Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Atsu been our best player in a team devoid of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Stick merino in for the next 3 games and forget shelvey, inconsistent and ridiculous at times.

Atsu and Perez looked decent. Lejune seemed solid until the tackle.

Hopefully this will force Ashley's hand to act..doubt it but can dream

Merino seems to find that bit of space and play some nice passes to . Like to see him start

D_turbo wrote: »
    Merino seems to find that bit of space and play some nice passes to . Like to see him start

We'll be seeing plenty of him now that Shelvey is having a little rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Absolutely pointless from shevey. Didnt even do any damage (not that im condoning damage), right in front of the ref in a nowhere position.

Wasnt a seeing red moment either, just absolutely utterly and entirely stupid. SHould be severely punished by the club

Expensive game for us, small squad just got much smaller

Seems joselu is close.
    Anybody know anything of him bar he's terrible last 2 seasons?

D_turbo wrote: »
    Seems joselu is close.
    Anybody know anything of him bar he's terrible last 2 seasons?

He's the answer to all our striker problems apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

As a fan, I took very few if any positives from yesterday. Lejeune looks like our stand out player but reports are he'll be out at least 6 weeks? De Jong who I believe is our best footballer if he can stay fit was nowhere near the team which means something is untoward with either him or his fitness. But I think this team will get found out very quickly. Journalists, fans, pundits etc have banged on for years about the need to have a British spine through the team. Now we actually have one and the team is the worst one in all my life supporting Newcastle...Honestly... Hayden and Shelvey are passengers who will get the run around against any decent premiership midfield.Shelvey missed placed so many passes yesterday; Ritchie was anonymous and Gayle cannot seem to stay fit.
    Huddersfield will have their tails up after the Palace win, so I think we'll set up to draw. Anticipating a game where we'll be up against it for long periods but I think we'll leave with a 1-1 draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

We have a squad that scraped the championship in the end and have added more or less championship quality players to it so its no suprise we looked so poor. Lejuene in fairness was doing very well on kane, hence kanes tackle out of frustration.

I think we might not be too poor defensively because rafa will have our shape right but can anyone see where our goals are going to come from??

Oh right, joselu.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

tastyt wrote: »
    We have a squad that scraped the championship in the end and have added more or less championship quality players to it so its no suprise we looked so poor. Lejuene in fairness was doing very well on kane, hence kanes tackle out of frustration.

I think we might not be too poor defensively because rafa will have our shape right but can anyone see where our goals are going to come from??

Oh right, joselu.

A squad that scraped the championship and one which looked unconvincing on a number of occasions. Seriously, like when we scraped with relegation in 2013, 2015, we were lucky that there were three sh*tter teams than us in the division, I don't see that this year given all the ones around us have strengthened. Look at Huddersfield, they went out and took a gamble on an unknown quantity from the french league for 12 million and he scored 2 goals for them on Saturday. We are haggling over a player, who can't even dislodge Peter Crouch from a mid-table team....you pay peanuts, you get......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭fitzparker

As said above, De jong really needs to come into the squad, he works hard,can pass and support the striker. I think Hayden is trapped because he double jobs for shelvey as shelvey doesnt want to defend. our tactics should have changed after 30 mins, it wasnt working. give ball to shelvey > go over the top for gayle. (i think it worked once)with this perez and ritchie were anonymous.

our only threat was atsu running at players.
    I think against Huddersfield we should go with pace.
    Atsu one side Arrons the other > Ritchie De jong and Hayden in the middle.
    with wings we have pace and in the middle ritchie and de jong can pick holes for gayle to run onto.

as for the defense its the same old Newcastle, in 2 weeks with more injuries we will have players playing out of position. Yedlin and haidara is out, and with lascelles rushed back he could easily pull up.

Luckily we have 4 keepers on standby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Would love to see a formation like this against hudds but Rafa wont go 3 at the back.

Elliot

Mbemba---Jamal----Clark
    --Manquillo
    Atsu--
    Hayden

Ritchie----Merino

Perez

Gayle

I like the above, as it can go to a 4 at the back if atsu doesnt get around, not sure perez offers much, especially in that position, i would like to see De jong,mitro or even Diame, we need a target man

Joselu in on a 3 year deal.
    Must be something Rafa sees in him.

Stoke fans seem annoyed he's been sold so maybe there is something in him, Tim will tell I guess

Have no idea about Joselu at all. Will have to wait and see I suppose. Rafa would have known him from Real Madrid's set up so maybe there's a player in there.

for stoke to get rid of Joselu and get Jese on loan from PSG seems like a good bit of business.

fitzparker wrote: »
    for stoke to get rid of Joselu and get Jese on loan from PSG seems like a good bit of business.

Being managed by Mark Hughes though. :pac:

haha! not all sunshine and rainbows

i'd say the joselu funds are his wages for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

haha! not all sunshine and rainbows

i'd say the joselu funds are his wages for the year.

Obligation to buy next summer apparently so they'll have to gather up a few more pennies.

Hope Joselu is a good fit for Newcastle, it's not usually a great sign when one of the clubs you'd be hoping to compete with is happy to let him go for a loss, but I think it's a case of Stoke just not being a good fit for him. Hopefully that's it anyway, there hasn't been a reliable PL-level striker at the club since Remy came on loan for a season.

• Advertisement

Ok, positive slant...

Rafa seems to be going for players who previously played at major clubs. They have all had setbacks and therefore are committed and the fact they played with top clubs suggests that there was some talent there. Hopefully the commitment and Rafas guiding hand can get them back to a level they once were at

Snodgrass and wimmer available on loan or buy according to sky sports.

These two would make very good additions to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Quick question to Newcastle fans for FF...how long does Lejuene look like being out for?....was doing very well last week until he got injured.

Thanks for any replies.

Quick question to Newcastle fans for FF...how long does Lejuene look like being out for?....was doing very well last week until he got injured.

Thanks for any replies.

mid september

Here we go again.

Starting XI:

Elliot; Manquillo, Mbemba, Lascelles Clark; Merino, Hayden; Ritchie, Perez, Atsu; Gayle

Subs: Darlow, Saivet, Aarons, Diame, Murphy, Joselu, Mitrovic

Saivet???? Jesus. Surely de Jong is off. Real shame that he's not even getting a sniff off the bench because by all accounts he's not injured.

No defenders either so expect early injuries to Manquillo and Mbemba right away.

Souness never gives us an inch does he? Miserable git.

• Advertisement

No defenders on the bench could cost us again, especially some only back from injury.

defo something up with De Jong, can't believe he doesnt get on the bench. where is Jesus and Haidara. both still injured? and does Krul not even make the bench anymore.

expect a few more incoming and outgoing before next week.

anyway 6/1 for gayle first scorer. i believe!

Krul will be off. Rafa doesn't fancy him. Could probably command a decent fee in exchange for another striker/midfielder.

---

Souness spouting off about the expecations of the fans on Sky. The way they try to whip up a narrative about deluded Geordies is pathetic.

I suppose the fans are to blame when you took us from 5th to 14th. Clown. :rolleyes:

Souness is a bitter clown.

Mbemba left back is strange. Even if they are trying to do 3 at the back. Put clarke on that side

Comfortable enough so far. Elliot's distribution is pathetic though and he looks shaky from corners. Not exactly filling Rafa with reasons to keep him as first choice really.

Need to be doing better in wide areas. Atsu has looked off the pace a bit. Ritchie has been busy but he isn't going to get too much help from Mbemba out of position at LB for overlaps.

Merino is trying to do a bit too much with the ball but I like his confidence to seek the ball especially when surrounded by opposition players. He does have some nice ideas though which aren't always coming off.

Gayle and Perez isn't working. Gayle just doesn't have any hold up play about him whatsoever.

I can see Murphy coming on for Atsu soon enough if things don't start working for Atsu.

Poor enough but still in it.
    Gayle looks poor, as said no hold up play at all which we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

This has been depressing to watch. Atsu has looked good in flashes. That's about as far as the positive goes for us this week.

4 forwards, all failed previously in the premier league
    Players signed from relegated teams
    Players who couldn't get into mid table Premier league teams
    Team full of failure

Can't score, can't create, poor at the back.

We have 3 player who "might" be good enough

It's almost like you need premier league quality players to survive in the premier league. Who knew?

Squad stinks like a cheap plastic tracksuit from our great leaders tatty sport shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Same depressing shíte week in, week out. I'm away to bed until Summer Slam.

We're fúcked. The only way we're surviving this season is if Ashley sells up and we somehow get investment before the transfer window shuts.

Our performance was abject but officials fúcked us over when Perez was deemed offside when through on goal.

1 decent chance
    Against Huddersfield

Depressingly predictable, depressingly obvious, depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think this result is the best thing that could happen to Newcastle. It’s real leverage for Benitez to get money before deadline day. Ashley’s whole thing is to do just enough and spend just enough to keep them in the Premier League and now that they’ve lost to one of the relegation favourites, the argument is there that he hasn’t done enough.

Rafa’s post-match interview will be very telling.

Gayle and Perez doesn't work. Both have no hold up play!

Nothing has changed in this squad sprit in past 10 years. Never want the second ball. No enthusiasm nothing.

We are not a big club and we won't be one. Players need to realise this and stop prancing around the pitch. Our only pull to get decent players is Rafa. Point blank that Is it. But even that hasn't worked this season

The likes of Jese, zouma,Harry maguire, Livermere, huddlestone,Ince

Mooy was one of the best players in the championship last year and this is what haopens

All these players could have possibly come to newcastle over their respective clubs.

Yet we sign ****e like manquillo. A Sunderland reject!!! Joselu a stoke reject.

Big Bids need to be made. Shane Long, Kevin wimmer, Patrick Roberts off city. Even sinclair off celtic.

There must be players out there.

Rafa, get the gloves off! Making a complete fool out of him as well as the fans

Club complain that they can't offload the previous donkeys they sign more cheap dung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

M5 wrote: »
    Rafa, get the gloves off! Making a complete fool out of him as well as the fans

The thing is, if he doesn’t get what he wants, he may well just be up and off. He’s already proven himself by winning the Championship and has nothing to gain by sticking around for a relegation fight. Given the trigger happy nature of football there’ll be plenty of attractive clubs looking for a manager of his calibre in a few months time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Think this result is the best thing that could happen to Newcastle. It’s real leverage for Benitez to get money before deadline day. Ashley’s whole thing is to do just enough and spend just enough to keep them in the Premier League and now that they’ve lost to one of the relegation favourites, the argument is there that he hasn’t done enough.

Rafa’s post-match interview will be very telling.

He won't though, another couple of young Spanish players will be signed for less than £10m each and that's being optimistic. I don't see an ounce of quality in the squad (the odd flash of it from Shelvey perhaps) and that's extremely depressing looking back on the team from just four seasons ago. To go from Colo, Ba, Cisse, Krul and Cabaye (not that any of them are at the same level now of course) to this bunch is disgusting. Fair enough there's a lot of young players in there who have potential to become PL quality players, but Newcastle need that some of that quality now and it'll be a real struggle to stay in the league without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The thing is, if he doesn’t get what he wants, he may well just be up and off. He’s already proven himself by winning the Championship and has nothing to gain by sticking around for a relegation fight. Given the trigger happy nature of football there’ll be plenty of attractive clubs looking for a manager of his calibre in a few months time.

Benitez won't walk.

As per George Caulkin's tweet below, Benitez for some reason signed a deal that said any club would be liable to pay Newcastle compensation whether he was still employed or not. There's no secret that he wants to stay in the UK to be with his family (hence why he didn't leave after relegation) and no club in the UK is going to pay his compensation, so things are in limbo.

I'm actually shocked that he signed that sort of contract, but he appears to me to be trying to force Ashley's hand in sacking him with his weekly outbursts in the press hoping that Ashley will eventually get sick of it and then he'd be free to join anyone.

His thinly veiled threats to walk are just posturing. If he does walk, there's a realistic chance he may never work again as who is going to pay up that compensation?

https://twitter.com/CaulkinTheTimes/status/895294868578340865

Not sure how that contract works with employment law tbh....

He could start calling out the clubs bull**** over and over, that would bring things to a conclusion very quickly

It's an over used term, but it's factual in Newcastles case. The club have no ambition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

int_150209_Carver_looking_forward_to_Pardew_reunion.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc

De Jong and Riviere out the door. Just remember we signed Riviere after refusing to go from 10 to 12 million for Lacazatte.

The clubs disastrous transfer policy showcased in one deal. Rather "save 2 million" and go for 4th choice

De Jong and Riviere out the door. Just remember we signed Riviere after refusing to go from 10 to 12 million for Lacazatte.

The clubs disastrous transfer policy showcased in one deal. Rather "save 2 million" and go for 4th choice

where did you see about De jong/ Riviere?
    dont mind Riviere going, but feel there is a place for De Jong, we dont have a "number 10" type player to go behind the striker. seems a joke Colback/saivet are still there

where did you see about De jong/ Riviere?
    dont mind Riviere going, but feel there is a place for De Jong, we dont have a "number 10" type player to go behind the striker. seems a joke Colback/saivet are still there

Most of the locals running it. Think the chronicle was where I read it

Most of the locals running it. Think the chronicle was where I read it

a few there that can go, but i think injuries are stopping us, likes of Jesus, Hanley, Savait, Colback, Krul.

where is that Lazzar fella, is he injured, havent even seen him play!

• Advertisement

What a surprise!

We have won 6 games in 10 years in Cup competitions against predominantly lower league sides. How we aren't pulled up for almost throwing games is beyond me

Advertisement