Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Curran book

• 06-10-2014 9:50pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone get this yet? should be an interesting read.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'll definitely be getting it.

I'm from Roscommon and know Shane well, but if even half the stories I've heard doing the rounds for over 20 years are true and they're included, this will be a cracker.

As a subject his life and antics have more entertainment potential than the huge majority of books written about sportspeople, it just depends who's writing it and what's kept in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

One of the nicest guys in the GAA. And a complete lunatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Hes a bit of a fool but should be a good read,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Definitely one of the more colourful characters in the recent history of the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Definitely one of the more colourful characters in the recent history of the GAA.

Was he anything special as a goalkeeper though ?

Those runs up the field are at the end of the day not what makes a good goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

cant see many, if any reason why somebody outside of Roscommon would buy it, he certainly wouldnt be of interest to people outside of Connacht anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

cant see many, if any reason why somebody outside of Roscommon would buy it, he certainly wouldnt be of interest to people outside of Connacht anyway.

Why do you think you speak for everyone outside of Connacht? I'm not from there but will probably read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Those runs up the field are at the end of the day not what makes a good goalkeeper.

He was actually. Unfortunate in 03 to miss out on an all star IMHO. Kicking long range frees and solo runs up the field sometimes hid how good he was. Was also a very good forward, who played full forward in championship in the early 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He was actually. Unfortunate in 03 to miss out on an all star IMHO. Kicking long range frees and solo runs up the field sometimes hid how good he was. Was also a very good forward, who played full forward in championship in the early 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

scored 1-1 in 2004 v Sligo, including a peno and last minute free from way out on the sideline to tie the game and let in a peno too.

that's 6 years before Cluxton was kicking frees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Rubbish. I deffo plan on reading it & last time I checked, I wasn't from either Roscommon or Connaught...wherever the heck they are....:P

I know that the crazy man antics are part of his schick, but he is actually a very eloquent & passionate speaker on a wide range of topics, if you listen to him long enough. I've heard him on Off The Ball a few times, and I think he would be a much better permanent contributor, than that Colm Parkinson muppet !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anyone get this yet? should be an interesting read.
    Here's a brief summary....

An attention seeker in school.

An attention seeker when playing minor.

An attention seeker when playing senior.

An attention seeker when a TV camera was near.

Can you spot the trend??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bruschi wrote: »
    Why do you think you speak for everyone outside of Connacht? I'm not from there but will probably read it.

so, you're honestly telling me that you are going to go out and buy this book?

good luck to you if thats the case, ive much better ways to spend my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Then don't buy it. There is a thriving Irish market for sports biographies. The number of book publishing companies that are willing to put their money where their mouth is & offer sports people book deals, is a proof of that. As well as getting a book deal, Shane Curran is a regular on the Second Captains TV show, Off The Ball on Newstalk and the RTE weekend panel discussions. Seeing as the wider world outside of Roscommon is willing to give the man a pay check to hear him speak, I'd say this book could do quite well. Looking down on him & it, just because its not the autobiography of a multiple AI winner is snobbery, plain & simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gdawg87

Fine you spend your money on paying Irish Water. I'll be spending mine on this book.

And I'm from Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Bought this yesterday and I'm flying through it, its a very enjoyable read so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭royrogers

What's the name of it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

royrogers wrote: »
    What's the name of it??

Cake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Well he played LOI for Athlone in the 90's so he must have been more than capable at the fundamental aspects of goalkeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

he is still a decent keeper and won at all ireland club medal at 42 just last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just finished the book.
    I found it very entertaining, not least because I knew a lot of the characters in it.
    What comes across in the book and always does when talking to him, is how positive a person he is. None of the usual negative claptrap so prevalent in the West. He loves life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Bought it,Read it in a day,Alot of laugh out loud moments a very good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Anyone that has seen him play more than a wet day can tell you how talented a goalkeeper he was, and remains. His variation of kick-outs and execution of it long pre-dates Osin or Tomas O'Se slobbering over Cluxton's kicking and Cake has always been an excellent shot-stopper. Everyone knows he was taking placed balls long before it was in vogue too. He is one of the biggest innovators in goal in the history of gaelic football, whether you like him or sneer at him.

Equal parts crazy and talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

I thought it was a very enjoyable read. Aside from his sporting attributes, I did admire his attitude in the face of his business folding during the crash and how he had the resolve to still go and set up another business, a business that was away from what he as so used to. The honesty of how he (and I imagine a lot of others) were feeling closing shop for the last time and how as a family they persevered was very up front and open I found.

I don't agree with everything he has to say but they are his ideas and he's put them out there, we all do the same, only in anonymous form on boards.ie etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Reading it now, very enjoyable so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Reading it now, very enjoyable so far

Thought it was fairly rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Couldn't disagree more. Hugely entertaining read. One of gaelic footballs great characters. The story about the penalty saga in the Connaught minor final is priceless. Every sport is the better for larger than life characters and Curran was certainly one of those on the football pitch.

Advertisement