Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non monetary benefits

Options
  • 07-10-2014 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

I've a friend who is an experienced web developer and he was recently telling me about the benefits he receives in his company. I'm wondering how common these are and what other types of benefits are on offer in software development?

He gets 26 days holidays a year (increasing yearly up to a point), life assurance, health insurance and profit share in the company. As well as yearly salary reviews. He seems quite happy. Would these be standard, or is there even a standard? I'm hoping to be a developer eventually so I'm just curious as to what's currently out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Elessar wrote: »
    He gets 26 days holidays a year (increasing yearly up to a point), life assurance, health insurance and profit share in the company.

Yep for most multi-nationals I imagine.

I'd also expect a company to participate in the monthly/annual tax saver tickets for public transport, which doesn't cost them anything except some extra administration.

Also, no mention of a pension scheme.
    Some companies will contribute to your pension scheme if you contribute, up to a max of around 5% of your salary, ie. if you put in 5% then they'll match it.

Start-up companies might offer potentially lucrative share options before the company floats on the stock exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Start-up companies might offer potentially lucrative share options before the company floats on the stock exchange.
    Oooo, magic beans!

Oooo, magic beans!

Those magic beans paid for my wedding, a car and a mediterrean cruise.
    You just have to pick the right horse in the IPO race :)

You just have to pick the right horse in the IPO race :)
    Which is my point; using any criteria to choose a job that can be likened to betting on the horses is probably not such a good idea.

Which is my point; using any criteria to choose a job that can be likened to betting on the horses is probably not such a good idea.

I wasn't suggesting taking share options as opposed to the other benefits.
    Just that if you start work in a start-up, certainly doesn't hurt to get/request share options on top of your usual benefits. Assuming they want to go public at some stage.

• Advertisement

I wasn't suggesting taking share options as opposed to the other benefits.
    Just that if you start work in a start-up, certainly doesn't hurt to get/request share options on top of your usual benefits. Assuming they want to go public at some stage.
    Well when advising someone who does not know that share options are a crapshoot that loses 19 times out of 20 not putting that caveat in pretty much suggests that. Not blaming you, but if you didn't know that they're normally worthless, and you got your advice, you might be tempted to consider them more valuable than they actually are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Probably jsut varies from place to place, but you can always ask for something if you have it in mind.

Mine are:
    Phone with bills paid (this is extra nice for international calls and data roaming)
    high % pension matching
    bonus is very big (but with bonus' you may not get one of course)
    life assurance
    Get a good bit of time off at christmas which is not annual leave.
    Would like to get health insurance included next time.

But would not know what is "standard", everybody I know seems to have different setups.
    Just an idea of some things out there.

Advertisement