he had have gotten more time things would be much different, which is not much consolation for the fans.

So today Everton manage a performance as do we and sunderland arent managing a win yet either ... what could have been...

2-1 mitro red for trying to break walkers leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

If Spurs really had to win today this would be different. It's annoying as fcuk that it's 3 points when it's all over.
    Still a win is a win if it stays like this. Roll on burton Albion

Lovely goal Aarons, he'll be a big player next season I'd say.

Great way to end an awful season, nice to hear the fans enjoying it, they really deserve a performance like this for standing by the team.

5! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Thank god that seasons over, as usual we never fail to amaze! Hope to never see some of that shower in a black and white shirt again, cisse colo and sissoko mainly, hopefully the deadwood can be shipped out and Rafa stays and is given whatever he needs to get us back up and get into the top 8 again

Last match before a transfer window ... must be so much easier to perform to an decent level...

• Advertisement

Never been so pissed off with a win in my life. Just... yeah.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Last match before a transfer window ... must be so much easier to perform to an decent level...

Take the positives, it'll make offloading them easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Was at the game and it wasn't that we were good it's that spurs were very poor. No midfield. Aarons positioning was terrible for example. Great atmosphere for such a nothing game.

Was at the game myself, spurs went 1 at the back for 20 minutes, more of a game where Spurs were crap and Newcastle caught them on the break numerous times.

on the flip side the support was the best iv ever been at, I was expecting hostility but the atmosphere was unreal

fitzparker wrote: »
    Was at the game myself, spurs went 1 at the back for 20 minutes, more of a game where Spurs were crap and Newcastle caught them on the break numerous times.

on the flip side the support was the best iv ever been at, I was expecting hostility but the atmosphere was unreal

Really hope it plays a part in Rafa staying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'll believe it when I see it.

Discussions have gone well supposedly and Carr is going to be shown the door.

Part of me thinks it's all a smokescreen, Rafa will be gone, the three stooges will remain and Neil Warnock will be in charge in August.

Moneymaker wrote: »

Part of me thinks it's all a smokescreen, Rafa will be gone, the three stooges will remain and Neil Warnock will be in charge in August.
    I dont think rafa will be a lame duck like mclaren tho, if he thinks ashley is playing him he's gone

Moneymaker wrote: »

Of that opinion also. Still plenty of time for Ashley to **** this up.

But, in saying that, even he must be starting to realise the way Newcastle has been ran since he took over has been a disaster and hasn't worked.

When we went down in 09, Ashley didn't even engage with Shearer when it came to preparing for the Championship. This time he's talking with Rafa a day after the final game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

This pretty much sums up the season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

It was mentioned by a reporter that discussions have been going well and they have been discussing things such as budget and potential signings (obviously all on the assumption that if he was to stay on).

It got me thinking; what players could we potentially be looking at? Would it be a case of raiding the likes of Norwich, Brighton, Derby, the losers of Wednesday/Hull for their better players? I know that may come across as a bit arrogant to suggest everyone and anyone would want to join us but assuming Rafa stayed on, I think it would be fair to say players from those clubs would be interested to work under Rafa at NUFC.
    I'd be sure the Rafa factor would sway a lot of decisions, even if a player could choose between ourselves and Villa they may be more inclined to go for us. It wouldn't be an unreasonable statement to say we'd be the most "attractive" ticket in town in terms of club size, fanbase and chances of going straight back up to the PL.

Haven't followed the Championship at all this season so I'm not familiar with players from those teams (and indeed the rest of the Championship) who are rated and who we could look at.

Like yourself, I haven't seen that much of the Championship this season, but judging lads on what I've seen of them in an Irish shirt, lads like Richard Keogh and Jeff Hendrick would be solid additions. Shane Duffy at Blackburn would be another one.

I'd love to see us go after Alan Judge, who really should be playing at a higher level. He's exactly what we are missing in midfield at the moment and has proved he can do it at this level.

from championship pickings I would go for

Alan Judge (brentford), Will Hughes (Derby), Bannon (Sheffield Wednesday)

I've seen Will Hughes a few times. Thought he was bang average at best. It could be possible that I've seen him at the wrong times but I dunno.

We need a striker who can score goals in the Championship. David Nugent? Not a luxury signing by any stretch but he knows where the goal is.

31 years old though and it all depends on whether or not Boro want him next season.

I've seen Will Hughes a few times. Thought he was bang average at best. It could be possible that I've seen him at the wrong times but I dunno.

We need a striker who can score goals in the Championship. David Nugent? Not a luxury signing by any stretch but he knows where the goal is.

31 years old though and it all depends on whether or not Boro want him next season.

Mitro and Perez are good enough for the championship, a back up striker and a back four and a heap of midfielders are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Mitro and Perez are good enough for the championship, a back up striker and a back four and a heap of midfielders are needed.

I was going to say Mitrovic will find it harder not to find form in the Championship, made for it.

Danny Graham went to Blackburn and started scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

From an Irish viewpoint I'd love us to have a go at getting Robbie Brady but I think he could well be on his way back to the premier league, especially if he has a good euros.

Apart from that, maybe Cyrus Christie.

All up in the air right now but Perez won't be staying. And to be honest, given his lack of effort in the latter months, I probably wouldn't be too sad to see the back of him.

I agree that he'd fit right in with us in the Championship but I can't see him staying at all.

Mitro and Adam Armstrong will be the strike partnership at some stage I think and to be honest, that's a duo I can get excited about.

I'd be the same on Perez. Would say he wants out.

Either Moussa Dembele or Ross McCormack from Fulham would be worth a look at also in terms of attacking options.

I think the last time around we had more senior players and the likes of Carrol who were willing to stay and fight due to the security of being at a 'big' club' and being almost guaranteed a direct bounce back or the fact of just being local.

This time around ... a lot younger squad or players in the middle of a career ... much more likely to leave in my opinion...

Just get Rafa signed so he can start talking with all the lads and give them his vision

All up in the air right now but Perez won't be staying. And to be honest, given his lack of effort in the latter months, I probably wouldn't be too sad to see the back of him.

I agree that he'd fit right in with us in the Championship but I can't see him staying at all.

Mitro and Adam Armstrong will be the strike partnership at some stage I think and to be honest, that's a duo I can get excited about.

Perez wasnt being picked or played on the left as a sub, whilst Papiss Cisse was picked in front of him, if I had Cisse being picked in front of me I'd be pissed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement