Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Ryanair planes wings clip each other.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

wazky wrote: »
    Is Michael still here? Where are you Michael?

You're still here!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92509701&postcount=34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Frynge wrote: »
    And instead of a mouth it had four arses.

Who? Michael?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Saw a German ad one where two jets raced each other Bad Boys style around the apron, was very funny, can't find it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

An inconsequential incident that has happened many times before with many airlines. I'm surprised people still aren't haranguing Aer Lingus after Flight 712 in the late 60's. 61 people dead and they still don't know why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

So much wrong in this post, I don't even know where to begin. :rolleyes:

Seriously I cant understand Ryanair haters. A fantastic Irish company to be proud of.

A company that is known internationaly for the rudeness of its staff,for hitting customers with hidden costs,a company ran by an arrogant litigious sociopath who has ruthlessly tried to supress any exposure of unfit practise in his company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

darkdubh wrote: »
    A company that is known internationaly for the rudeness of its staff,for hitting customers with hidden costs,a company ran by an arrogant litigious sociopath who has ruthlessly tried to supress any exposure of unfit practise in his company.

Ah well, at least Hogan has been exported to Europe! :D

Can the real Michael please stand up?

There are no hidden costs.

Never encountered any rude staff members and I fly with them a lot.

Hidden costs, whaa? Abide by the rules and you'll have no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

An inconsequential incident that has happened many times before with many airlines. I'm surprised people still aren't haranguing Aer Lingus after Flight 712 in the late 60's. 61 people dead and they still don't know why.

Its Aer Lingus, they do no wrong, a good while back they had an engine failure on their A330, same a/c about a month later the same engine blew up on takeoff out of LAX, who engine was replaced, not a dicky bird said about it. Thats the way it is, if its a Shamrock they do no wrong, if its a Harp they do everything wrong

Wouldn't be surprised if O Leary sues the op,he is is kind of touchy about online criticism.

Cant said I'd blame him for the post below.

billie1b wrote: »
    Its Aer Lingus, they do no wrong, a good while back they had an engine failure on their A330, same a/c about a month later the same engine blew up on takeoff out of LAX, who engine was replaced, not a dicky bird said about it. Thats the way it is, if its a Shamrock they do no wrong, if its a Harp they do everything wrong

Is this then where the phrase "to harp on about it" comes from? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Never encountered any rude staff members and I fly with them a lot.

Hidden costs, whaa? Abide by the rules and you'll have no problems.

It really is mind boggling. The charges are clearly laid out yet people arrive without a boarding pass and are stunned that they are charged extra.
    The first time in recent years that I flew ryanair, I was sure I was going to be dealing with unfair practices based on what I had read. I therefore carefully measured and weighed my hand luggage to insure it met the specs allowed. It was just at the limit of allowable size and I honestly had prepared myself for quite a battle with the unfair ryanair staff.
    When I arrived at the airport, my bag was lost within the cage used for checking bag size. They seemed to be at least allowing about 20 percent over size and even at that, people were being allowed to beat their bags into the cages. The only person I saw charged that day was a lady with a bag that was about twice the allowable size.

http://www.travelerstoday.com/articles/2948/20120906/ryanair-ceo-michael-oleary-calls-passengers-idiots.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10319838/Ryanair-worst-brand-for-customer-service.html

From Wiki:

His abrasive management style, ruthless pursuit of cost-cutting and his explicitly hostile attitude towards corporate competitors, airport authorities, governments, unions and customers has become a hallmark.[26] He was reported to have been aggressive and hostile in dealings with a woman who was awarded free flights for life in 1988.[

His treatment of the woman mentioned above was nothing short of disgracefull and mean spirited in the extreme..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

None of the charges are hidden, despite what the Guardian might say. They are all there written in black and white for anyone to see.

You cannot book a Ryanair flight without checking the box that confirms you have read and agree to all the T & Cs, which include all the unhidden charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Delta Kilo wrote: »

In all fairity that was a perfectly idiotic place to put a building. Bladdy Boers!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I bet Mr O'Leary will be crying into his pillow tonight at the thought that some randomer on the internets doesn't like him. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I spent almost 5 hours in the most boring airport in the world (Bristol) on Sunday night because my Ryanair flight was delayed for 3 hours so I'm not in the most pro-Ryanair mood but generally, there's not much to complain about.

They're usually cheaper, usually on time (I've just had a run of bad luck with them recently) and they seem to be trying a little lately, taking paypal and group bookings, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I cannot believe there are still people in this world that don't get how ryanair works! You don't like them? Don't use them, it really is that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

http://www.travelerstoday.com/articles/2948/20120906/ryanair-ceo-michael-oleary-calls-passengers-idiots.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10319838/Ryanair-worst-brand-for-customer-service.html

From Wiki:

His abrasive management style, ruthless pursuit of cost-cutting and his explicitly hostile attitude towards corporate competitors, airport authorities, governments, unions and customers has become a hallmark.[26] He was reported to have been aggressive and hostile in dealings with a woman who was awarded free flights for life in 1988.[

His treatment of the woman mentioned above was nothing short of disgracefull and mean spirited in the extreme..

lol, he is mean to women? Is that the bottom of the barrel I hear being scraped?

I bet Mr O'Leary will be crying into his pillow tonight at the thought that some randomer on the internets doesn't like him. :rolleyes:

Do you know something?I bet it too.What amazing insight you have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I heard 8 thousand people died.

The Daily Mail left that bit out.

There must have been no Britons among the dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Nice! 2 links with no commentary.
    The guardian link is to an email published in their letters section.
    The guy complains that you used to be able to check in 15 days before a flight, and now you can only check in 7 days before a flight. I mean, who cares?
    He then goes on to complain about a hidden €5 or €10 charge, which isn't actually hidden. It's the price it costs to reserve a seat. Lots of airlines do this, like Aer Lingus.
    I mean, if you want to have seat reservation for "free", then go with a more expensive airline, but I'd bet the difference in price is much more than a fiver each way...

The second article is another expletive-filled rant by somebody that got posted on the "high brow" about.com page. It features complaints about the cost to print a boarding pass.
    As we know, this was changed ages ago and is no longer a valid complaint. So Darkdubh, what else do you have?

Are you just winding people up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I had a good laugh at this comment from some fuckwit over on the facebook.

"Irish love to hate Ryanair..and still choose to fly with them cause they can't afford with others."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

This is a day that will live long the memory.

07/10/14

Never Forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I heard 8 thousand people died.

i heard jeremy clarkson was the pilot

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Its all grand.Michael O Learly is a funny man who poses for zany pictures and does that thing where he sticks out his arms pretending to be a plane.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Business/Business_competitions/pictures/2011/10/24/1319446550811/Michael-OLeary-007.jpg

• Advertisement

Its all grand.Michael O Learly is a funny man who poses for zany pictures and does that thing where he sticks out his arms pretending to be a plane.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Business/Business_competitions/pictures/2011/10/24/1319446550811/Michael-OLeary-007.jpg

Jayzes, the way people go on, you'd swear he ran the company on his own :rolleyes:

BBDBB wrote: »
    i heard jeremy clarkson was the pilot

No. This happened in Dublin, not Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Chucken wrote: »
    No. This happened in Dublin, not Argentina.
    After he was kicked out of Argentina he went to Dublin and flew a Ryanair plane into another Ryanair plane. His tail number was FAMINE4LYF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

All this ' clipping ' going on , first love-hate , now ryanair , before we know it they all be clipping each other in Dalkey , at least it's still confined to the north side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Cut wing tips off planes => plane is lighter => uses less fuel => cheaper flights for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Listen everyone knows these dark mornings the wing mirrors are all steamed up and pilot probably forgot to wipe back window...it happens, maybe the air filter needs changing.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Something like this was bound to happen sooner or later.Its a wonder they diden't just carry on as normal,to save money you know.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1007/650519-ryanair-dublin-airport/

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

It has happened me in Heathrow with BA in the past, people under pressure, but it is hardly a major drama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rawr

This was probably one of Ryanair's secret self-flying planes.

Used as a cost cutting measure to save on pilot salaries, Ryanair's patented "Low Fares Robo Flyer" was an auto-pilot designed to fly the plane from gate-to-gate while updating the passengers in an unintelligible Spanish accent.

It was part of a larger scheme of replacing the cabin-crew with vending machines at either end of the plane. The planned machines would sell microwavable panini's (for use in the coin-operated microwave oven), BullsEye Baggies, and in the event of a water landing: life-jackets, for the low-low price of €2 each.

As a bonus, the software also included the ability to intercept and clip the tail fins of competitor's aircraft. This is what the wiglets are really designed for. However, due to the tight 20-minute turn around time window, several computers have not had their 'do-not-clip' list fully updated with the entire list of Ryanair planes.

This probably resulted in today's clipping incident. The Robo Flyer didn't recognize it's neighbor as a friendly Ryanair, and clipped it as per program. Ryanair's repairs will likely include an update of the Robo Flyer to prevent this in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Cut wing tips off planes => plane is lighter => uses less fuel => cheaper flights for all.

I'm assuming this is tongue in cheek, because if not, it's just wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I can;t wait to see how O'Leary spins this one. It will be gold. If there's one thing he can do it's spin good publicity.

I would imagine he'll just say that they (Ryannair) are investigating the matter since he himself will hardly have the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

A friend of mine was on one of the planes this morning.
    Im gonna spend the day telling people that now.
    Better practice my :eek: face.

Oh just WAIT until I tell Fidelma!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It would be much worse if the plane crashed and all the passengers were killed. No one was injured, thank god. Human error, you must never have been a victim of it.

and I'd much rather any human error to occur when the plane is only doing 15 kph, rather than 800 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Ah thats nothing, they have spare ones in the boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what exactly air Dublin Airport staff doing that such incidents occur.
    It's easy to just say 'it's Ryanair' blah blah blah, but they were under the control of the tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

A lot of us are Michael going by this thread. I must be Michael too. ;)
    Chucken wrote: »
    I'm Michael :)
    jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm Michael, and so is my wife!! :D

Why are you all saying that you're Michael?

I'M Michael!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

what exactly air Dublin Airport staff doing that such incidents occur.
    It's easy to just say 'it's Ryanair' blah blah blah, but they were under the control of the tower.

Wingtip clearance isn't a controller's responsibility. Let's not point fingers like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement