Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Siem De Jong gone on loan to PSV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

That_Guy wrote: »
    Siem De Jong gone on loan to PSV.

No harm ... hasnt exactly done much since arriving.

I did read some where that rafa wants a smaller squad anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    No harm ... hasnt exactly done much since arriving.

I did read some where that rafa wants a smaller squad anyway

I actually thought the current squad was too small!

With Tiote, Sissoko, Krul and Saivet looking like they will be gone by September, Newcastle won't have much depth if injuries begin to pile up.

TaosHum wrote:
    With Tiote, Sissoko, Krul and Saivet looking like they will be gone by September, Newcastle won't have much depth if injuries begin to pile up.

I do think he'll bring in 2 more tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Sounds like Alan Judge is coming in. He's going to be out for a while but if he comes back the same player he was last year it's decent business. In his last year of his contract so should be relatively cheap?

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Sounds like Alan Judge is coming in. He's going to be out for a while but if he comes back the same player he was last year it's decent business. In his last year of his contract so should be relatively cheap?

Would be a great signing!

Will add that bit of creativity that Newcastle lack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

Yedlin is in Newcastle supposedly for a medical , janmatt likely to be sold I would think . I would have kept mbabu rather than sign yedlin to be honest.

If judge returns to the form he had for Brentford I'll be very happy!

DeAndre Yedlin looks set to sign tomorrow. He'll be at the game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yedlin is a lad who has a crazy amount of upside, as the Americans would put it. All the athleticism in the world and a willingness to learn. He's very questionable defensively at the moment but he really can be a great player someday even if it means he ends up as a winger. Had a great World Cup two years ago as well for what it's worth.

Let's forget he ever played for Sunderland though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yedlin is average IMO.

Don't get me wrong, given our current situation at full back I'd take him back as things stand because we have somehow managed to be in a worse position at RB than we were last year, but the two full backs were a massive problem area for us all of last season. He's canny going forward but will frustrate you defensively. Wingers constantly ghosting in behind him being of particular annoyance.

I think he'll be one you'll need to improve on as a matter of urgency as soon as you come back up.

It's a good move for the player himself however. He used to live in Newcastle last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Janmaat's heading to Watford. I'm hopeful he'll do well in the right wing back role where he excelled in the World Cup for the Dutch?

I'm not sure this thread is his biggest fan.... Please give me some hope...

SantryRed wrote: »
    Janmaat's heading to Watford. I'm hopeful he'll do well in the right wing back role where he excelled in the World Cup for the Dutch?

I'm not sure this thread is his biggest fan.... Please give me some hope...

Well he's good at going forward if you want to look at the positives.

The rest isn't worth speaking about tbh. Just hope whoever your right-sided centre half is, is very, very good.

Aarons out injured again, mitrovic also picked up injury,hope it's not serious , gayle and Perez both got head injuries lol you couldn't make this up!

CqkiT0tWcAEkIyp.jpg

Just on Janmaat for SantryRed:

Well.... To be honest, I think he could do ok. I think I'm right in what I saw from Watford at the weekend that they employ a 3-5-2 formation?

I think he could excel in that type of system. Great at going forward, pacy enough and can deliver (for the most part) a semi-decent cross.

Going the other way he's a positional nightmare. He seems to exert all of his energy into bombing forward and just can't replicate the same enthusiasm when asked to defend which is why he tends to pick up so many yellows/reds with cynical fouls on players he should be marking.

He does find a lot of space on the attack so you can expect a good few assists but if it's a tight game and you're hanging on for a point or a narrow win, he wouldn't instill you with a huge amount of confidence.

Obviously that comes with a caveat. Bad wingers not helping him out and shocking defenders beside him but individually he's a real mixed bag.

He's had 2 years now in England so he knows all about the league which is a plus particularly for defenders but like I say he comes with a bit of baggage and like most of our players last season, just threw in the towel.

Meh... is my overall assessment. You'd be hard pushed to find a lot of Newcastle fans who are disappointed about his departure to tell you the truth.

Just on our own performance tonight... Can only judge from what I heard while listening to the radio commentary.

There seems to be a worrying trend that we just don't show up in first halves of games. There doesn't seem to be any cutting edge or willingness to get forward and try kill the game early.

I'm sure Rafa wants them to keep it tight so we don't concede too early but we just don't seem to have the players to take the game by the scruff of the neck and just go on in at HT with the lead.

Ok, we scored at the end of the first half this evening but it sounded like a lackluster performance devoid of anything. Yeah, it might have "only been" Cheltenham but that was a very strong looking team we had out tonight.

Second half sounded a lot more lively which again, seems like the trend of this team.

Aarons for me, isn't a huge loss. He has pace but he is extremely weak and his movement off the ball is atrocious. If anything, him going off injured and Gouffran coming on shows a real lack of natural width that we have in the team.

We could really do with resurfacing a bid for Knockeart. He'll cost a pretty penny now that he's banging in goals and setting them up but he, along with Ritchie are the type of players we need going forward on both wings.

We've relied far too much on the right wing to create while our left side has been poor for a long long time. We need flair and pace on both flanks to keep teams guessing with wingers who can switch sides and cause havoc.

With Mitro back in, both Ritchie and Knockeart have quality crosses in them and can deliver to Mitro's head to either have an attempt or knock balls down to Gayle coming in behind.

Defensively (full back's particularly) we're a bit short but like I say, Knockeart is the one we should really go all in for. If the Sissoko deal goes through, I'd be tabling £10m right away and go from there.

• Advertisement

Yedlin signed!

0,,10278~14810819,00.jpg

Is Bentaleb being linked now too?

And Krul's off on loan to Ajax apparently.

Ya bentaleb part exchange for sissoko and krul to Ajax on season loan.

We need goals from midfield , don't think bentaleb offers any goal threat

I think krul is still our best keeper , can't believe we let him go .

Obertan off to Anzhi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Obertan off to Anzhi

What an absolute waste of money he was

M5 wrote: »
    What an absolute waste of money he was

How he lasted this long at the club is staggering.

Drawn at home v Wolves in the 3rd round of the EFL Cup.

Underwhelming draw but not the worst by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Drawn at home v Wolves in the 3rd round of the EFL Cup.

Underwhelming draw but not the worst by any means.
    Meh. Usually the last few seasons I'd be saying to at least make an effort in some of these competitions (league cup and FA cup) as opposed to the disdain we treated them with but this season the focus needs to be solely on the league and promotion.....so back to treating these with disdain I say! pacman.gif

Looks like Bentaleb is off to Schalke.

Gayle and Mitro out for Saturday's game.... I guess it's now up to Perez to get us goals... unless he's going to give Armstrong a chance to impress.

An already tough game just got tougher.

God dammit!

Will probably play Perez up to, with Ritchie on the left, Diame in behind and Anita on the right.

Anita needs to be in the backine tbh.

You have to assume gouff(or is he gone)will be on the other wing...

OR do you put Yedlin on the wing?

I'd be happy with Yedlin on the wing. I think that back 4 is pretty settled with a slight question over the LB position maybe.

If he does start Yedlin on the right and play Ritchie on the left, we'll have decent pace going forward.

However, I expect Rafa to have Ritchie on the right and Gouffran on the left to begin with.
    Darlow

Anita --- Lascelles --- Mbemba --- Clark

Shelvey --- Colback

Ritchie --- Diame --- Gouffran

Perez

I'd say that's how we're likely to set up from the off. If it doesn't work, stick Perez on the left and put Armstrong up front if it needs changing.

My worry is that we have very little physical presence and height from set pieces in that front 4.

EDIT: Keeping Knockeart quiet will be key and Gouffran/Clark (if it is that left side pairing) will need to be on their game big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Busy in the transfer market today. Nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Big game tonight lads. Daryl Murphy on the way from Ipswich, defiantly has plenty of exp at this level

Predict a 1-0 win with Lascelles getting the winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Seems Rafa has a bit of a fetish for the Irish lads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Lovely! Nice wander from Shelvey to win the free, great free-kick & a bullet header from Lascelles :D

:eek: Crossbar!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Playing some lovely ball.

Tha strike from gouuff ..so close.
    Back to the gouffran of 2 years ago

Gouffran inches away again.

Started well and a lovely taken header from Lascelles but we've gotten dragged into Brighton's cynical game now.

Need to start getting a foot on the ball and play around them because they're going down under absolutely everything. Not helping that the ref is buying absolutely everything.

Pathetic officiating.

Interesting kick-off

• Advertisement

I think that's a bit soft, but he shouldn't be taking chances when he's on a yellow already. Silly boy!

B-E-A-utiful! 2 goals from free kicks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Great performance.
    Good save by sels at the end to.

Youd think Anita was naturally a rb, plays well there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Up to 4th! Happy now.

Great result against one of our bogey sides. Shelvey and Perez impressed me greatly with their work rate and attitude.

Dummett was superb in nullifying Knockeart who rarely had a sniff.

Brilliant result and another clean sheet to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Do you all think we are done lads or will he go for someone else if sissoko gets sold?

as far as I know this is the most we have spent in a transfer window but also the most we have received for players

• Advertisement

fitzparker wrote: »
    Do you all think we are done lads or will he go for someone else if sissoko gets sold?

as far as I know this is the most we have spent in a transfer window but also the most we have received for players

he seems to want 1 or 2 more attacking midfielers ...

for some reason I still think knockaert might sign

I want to be one of those clubs that do an amazing deal @ 7mins past the deadline but still get it through!

Atsu from Chelsea joined on loan but I couldn't tell you a thing about him.

Atsu from Chelsea joined on loan but I couldn't tell you a thing about him.

Not sure he's Pl standard but should do well in the EFL

on the otherhand, I think with a lot of players, its down to how they react to Benitez, he has a knack of making average players better

Djimmy Traore has a CL medal for christ sake! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I haven't heard talk of him all day.
    Callum mcmanaman was talked about yesterday and Atsu should be signing any minute.

I think if we can get these 2 wide players in i would be happy.

supposedly a rejected bid of 4.5 by palace for dummet.

£30m for Sissoko, i doubt someone will come in with that....even £25 at this stage is a big ask

• Advertisement
Advertisement