Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting and water charges

Options
  • 06-10-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hoping for some advice. We are renting a house and have a very good relationship with the landlord, no issues at all.
    This evening she rang and said she'd received the water charges pack and if she could get our PPS numbers off us this week. She did say that she hadn't done any research on this and I am the same.

My question is if I don't give her our PPS numbers can she be held liable or will they chase us? I don't want to put her in an awkward position but at the same time don't want to be too quick to give Irish Water our details.

I'd appreciate any advice on this... Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Water is a utility, the same as the gas/oil and electric. Therefore, the tenant pays.

As I understand it, the landlord will be held liable for the bill if the tenant defaults. Have you contacted Irish Water to clarify? That would be the first step and would make more sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Yes I'm aware that it's a utility and it's the tenants responsibility, however I wasn't aware that Irish water were forcing the landlords to do their jobs for them! I'm looking for unbiased advice and I don't think Irish water will provide that, however I might give them a call tomorrow out of curiosity. Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I'm in the same boat as you, I don't really want to give them my details, but if I don't, I don't get the free allowance and end up paying significantly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wouldn't hand over your pps number at all and a landlord can't force you to give it to them just so they can pass it to IW .

Data protection comes to mind

There's using the threat of loosing allowances to force people to hand over your pps .

Personally I believe it's just a scare tactic

Gatling wrote: »
    I wouldn't hand over your pps number at all and a landlord can't force you to give it to them just so they can pass it to IW .

There's using the threat of loosing allowances to force people to hand over your pps .

I'm afraid if I don't give her the details that she will be held liable? I'd like to be able to make this decision myself as opposed to being put under pressure by the landlord if you get me?

• Advertisement

m'lady wrote: »
    I'm afraid if I don't give her the details that she will be held liable? I'd like to be able to make this decision myself as opposed to being put under pressure by the landlord if you get me?

That's the ideas there's making you feel pressured to comply or else .
    I can't see them forcing landlords to pay either I know for a fact my landlord isn't signing up or demanding we sign up .

According to the threshold website tenants are liable for payment's and iw cant not turn off your water but may take legal action in future

"In some cases charges may be included in the rent so check with your landlord. In most cases tenants, as occupiers, will be liable for paying domestic water charges in the same way as tenants usually pay for electricity, gas, bin charges etc.

When will the charges start?

The domestic water charges will apply from 1st October 2014 and bills will start being issued in January 2015.

How much will I have to pay?

The Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) has set out water charges which will apply to domestic customers from 1stOctober 2014 to 31st

December 2016, covering water supply and wastewater disposal.

The metered unit rates are €2.44 per thousand litres for one service and €4.88 for both services.

The assessed charges for unmetered households will equate to a charge of €176 for a household with one adult andapproximatelyan extra €102 for each additional adult.

All customers will have their total water charges capped at the unmetered assessed charge for 9 months.

This will depend on your water usage and the free allowances that apply in your circumstances. Whilst some properties will be metered others such as apartments will not be metered initially.

Iit is estimated that the average household will pay €240 the charges.

Each household will receive a free allowance of 30,000 litres of water (and a corresponding amount of waste water treated) a year. (The average household uses about 140,000 litres of water per year)

All households will have an allowance of 30,000 litres per annum.

An allowance of 21,000 litres per annum will be available per child.

Will I be exempt from charges if I have special medical needs?

For medical conditions which require increased water useage this will be capped at the assessed rate for that household, even where there is a meter installed.

What if I cannot pay the bill?

Whilst no details have been announced yet, Irish Water are expected to provide a range of payment options similar to payment systems for the other utility services.

If you do not pay the bill, Irish Water will not be able to disconnect the service but may reduce water pressure in order to restrict supply. Irish Water may however take legal action"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Someone is billed for water used from now on.

If OP does not register, they do not receive allowance so bill will be higher. If the first one isn't paid by OP or has to be paid by LL, it will be deducted from OPs deposit.

I am delighted that they are taking up PPS numbers, that way it Is easier for the debt to follow the person who doesn't pay their bill.

OP your LL is not responsible for registering you, as the tenant, you are. You will have received a pack at the address you are renting, it may not be addressed to you but it is for the occupant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry, but that is very real. No PPS number and they'll just assume it is somebody's second house.

davo10 wrote: »

If OP does not register, they do not receive allowance so bill will be higher. If the first one isn't paid by OP or has to be paid by LL, it will be deducted from OPs deposit.

I am delighted that they are taking up PPS numbers, that way it Is easier for the debt to follow the person who doesn't pay their bill.

OP your LL is not responsible for registering you, as the tenant, you are. You will have received a pack at the address you are renting, it may not be addressed to you but it is for the occupant.

Almost sounds like a IW statement .

The op can choose how she/he chooses to proceed .

The landlord won't be chased .

A minor detail.

For a lot of people and I mean a lot of people IW is just another piece of junk mail and should be treated accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I think it's absolutely right that they take pps numbers and I will no longer rent my flat to anyone who won't provide me with their pps numbers. Otherwise tenants are just going to continually walk away from their obligations.

• Advertisement

As stated in my OP the landlord has received the pack- I have received nothing. So am I right to assume this pack she received is actually for me then?

I think it's absolutely right that they take pps numbers and I will no longer rent my flat to anyone who won't provide me with their pps numbers. Otherwise tenants are just going to continually walk away from their obligations.

Well I suggest you seek legal advice first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Well I suggest you seek legal advice first

For the water charges. I'm being asked to, remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

As stated in my OP the landlord has received the pack- I have received nothing. So am I right to assume this pack she received is actually for me then?

No. The pack the landlord received is for her to register the property if she is liable for the bill - if the property is vacant, a holiday home etc.
    You should receive a pack directly to the rented accommodation addressed to the occupant/householder - this is for you to register. Only the person due to pay the bill at any property should register. It seems that application packs for rented properties (and possibly other homes as well) are still arriving.....

For the water charges. I'm being asked to, remember.

But according legal professionals you cant legally do it ,

Ie. demand somebodys pps number with the sole purpose of handing it over to a third party .
    Are you a private landlord or a business thats under contract to supply pps numbers to iw

Almost sounds like a IW statement .

The op can choose how she/he chooses to proceed .

The landlord won't be chased .

A minor detail.

For a lot of people and I mean a lot of people IW is just another piece of junk mail and should be treated accordingly
    "Almost sounds like a IW statement ." - do not attack peoples' comments like this.

"For a lot of people and I mean a lot of people IW is just another piece of junk mail and should be treated accordingly" - do not make comments that could get people into legal or financial problems.

I will no longer rent my flat to anyone who won't provide me with their pps numbers.
    Note that only designated parties can collect / store PPS numbers
    No. It is meant for the landlord. In this case, they are meant to indicate name of the tenant(s).

Victor wrote: »
    "Almost sounds like a IW statement ." - do not attack peoples' comments like this.

"For a lot of people and I mean a lot of people IW is just another piece of junk mail and should be treated accordingly" - do not make comments that could get people into legal or financial problems.

Note that only designated parties can collect / store PPS numbers

No. It is meant for the landlord. In this case, they are meant to indicate name of the tenant(s).

Just the name and not the pps numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

My landlord sent us on the pack she got so we could register. As far as I remember there's a space on her form for us to register as tenants. Should I be waiting to get my 'own' pack to the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Did anyone else not get a pack from IW yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Not according to what Irish Water told me (landlord) when I called having received a package in respect of my rental property. Their FAQ indicates this is sent in case the property is vacant at the time, in which case LL is liable. What it inconveniently doesn't do is tell you exactly what you're supposed to do if it's rented (see here http://tinyurl.com/k6s24ka), it just says the tenant is to confirm their details.

I phoned IW to ask what my responsibilities are - I really didn't want to collect PPSNs for my tenant's children (intrusive, data protection issues, confusion re liability to charges). IW said they would send a pack out to the tenant for her to complete, and I need not do anything further.

If anyone's getting calls from their landlords, I suggest telling them to let IW know the property is rented and then IW will issue a pack to the address.

I think the reason for issuing to the property owner is as simple as what they're saying - if the property is unoccupied, it can simply be treated as a second home and the landlord is liable for €125 p/a, or pro rata for the period for which the property's not occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

+ all the houses in my courtyard. I'm giving them to the end of the week and if they haven't arrived by then I'm ringing them to get them to send it out. Its ridiculous that their incompetence could cost people money- wouldn't mind if you could just sign up online but you need the blasted pin from the pack to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

tinz18 wrote: »
    + all the houses in my courtyard. I'm giving them to the end of the week and if they haven't arrived by then I'm ringing them to get them to send it out. Its ridiculous that their incompetence could cost people money- wouldn't mind if you could just sign up online but you need the blasted pin from the pack to do that.

Haven't got ours either. Don't know about the neighbours as haven't talked to them yet. Glad I'm not the only one but will be ringing by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Note that only designated parties can collect / store PPS numbers.

Landlords are designated parties - they have to submit PRTB forms which ask for tenants PPS numbers.

Or are you saying landlords are designated parties for the PRTB forms but not designated parties for Irish Water forms?

Landlords are designated parties - they have to submit PRTB forms which ask for tenants PPS numbers.

Or are you saying landlords are designated parties for the PRTB forms but not designated parties for Irish Water forms?
    With the PRTB registration form, the PRTB is asking for the PPSN, not the landlord. However, the general understanding is that is not obligatory for the tenant to give it (not every tenant will have one, e.g. foreign students).

These are the designated parties:
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-Register-of-Users.aspx
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/PPSN-Register-of-Users---Other-Users.aspx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You may be overstepping the mark if you intend to use your tenants PPSN for anything other than PRTB registration:

11.3 Can my Landlord request my PPSN?

Yes, there is a statutory basis for a landlord to seek the PPSN of their tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 and section 11 of the Social Welfare (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004. This information is required for registration with the Private Residential Tenancy Board (PRTB). However, Landlords are authorised to use the PPSN of tenants for registration with the PRTB only. No other use should be made of the PPSN and it must be kept confidential.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Use-of-PPSN/1247.htm

Another thing to think about for those that are unemployed or are disability or illness benefits ,
    IW will go directly to social welfare to get your details and sign you up regardless thanks to legislation signed last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Another thing to think about for those that are unemployed or are disability or illness benefits ,
    IW will go directly to social welfare to get your details and sign you up regardless thanks to legislation signed last year

Only if they use water and incur a charge, same as a phone or electricity. If you use it, you pay for it just like everybody else.

Like others, I am happy the PPS numbers are being sought as it makes it easier to track those who don't pay. I wouldn't be unhappy if they set up a system like the property tax where it is deducted at source if payment is not made by the user.

Only if they use water and incur a charge, same as a phone or electricity. If you use it, you pay for it just like everybody else.

Like others, I am happy the PPS numbers are being sought as it makes it easier to track those who don't pay. I wouldn't be unhappy if they set up a system like the property tax where it is deducted at source if payment is not made by the user.

So those whom are most vulnerable can be directly targeted regardless of if they choose to or not to sign up ,

Taxpayers can say no im not signing up or handing over pps numbers but those on benifits dont get a say on the matter and will be signed up directly through there socal welfare details,

So whats to say iw won't seek to have payments detucted from source especially for those on benefit's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

So whats to say iw won't seek to have payments detucted from source especially for those on benefit's

There is no statutory basis for them to do this. Suggestion that it's possible under the current law is just scare mongering.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    There is no statutory basis for them to do this. Suggestion that it's possible under the current law is just scare mongering.

No its not saying its scare mongering just to totally dismiss it is wrong ,personally i believe it wouldn't take much discussion with the powers that be to allow it in the future

Advertisement