Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Absolute sham of a window.

Geniune question. What is actually stopping someone buying the club?

You see previous take overs from city,everton,villa etc... what gave them a pull to new owner's over Newcastle. A one town club, huge stadium, sell outs everyweek.

Is fat boy just pricing everyone out? Is he making money that he just doesn't want to sell?

What was the loan for that the club owes him? And where did that money go?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Disaster of a club.

Evertons chair man was on sky sports, took a phone call from them, had a chat, talked about the quality bought in and delighted with the spending, already looking ahead of ways to strengthen in Janaury.... such a far far cry from Ashley.

**** him and all he stands for.

Some one like West ham will happily pay rafas compo and he'll be gone soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

fitzparker wrote: »
    Absolute sham of a window.

Geniune question. What is actually stopping someone buying the club?

You see previous take overs from city,everton,villa etc... what gave them a pull to new owner's over Newcastle. A one town club, huge stadium, sell outs everyweek.

Is fat boy just pricing everyone out? Is he making money that he just doesn't want to sell?

What was the loan for that the club owes him? And where did that money go?

I think the price for the club is 'market value' ... problem is the 130m loan that ashley extended to the club, he will need repaying ontop of any valuation paid for the club ...

the story that was put out at the time is that the club was run so recklessly that without the loan we would have gone under ...

Doesnt explain how we can come out of a transfer window not spending any of the 100m of Premier league money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I think the price for the club is 'market value' ... problem is the 130m loan that ashley extended to the club, he will need repaying ontop of any valuation paid for the club ...

the story that was put out at the time is that the club was run so recklessly that without the loan we would have gone under ...

Doesnt explain how we can come out of a transfer window not spending any of the 100m of Premier league money

He wants 400m!

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/true-faith-the-cost-of-mike-ashley/

Decent article of how are club became a sham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

fitzparker wrote: »
    http://www.true-faith.co.uk/true-faith-the-cost-of-mike-ashley/

Decent article of how are club became a sham

I hate Ashley so much that I even banned the missus from shopping in Sports Direct...I told her if she set foot in it she'd be walking home 30 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Anybody here got access to tickets for the Liverpool game? I'm bringing the little fella over but finding it v hard to get tickets. Would pay a little over face value for 2 if anybody can source them.

Flights & hotel booked so we're going anyway, would be pity to not get to the match.

Tx in advance.

20 million bonus for winning the fa Cup.

Perfect, a bonus for something that won't happen and a story the deflect attention from the Benitez Ashley falling out and the relatively speaking zero spend in the summer...

Keith Bishop earning his corn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Merino keeps his place and Shelvey benched for today's game. Definitely the right decision. Joselu starts up front on his own and Lejeune is back on the bench, nice to see him make a quick recovery. Yedlin also back on the bench, so that's another boost to the squad's depth, he could hold down a starting place when back to full fitness.

• Advertisement

Newcastle into the top half with that result, which is some recovery following the awful performances in the first two games of the season. Lejeune might have to fight to get back into the team now after Lascelles stepped up in both attack and defence today, he was immense and it's exactly what's needed from the captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

We showed great composure today especially in the first half when Swansea dominated the ball we just wouldn't allow them create any chances. Hopefully we can keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Long way to go but a 6 point gap between ourselves and the drop area already is a nice position to be in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Long way to go but a 6 point gap between ourselves and the drop area already is a nice position to be in

Think Newcastle should be aiming higher than that with a manager like rafa. No reason Newcastle can't be mid table.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Think Newcastle should be aiming higher than that with a manager like rafa. No reason Newcastle can't be mid table.

Ideally yes but for the time being, like with all teams that come up, safety for me should be goal #1. Hopefully targets can reassessed as the weeks go by. 2 winnable games next up with Stoke at home and a trip to Brighton. Rafa gives us a great shot at a bit of consistency and contingency after the last 10/15 years of chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

10 points after those two would be great! Really solid performance today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

We were excellent today. Ok, we were saved by some dodgy defending when Abraham couldn't slot it past Lascelles but a very competent showing.

I'm delighted that Sky et al didn't get the "crisis club" narrative outcome they were peddling before the game. Always satisfying.

niallo27 wrote: »

Mike Ashley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

We have a descent run of games coming up too so hopefully can continue before the usual Christmas slump.

Nobody here has access to tickets then?

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Anybody here got access to tickets for the Liverpool game? I'm bringing the little fella over but finding it v hard to get tickets. Would pay a little over face value for 2 if anybody can source them.

Flights & hotel booked so we're going anyway, would be pity to not get to the match.

Tx in advance.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Nobody here has access to tickets then?

Tickets on membership sale. Sign up for the year and you'll get 2 tickets. Probably 50 quid for the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

where would people recommend to stay when over for a game ?

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    where would people recommend to stay when over for a game ?

There's loads of places but for convenience and knowing what it will be like I always stay at Jurys Inn. 5 min walk from central station, 10 min walk from the ground. There are 2 Jurys Inns so make sure it is the one not down by the (across the river). Decent walk from there.

M5 wrote: »
    Tickets on membership sale. Sign up for the year and you'll get 2 tickets. Probably 50 quid for the year

I was a member last year and used it a couple of times for me and others.. was hoping to piggy back someone elses membership this year.

No probs if nobody can facilitate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

Leslie91 wrote:
    There's loads of places but for convenience and knowing what it will be like I always stay at Jurys Inn. 5 min walk from central station, 10 min walk from the ground. There are 2 Jurys Inns so make sure it is the one not down by the (across the river). Decent walk from there.

I got tickets and a night in the copthorne hotel for the last game in may through thomas cook. Worked out cheap and handy location on the river

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Should be 2 or 3 nil, playing very well though. Merino is having a fantastic game.

Any decent striker up top and we are 5 up here

Joselu embarrassing himself against his old team. Showing them they were totally correct to let him go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

LASCELLES IS A RIDE

Going much better than expected this season lads. FOrget about the league position as its meaningless really, but look at the fact that we are almost 1/4 of the way to safety.

Have to pick out Merino and Ritchie as the driving force behind this. Their creativity and more importantly ball retention is key. Shelvey, for me, risks possession too much for the hollywood pass. Great when it comes off mind.

LAscelles and Clarke also look comfortable and Atsu causes problems.

I can see problems with scoring goals today. Josellu was badly shown up today missing 4 very presentable chances.

9pts clear of Palace tho ...

• Advertisement

Great win and only 31 points to go. Joselu creates balance in the team but they were some sitters missed yesterday gayle would have buried them and even mitro would have "maybe" got one.

Mbemba starting to feel comfortable at left back although though gamez was hard done by after a great game against Swansea.

Good to have yedlin back as he equally gives support going forward and defending.

Confidence getting better each week but we need to finish teams off when we get those chances.

Elliot great again. Some saves for the camera but he can enjoy them!

2 £15m players still needed ideally a defensive midfield engine to let Merino/shelvey play with all the freedom. And a No 10 to go behind joselu.

Got sorted with the tickets BTW lads... Called box office and one of the nice ladies there was able to sort me out with 2 in family stand. Up in the Gods but at least we will be there.

Brighton have some close shots at the moment..look most likely to score.

Very shaky at the back. Elliott has looked suspect 3 times sonfar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Joselu should be shot into the sun. Just start Mitro ffs.

It's painfully obvious why he wasn't able to break into stokes, ahem, glittering, forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

mit is banned, does rafa not favour Gayle?

I'd rather Gary Doherty tbh

hell put me up front..I'm a goal hanging bastard in 7 aside and even I could probably do better.
    When you hear of some of the wages these guys are on you're thinking wtf....
    Suddenly Ronaldo's and Messi's and their likes wages don't seem so bad when you hear Ox turns down 185k a week at Arsenal and he's bloody useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I remember Niall Quinn commentating on one of our games against Sunderland a few years ago and thinking that was bad but christ, Souness is really wrecking my head. 11 years later after running Newcastle into the ground, you'd think he'd have gotten over it but he's as bitter about us.

No mention of the stamp on Yedlin, similar to the king fu kick on mbemba against Huddersfield. Practically devoted half the show to Ritchies high foot that welding make contact, Mitro "elbow" (which by the laws of the game is a deserved suspension, but compared with mbemba?)

Seems trial by television reserved for certain clubs?

And from nowhere...

Benitez to be offered a new deal. Anyone willing to bet he won't sign till Feb 1?

Premier League back again, 3,200 head to Southampton.
    once again we are on tele, this is an unbelievable run of televised games

what do you guys think? obviously Merson has us losing again.....

4 winnable games coming up before heading to United. Richie and Atsu could be out with Shelvey wearing a splint for breaking up that training ground handbags.

id like Mitrovich to start maybe murphy in for Atsu, Gayle for perez and arrons for ritchie.

Merino signed permanently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge deal for us

Get in!!!

Broken finger for Shelvey apparently. Broke it separating Lascalles and Diame? Will play with a cast on it. Things never straightforward on Tyneside

• Advertisement

We're officially up for sale

Brilliant news. If the new owner is ambitious, there's a serious amount of potential for the club. I'd love to see some of that China or Arab money coming in, the fans deserve that much.

And Ashley confirms he wants the club sold by Christmas. Just keeps getting better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Jelly and ice cream around at your places tonight, yeah?

• Advertisement
Advertisement