Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Now a definite red card missed too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

G
    T
    F
    I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

whew!!! made it.

Besides the obvious motm, I thought that Diame was excellent. Breaking up together play and distributing well also. Quite a turn around from him

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Huge 3 points. With Southampton losing today too the game with Bournemouth in two weeks really has become a must win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Diame was super. Broke up everything. And could even pass today.

It was also one of shelvey best games. If he takes out 50% of the Hollywood passes and keeps them to 20 yards we are in on goal 2 or 3 times a game.

Hopefully slimani is fit and we can put away our chances.

3 away games coming up. At least 5 points needed I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Hard to believe we get held by Palace and Burnley but still manage to put in a performance like that against Utd. The mind really does boggle sometimes.
    Hopefully the lads use this win now and go on to get some points in the next few games. As you said fitz, but southhampton would be one 1 could see us getting 3 points from. Liverpool and Bournemouth will be tougher. 5 points would be best case I would think

5 is asking a lot I think. If we're still using 40 as the magic points mark then we need 12 from 11 games. We've been generally crap at home but beat Southampton, Huddersfield and West Brom at home and then scramble a few more points in other games.

We're away to Pool, Spurs and Everton while at home to Arsenal and Chelsea so really not an easy run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

With the last few second of Ire v France and NUFC vs Man U, I've lost all my nails and gone completely grey! SUPERB wins.

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote:
    5 is asking a lot I think. If we're still using 40 as the magic points mark then we need 12 from 11 games. We've been generally crap at home but beat Southampton, Huddersfield and West Brom at home and then scramble a few more points in other games.

The way things are shaping up in the bottom half in the table it's looking plausible for an unlucky team to get relegated with 40 points this season. Considering last time we got relegated it was with 37 points it is by no means a guarantee to safety!

I think closer to 45 points will keep us safe. the way the league is to get to 40, every team in the bottom 3 need 12-15 points in last 11 games.

that is basically 1 win from every 2-3 games, bar WBA the rest of the teams should be in high spirits. its going to be a tough run in but the way our fixtures list runs its not bad, we have winnable games in between the "big 6" teams.

We played city and United twice, of the other 4 teams if we play like we did on sunday we could sneak a win/draw out of them.

If it's a late scrum and theres a gap between the bottom and the top sides the safety target will be lower not higher by my calculations. Everyone beating each other keeps the average down.

35 could stay up, 37 will imo

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Depressing. Threw that away.
    Had chances to kill the game.
    Would have been 10th. Heart break

D_turbo wrote: »
    Depressing. Threw that away.
    Had chances to kill the game.
    Would have been 10th. Heart break

I know, and now with the prospect of playing an in-form liverpool as well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

• Advertisement

Perfect day, great win, maximum points drop from everyone around us! Mitro and Arma on a roll!

Huge 3 points. Results couldn't have gone better. 3 weeks break now which is tad unfortunate but something to look forward to

That's the best I think I've seen us play in a very long time. Should've been 5 or 6. Huge 3 points and hopefully sets us up for Huddersfield

Well job done today. Probably enough to secure safety!

The difference slimani made was marked! The defense actually had to think about defending. Not just about keeping their boots clean. Perez may have scored the goal but slimani was instrumental in the fist phase and dragged two men with him.

Gayle meanwhile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Big result today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Big result today...

If only, looking like 3 fantastic loan signings would be great to get all 3! Get work by all involved - Id imagine Rafa was heavily involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Congrats folks - never really doubted Rafa would do what was required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

With what resources were available he deserves a knighthood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I suspect he’d get a certain amount of personal satisfaction if he could catch Everton & Allardyce by season’s end. Certainly doable and a target to set for the squad.

You'd have to think one more win is enough. Beat West Brom at home and that's that. Everything beyond that is a bonus. The way the league is shaped, a good run in and we could somehow manage a 10th place finish

We're not worthy of King Rafa.

You have to think if Sociedad or one of those rumours come for him in the summer he'll be gone. Working miracles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Hi folks, 5 of us heading over for the last game of the season. I can get 4 tickets through membership and friend and family linkage through the ticket site. Looking to see if anyone here is a nufc.co.uk member and willing to link accounts so I could get a 5th when the time comes. Same would apply for you and you can use mine to get an extra 2 tickets etc. If you are up for it PM me. Thanks B~

The turnaround in results and performances has been remarkable. 1 defeat in our last 9 games. That one defeat was away in Anfield, and that run has 5 wins including four in a row. Also threw that 2-0 away at Bournemouth. All while having one of the weakest squads in the league. Brilliant to see. The difference a team with a bit of fight makes

13 points from Southampton and 13 from Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

4 wins on the bounce, when did Newcastle last do that in the PL? Hope Rafa takes them above Everton, he;d like that.

See my last post. Played some lovely stuff at times today.

4 wins on the bounce, when did Newcastle last do that in the PL? Hope Rafa takes them above Everton, he;d like that.

Probably 2011/12 when we came 5th so been waiting a while if so. Everton and West Brom to come. The potential with Rafa there is as high as it's been in a long time. Just need the club sold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

How did we actually manage to get rafa lads :-)

Struggling big time at Christmas, not a penny being spent by fat Ashley and rafa pulls Kennedy, dubravka and slimani out of the bag on loans, what a piece of management, pure class!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Is there any hope of Rafa staying beyond this season? Any rumours floating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

SlickRic wrote:
    Is there any hope of Rafa staying beyond this season? Any rumours floating?

If he doesn't get any spending money, I doubt it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Another fantastic hard fought win.

Diame and dummet have been fantastic the last 4-5 games.

Perez to.

What ever has happened arsenal?

Rumours going that Rafa has stated if the club can match his ambition he'd love to stay. Hwtl

Yeah I think Rafa has made it pretty clear he'll walk if he doesn't get funds to spend in the summer but will stay if he does. Hopefully he does he's been fantastic for the club. Have to say for a player I criticised last year, Mo Diame has been superb these last few weeks. He looks like he's finally playing a game that suits his physical attributes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Rafa is the best manager Newcastle have had since I started supporting them 25 yrs ago, it's a pity hel probably be gone to sociedad or possible Arsenal imo. He has promoted them and secured mid table with one of the worst teams in the premier league with a pathetic budget. Most teams are trying to hold onto their most talented managers but not us..

• Advertisement

The effort the team is putting in the last 10 weeks has been immense, goes to show the ability has always been there, we just need to show heart.

Mo Diame is a player I slated previously should now for me he is the one to beat as POTY he has been undroppable since the turn of the new year, his new PT deserves a job at NUFC

Not sure if it reflects bad on the league or not but this is a CHAMPIONSHIP squad picking up results against Arsenal,United and Leicester to name a few. 1 player from each of this squad is worth close to the same as we paid for our starting 11.

the board knows what is needed.... money and he stays... no money and he is gone, its simple as that

He needs to stay... Hopefully a good finish to the season shows the greater potential for the club.
    It has been a complete turnaround in the last 2 months, he does manage to get the best out of the team and he has the lads playing great.

Raw materials are there. Young side which with a few big additions could go places, sellout every week and one of the best stadiums. Think we were voted the second noisiest home and away fans recently. and obviously one of the best managers. A bit of investment could make all the difference

HAve to say that i'm pleasantly surprised at our recent form. Considering the form we were on before christmas you have to applaud rafa and the players for turning it around.

Major improvements from Diame, Shelvey, Ritchie along with the 3 new players has seen us completely rejuvenated, in fact we are 5th in the post christmas table (i know, I know)

Fingers crossed Rafa is backed this summer!

And as expected Ashley now wants more money to sell the club now that we're safe.
    So another parse summer where we buy ****all while he hopes to cash in and then having to loosen the purse strings come Jan when we're struggling again. That's even if Benitez sticks around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Blazer wrote: »
    And as expected Ashley now wants more money to sell the club now that we're safe.
    So another parse summer where we buy ****all while he hopes to cash in and then having to loosen the purse strings come Jan when we're struggling again. That's even if Benitez sticks around.

I know he's being a dick about it but the consortium whats her face was fronting was supposed to have 30BILLION behind it ... and they were reportedly arguing over 50m and a relegation clause ...

we're safe, pay the extra 50m and ensure rafa has chash to spend for the window

even if it was 100m ... sometimes you got to pay to buy something you want ...

• Advertisement

I know he's being a dick about it but the consortium whats her face was fronting was supposed to have 30BILLION behind it ... and they were reportedly arguing over 50m and a relegation clause ...

Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what someone wants to sell it for.

That 50 million could be the difference between signing a great player or a donkey.

Exactly, so why would they give that money to Ashley. It makes no sense giving him more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

The reason they have 30 billion is because they don't give up small sums easily. You might get an extra 10m out of them but never 50m and fat Mike knows this. He's hoping someone else comes in and a bidding war starts.

Icaras wrote: »
    The reason they have 30 billion is because they don't give up small sums easily. You might get an extra 10m out of them but never 50m and fat Mike knows this. He's hoping someone else comes in and a bidding war starts.

I can't imagine there is a queue outside his door.... he could play the waiting game and see what happens. The longer it goes on the weaker his position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement