Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Linked to Perez of arsenal.

I think he would be brilliant. Got the Rip at arsenal but seems he has a great talent

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

One injury to Gayle and we are absolutely f*cked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Whats going on lads eh?

I dont understand it to be honest, will benitez be happy to stick around or does he have a few out of the blue signings in motion that we know nothing about??

Im not talking about potential from france or Spain either, we need premier league experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

tastyt wrote: »
    Whats going on lads eh?

I dont understand it to be honest, will benitez be happy to stick around or does he have a few out of the blue signings in motion that we know nothing about??

Im not talking about potential from france or Spain either, we need premier league experience

ive faith in him...

the dortmund lad was deffo one that had no media attention on it

Vazquez, Perez, correa all linked....in talks with...joselu...**** sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Signing backup players from here on in apparently! Logical conclusion from that is our squad is deemed good enough despite being down 5+ players

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Just reading Merson's predictions for the season on the Sky sports app, he has us finishing 17th!

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Just reading Merson's predictions for the season on the Sky sports app, he has us finishing 17th!

As much as he likes to have a pop, if put this in reasonable territory given we have decreased our squad size after decreasing it last year and the year before.

Survival the goal this year, which I see as reasonable. Unfortunately it's the limit of ambition fill stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

Paddy power offering 3/1 for Newcastle to finish in top 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Jesus lads what is going on, the players we have brought in aren't really a step up to what we had, Manquillo for Anita Murphy for Goufrann.

im looking at another dull season with Rafa gone by Jan. of course prices are gone scandalous at 10m players are now 25m but surely there is a few marquee signings out there. wasn't rafa promised every penny from championship? yet he has barley spent. we still need a CM, LB.

Hoping De Jong/yedlin gives us a good season, Gayle/Elliot/hayden stay fit, Shelvey stays on the pitch.

if Sigurdsson goes to Everton surly that opens the door for a barkley bid, Delph at man City should be available as too wilfried bony....even bring back remy!

fitzparker wrote: »
    Jesus lads what is going on, the players we have brought in aren't really a step up to what we had, Manquillo for Anita Murphy for Goufrann.

im looking at another dull season with Rafa gone by Jan. of course prices are gone scandalous at 10m players are now 25m but surely there is a few marquee signings out there. wasn't rafa promised every penny from championship? yet he has barley spent. we still need a CM, LB.

Hoping De Jong/yedlin gives us a good season, Gayle/Elliot/hayden stay fit, Shelvey stays on the pitch.

if Sigurdsson goes to Everton surly that opens the door for a barkley bid, Delph at man City should be available as too wilfried bony....even bring back remy!

Sole ambition of the club is to survive in the premier leakage for the least amount of money possible to maximize visibility for sports direct. As long as the cost of running the club is less than paying for that advertising this is what we have lads. Rafa gone by January unless there is some serious movement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Going on preseason form is Elliot likely to be No 1 goalie for start of season?

Going on preseason form is Elliot likely to be No 1 goalie for start of season?

is this for your fantasy football haha :)

yeah he should be! he has started all but 1. Krul hasn't got a look in and darlow started the other.

fitzparker wrote: »
    is this for your fantasy football haha :)

yeah he should be! he has started all but 1. Krul hasn't got a look in and darlow started the other.
    Yeah😀...thanks....heard they have new defender in...what's likely starting defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Not a fan of pardew, obviously, but he made a good point about Newcastle on the debate the other night.

He said Newcastle fans and st james park needs an entertainer, and its something we usually have. We might need one even more this season for a bit of light relief because its going to be a slog.

Not really rafas style to have a free spirit in the team although he did have gerard, garcia and Torres at Liverpool.

Id love a character, a bit of magician thats lost his way like tino or ben arfa.

Just off the top of my head, nasri, depay, bony, nani, wilshere, you get the idea.

Ah well, probably well down the list of what we need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Yeah😀...thanks....heard they have new defender in...what's likely starting defence.

Back three going by the friendlies

Gayle - Mitrovic - Colback

:D

Wondering from FF perspective...is Lejeune looking likely to get starting spot in defence for start of season?
    Thanks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Wondering from FF perspective...is Lejeune looking likely to get starting spot in defence for start of season?
    Thanks .

I was just about to ask this myself!

Lascelles to be dropped and captain in name only?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thanks .

It's a dead cert. Rafa will likely go with a centre back pairing of himself and Lascelles.

---

Just on the season ahead, I think our new signings will be good. Players who are eager to play and prove themselves for the jersey and under Rafa, they'll get some top class coaching to further their potential.

Been a while since we've had a bit of guts and desire about us. Last season is a good indicator that the squad we have are willing to fight for the cause.

I don't think we'll pulling up trees but I think we can be an effective well disciplined unit.

All of that comes with a caveat in that all of this fight and hard work rely on Rafa staying in charge and given that Ashley's transfer policy is coming back to haunt yet another manager.

I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do but ultimately, as a Newcastle fan, you can never fully look forward to a season when Ashley is always lurking in the background waiting to press the self destruct button.

I think we'll be a tough team to beat but we need the front 6 to fire on all cylinders.

Mitro talks a good game and has been doing so all pre-season but it's time that he shows that he is capable of leading the line considering that we're a Gayle injury away from imploding up top.

Merino is a very unknown signing and I think it'll be unfair of fans to be expecting him to be the catalyst for our creativity. I'd actually be pinning my hopes on de Jong and hopefully he can stay fit because there's a lot of talent there.

Not sure what to make of the season ahead considering Rafa's public comments about being unhappy.

If we can get Kenedy and Lucas Perez in, I think we should be relatively ok for the short term anyway.

De jong definitely has what it takes, IF he can stay fit, then it eases the pressure of Johnjo and ritchie with creativity.

personally I dont rate Lascelles, and with him only playing once in pre season i think Clarke will go in (whom was our best defender last year) if all goes well with those 2 I think Lascelles will struggle to get back in.

Depending on Gayle injury it means the likes of Atsu,Arrons, Murphy will be used for their pace either side of Mitro.

We are still a couple of signings short, if we can get in as above Kenedy and Perez and have Haidara fit as cover to dummett, that would be ok until January

• Advertisement

On Lascelles, I think he has bags of potential. Positionally, he was caught out big time last year on more than one occasion.

Rafa has named him captain again for this season so I doubt he'll be dropped anytime soon. I'd personally liked to have had Mbemba and Lejeune get the go ahead but I don't Rafa rates the former for whatever reason.

I'd expect Clark to be challenging for a place at LB/RB tbh. He was mental when he was at Villa but he's got a more defence minded coach in Benitez and importantly, he does have experience at the highest level in England and that's a big plus.

Time will tell I guess but it's refreshing to have actual defensive cover. Ok, it may not be the most amazingly talented cover but it's better than having to make do with midfielders making up the numbers.

From www.nufc.com
    Two days before the season opener against Tottenham Hotspur Mike Ashley and Rafa Benitez have been in front of the cameras giving their version of where we are:

Ashley:

"I'm nowhere near wealthy enough to compete with clubs like Man City.

"I don't have the ability to write a cheque for £200m.

"In theory I'm a multi-billionaire, but in reality my wealth is like wallpaper – it's all in Sports Direct shares."

Benitez:

"I said how I have felt during the summer, but at the same time, my commitment is 100% with this club.

"My ambition is to do well every single game. I'm not saying I'm pleased with everything, because that's not true. But I am not saying I will not do my best in every game.

"I think we can bring some players in and we may have to move some out."

FFS Ashley, nobody is asking us to compete like Manchester City or spend £200m. Fans just want to ensure that we have a healthy and competitive squad that can stay in the Premier League and build upwards from there.

"Wealth is like wallpaper" - Come off it lad. You're fooling nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

One of the quotes Ashley came out with in that interview particularly confused me:
    Every penny the club generates [Rafa] can have, but it won't generate enough.

For a club with such a strong brand and no shortage of fan support, if he can't figure out how to monetise that and actually create healthy funds for the manager to spend on players, why the f**k is he still bothering? There's plenty of other ways to advertise your sportswear company, so maybe leave the ownership of football clubs to those that have an interest in growing and improving them? It's pathetic that he isn't even trying to make a profit from the club, it's like he genuinely doesn't want the supporters to experience any modicum of success.

It's probably no secret that this club isn't the one I genuinely support (though I follow it as closely as the club I do support, and I apologise if that rubs some of you the wrong way), but it absolutely infuriates me that this crook is still exploiting the club to further his other ventures and there's no real sign of him going away anytime soon. He says he won't sell up until a trophy is won, even though he shows absolutely zero ambition to do so.

Much respect to all the proper Newcastle fans for enduring this turmoil, hopefully the days of Champions League football will return one day, as far away as it seems now.

We know we cant compete with city. But i dont think that competing with Brighton, Huddersfield, Bournemouth etc is a stretch. I am amazed (well actually im no tbf) that he was not asked this basic question during the "interview". I guess it suits the narrative of the deluded geordies expecting to be in the champions league every year!

We have not broken our record set in 2005 since Ashley took over despite the huge increase in TV money. In fact pretty much every other revenue stream has decreased since. Again no questions about that today

The fact that he opted to speak to Sky rather than local press or via the official NUFC website says it all really.

Sky see it as a national scoop to get him on TV. They in turn will go easy on him to garner sympathy from fans who aren't as tuned in to the goings on as we would.

If he had a bit of balls about him he'd sit down with supporters groups and take questions from local journos who have serious burning questions for him.

He won't though and we'll continue to sleepwalk through season after season until it eventually goes tits up yet again.

That Ashley interview is on Sky Premier League at 7pm tonight. It's going to be a rage inducing segment because we know that he'll not be asked any tough questions or challenged on his BS statements.

But if it keeps the narrative going about deluded Newcastle fans then that's all that matters I suppose.

----

Just on the game today, it'll be a really tough ask but I always find that we're at our most dangerous when there's a disgruntled and snarling crowd going into a game.

I expect Rafa to have us lined up as follows:
    Elliot

Manquillo --- Lascelles --- Lejeune --- Dummett

Hayden --- Shelvey

Ritchie --- de Jong --- Atsu

Gayle

Think it'll be too much for Merino to start but I'd expect himself and Perez to come off the bench if shhits the fan.

Murphy will likely feature at some stage too but I think that's about as strong a starting XI we have right now.

Hayden will be crucial to our season I think. He looks very composed for someone so young. Very tidy footballer. We missed him big time when he was out injured last season.

I just hope we're competitive and that players step up because there's very little competition for places as things stand.

Starting XI:

Elliot, Manquillo, Clark, Lejuene, Dummett, Ritchie, Hayden, Shelvey, Atsu, Perez, Gayle

Surprised Clark starts ahead of Lascelles.

Feeling some what optimistic today for some reason.
    Hopefully will be a solid unit.

talks of us wanting wilshire on loan, Wish wed just buy perez and get a bit of a buzz going

D_turbo wrote: »
    Feeling some what optimistic today for some reason.
    Hopefully will be a solid unit.

talks of us wanting wilshire on loan, Wish wed just buy perez and get a bit of a buzz going

Wilshere on loan is a colossal waste of time. The chap just isn't good enough and is injury prone as they come. Any consistency we'd be hoping for would go out the window right away.

Perez is the one we should be going for.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Wilshere on loan is a colossal waste of time. The chap just isn't good enough and is injury prone as they come. Any consistency we'd be hoping for would go out the window right away.

Perez is the one we should be going for.

Absolutely, Has talent but just cant find it majority of the time when hes not injured.
    They turned down an 8m£ for him at the start of the window and arsneal laughed it off, really not sure who they think they have.

Perez would be serious player for us, 13M£ would be a steal with the way things are. Hes record in depor is fantastic and hes small minutes with arsenal yielded 7 goals and 5 assists and a few created chances, not sure where the issue is.

Few of the dead wood lads are happy to sit around for a paycheck, turning down smaller wages which is killing us

• Advertisement

D_turbo wrote: »

Perez would be serious player for us, 13M£ would be a steal with the way things are. Hes record in depor is fantastic and hes small minutes with arsenal yielded 7 goals and 5 assists and a few created chances, not sure where the issue is.

The issue is a certain Mr. Ashley.

See, his issue is that he thinks fans are demanding to fork over hundreds of millions when the opposite is in fact more truthful.

If you can't fork over £20m to grab a striker and a goalkeeper then you shouldn't be owning a club in the top flight.

Only Newcastle could attach themselves to a supposed poor billionaire. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Are de Jong and Jacobs on the bench?

BArra wrote: »
    Are de Jong and Jacobs on the bench?

Murphy is on the bench. de Jong not even in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Is De Jong injured again or what? Can't see why he wouldn't be in the squad otherwise?!

yeah i am hoping de Jong is not injured again, feel bad for the guy. always wanted to see him in full flow for an extended period

Dummetts hamstring has gone, Lascelles coming on

Lejine off to.
    Well have a thin defensive bench from the go it seems

Tame enough first half. Atsu and Perez looking lively enough. Highlight for me was Clark managing to do himself with a Cruyff turn.

Defending very well but we've feck all going forward. Spurs are doing well to stifle Shelvey as he is the only one with any sort of decent long pass on him.

• Advertisement

Shelvey you idiot.

**** off Shelvey, **** right off

Shelvey is an absolute ****in idiot. Why vother

Red card and 2 injuries. It's great to be back.

Shelvey.... Fúcking clown.

We all know how this ends lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No excuse for what Shelvey did but Dele Alli has been at it from early on in this game. You seen how Ritchie went after him. Ref should have carded him early on I feel.

And the villain scores now.

Now to roll over and concede 5

Ugh....

I'm knackered thinking about this season already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

This is torturous

• Advertisement
Advertisement