Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

So McClown has been knocked back for the Rotherham job.

Yet we somehow employed him.

Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Moneymaker wrote: »
    So McClown has been knocked back for the Rotherham job.

Yet we somehow employed him.

Nuff said.

I didn't like McClaren and to be honest, he was right to take the job even if the world and its dog could see he was past it.

Big Premier League club (*sniff*), big fanbase. He wasn't going to refuse that job.

Nothing we can do about it now unfortunately.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Benitez staying. Good news for yee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Holy sh!t ... i had hoped, wished he would stay ... but didnt really believe he would!

I assume that means Carr is deffo gone ... how bout Charney?!

Oddly, relegation doesnt seem such an ordeal knowing Rafa will be in (full)control next season

Some good news at least. Surely this makes us a somewhat attractive club for potential recruits.

It may not be a club in the Premier League but it has a big fanbase and a world class manager at its disposal.

Hopefully now this marks the start of wholesale changes at the club. Charnley deserves credit for managing to retain his services and I think Ashley will look at this as a major coup given where we're at and keep him on.

That said, he has been culpable of complete and utter failure during his time as MD. Whatever about Charnley going, it's hard not to get excited about what we could achieve next season under Rafa.

I hope that we can start the recruiting process right away and blood new players before and during pre-season instead of leaving it late and starting slowly out of the traps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great coup for Newcastle to keep hold of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Happy to see him stay. Think that could well be the difference between a complete capitulation, and a swift return to the Premiership.

Hopefully he hits up Liverpool to loan a few of the brighter young lights. Beneficial for all involved.

Ive a 6yr old singing "im glad that you stayed, im glad that you staaaayed, RAFA BENITEZ, im glad that you stayed" all evening!

Love it!

I've never been so optimistic ahead of a new season with Newcastle in years.... even if we are in the Championship.

I'll certainly be booking a few flights for a heap of games next season. Taking my dad over for the Leeds game (he's a fan of theirs but would rather go on the beer in Newcastle than "in that other kip of a place".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Happy to see him stay. Think that could well be the difference between a complete capitulation, and a swift return to the Premiership.

Hopefully he hits up Liverpool to loan a few of the brighter young lights. Beneficial for all involved.

Klopp doesn't really do loans though, he likes to keep young players around in case of injuries and to give them a chance to break through into the senior squad. All in all, it's worked pretty well for him so far in his managerial career. Both clubs would benefit from Ibe being sold to Newcastle though, he's proven at championship level with Derby and clearly not good enough for Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Assuming Rafa can get his feet under him quickly in the Championship the next few years should be interesting. Gonna be tough to build a side from near scratch for next season while keeping an eye on 17/18 on the assumption yous will get straight back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

martyos121 wrote: »
    Klopp doesn't really do loans though, he likes to keep young players around in case of injuries and to give them a chance to break through into the senior squad. All in all, it's worked pretty well for him so far in his managerial career. Both clubs would benefit from Ibe being sold to Newcastle though, he's proven at championship level with Derby and clearly not good enough for Liverpool.

There's an in-between...he doesn't believe in shipping out the whole lot of them, as was the case last year, but in letting them have a loan spell when the time is right to get first team minutes. As with all things, horses for courses. (Otherwise we'd have had a squad around Melwood of 50+ players last season, obviously way too much).

Fewer loans, of course, but there will still be some, and Newcastle are the perfect recipient.

Icaras wrote: »

The guy is a class act. A manager with a philosophy that is seriously getting me excited about Newcastle United once again.

A tactically sound manager who seems like a very genuine and likable guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

going to be hard for him to attract the players he wants straight away though.

i reckon its a series of team building jobs there he will need to find a way to get through to Shelvey etc. to motivate them and they should have plenty to get them up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Terrible news, Cisse wants to stay for the final year of his deal, and Benitez likes him....

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/05/27/papiss-cisse-promises-to-stay-at-newcastle-united/

Terrible news, Cisse wants to stay for the final year of his deal, and Benitez likes him....

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/05/27/papiss-cisse-promises-to-stay-at-newcastle-united/

Rafa out!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Confirmed for a week of training in Carton house 9th -16th July.

no friendly announced yet

fitzparker wrote: »
    Confirmed for a week of training in Carton house 9th -16th July.

no friendly announced yet

Bohs or Rovers you'd imagine. Dunno what I'd do with myself if it ends up being the former. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

So "Captain" Coloccni wants out to Argentina again.

Tear up his contract and send him packing. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

McClown retaining him(and the captaincy) was one of the worst errors in judgement made by this club in a long time. And that's covering an awful lot of ground.

Colo is way past his best and it is staggering that he had so much sway in the club.

Himself, S Taylor, Sissoko, Gouffran, Cisse, Janmaat and Colback can go. They offer nothing to the club imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

We need two center halves, no matter what, Mbemba is great in a limited role, but you need someone beside him, in addition to back up.

We need two center halves, no matter what, Mbemba is great in a limited role, but you need someone beside him, in addition to back up.

Lascelles?

Bohs v Newcastle confirmed for Saturday 16th July in Dalymount Park....

Well... do I wear my Bohs jersey and bring a Newcastle scarf??

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

That_Guy wrote: »

Beer belly in the wind with body paint half and half (I thought this was the obvious option).

• Advertisement

Icaras wrote: »
    Beer belly in the wind with body paint half and half (I thought this was the obvious option).

If I wear a Bohs jersey I'm covered for the half and half jersey... ish...

Black on both sides. Red on Bohs' side. Be grand. ;)

Is it gonna be hard to get tickets for this? Wanna take the small lad to it.

First team coach Fabio Pecchia is off to Hellas Verona as their new manager. He was one of Rafa's team who joined along with him back in March. Wonder if they'll promote somebody now or will Rafa bring in one of his own? Either way, it's probably not that big of a deal.

• martyos121 wrote: »
    First team coach Fabio Pecchia is off to Hellas Verona as their new manager. He was one of Rafa's team who joined along with him back in March. Wonder if they'll promote somebody now or will Rafa bring in one of his own? Either way, it's probably not that big of a deal.

Was he always benitezs first choice? Sounds to me that the Newcastle board are coping on. They had best let the manager make such a decision IMO

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Was he always benitezs first choice? Sounds to me that the Newcastle board are coping on. They had best let the manager make such a decision IMO

He was part of his team at both Napoli and Real Madrid anyways AFAIK so I'd imagine he rates him fairly highly. Rafa's always had some good assistant coaches (Pako, Sammy) but I'm not sure about this guy tbh. Joining a team that just got relegated from Serie A is a bold move for a first step into full management.

• Advertisement

• martyos121 wrote: »
    He was part of his team at both Napoli and Real Madrid anyways AFAIK so I'd imagine he rates him fairly highly. Rafa's always had some good assistant coaches (Pako, Sammy) but I'm not sure about this guy tbh. Joining a team that just got relegated from Serie A is a bold move for a first step into full management.
    I would kind of agree but I think he is better off starting at Serie B and learn his trade unless the expectancy is that he needs to get promotion back to Serie A next season. Sounds likes he's got enough of experience as assistant at this stage.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I would kind of agree but I think he is better off starting at Serie B and learn his trade unless the expectancy is that he needs to get promotion back to Serie A next season. Sounds likes he's got enough of experience as assistant at this stage.

Yeah that's a fair point, I also didn't realise he actually was a full manager before at Latina (Serie B club). Brought them up to that division in his first and only season there so it looks like he'll be able to manage just fine.

I'd certainly hope Newcastle bring in someone equally as good if not better to replace him because it sounds like Rafa thought very highly of him. Joining Rafa up with Sammy Lee again would be great for the club but I certainly don't see him leaving Southampton.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Is it gonna be hard to get tickets for this? Wanna take the small lad to it.

I wouldn't have thought so.

We play Shamrock Rovers out in Tallaght the night before. Fans heading out to that game probably won't be bothered with the friendly the next day particularly as the kick off is set for 2pm.

It'll be a second string Bohs squad mixed in with the U-19's I'd say.

You'll be grand getting a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I'm wearing my Dundalk jersey and black and white scarf :pac:

Duff wrote: »
    I'm wearing my Dundalk jersey and black and white scarf :pac:

I will make sure you don't get in just for that. ;)

Might be a good opportunity for a few pints in the Dalymount bars beforehand. What say ye gents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

Steven Taylor released

matrixf wrote: »
    Steven Taylor released

Certainly wore his heart on his sleeve but one of the most brainless defenders towards the end of his time with us.

Way past his best and ultimately nowhere near good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I remember going to Bray Newcastle in 2005 and the game against Shelbourne in 2009 but can't for the life of me remember how i secured tickets; are you lads doing it through Bohs??

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I remember going to Bray Newcastle in 2005 and the game against Shelbourne in 2009 but can't for the life of me remember how i secured tickets; are you lads doing it through Bohs??

Just head up on the day and buy your tickets at the gate. You won't need to prebook unless there's an arrangement to do so.

It might be the most high profile friendly we've had in a while but you'll have no problems getting tickets.

Quiet in this thread considering the Champo fixtures were announced.

August fixtures.

Fri 5 Fulham (a)
    Sat 13 Huddersfield Town (h)
    Wed 17 Reading (h)
    Sat 20 Bristol City (a)
    w/c Mon 22 LC2 (?)
    Sat 27 Brighton and Hove Albion (h)

That Fulham game is live on Sky of a Friday night.

I've booked flights to the Huddersfield game. Saturday morning over, Sunday night back. Think it cost about €43 or something like that.

Not too shabby.

• Advertisement

Should be taking 10 points minimum from those opening five games to set the tone for the season, would be nice to see a decent cup run too but the only priority this season should obviously be automatic promotion from 1st or 2nd place.

At least there'll be plenty more Newcastle games on the telly this year, whether that's a good thing or not I'm not sure. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Any transfer talk in or out? There's a lot of deadwood still hanging around? I saw Krul was rumoured to be off which would be fine with me as he's always injured which is bizzare for a goalie

Any transfer talk in or out? There's a lot of deadwood still hanging around? I saw Krul was rumoured to be off which would be fine with me as he's always injured which is bizzare for a goalie

Reece Oxford on a season-long loan is the main one so far but some big clubs want to buy him outright. Would be a nice bit of business if they could get it done though, the kid looks great.

Reece Oxford on a season-long loan is the main one so far but some big clubs want to buy him outright. Would be a nice bit of business if they could get it done though, the kid looks great.

Certainly potential there. Very raw and very young though. That being said, he'd get a lot of chances in our team next season and under Rafa, he could really shine.

Not saying Bilic is a bad manager but there's no way he'd stake a claim ahead of their current midfield as it stands.

Would be worth a punt if we could get him in.

Certainly potential there. Very raw and very young though. That being said, he'd get a lot of chances in our team next season and under Rafa, he could really shine.

Not saying Bilic is a bad manager but there's no way he'd stake a claim ahead of their current midfield as it stands.

Would be worth a punt if we could get him in.

Think they had him playing centre half more recently but remembering the way he absolutely bossed the midfield in the Arsenal game last August, I'd say he's as good in either position.

Seems like a beneficial move for all parties; Newcastle get a talented defensive midfielder/centre half for a season, Oxford gets plenty of experience in a tough league and West Ham almost certainly get a better player next year after a season of learning from Rafa Benitez.

Despite all that, they'll probably sell him to the highest bidder and see him sold for double what they got in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

They're signing Dwight gale for 8.5 addons possible upon promotiin. I think thay's a dumb deal. I like gale's pace but the money is crazy, he's not a starter for them.. Why pay so much? Feel we have been conned there.

Saw in on the guardian. Can't link on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

He might not have been able to hold down a regular spot for Palace, but he was there top scorer in all competitions the past three seasons. Only started less than 30 games for Palace and scored 17, so he will get goals.

Has something we really lacked last season, in that he has some pace about him.

Should work out as a straight swap since Townsend seems to be going to Palace for the same money.

Should work out as a straight swap since Townsend seems to be going to Palace for the same money.

Towsends release clause is meant to be 13m tho.

We now need to replace townsend in midfield

Upside .... cisse can leave?!

• Advertisement

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Towsends release clause is meant to be 13m tho.

We now need to replace townsend in midfield

Upside .... cisse can leave?!

Wow, thought it was only 8.5m for some reason, 13 isn't as hard to swallow.

Hope Cisse does leave too, but Rafa seems to like him for some reason.

Advertisement