Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

There is surely 2-3players to be got with 25m

PSV will get a big chunk of it due to a clause in his contract, hope we spend whatever is leftover on new signings

I would like to see another defender and striker/no 10 , I think Hayden could be a great signing, he looks very comfortable on the ball whether at the back or midfield, surprised arsenal let him leave permanently rather than another loan, only thing that worries me is his injury history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

D'ya know who'd I like in.... I think I might have mentioned him before here but.... David Nugent.

His Championship goals record is insane. Now, he's in his 30's yes but as a back up, I think he could be of real value to us particularly in giving advice/coaching tips to younger lads too.

Hard to know how much game time he'll get with Boro and would be a player I'd be making contact with anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That_Guy wrote: »
    D'ya know who'd I like in.... I think I might have mentioned him before here but.... David Nugent.

His Championship goals record is insane. Now, he's in his 30's yes but as a back up, I think he could be of real value to us particularly in giving advice/coaching tips to younger lads too.

Hard to know how much game time he'll get with Boro and would be a player I'd be making contact with anyway.

He's a Championship legend for sure, guaranteed goals if there was such a thing. Jordan Rhodes would've been perfect if Boro didn't go up though, he won't cut it in the PL but he'll bang them in for any Championship side, and he'd play a big part in going straight back up to the PL with the service he'd get from the likes of Shelvey and Ritchie. He wouldn't go back down though now that he's earned promotion with Boro.

More good defenders is the priority though, Gamez has filled in one hole, but there's still work to be done in the centre of defence, need another one to go along with Hanley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Lads, with Mitro, Armstrong, Perez and Gayle I dont think an FC is priority. We NEED replacements for Sissoko and Wijnaldum.

I think with Hayden, Hanley, Mbemba, Lascelles and dummet all able to cover DC, I think possibly one more there should see us good.

Anita can NOT be our first choice left back, I reckon DR and DL need strenghtening.

We need extra bodies in midfield. Aarons, Thauvin and Ritchie are good options on the wing but we are light there as we are at MC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Is Hanley any good lads? Haven't really seen or heard much of him since Blackburn were in the PL a few seasons ago. Think I remember him being linked with a few PL sides when they went down but nothing seemed to materialise which makes me suspect he's nothing too special.

Would it be fair to say we have (on paper at least) the best/strongest squad in the Championship? I haven't really kept up to date on transfer activity on the likes of Villa, Norwich and other sides who would probably be considered our closest rivals for promotion. Have they been up to much?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Is Hanley any good lads?

I think this video tells you everything you need to know about him, lol wait till him and mitro cross swords in training

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Thauvin on his way to lazio for 12m euro , barca supposed to be interested in perez as back up :(

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    Thauvin on his way to lazio for 12m euro , barca supposed to be interested in perez as back up :(

Loan move for thauvin with option to buy more likely
    Would hate to lose Perez (our best striker)

matrixf wrote: »
    Loan move for thauvin with option to buy more likely
    Would hate to lose Perez (our best striker)

Benitez hasnt given him enough minutes last season or in the friendlies for him to even consider staying if barca came knocking.

He turned down barca in 2014 apparently as they wanted to put him in their second team.

Bid for Anthony Knockaert rejected by Brighton , I think he would do well with Newcastle, hopefully we return with a better bid!

• Advertisement

We're in for Ciaran Clark.....

Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Presumably Clark is being signed as a squad player. Think he would have been 4th choice centre-back at Villa working under the assumption that Lescott has been rightly banished to the shadows.

CSF wrote: »
    Presumably Clark is being signed as a squad player. Think he would have been 4th choice centre-back at Villa working under the assumption that Lescott has been rightly banished to the shadows.

I'd imagine so. Might be his level but could spur a lot of players to up their game if they want to be part of our future... provided of course we bounce straight back.

Did I see McNair linked today also?

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Did I see McNair linked today also?

Didn't see that. Saw Diame's name mentioned though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd imagine so. Might be his level but could spur a lot of players to up their game if they want to be part of our future... provided of course we bounce straight back.
    He definitely didn't spur Lescott and Richards to up theirs thats for sure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

To Clark's credit, he has the physical tools to be a very good centre half, but he lets himself down with his decision making and positioning. Looked very promising a few years back, but the instability at Villa didn't help his progression.

I'd be hoping that under Rafa's guidance, he might start fulfilling his potential.

Mo Diame and clark signed

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    Mo Diame and clark signed

Benitez saying we're still in the market for players to "balance out the team a bit more".

He's on BBC Newcastle at the moment.

• Advertisement

Lascelles confirmed as captain. The absolute right choice.

Gayle new #9

Lascelles confirmed as captain. The absolute right choice.

Excellent!
    Gayle new #9

Think Mitro could have done with the #9 unless he is happy with his current number

Thauvin gone to marseille
    mitro might be disappointed alright , didnt he want to get 9 when he arrived? so went for 45 as 4+5 is 9

I'd have liked them to keep the #9 vacant this season. Let the two of them fight it out.

Thoughts for the starting XI tomorrow?

Thinking we might go with:
    Sels

Janmaat Lascelles Mbemba Gamez

Colback Shelvey Anita

Ritchie Perez

Gayle

Think Diame has come in too late to be considered, along with Clark. I think he will stick with the CB pairing that finished last season, as they done well together. Hayden and Aarons could easily start. Not sure on whether he has plans on Tiote sticking around.

• Advertisement

Krul

Janmaat --- Mbemba --- Lascelles --- Gamez

Shelvey

Ritchie --- Anita --- Aarons

Perez

Gayle

I think there's a nice balance to that team. We're missing a bit of creativity in the centre of the park but I think we've got some good pace going down the flanks.

I went for Shelvey over Colback because I think the former can offer us a bit of bite in that holding role and when he's in the mood he has a good range of passing to get us moving again.

I'm not sure who he'll start with in goal but I have a feeling he'll go with Krul if only to remind potential suitors that he's still alive and that bids may be welcomed for him.

;)

It's odd to see some depth in our back line for a change too.

Shame that Mitro is suspended though. He'd be a very good plan B and I think himself and Ritchie could be a great fit together. Very good crosser of the ball which is something we've lacked for a while and I hope Gayle/Perez can take the chances when they fall for them.

Most importantly though, we can't just turn up and expect to steamroll them. There's competition for places now and the players know that. Going to take some committed performances to lodge players out of their positions... at least, I hope so anyway.

I'm glad that we are resembling a competent club with fresh players before a ball is kicked and a manager that is rekindling my love for the team that got me into football in the first place.

Shame about the league we're in but I'm excited about this season.

Didn't think krul was fully fit?, sels should start v Fulham, hayden is ahead of colback imho

Interesting to see diame hasn't been given squad number yet, likely to be number 7 when sissoko leaves!
    Sels

Janmatt. Mbemba Lascelles. Dummet

Hayden

Anita.
    shelvey

Ritchie
    Perez

Gayle

matrixf wrote: »
    Didn't think krul was fully fit?, sels should start v Fulham, hayden is ahead of colback imho

Interesting to see diame hasn't been given squad number yet, likely to be number 7 when sissoko leaves!
    Sels

Janmatt. Mbemba Lascelles. Dummet

Hayden

Anita.
    shelvey

Ritchie
    Perez

Gayle

This but with Colback starting instead of Shelvey I think, and aarons to start ahead of perez

Very good interview with Rafa from Ian Holloway for anybody who hasn't seen it!
    Can't wait for game tonight, hopefully a good performance and 3 points, Fulham are no mugs though! "HAWAY THE TOON!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Fall in love with Rafa more every day. Three points tonight and start out the gate with a bang please.

• Advertisement

Confirmed starting XI:

Newcastle United (4-2-3-1): Matz Sels; Daryl Janmaat, Grant Hanley, Jamaal Lascelles (c), Paul Dummett; Isaac Hayden, Jack Colback; Vurnon Anita, Ayoze Perez, Matt Ritchie; Dwight Gayle

Substitutes: Karl Darlow, Jamie Sterry, Chancel Mbemba, Jesus Gamez, Jonjo Shelvey, Rolando Aarons, Adam Armstrong

Surprised Hayden and Hanley start tbh.

Fúcking McClaren on Sky Sports. Go away you daft man.

We look very nervous, dummet and perez have been very poor
    Still can't defend set pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fúcking McClaren on Sky Sports. Go away you daft man.

Touch tight.

Few thoughts on the first half:

- Their right back is having a bit of a mare. Unfortunately so is Perez who is equally having a bad game.

- Hayden looks ok but I think he'll be replaced sooner rather than later for Shelvey. We need someone to pick out a pass because right now we're over hitting everything.

- Ritchie has shown some nice touches but a lack of movement off the ball is limiting his options and he's not able to beat the first man on more than one occasion.

- How the ref missed that blatant handball is beyond me.

- Terrible defending from the set piece to go behind. Our players bustling into each other without any real purpose and knowledge of who's marking who.

- We're too defensive despite having a lot of possession. We're lacking anything creative.

- Gayle has held the ball up ok for the most part but he'll work off someone like Mitro a lot better. He's a passenger but our only one with the pace to get in behind at a moments notice so he needs to stay on.

- 5 debuts is a bit too much all at once. It'll take time to click but we're a bit all over the shop.

- Obviously it's just one half in a multitude of games but not one shot on/off target is slightly concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You really would expect a Benitez team to be better drilled than this.

Ritchie close.

Pressure ramping up now.

How are Anita or Colback starting ahead of Shelvey? Passes on him are unreal.

Game has badly petered out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Two poor decisions from the ref one in each half blatant penalties

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This ref is awful.

Only the the first one was a stonewaller. Other than a few 5 minute spells, Newcastle have been very poor. These new signings who are due to come would really want to hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Well deserved win for Fulham. Shelvey brainless when he came in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Well that was dissapointing, championship is certainly going to be no cakewalk. I think the quality and depth of the squad will tell over 45 more games though and lead to promotion.

Simply not good enough. I mean, whatever about the incompetence of the referee (non-clear pen in the first half and the bizarre decision to not play on when we were on the attack at the edge of their box).

Fulham did everything we didn't. Press the ball, play intricate passing etc. Their movement was far better than ours off the ball.

For all the talk of the strength of our bench, all 3 subs were anonymous when they came on.

Better second half for sure and we limited their chances to an extent but created very little of our own. A lot of work to be done. /

I know it's only the first game but that was a worrying display, Two really poor teams , lots of work to do , Perez was dreadful as was colback, no imagination in the team besides Ritchie really, Lascelles fell asleep too many times, dummett could have easily got sent off

Hayden faded badly in 2nd half

Gayle far too isolated needs mitro up with him I think!

Ref was terrible a lot of bad calls against both teams not just us

Time to drown my sorrows lol!

For as poor as Newcastle were, they could have got something out of it. Really lacked cohesion and played in fits and starts.

But it's only one game. Diame and Mitro will make a big difference, along with whomever else comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Disappointing start to the new season but maybe it will serve as an eye opener to some, onwards and upwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Awful support from the Geordies last night hardly a peep out of them whole game, especially poor considering it was the first game of the season. Yet Sky will be telling us all season what wonderful fans they are.

Newcastle will be fine anyways not a chance they won't go straight back up.

Advertisement