Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild rhubarb - best way to get rid?

• 07-10-2014 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

If only we could eat the stuff - is there anyone who has successfully eliminated this scourge from their land(s)?

Should I hire someone's pigs and get them to eat it? Can they eat it?
    All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Here is some advice from Mayo CoCo who have a serious problem out in Achill.

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Heritage/GunneratinctoriaGiantrhubarb/File,8428,en.pdf

If you can dig the plant out that is your best option, but careful on the disposal. Then Follow up with glyphosate (roundup) on it regularly until it finally disappears.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how bad an infestation do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had it planted in a herb/veg patch by the previous owners, and it was HUGE.

We wanted to change it into a flowerbed and it took a lot of work, especially digging up the rhubarb, its roots were really deep. It was like digging up a tree.

Hopefully I got it all !

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cottagebound

Hi, no way will I be using Roundup!!! (monsanto b**stards) We try to stay away from pesticides and I don't want the surrounding ground contaminated with that stuff.

I don't know, there's gotta be a way to get rid of it another way.

Can you make beer out of it? What about a new trend of wild rhubarb beer or wine?

I saw some sheep chomping on it - didn't seem to kill them.

We have about 20 plants in the front garden. Looks like I will have to carry out a clean up operation on my own somehow, and as you say dig them up. Sounds like it's going to be a forensic job.

thanks for replies.

What animal will eat it? A chilean Llama alpaca? A capybarra or coypu (guinea pig)

I have researched this and there is a dearth of info regarding this plant - the chileans eat the new shoots, there is also a dye to be made from it (black) which is used to tan leather.

There has to be a use for it.

It's very worrying to me that any aul farmer Sean can drive down to his local gardening shop and buy a can or two of Roundup, and spread it on his land with impunity, near lakes and/or rivers. Herbicides/pesticides cannot be the answer seeing as we know the effects of these toxic substances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I had a "patch" about 8 meters by 3. Last year at the height of summer I cut all the leaves and flower spikes off the plant (about 40 minutes work),
    and this summer I have been regularly cutting off the small new leaves as they emerge, hoping to weaken the plants. I'd say I will be doing it for at least another year as the plants are amazingly tough. I did try the glyphosate approach previously but it had very little effect.

Bixy, that sounds like as good a plan as any other. I did try to dig one up and it wasn't really that difficult to get the roots out despite what is written about them. My bro drove his shiny new tractor over them and squashed a few thinking he was doing me a favour but he just spread them!

Advertisement