Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

martyos121 wrote: »
    Wow, thought it was only 8.5m for some reason, 13 isn't as hard to swallow.

Hope Cisse does leave too, but Rafa seems to like him for some reason.

Rafa might like him less now he has Gayle, mitro, armstrong and perez for up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Rafa might like him less now he has Gayle, mitro, armstrong and perez for up front

Hopefully, can't imagine both Mitro and Ayoze would stay though, I'd love to be wrong about that.

Armstrong should break through this year I hope, always rated him and he looked great out on loan.

Matt Ritchie being linked now for £13m. I think that fee is a bit high but I do rate him, probably has one of the most powerful shots in the game too for what it's worth.

Would be good signing but a little on the expensive side for a championship team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Both Gayle and Ritchie are canny signings for the Championship, especially Ritchie. However, Newcastle's issue has never been attacking wide players or forwards.

The problem for years now has been the defence, yet there's going to be over £20m spent on an attacking winger and a striker. Obviously it won't be the end of the spending, but based on what we know as of now, that money could be invested more wisely IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

We only scored 44 goals in 38 games last year so we do need a reshuffle in attack. Defence was woeful as well so id say it'll be a busy transfer window��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

To be fair Paully, it's a long way to go until the start of the season and we're lucky to have any signings at all before we go out on pre-season. It's extremely rare that we actually have some new faces at this stage.

The market is inflated but I'm honestly not worried regards defensive players coming in. We've brought Matz Sels in from Gent (GK) so I'm sure there'll be a few defenders coming along with him in the very near future. There has to be.

Mbemba and Lascelles (should they stay) must be the starting pairing. It's cover that has killed us over the years so here's hoping for good news soon.

Seems Palace have triggered Townsends release clause by offering 13.5m...

Be interesting to see from Cisse, Tiote, Wijnadum, Shelvey, Sissoko, Perez, Mitro, Mbemba, Janmaat, Anita, Krul, de Jong, Haidara ... who will stay.

You have to assume that with Sels arriving Krul is gone, I would go as far as saying that Elliot should be sold to, Darlow and Woodman should be enough cover.

IF we can hold on to Perez, Mitro, Mbemba, Lascalles, Dummet, Aarons, Armstrong, mbabu, haidara, maybe shelvey and wijnadlum I reckon the fees received for the other should give Rafa enough funds to build up the remainder of a pretty strong squad.

However, I think Shelvey has to have one of these pretty low release clauses (similar to Townsend) so I cant see him hanging around. Wijnaldum (I think) still hasnt stated he wants t remain at the club, so might be hard to keep him.

Cisse, Tiote, Rivierre, Sissoko ... all need to be gone

I would like to see Saivet given a chance too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I think by the time September rolls 'round, Newcastle will probably have broken even on transfer fees and lowered their wage bill.

I'd imagine that's what was agreed between Rafa and Charnley. The money generated from players going out can be spent on new players. The players I'd expect to leave would be (not including Townsend & Colo):

Sissoko
    Winaldum
    Krul
    Cisse
    Tiote
    Cabella
    Thauvin

While Mitro has impressed, I don't think PL clubs will be willing to put up the money for a player who is capable of losing the plot at any moment. A season in the Championship might be the best thing for him.

Shelvey is on alot of money and I can't see many clubs willing to match it based on his performances last season. I can't see too many takers for Elliot considering he is coming off a serious injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Sad for Andros going but was always gonna happen with a release clause and the lure back to london.

not sure why a keeper was signed, if Krul goes we have elliot and darlow still.
    I would get rid of Darlow quicker than Elliot, I think this is a really important season and Elliot can handle the pressure better as an experienced Player in the squad.

we might get at least £5m for Krul.

Sissoko is going in every interview he has given so far so we can get about £10 for him.
    supposedly Marseille have agreed 7m for Cabella because of amount of games played.

Wijnaldum can hopefully go on loan and if we go up we can get him back (like what QPR did a few years back with players i.e. Remy) if he does go i think De jong can play in that "10" role

Thauvain could do something for us this season but doesn't look settled with newcastle so he will be gone.

looking forward to Armstrong hopefully getting a run out, get rid of Cisse then.

as said above if we can break even while still signing players in the correct position we are doing well, so far it look's good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

Rit
    chie signed
    0,,10278~14697780,00.jpg

CmR5XPfWYAABgfl.jpg

In other news Ben arfa has signed for some club in France!

• Advertisement

The change in transfer policy very notable. Moving away from French & Dutch imports and instead going with British players with Premiership experience.

I'm happy with those signings and I'd be confident of some defensive recruits coming in the next week.

Take away the dead wood and we're left with a hungry looking side who'll graft their bollocks off.

I think we're severely lacking in depth for what is going to be a long campaign but I'm hopeful that we'll take full advantage of the loan system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think Gayle has the potential to do very well for Newcastle in the championship.

Always felt he could have been a star for Palace had he nailed down a regular starting position and got an extended run in the team.

Guys,

with the Bohs game being at Dalymount park ... what will the ticket situation be like?

I'm looking to take my 6yr old to this but will be traveling from Cork. I dont want to end up making that journey only to find there are no tickets left at the gate.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Guys,

with the Bohs game being at Dalymount park ... what will the ticket situation be like?

I'm looking to take my 6yr old to this but will be traveling from Cork. I dont want to end up making that journey only to find there are no tickets left at the gate.

Thanks

You can buy tickets online

https://secure.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/30797/bohemian-fc-v-newcastle-united-fc-dalymount-park-16-July-2016

You'll get tickets no bother. Newcastle do have an allocation of tickets but like I say, we're playing Shamrock Rovers away the night before and it's highly unlikely you'll get people willing to fork out €30 for 2 games in two days. Coupled with travel costs and pints, there won't necessarily be a big home crowd there.

Just rock up on the day and you'll be able to sit in the Jodi Stand without any bother.

I'm still on the fence as to which jersey I should wear that day. :pac:

Might just bring my scarf and swap it with someone. Save me having to fork out on a Newcastle one when I head over there next month for the Huddersfield game. :pac:

Colo gone anyway. Wrote an open letter. I'm sure it must have been pretty isolating and what not having been away from home etc but jesus, the chap just completely downed tools and went AWOL for us.

For two seasons he looked absolutely world class but he just gave up when the going got tough. Captain material indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

That_Guy wrote: »
    Colo gone anyway. Wrote an open letter. I'm sure it must have been pretty isolating and what not having been away from home etc but jesus, the chap just completely downed tools and went AWOL for us.

For two seasons he looked absolutely world class but he just gave up when the going got tough. Captain material indeed.
    I felt he either played very well or very badly, no in between and more the latter over the past two seasons. No real loss with him going.

Jesus Gamez of Atletico having a medical at Newcastle. Another very shrewd bit of business, never really broke into the starting XI at Atletico but he can't be a bad defender if he's trained under Simeone for a couple of seasons.

Actual experienced defenders!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Hanley supposedly in the pipeline too.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

some good signings , center back needed next then its probably replacing who ever is sold. cant see sissoko staying but should get a bigger fee now hes playing in euro final

Talking £20m now for Sissoko, which would be great if Newcastle could get. I doubt anyone would have taken him for more than £10m a couple of months back, so Descheamps should get some commission if he does go for £20m. :D

At the same time, it pisses me off seeing a lad who was missing for large parts last season when he was really needed, now starting in a European Championships final for a team with so much talent in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

You'll get tickets no bother. Newcastle do have an allocation of tickets but like I say, we're playing Shamrock Rovers away the night before and it's highly unlikely you'll get people willing to fork out €30 for 2 games in two days. Coupled with travel costs and pints, there won't necessarily be a big home crowd there.

Just rock up on the day and you'll be able to sit in the Jodi Stand without any bother.

I'm still on the fence as to which jersey I should wear that day. :pac:

Might just bring my scarf and swap it with someone. Save me having to fork out on a Newcastle one when I head over there next month for the Huddersfield game. :pac:
    I'm a Newcastle fan but also a Drogheda and LOI fan. I don't feel right cheering them on against LOI teams. I remember going to that friendly against Shamrock Rovers years back and feeling the same (got pissed on as well to).

I'll probably head over still mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Hopefully sissoko bags 2 or 3 sunday and get another 5 mil for him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

Papiss cisse has signed for Chinese club, the dead wood is finally being cleared out!

Issac hayden having medical.

Very happy about the signings and departures so far!

Been living off that Chelsea goal for years, best of luck to him in China but I can't imagine any of ye will be too sorry to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Good to see a dead wood clear out.

Interesting to see will de jong and thuvain stay. Hoping so, and that thuvain will find he's feet in the Championship.

Can't see us holding onto wijnaldum. Hopefully some one terrible offers sissoko a deal abd pays well, and he doesn't get the move to a big club he's playing for.

Loved cissee as a player but delighted to see he's freed up a spot for mitrovic to start more or bring back in Armstrong

Just bumped into Scott Parker... :)

Asked em to go easy on us :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Keep playing a blinder sissoko.... his value is going up and up. No harm to give something back before the door hits you on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

luder wrote: »
    Keep playing a blinder sissoko.... his value is going up and up. No harm to give something back before the door hits you on the way out.

Hi attitude last year will not have gone unnoticed. I think this gross unprofessionalism will cost him a top club tbh

M5 wrote: »
    Hi attitude last year will not have gone unnoticed. I think this gross unprofessionalism will cost him a top club tbh

Arsenal it is so :p

Anyone fancy meeting up for a beer before the game next weekend if you're going?

Anyone fancy meeting up for a beer before the game next weekend if you're going?

I'm bringing the little fella, so not sure what the plans are yet ...

Bumped into most of the Fulham squad today ...apparently kicking hotel guests in the shins is unacceptable even if they are all wearing fulham kit so I did some mourihno style mind gaming on them for the first game instead ...

Arsenal defender Isaac Hayden to join on loan today, medical done and dusted already. Only 21 but had a decent (I'm basing that purely on the fact he got close to 20 games, he must be somewhat ok) run on loan at Hull last year in their successful bid for promotion. There's definitely some value to that with the season that's in it.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Arsenal defender Isaac Hayden to join on loan today, medical done and dusted already. Only 21 but had a decent (I'm basing that purely on the fact he got close to 20 games, he must be somewhat ok) run on loan at Hull last year in their successful bid for promotion. There's definitely some value to that with the season that's in it.

The 21-year-old, who can also play in midfield, has agreed a five-year deal at St. James' Park and has joined up with Magpies' on their training camp in Ireland

The 21-year-old, who can also play in midfield, has agreed a five-year deal at St. James' Park and has joined up with Magpies' on their training camp in Ireland

Jesus that escalated quickly! All I was hearing was a loan deal, maybe an option to buy at most.

Well, they're showing faith in the lad anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

if we can get Hanley in from Blackburn i would be happy with that. £5-6m should get it.

£15-20m for sissoko would be nice and maybe 6-7 for Cabella.

that would mean 20m to play around with for signings and dont forget we can sign up to 5 loan players in championship.

We have also freed up some big wages with the likes of marveaux,obertan,townsend,taylor,colo,cisse

im still clutching at us getting rid of wijnaldum on loan for a year and taking him back when we go back up.

How has gouffran not gone yet....

Anyone reckon Jordan Ibe is one we should go after to try and have rafa pursuade him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

13619947_1235671893110819_607202108223499822_n.jpg?oh=21226e0f469de70497c59cd7b94f8430&oe=582F10C5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Lee Ryder reporting a 35M pound price has been put on Sissoko. Can't see anyone offering near that. I'd take 20M all day.

Anyone reckon Jordan Ibe is one we should go after to try and have rafa pursuade him?

Ibe is a brainless footballer, has a little bit of ability but his decision making is horrendous. It's probably not something that's going to improve in a hurry. £15m is the going rate for him it seems (and he's probably off to Bournemouth anyway unless he gets a better offer, wherever he goes there'll be a buyback clause, but I wouldn't worry about that ever being triggered), but that'll be great business for Liverpool.

I cannot stress enough how utterly brainless he is as a footballer, but he works hard and can come up with a moment of class every now and again (maybe once every 10-15 games).

Newcastle might be a good level for him at the moment but he's been found out badly last season where he is. He has a bit of Championship experience though.

Duff wrote: »
    Lee Ryder reporting a 35M pound price has been put on Sissoko. Can't see anyone offering near that. I'd take 20M all day.

I'd like to think his attitude last season will work against when finding a move to a bigger club. He's worth a good bit but players who performed like he did last season with his ability should be left to rot on the bench for the remainder of their contract. There's nothing I hate more than seeing that lack of effort and passion.

Would be good for Newcastle to get that kind of money all the same though, and they won't turn down a good offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Agreed. He was on holiday mode the vast majority of last season and it was infuriating to see him pulling strings like he was for France in the Euros. Absolute chancer.

I'd be up for that.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I'd be up for that.

Good stuff. I'll PM you during the week pal.

This counts as a date right? :pac:

Good stuff. I'll PM you during the week pal.

This counts as a date right? :pac:

Happily single and happily straight thanks :pac::pac:

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Happily single and happily straight thanks :pac::pac:

I retract my offer.....

:pac:

Guys,

Coming from Cork ... whats the best way to get to the ground on Saturday?

Is there parking close by?

• Advertisement
Advertisement