Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapskate employers??

• 07-10-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭

As its coming up to that time of year again (i know, i know, Halloween is not even over yet...) I've been starting to look at presents and trying to work out a budget because I can see myself being stuck come January if I'm not careful.

Any-who I was thinking that I only have roughly 3 wages until xmas and thats it, and then I was thinking it would be nice to get a bonus or something small for the holidays. Currently my employer does not give and bonuses or extra bumps for the holidays which is really starting to get to me as I know lots pf people getting a little bit extra on the side. Granted the tax man may take a nice chunk of it but it's still always nice to have an extra few bob in the wallet over xmas.

What do you think is the norm for xmas bumps and are you happy with yours?? Do you despise your friends for what they are getting??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Most people realise Christmas comes every year and plan accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I worked in a hotel a while ago who could patent cheap.
    They would expect you to come in for 2 hours work (I lived an hour away), they'd pay you for two hours, then they would complain that the place wouldn't be clean (they got rid of the cleaner) and we were getting in trouble for it even though they wouldn't give us enough hours to clean.
    We had to be in 30 mins before our first appointment unpaid to put on the heating and light the candles, and then unpaid while we locked up, did end of day and cashed up.

My manager suggested to me that I might stay on for an extra hour (unpaid) once a week to "catch up" on the cleaning to keep the general manager off our backs.

That's cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I worked in a hotel a while ago who could patent cheap.
    They would expect you to come in for 2 hours work (I lived an hour away), they'd pay you for two hours, then they would complain that the place wouldn't be clean (they got rid of the cleaner) and we were getting in trouble for it even though they wouldn't give us enough hours to clean.
    We had to be in 30 mins before our first appointment unpaid to put on the heating and light the candles, and then unpaid while we locked up, did end of day and cashed up.

My manager suggested to me that I might stay on for an extra hour (unpaid) once a week to "catch up" on the cleaning to keep the general manager off our backs.

That's cheap!

Jaysus. I have had bad employers but this.. I'm lost for words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I worked for a large multinational company that actually gave some employees a 10 Euro Christmas bonus one year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

What my boss wouldn't give to be a tight cnut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

Allot of people do get a bump even more don't. Yeah some employers are dicks making money hand over fist and not giving the people who make that money from them a touch during Christmas. I have fond on a whole bigger companies don't which is fair enough as if they gave it to every one it would be quite a expenses some smaller companies just cant afford to give away money and some can I don't begrudge anyone getting a few extra quid around the holidays I have been a recipient of this generosity in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I worked for a place who were on at me to get 2 weeks ahead in my work so that I could take my two weeks annual leave. When I said it wasn't possible to get it done in working hours they suggested I come in early or stay late (unpaid) to get ahead.

I said no and pointed out that I'm a single parent and then they suggested I bring my child in at the weekend for a few hours to get it done. I laughed.
    Next day I applied for a job I'd seen advertised and got it. Now I get an annual performance bonus before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Why should you get more money over the holidays? Fair enough if your employer offers it but you can hardly expect it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I usually get about 5-600 net as a Christmas bonus, mixed between cash and one for all vouchers. The vouchers are handy and usually go on the big xmas food shop and drink for the holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I worked in a place where the employees gave some of their wages back when it was quiet or they weren't really needed.

Actually, that was just a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why should you get more money over the holidays? Fair enough if your employer offers it but you can hardly expect it!

I'm not expecting anything but it would be nice to get some appreciation for the hard work throughout the year.

I worked in Dunnes Stores for 3 years and even they gave 2-300e of vouchers every xmas, granted they were Dunnes vouchers to spend in their own stores but you could literally buy anything, food, drink, clothes....one year a colleague used all of his vouchers to get a brand new Wii console with all the accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think it will be another year without bonuses, while things have picked up they're still not good enough to have a pile of cash left over for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Public sector workers, particularly those in the emergency services have it worst at Christmas. No bonus, no party and they have to work it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Public sector workers, particularly those in the emergency services have it worst at Christmas. No bonus, no party and they have to work it.

Plenty of private sector in the same position really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No Christmas Party?

Someone get me a heart transplant quick, mine has bled dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I know of a shop owner who required some people to work 3-4 hours a day over Xmas to avoid paying them for BH. They would be paid the same when they were off from work.

Very cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,643 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yis are lucky to have jobs at all.

Well thats what they like to tell us.
    Miserable cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Unless you were hired with a promise of guaranteed bonuses every year, which is rare but not unheard of, then you should have no expectation of a bonus. Hope for one, sure, but expect one, no. You get paid a set amount for a set amount of work all agreed with the employer before starting the job. Bonuses are great, and from an employers point of view they are a great moral booster which encourages more efficient work at a time of year when people are often stressed and distracted, but feeling hard done by because you don't get one reflects worse on you than it does on the employer. Not being generous does not make someone a cheapskate, it simply puts them in neutral territory. The hotel in Lexi's story is a pretty good example of what an actual cheapskate employer looks like.

Also having negative feelings towards your friends because they get a bonus is pretty damn crappy. Smacks of the all too prevalent "well for some" chip a lot of people carry around on their shoulder.

Just for the record I don't get a christmas bonus and never have.

I worked in a hotel once that got around the minimum wage by taking 50c an hour off us for food. We were allowed anything we liked from the kitchen during work hours. The catch was that barely anyone worked a long enough shift to be entitled to a break long enough to actually get something to eat. By the time your shift was over the kitchen was usually closed. You could come in early to get something if you wanted, but I don't think many people bothered.

no xmas party is harsh enough....they should at least treat people once a year. Some companies have social committees FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've never worked for an employer who paid out Xmas bonuses, either during the good times or the bad.

I think the no. of employers who do this is actually very small, and it's probably more likely to be small companies of 5/10 people where the boss throws €100 your way in an envelope before Xmas.
    Rory28 wrote: »
    Jaysus. I have had bad employers but this.. I'm lost for words.
    Pretty standard actually in many places where they employ minimum-wage or low-wage staff.
    They pay you hourly and tell you that you're expected to be on the premises 15/30 minutes before your shift starts and stay on 30 minutes afterwards (unpaid) to clean up.

They get away with it because 95% of their workforce don't know their rights and are too scared to speak up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Cheapskate employers are the ones who dont provide toilet paper...or who dont have the heating on or who cut every corner on employee rights and safety.

Not dishing out bonuses or forking out for a christmas party is hardly the definition of cheapskate employers FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Chucken wrote: »
    Most people realise Christmas comes every year and plan accordingly.
    Which is why I book my holidays at least 9 months in advance to avoid the whole Xmas bollócks.

I shall be in Lanzarote sipping on Long Island Ice-T's, smoking a fatty & giving 2 fingers to 'felice navidad'...bah humbug :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

skeg16 wrote: »
    I'm not expecting anything but it would be nice to get some appreciation for the hard work throughout the year.

I worked in Dunnes Stores for 3 years and even they gave 2-300e of vouchers every xmas, granted they were Dunnes vouchers to spend in their own stores but you could literally buy anything, food, drink, clothes....one year a colleague used all of his vouchers to get a brand new Wii console with all the accessories.

But the appreciation for your hard work is your wages. Like I said bonuses are nice but you can hardly expect them. Or derive from your lack of bonus that your efforts aren't appreciated.

I should work in HR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I'm surprised at these Christmas bonuses - what size and type of companies are these?

Any company I've worked for (all 20000+ employees) pay their bonuses at the end of Q1.

My last company and current company put on a big, free Christmas bash too. My current bonus % will be in the teens so I can't complain really, it's a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I work over the Christmas holidays, but get paid time and half for 2 shifts over that period. Counts as our bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Bonus will be paid in March and free Christmas party- in the Mansion House this year for whole company as well as some paid team nights, can't complain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I work for a multinational, and I can't complain about what we get at Christmas. A Christmas party (a meal, and 1 or 2 free drinks, and a band and DJ), and a hamper which I reckon is relatively expensive. I'd only be interested in about a third of what's in it so I give the rest to my family. There are about 400 of us who get these hampers.

We also get a bonus, the value of which depends on how business went during the year. It's usually about €200 after tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

seamus wrote: »
    I've never worked for an employer who paid out Xmas bonuses, either during the good times or the bad.

I think the no. of employers who do this is actually very small, and it's probably more likely to be small companies of 5/10 people where the boss throws €100 your way in an envelope before Xmas.
    This.

There's 20 people where I work and we get €500 in a brown envelope every Christmas which is great because the taxman can't get his grubby hands on it. We get taken for dinner too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Nib wrote: »
    This.

There's 20 people where I work and we get €500 in a brown envelope every Christmas which is great because the taxman can't get his grubby hands on it. We get taken for dinner too.

Are ye Hiring ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

And probably triple overtime

Would you have anything to back this up? Or are you just looking to bitch about the public sector? Plus would you do their job on Christmas day for minimum wage?

I work in the public sector and I don't get extra time off, bonuses or Christmas meal. Not a thing. Have it ever worked one place where I got a bonus Dunnes. €106 vouchers. At the time I thought how ****. Now I would feckin love it.

I work for a multinational, and I can't complain about what we get at Christmas. A Christmas party (a meal, and 1 or 2 free drinks, and a band and DJ), and a hamper which I reckon is relatively expensive. I'd only be interested in about a third of what's in it so I give the rest to my family. There are about 400 of us who get these hampers.

We also get a bonus, the value of which depends on how business went during the year. It's usually about €200 after tax.

Thats very generous of them, you are lucky to have it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Thats very generous of them, you are lucky to have it!!
    Indeed! But you still hear people giving out. "Remember when we got a smaller hamper but we got a turkey and ham as well?".

"SHUT UP AND BE GRATEFUL YE ARE GETTING ANYTHING!!" sez I. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I get my Christmas bonus in March :(

They changed it about 2 years ago...March!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I worked in a place where the employees gave some of their wages back when it was quiet or they weren't really needed.

Actually, that was just a dream.

Don't you mean a nightmare? ... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

michellie wrote: »
    I get my Christmas bonus in March :(

They changed it about 2 years ago...March!

The thing is I always viewed it as a performance bonus, based off the prior years work.

I've found that I've put the bonus to better use getting it in Q1/early Q2 as well, rather than spending it on Christmas parties or...presents.

No bonus here. A few years ago when I worked in Cadburys as a contractor we got a good chunk of free chocolate at Christmas. The staff got one for all vouchers but I was happy with my haul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Last company I worked in gave a quarterly bonus. Suppose one of them could be seen as a Christmas bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I got a €250 One For All voucher off my employer in 2010. I had never received a Christmas bonus before (or since) so I was happy out. I spent it on a new pair of glasses in Specsavers. I was happy, they were a purchase I'd been putting off due to the cost.

The company I got the bonus in only had 7 staff members. Other larger companies I've worked for never gave a Christmas bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I find it almost comical that people gripe about not getting bonuses yet boards would be screaming if any company was giving bonuses. If you are working for a wage then that is your wage. If your contract includes an agreed bonus scheme then great. If not, then that is what you signed up to. Christmas, holidays etc are annual events so plan accordingly based on the terms of your employment.
    I remember being offered a bonus in the 90s for bringing in a new system but refused it as 1. I felt I was just doing my job and 2. my team weren't getting a bonus as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Do you not get paid weekly/monthly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Cheapskate employers are the ones who dont provide toilet paper...or who dont have the heating on or who cut every corner on employee rights and safety.

Not dishing out bonuses or forking out for a christmas party is hardly the definition of cheapskate employers FFS!

I work in the public sector and our building has no heat on the last 2 days. It's freezing in here. They're coming tomorrow to turn it on supposedly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The company I work for gives everyone double pay at Xmas plus a Xmas party and then we get our performance bonuses in February.

Don't think I will be leaving any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭blackwhite

My previous job didn't give a bonus at Christmas, they gave one in the summer following financial Y/E - you had to be above a certain grade to be in the bonus pool - below that grade you were entitled to overtime though.

They used to throw a Christmas party for each department - with dinner and entertainment paid for, as well as vouchers for your first 6 drinks.
    Before 2008 there used be no restriction on drinks, and there used to be a company wide party as well as the party for each department....

In my current job my contract specifies a % of salary that I can potentially get as a bonus - I get 5% automatically at Christmas and the remainder (if any) is paid out the month that the company's results are released.
    We get a fully paid for Christmas party, usually comprising dinner (2 of the last 3 have been in Michelin-starred restaurants) and then an area is reserved in a nightclub for afterwards. Everything, including taxis into town and home afterwards, are paid for by the company.
    It's not a bad place to work :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Used to get a bonus of about €250-€300 every Christmas, then it stopped in 2008 when the business was cut back to the bone for a 6 month renovate, but hit started again last year, so don't know if we will get it this Christmas or not
    I get a good performance bonus for the previous year, normally get it in early January, which is better, as I'm normally broke after Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I started in a place that stated at interview and in the contract that there was a one month bonus every year (1/12 or about 8% of annual.)
    The first year I was employed for less than six months qualifying period so no bonus for me.
    As an executive I did a lot of overtime. The annual bonus was a substitute for overtime. In the second year I did well over 500 hours overtime. One week I did a 95 hour week (40 basic+55 overtime or almost 14 hours a day for seven days). This was real work implementing new systems. Many days started at 08:00, and ended at 01:00 seventeen hours later
    At the end of the year the message was "Sorry lads, there is a cutback on bonuses."
    We all got a small fraction of the usual. I got a £140 bonus, for over 16 months work, less than 1%.
    This was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Wow- Sounds like you work in the Magdalen laundries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Sugar Free wrote: »
    The thing is I always viewed it as a performance bonus, based off the prior years work.

I've found that I've put the bonus to better use getting it in Q1/early Q2 as well, rather than spending it on Christmas parties or...presents.

Yea ours is a performance bonus. We get 5% of the salary then. So it's good but I could really do with it in December this year!

diomed wrote: »
    I started in a place that stated at interview and in the contract that there was a one month bonus every year (1/12 or about 8% of annual.)
    The first year I was employed for less than six months qualifying period so no bonus for me.
    As an executive I did a lot of overtime. The annual bonus was a substitute for overtime. In the second year I did well over 500 hours overtime. One week I did a 95 hour week (40 basic+55 overtime or almost 14 hours a day for seven days). This was real work implementing new systems. Many days started at 08:00, and ended at 01:00 seventeen hours later
    At the end of the year the message was "Sorry lads, there is a cutback on bonuses."
    We all got a small fraction of the usual. I got a £140 bonus, for over 16 months work, less than 1%.
    This was years ago.

thats really lousy...fair enough if you just worked normal hours but all that overtime deserves to be rewarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I suppose I have been lucky in that every job I have ever had has been very generous at xmas. Working in pubs most of my life so lock ins over xmas were parties for staff and customers.
    But working as a chef meant I would get bottles of random drink off suppliers so I wouldnt need to buy any for home

• Advertisement
Advertisement