Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Shambles. Whats the point in performing so well away from home and grinding out results when you piss it a
    way and get battered at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I was out all day... dafuq happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Home form this season has been worrying. That was Newcastle's 5th home defeat this season so far. 5 of the remaining nine are at home, so Rafa needs to sort the setup at home quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

TaosHum wrote: »
    Home form this season has been worrying. That was Newcastle's 5th home defeat this season so far. 5 of the remaining nine are at home, so Rafa needs to sort the setup at home quick.

We've also had draws with QPR and Bristol City who are dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

TaosHum wrote: »
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    We've also had draws with QPR and Bristol City who are dirt

We see top of the league, most wins and goals off the back of 7 points from 9 sway to the top 3 behind us.

Think tiredness was s factor. Slightly concerning but think we'll be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

M5 wrote: »
    We see top of the league, most wins and goals off the back of 7 points from 9 sway to the top 3 behind us.

Think tiredness was s factor. Slightly concerning but think we'll be ok

Please don't be optimistic. Whiny little bitches only in this thread - top of the league and they moan and moan and moan

We arent actually Newcastle fans at all we are mere members of the "Fans against Pardews and Mclarens cruelty to football players" Foundation.

McLaren who was "hounded out" continued his spectacular form at Derby, sacked for the 3rd time in 18 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Please don't be optimistic. Whiny little bitches only in this thread - top of the league and they moan and moan and moan

I think you're the one being slightly over the top. A couple of people said the home form is worrying.

In fairness if Huddersfield win their game in hand Newcastle are three points above third. And who finishes third doesn't usually go up. It would be a nightmare for Newcastle if they didn't go up this year and even though they've had some excellent results they keep giving other teams hope of catching them.

I would say fans have reason to be slightly concerned. And it's okay if on occasion they vent their frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Jeez nearly a month since the last post here....

Another 3 points tonight to add to the 3 picked up against Wigan the weekend, Ritchie scoring a penalty but the ref bizarrely then giving a free out to Burton confused.png
    We seem to be doing just enough to scrape through games, lots of 1-0's, 2-1's etc. but getting the job done.

84pts with 6 games remaining, 1pt ahead of Brighton but more importantly 10 ahead of third placed Huddersfield (although they've a game in hand). Would have to think even one more win to put the insurance on promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Remaining Fixtures with my (optimistic) predictions

Anyone else want to have a go?

Sheff Wed vs Newcastle (2 - 1)
    Newcastle vs Leeds United (1 - 1)
    Ipswich Town vs Newcastle (2 - 1)
    Newcastle vs Preston (1 - 0)
    Cardiff City vs Newcastle (2 - 2)
    Newcastle vs Barnsley (3 - 1)

chewed wrote: »

2 wins from 6 optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

chewed wrote: »

Sheff Wed vs Newcastle (1 - 1)
    Newcastle vs Leeds United (0 - 0)
    Ipswich Town vs Newcastle (1 - 2)
    Cardiff City vs Newcastle (2 - 1)
    Newcastle vs Barnsley (4 - 0)[/QUOTE]

See's us getting 11 more points leaving us on 95 points , enough to get promoted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

2 wins from 6 optimistic?

Yes, I have a bad feeling about the next few weeks! I hope I'm very wrong, but I think we'll be safe either way.

Sheff Wed vs Newcastle (1- 2)
    Newcastle vs Leeds United (2 - 1)
    Ipswich Town vs Newcastle (1 - 1)
    Cardiff City vs Newcastle (0 - 2)
    Newcastle vs Barnsley (2 - 0)

So as things stand,

1. Newcastle 40 +40 84
    2. Brighton 40 +33 83
    3. Huddersfield 39 +6 74

The max amount of points Huddersfield can accumulate if they win all their remaining games is 95. Meaning, Newcastle need 12 points from a possible 18 to finish on 96 points and out of reach of Huddersfield. Given Newcastle's far superior GD (currently +34 on Huddersfield), 95 points will more than likely be good enough, meaning 11 points should be good enough to clinch promotion.

Even though Huddersfield don't have a difficult run in, I can't see them winning all 7 games. I don't think they have enough quality to go on such a run. Unless Newcastle collapse, I'd be confident they will secure promotion.

I'm not really concerned with Brighton at this point, as it's 2 from 3 and they are pretty much in the same position as Newcastle. They also have an even kinder run in than Huddersfield (even if 4 are away from home), so I expect them to gain promotion also.

Huddersfield remaining fixtures:

Nottingham Forest vs Huddersfield Town
    Huddersfield Town vs Preston North End
    Derby County vs Huddersfield Town
    Huddersfield Town vs Fulham
    Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Huddersfield Town
    Birmingham City vs Huddersfield Town
    Huddersfield Town vs Cardiff City

Brighton remaining fixtures:

Queens Park Rangers vs Brighton & Hove Albion
    Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Brighton & Hove Albion
    Brighton & Hove Albion vs Wigan Athletic
    Norwich City vs Brighton & Hove Albion
    Brighton & Hove Albion vs Bristol City
    Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That looked a clear red for Bannan, Sheffield got away with one there. Ritchie is lucky not to be injured.

martyos121 wrote: »
    That looked a clear red for Bannan, Sheffield got away with one there. Ritchie is lucky not to be injured.

Red card every day of the week! Fletcher slice was offside too. What is it with the officiating in this division

On the football, we are dodgy as **** at the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

martyos121 wrote: »

Red card every day of the week! Fletcher slice was offside too. What is it with the officiating in this division

On the football, we are dodgy as **** at the back

Can your defence be this dodgy on Friday please?

Seriously though, should be up a man here, nasty by Bannan

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Can your defence be this dodgy on Friday please?

Seriously though, should be up a man here, nasty by Bannan

Out defence is always this dodgy mushy

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

It's a miracle it's still 0-0. We're very lucky none of Sheffields chances have gone in. We look so unorganized at the back.

Out defence is always this dodgy mushy

It'll improve over time as long as Rafa is there, his methods take time and he's been unfortunate not to be given it in every job he's had since Liverpool.

Sheffield getting the better chances so far anyway, 0-0 at halftime wouldn't be too bad at this stage.

Shelvey! :eek:

His vision is absolutely incredible. Inches away from a goal of the season contender.

Would have been a beaut! Unlucky not to go in but at the same time we absolutely do not deserve to be leading in this game. Hopefully make Westwood work some more in the second half as he's more than capable of a slip up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

Sheffield Wednesday deserved to win much the better team and could of won by more to be honest, really missing Clarke at the back , Leeds at home looks a lot tougher all of a sudden! Thank god huddersfield lost today!

Diame and Perez were terrible, passengers all game!

• Advertisement

Only saving grace is the chasing pack weren't able to close the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Yesterday is as bad as anything we had to endure last season. No movement. No bottle. Nothing.

Diame, Perez, Dummett and Lascelles can fúck right off. Utter shíte.

Diame in particular was awful, lots of laziness when he'd try to defend and we improved almost immediately once he was taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It looks like wel probably scrape over the line as regards promotion so from that point of view it is job done.

What yesterday emphasised, along with many of our games lately is that if we do go back up we are going to need serious reinforcements in order to stay out of a relegation fight.

Dummett, diame, colback, murphy, and plenty more have no business in the premier league. I have a terrible feeling that rafa knows this only too well and will put an ultimatum to Ashley.

I think it could be a messy summer and wouldn't be surprised if rafa doesnt start as our manager next season. He will have enhanced his reputation and plenty of clubs and owners will be willing to back him in the transfer market.

Really hope im wrong but cant trust Ashley to do the right thing

As long as Ashley stays out of it and lets Rafa make the footballing decisions, then I think Rafa will stay.

If Ashley gets involved, then that's it and he won't take on someone like Rafa again. Basically we would be back to the Pardews and McClarens of this world.

• Advertisement

Don't know how it's still 0-0, Leeds are hanging on by a thread here. Hopefully it isn't one of those nights, chance after chance not taken. :(

Sucker punch surely in the post

That was heart in mouth stuff. Fair play to Leeds for holding on.

This is our best performance in months against anybody, completely dominant. Hopefully the deserved result follows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I don't fücking believe it. Actually, I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Spineless

Sucker punch surely in the post

So horribly predictable

That's entire back line needs routed in the summer. 2/3 good chances given up every ****ing game

Diame proving in the amazingly short time he was on the pitch that he is nowhere near premiership quality. Unbelievable we let this slip we dominated the lions share of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Result aside, I was happy with the performance. Loads of chances and apart from a couple of Leeds chances we were comfortable enough. Hayden was an improvement. Confident of going up after that performance. Promotion is all that matters and I reckon were far enough ahead, once we keep up that level of performance!!

• Advertisement

What was lacelles doing leaving woods unmarked for the goal?? Sloppy

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭culline

Terrible. Just terrible. Defending like children!

Ye will still be promoted comfortably lads, dominated but somehow our defence hung on by the skin of our teeth!

We absolutely battered Leeds. Kicked them up and down the pitch. They had the customary 2 chances that our defence gives away every game and got lucky with 1.

How the ref didn't give a penalty for the obvious foul on mbemba or at least card (and probably send off) Taylor is astonishing. Seems to be a massive bone of contention in every single game with referees in this division. Philips also hot away with being naughty and was carded later.

And for christ sake, you cant give Chris bloody Wood thay much space. Defending 101

Mushy wrote: »
    Ye will still be promoted comfortably lads, dominated but somehow our defence hung on by the skin of our teeth!

I did tell you the defence was dodgy! We handed 2 chances to ye, unfortunately 1 was taken.

I did tell you the defence was dodgy! We handed 2 chances to ye, unfortunately 1 was taken.

With someone like Wood it's lucky only one chance is needed. Let's hope it's a premiership fixture next season now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Leeds fan here.

Newcastle were undoubtedly the better team. And so you should be. A Premiership squad, with Premiership money and a Premiership manager. It would be a massive embarrassment if they didn't get promoted this season.

But you should be ashamed at the attitude of the players after they scored the goal.

Shelvey bitched and moaned the entire second half, strutting around the pitch like he was God's gift. Mitrovic must be one of the most cynical strikers I've seen in the Championship. Seemed more interested in throwing himself to the ground and looking for an opposition card than scoring.

However, I was flabbergasted to see Newcastle playing it into the corner and trying to wind the clock down. They were running the show, they should have been going balls out for a second goal!

Leeds are not a possession team and have carved out 22 wins this season from clinching games with few chances. I never wrote them off tonight right up until the last second. And when I saw Newcastle trying to waste time in the last 15 minutes of the game I knew there was a chance.

Good luck in the Premiership next season and with luck we'll see you there....

quarryman wrote: »
    Leeds fan here.

Newcastle were undoubtedly the better team. And so you should be. A Premiership squad, with Premiership money and a Premiership manager. It would be a massive embarrassment if they didn't get promoted this season.

But you should be ashamed at the attitude of the players after they scored the goal.

Shelvey bitched and moaned the entire second half, strutting around the pitch like he was God's gift. Mitrovic must be one of the most cynical strikers I've seen in the Championship. Seemed more interested in throwing himself to the ground and looking for an opposition card than scoring.

However, I was flabbergasted to see Newcastle playing it into the corner and trying to wind the clock down. They were running the show, they should have been going balls out for a second goal!

Less are not a possession team and have carved out 22 wins this season from clinching games with few chances. I never wrote them off tonight right up until the last second. And when I saw Newcastle trying to waste time in the last 15 minutes of the game I knew there was a chance.

Good luck in the Premiership next season and with luck we'll see you there....

Well balanced post. With more of a killer instinct we should be well safe. Hopefully we'll meet again at the top table!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Salmon wrote: »
    Well balanced post. With more of a killer instinct we should be well safe. Hopefully we'll meet again at the top table!!

It's definitely Leeds-biased, but I tried for balance :)

But seriously, Newcastle deserve to go up this season. You were streets ahead of us in the game in Elland Road too. Benitez is a TOP manager and any championship team would love to have him.

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Advertisement