Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Must say I have completely tuned out. The speculation this time of year is ridiculous. Also quite relaxed, Rafa knows what we need I'm sure and he'll get it done without interference or walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Cheik Tiote has passed away. RIP

waiting for official confirmation on this one I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

M5 wrote: »
    waiting for official confirmation on this one I think

Allegedly confirmed by Chinese media. Can't read mandarin myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Multiple sources confirming it but I've never heard of any of them. It's looking like its genuine though, really terrible news if that's the case, only 30 years old.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Multiple sources confirming it but I've never heard of any of them. It's looking like its genuine though, really terrible news if that's the case, only 30 years old.

Multiples sources quoting "official" Chinese source with no link. Locals looking into it but calling story unconfirmed

Will be remembered for this scorcher of an equalizer after being 4 down at HT

Sad news indeed, only 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Glad I got to see him in the flesh a few times, best goal in my lifetime at SJP in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Sad, sad story. RIP Cheicky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Absolutely terrible news. The best of the best medical and fitness tests regularly and it can still happen so easily. You just never know. RIP Cheick, thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Newcastle released there "released" list. Of them thauvin joined marseille.. satka, vuckic and ameobi gone.

And huge surprise anita released. Really thought we could do with him. Was a loyal player with about 30 apps last year. I'm gonna miss him, I never stopped bigging him up on this! Versatile player gone.

Anita was barely good enough. Typical Ashley signing. Tbf he usually put in a shift. Just not good enough IMHO.

Gouffran getting another deal baffles me

As for the rest. Thanks but no thanks!

Let's hope rafa has something up his sleeve. Only yedlin as a right back now. Do we still have that gamez lad? Can't remember him getting a game at all.

I'd like to see him go for clichy or gibbs for left back

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Skysports reporting of Chinese investors interested in a take over of Newcastle.

Not sure how it'd go.
    As much as I dislike Ashley but it seems like things are going well ATM. Might unsteady the ship

D_turbo wrote: »
    Skysports reporting of Chinese investors interested in a take over of Newcastle.

Not sure how it'd go.
    As much as I dislike Ashley but it seems like things are going well ATM. Might unsteady the ship

I can't imagine a single way in which Ashley retaining control of the club can be even slightly positive. I'd imagine most Newcastle fans would love this report to be true, but I'm open to correction on that.

There's no way he'll sell for a decent amount. He'll want to regain his "interest free loan" used to pay for his calamitous errors (failing to do due diligence, woeful set of decisions leading to two relegations). Not to mention the advertising package worth about 20 million a year that he pays zero for. That is of course why he's at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

I can't imagine a single way in which Ashley retaining control of the club can be even slightly positive. I'd imagine most Newcastle fans would love this report to be true, but I'm open to correction on that.

I'd absolutely love to see him go. Despise him. But just the taught of unsteadying again once Rafa seems to have calmed us a bit. Wonder what it would take to buy?

Club is worth 150-200, plus debt of 120 all due to Ashley, plus he'll want to cover advertising, another 50 say.

Problem is with those figures plenty of better options

• Advertisement

Cynic in me thinks this would be an excellent excuse not to invest in new players only for it to fail to "get over the line" when it's too late.

Ooof, offer of 810 million? Sounds way over the odds, Ashley would absolutely have to take that

Ffs, always start with a lower offer, they'd have gotten it for much less I reckon. If they can splurge that on the acquisition of the club itself, it's a good sign for transfer dealings. Hope this deal goes through, too good a club to be stuck with Mike Ashley any longer.

Does rafa stay?
    Does he get full control of the transfers?
    Will there be big transfer budgets?
    Are the sports direct signs getting taken down?

If the answer to those 4 is yes that i couldnt give a fck who writes the cheques

Carr being moved on. Mixed feelings tbh. Yes there were some lemons but there were some huge finds also. The scouting network also had us talking to modric, Ali, abenyang long before anyone else (pity the penny pinching stopped us in out tracks)

From another perspective, this is Benitez taking control

Mike Ashley has sold all of his shares in Rangers. Couple of ways of interpreting this in terms of Newcastle that I can see: 1. Is he cutting his ties with football in general given the rumours of a Chinese takeover and focusing his efforts on his retail empire? 2. Is he concentrating his efforts (and I use that word loosely given how little he seems to do with the club compared to SportsDirect) on just the one football club now for some reason while continuing to build his retail assets?

All signs are pointing to the first option, for the sake of the club it'd be nice to see a quick resolution but this has the makings of a saga that'll drag on for the next 12 months leaving Newcastle in turmoil for yet another season. Interested to hear what ye make of the situation regarding the ownership, the rumours of a takeover in the last few weeks have never been as loud before so I'm guessing there must be some truth to it.

Not sure what to make of the "takeover".

Sky were running with the story a few weeks ago because the transfer news was quiet, but haven't heard a dickie since. we were also close to signing that elche defender 2 weeks ago but nothing since, I think Sky are just looking to make a bit of click bait because the are sick of talking about the lions and U21.

fingers crossed it gets sorted soon as July is a huge month with everyone back training and trying to get a PL team ready.

in other news I see lascelles is back training already, fair play to the lad but im still not sure he is PL quality but hoping he proves me wrong as our defence never is

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

It still seems the squad plan to come over to Carton House for a few days; anyone know if there'll be a friendly organised??

Seannew1 wrote: »
    It still seems the squad plan to come over to Carton House for a few days; anyone know if there'll be a friendly organised??

Be nice if there was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Little bit concerned with the lack of movement or even news on transfer targets, that squad needs a lot of quality added to avoid a relegation battle

tastyt wrote: »
    Little bit concerned with the lack of movement or even news on transfer targets, that squad needs a lot of quality added to avoid a relegation battle

Cant sign anyone till start of july anyway...

Rumours Benitez has threatened to quit over lack of transfer activity.

If that's the case the club will be done for me and I'd say a large proportion of the remaining fans.

Centre back Florian Lejeune signs from Eibar for £8.7m. It's a start I suppose, but I can't imagine he was the first choice target for that position but then again I've never seen this lad play so it'd be unfair to knock him before he even kicks a ball for Newcastle.

The lack of activity elsewhere is till very worrying though, hope all these rumours of tension with Rafa are nothing more than that.

Optimism for new season slowly fading.

Even our reoorted targets are seriously underwhelming, pepe reina, jacob Murphy from Norwich......

The slow familiar Ashley march towards the inevitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Carver and Pardew are still out of work. . .
    Just saying :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

It's all looking very grim unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It's all looking very grim unfortunately.

its bloody depressing :mad:
    Get a few big name players who have a year or two left just to give us a push up the table and help the younger players.

its looking bad lads...

Looks like Jacob Murphy is on the way but we need tested premier league quality.

Loic Remy? done the job a few years back, still only 30

also coming to Ireland for a week and no friendly is a bit silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Manquillo on a 3 year deal seems to be being reported in Spain. I hope for your sake it's not true or he will only be used as a desperation backup. He was so bad last season that Billy Jones kept him out of the team.

What's with signing all the unproven PL talent?? We need experience and proven PL players; surely Rafa knows this.

• Advertisement

Genuinely shocked if rafa sticks around for this, managing a championship standard squad in the premier league

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I hope he sticks around, he just signed my 2017/18 shirt!

IMG_5096.jpg

Cheeky Jonjo with the bunny-ears!

Waking up this morning to find us linked with Sam Clucas and Rafa is favourite manager to leave really annoyed the sh@t out of me

Dortmund midfielder Mikel Merino is currently having a medical ahead of a loan move. Not a bad signing and he's said to be quite promising but a higher standard of player is badly needed to challenge for a top half finish this season.

He's one for the future and the problem is that his future is probably at Dortmund.

Dortmund midfielder Mikel Merino is currently having a medical ahead of a loan move. Not a bad signing and he's said to be quite promising but a higher standard of player is badly needed to challenge for a top half finish this season.

He's one for the future and the problem is that his future is probably at Dortmund.

It's a loan move for one year with an obligation to buy. It's a permanent transfer in all bar name

Maybe our spending is kicking off!

It's a loan move for one year with an obligation to buy. It's a permanent transfer in all bar name

Missed that. Good business in that case, surprised they're letting him go permanently though, he has potential. The Rafa factor maybe getting that over the line? A lot of young Spanish players like Merino would probably enjoy working under him.

Missed that. Good business in that case, surprised they're letting him go permanently though, he has potential.

Their midfield in fairness! Even jonjo would struggle to keep his place in that side ;)

Their midfield in fairness! Even jonjo would struggle to keep his place in that side ;)

He'd have great craic bombing 70 yard passes for Aubameyang to run onto though. :pac:

Lot of potential in that midfield alright with Weigl, Dahoud and Guerrerio (signed as a left back but also great in the middle). I guess someone like Merino was always going to slip through the cracks, fair play to the recruitment team for pouncing on it.

He'd have great craic bombing 70 yard passes for Aubameyang to run onto though. :pac:

Lot of potential in that midfield alright with Weigl, Dahoud and Guerrerio (signed as a left back but also great in the middle). I guess someone like Merino was always going to slip through the cracks, fair play to the recruitment team for pouncing on it.

Benitez pulling power right there

• Advertisement
Advertisement