Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

PauloConn wrote: »
    I can't imagine there is a queue outside his door.... he could play the waiting game and see what happens. The longer it goes on the weaker his position.

I hope so. The sooner he is gone the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Icaras wrote: »
    I hope so. The sooner he is gone the better.

Even thats not soon enough... given his physical condition, if anything were to happen to him, lets say a heart attack while polishing off a rake of pints and a few kebabs, where does that leave the sale of the club??? Does it fall to his legal team to sell it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Slimani loan finishes with 3 game ban.

will rafa make him permanent?
    is he worth taking a punt on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

fitzparker wrote: »
    Slimani loan finishes with 3 game ban.

will rafa make him permanent?
    is he worth taking a punt on?

Given we are getting shot of Mitrovic for lack of discipline, I'd imagine not

M5 wrote: »
    Given we are getting shot of Mitrovic for lack of discipline, I'd imagine not

I was thinking the same, Mitrovic is flying if Fulham go up i'd say close to 20 million would be fair enough for him

Id say 20 would be minimum TBH, set the championship on fire sice he left. Has been a huge element in Fulhams renaissance and also looking like winnning back to back player of the month awards.

with the potential of Swansea,Southampton, Huddersfield going down along with West Brom and stoke... would anyone take a punt on players from these teams?

The ones below would be my choice if we were to go with anyone, I get we should be aiming higher but all the below bar maybe Shaqiri and Tadic could be got for £20m or less

Swansea: Fabinanski, Mawson, Fer, Carroll, Clucas
    Huddersfield: Lowe, Mooy
    Stoke: Butland, Wimmer, Shaqiri
    Southampton: Forster, Stephens, Bertrant, Tadic, Lemina, Austin
    West Brom: Foster, Hegazi, Chadli, Krychowiak

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I'd take Joe Allen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

with the potential of Swansea,Southampton, Huddersfield going down along with West Brom and stoke... would anyone take a punt on players from these teams?

The ones below would be my choice if we were to go with anyone, I get we should be aiming higher but all the below bar maybe Shaqiri and Tadic could be got for £20m or less

If you think you could get Butland for less than £20m you must be taking bidding lessons from Mike Ashley:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

barring a shed load of city goals it isnt a valid scenario ... but Austin? ... he turned us down enough times already no?

Mawson ... thats about it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

For anyone looking for the game on Sky Sports PL

IMG_7382.jpg

Gotta say that was a fantastic season and much better than expected. The season as a whole was managed very effectively (eg. the panning we go for stifling Man city won us 3 places in the end), the rotation allowed us to play our strongest side in the run in consistently too with many players peaking at this time, perhaps as a result.

Fingers crossed the fat controller realises what he has with benitez and doesn't use this as another opportunity to try to run the club cheaper again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

He announced today Benitez could have every penny the club raises.
    I'm guessing the £30 million they will get for Lascelles who they will no doubt sell will include wages for any signings even though they weren't accounted for.
    Also he could have his company actually pay for the advertising in place at St James but again he won't do that either.
    I know the club is under a sounder footing compared to when it was under Shepherd but christ does Ashley get under your skin.

Blazer wrote: »
    I'm guessing the £30 million they will get for Lascelles who they will no doubt sell will include wages for any signings even though they weren't accounted for.
    Also he could have his company actually pay for the advertising in place at St James but again he won't do that either.
    I know the club is under a sounder footing compared to when it was under Shepherd but christ does Ashley get under your skin.

Pity he doesnt consider the 100m raised from tv money from last summer and the 100m from summer part of 'every penny raised by the club'

this line makes your blood boil, it is a championship squad, we are just lucky we have an unbelievable that brought them to great heights, Rafa to be gone by mid July of he doesn't get close to 80-100m, every game was a sellout this year it's not unrealistic, 5 players in that squad can push us towards a cup run or even 6/7th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hard to believe Florian Thauvin, the fella we paid 15m for 3 years ago and who did fcuk all while he was there has made the France squad for the WC ahead of the likes of Benzema, Payet, Martial, Lacazette. Now granted I haven't really seen or heard much from him since he moved back to Marseille where it seems he's been in good form. Makes you wonder why he never performed for us at all and was shipped out after 6 months.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Hard to believe Florian Thauvin, the fella we paid 15m for 3 years ago and who did fcuk all while he was there has made the France squad for the WC ahead of the likes of Benzema, Payet, Martial, Lacazette. Now granted I haven't really seen or heard much from him since he moved back to Marseille where it seems he's been in good form. Makes you wonder why he never performed for us at all and was shipped out after 6 months.

A lot of young players just don't suit the English league and need that further bit of development time.
    You only have to look at De Bruyne, Salah, Pique to know that young players in England are set up to fail rather than succeed due to the poor coaching, level of investment and the chairman's decision to chase success at any cost.
    And fans are equally to blame.
    If any of those players had stayed in England at their first go I pretty much guarantee they would have been average players only who would have been hounded by their inability to adjust to the game at the first attempt and the added pressure could have destroyed them.
    If Thauvin moved to England now he'd probably do a lot better.
    Also look at Bernardo Silva at City....had a fantastic season last year in France but Guardiola realises he needs some extra time to adjust to the tempo of English football and protected him and this will stand to him.
    Then look at Bakayoko who had a fantastic season last year in France and was basically thrown in at the deep end for Chelsea after they sold Matic who he was supposed to be an understudy to. He'd be better off moving abroad if he doesn't have a good season this year and build himself back up.

Pre season fixtures are up:

ST pats 17th July (Tuesday)
    Hull 24th July
    Porto 28th July

(All Away)

Augsburg 4th August (Home)

Balls the Pats game is a tuesday :(

• Advertisement

Christ we got fecked by the fixture generator!

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Christ we got fecked by the fixture generator!

Absolutely, terrible first 5 games and as usual january seems like another turn the TV off month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Ah has last year not taught us anything, we perform in big matches, 5 easy first games and we'd have 2 points and - 10 goal diff.
    Bring it on, but Rafa and signings just needed first

What do you guys make of the Merino deal that is supposedly happening.

Big loss although he wasn't getting near the starting 11 with Diame and Shelvey playing brilliant, I think eventually he would have got his chance and could have been a top top midfielder, I thought he still played enough games to be happy (24 all together). but once someone triggers a release clause (the whole 12m) we are in hot water.

I know colback is back but we may need someone a bit better :):)

Tadic for 18m i think is a steal but he is off to Ajax and Ashely wont get the cheque book out until August 20th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ki Sung-Yeung signs on a free transfer. That’s a shrewd one tbf, hopefully some actual money will be spent too though at some point.

Big fee for departing player, free transfer replacement. Excuse me for being cynical but this is the same ****e we have seen over and over again. It hasn't worked, and it won't work.

Unless the profits are invested elsewhere, and they probably won't, its another year of skirting relegation I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What do you guys make of the Merino deal that is supposedly happening.

Big loss although he wasn't getting near the starting 11 with Diame and Shelvey playing brilliant, I think eventually he would have got his chance and could have been a top top midfielder, I thought he still played enough games to be happy (24 all together). but once someone triggers a release clause (the whole 12m) we are in hot water.

I know colback is back but we may need someone a bit better :):)

Tadic for 18m i think is a steal but he is off to Ajax and Ashely wont get the cheque book out until August 20th

I hope not - the English window will have been closed 11 days at that stage :p

Maybe that's his plan, claim ignorance, and talk about all the lads he would've signed if he only had the chance?

Big fee for departing player, free transfer replacement. Excuse me for being cynical but this is the same ****e we have seen over and over again. It hasn't worked, and it won't work.

Unless the profits are invested elsewhere, and they probably won't, its another year of skirting relegation I'm afraid.

Reckon Rafa will stay if that's how things look to be shaping up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ki is a fantastic signing, especially on a free. He’s so underrated.

Loved him at Sunderland.

Paully D wrote: »
    Ki is a fantastic signing, especially on a free. He’s so underrated.

Loved him at Sunderland.

Forgot he played for ye, even worse signing than I thought ;)

So you're telling me he's been relegated twice?

Seriously though I'm sure he's decent, but with rafa holding the reins I'd like to see us show some semblance of ambition and quit scouring the bargain bin for players and actually go and pay the going rate for a decent player or two. Been 10 years of scraping the barrel and that time has been the worst in the clubs history in terms of position, growth, relegation etc etc. The cost of relegation far outweighs the cost of investing yet we continue to repeat the same mistakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ki Sung-Yeung signs on a free transfer. That’s a shrewd one tbf, hopefully some actual money will be spent too though at some point.

I havent seen too much of him tbf, might it be seen as a cheap shot at growing revenue in Asia, or will he actually complement the team?

Scrap that, having just looked through some youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdMcGm7ODs), he is shelvey-like, they probably will never be in the same team together, but with either playing we will at least have creativity in midfield.

Kennedy very close to joining on load with an option to buy.

Excellent news. He looked head and shoulders better than anything we had last season.

Let's hope it's a good option to buy, if it is its a win win for the club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Kennedy very close to joining on load with an option to buy.

Excellent news. He looked head and shoulders better than anything we had last season.

Let's hope it's a good option to buy, if it is its a win win for the club!

Very very good news. He was fantastic last season. Clearly he's a big fan of working under Rafa, he could have headed anywhere.

Apparently buy out is 22m which would be unbelievable

should be signing today, that's a great buyout, apparently the stumbling block is the buyback clause Chelsea want to put in.

is the Merino thing hearsay? been going on for 2 weeks now and we know his buy out is set at 10m.

There is no buyout clause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Excellent news with Kennedy. He was fantastic last season. Our new away kit is incredible too. First one I might pick up in about 5 seasons despite the shïte sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Duff wrote: »
    Excellent news with Kennedy. He was fantastic last season. Our new home kit is incredible too. First one I might pick up in about 5 seasons despite the shïte sponsor.

Away kit is pretty decent aswell this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    Away kit is pretty decent aswell this year

I actually meant away :pac: Edited.

god the logo is awful.
    Pity as the 3rd kit is sweet looking.

Rafa: we are looking at our third choice or lower targets

Fcuking yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I listened to Keegan describe what happened in second stint at Newcastle; 10 years on and absolutely nothing has been learned. I despise this "owner" of ours. What always us.

Thee have been a few learnings!

Get a decent manager and you can run it even cheaper

The fans will turn up no matter what you do

Promise players and managers the sun the moon and the stars and they will believe you.

Fans fall fro. The "we learned from our mistakes and will change" ****e even if you repeat it 2 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Dangerous game. Go with that approach and we will be relegated. What will force Ashley out?? A third relegation in 10 years?? Might be the only way to hit him in the pocket.

In his head bouncing back is easy!

Unfortunately we'll end up with no no salable players, a donkey manager and we will no bounce back for several years. We won't be any use as an advertising billboard at that stage so we'll be sold.

As long as we spend most of our time in the Pl it makes no sense to sell (hence rediculous 400m asking price)

we'll end up worse off than leeds...

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    we'll end up worse off than leeds...

Or maybe even worse! Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Or maybe even worse! Sunderland

I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enem.....

Oh, actually I would! :P

Paully D wrote: »
    I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enem.....

Oh, actually I would! :P

:D:D

So Benitez has had two offers to extend his contract and refused until he knows where the club stands as regards transfer fees.
    Ashely is refusing until he knows Benitez commits so standoff situation at the moment.
    After this bull**** Rafa will definitely walk either soon or next summer when his contract expires.

So Benitez has had two offers to extend his contract and refused until he knows where the club stands as regards transfer fees.
    Ashely is refusing until he knows Benitez commits so standoff situation at the moment.
    After this bull**** Rafa will definitely walk either soon or next summer when his contract expires.
    In the mean time the sels, mbemba and mitro money goes straight to the fat controller

Another player out, replaced by a cheaper alternative.

Bit of a pattern developing

• Advertisement

apparently we're making a loan bid for Wellbeck...bloody depressing
    Thank christ my 2nd team is Juve..at least it gives me something to look forward to.
    Maybe we might be able to go for Ronaldo when he's about 40 or so?

Advertisement