Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin City Council votes against water fluoridation

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

You would have to question as to why it was stopped in Germany if it is soo good for you.

Germans don't drink tap water as much as Irish people do. If you're not drinking the water, there's no point adding fluoride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

alastair wrote: »
    Germans, in the main, fluoridate their salt. Presumably they also don't feel it's doing them harm to ingest it then. The state recommends that they do so, btw, so they didn't stop water fluoridation on account of any fears for ingested fluoride.

You seem to know every single thing about what the heads of Germany's political establishment in regards to why they stopped fluoridation in your above comment. Interesting.

yes they do fluoridate their salt, at least they give their citizens the choice on whether to use this home-provided salt of their country, or to purchase non-fluoridated salt imported. The citizen has a choice.

You say 'presumably they also don't feel it's doing them harm to ingest it' ?
    You are assuming that every single German citizen thinks this way ? how would you know the minds of every German citizen's thinking regarding their thoughts on ingesting fluoride ?.
    so they didn't stop water fluoridation on account of any fears for ingested fluoride.

Prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You seem to know every single thing about what the heads of Germany's political establishment in regards to why they stopped fluoridation in your above comment. Interesting.
    I certainly know why they didn't stop water fluoridation - because of health concerns regarding injesting fluoridated water. They continue to recommend ingesting fluoride (in salt) as part of best practise in combatting tooth decay - particularly in children.
    yes they do fluoridate their salt, at least they give their citizens the choice on whether to use this home-provided salt of their country, or to purchase non-fluoridated salt imported. The citizen has a choice.
    That's entirely true.
    You say 'presumably they also don't feel it's doing them harm to ingest it' ?
    You are assuming that every single German citizen thinks this way ? how would you know the minds of every German citizen's thinking regarding their thoughts on ingesting fluoride ?.

Prove it.
    I never claimed every single German did so. I'm well aware that Germany has it's fair share of loons, who fear that their life essences are being sapped by fluoride. But a majority of salt purchased for domestic use is fluoridated - and I think it's fair to suggest that consumers there don't opt to buy the harmful option, any more than they would elsewhere? (kicking the whole issue about whether salt of any shade is a good thing to consume).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

"Activists are calling for Halifax to stop adding fluoride to tap water, but their science isn’t sound"

http://halifaxmag.com/cover/the-battle-for-your-teeth/

If the population of Ireland voted in majority (If we had a vote) to keep our main-tap-water fluoridated, then that would be ok with me. As in any vote/referendum, you have to respect the majority, as is democracy, the freedom to vote regarding what the populous thinks is right/correct, and I respect this outcome regardless of my personal opinions.

It would be very interesting to see what the result would be if a vote was allowed similar to a referendum.

But... Would you folk be as respectful towards the outcome if it were a No, regarding the removal of fluoride from the main-water-system ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

If the population of Ireland voted in majority (If we had a vote) to keep our main-tap-water fluoridated, then that would be ok with me. As in any vote/referendum, you have to respect the majority, as is democracy, the freedom to vote regarding what the populous thinks is right/correct, and I respect this outcome regardless of my personal opinions.

It would be very interesting to see what the result would be if a vote was allowed similar to a referendum.

But... Would you folk be as respectful towards the outcome if it were a No, regarding the removal of fluoride from the main-water-system ?.

We don't have referendums, except for constitutional changes. We vote for candidates and parties, on the basis of their manifestos. There's no evidence in those voting choices, that the populace particularly care one way or another on water fluoridation. Since it's not harmful, does a bit of good, and doesn't cost very much, it's pretty uncontroversial. Boring even. In fact about the only entertaining aspect of the subject is the litany of guff that those opposed to water fluoridation drag up in order to try and make it a compelling issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

And we now give our citizens a choice. Pay for your fluoridated tap water or but alternative non-fluoridated bottled water in the shops.

Yay, let's have a referendum on drink/driving limits, another one on pub opening hours, a final one on cigarette prices. Are you beginning to get the picture yet?

Godge wrote: »
    And we now give our citizens a choice. Pay for your fluoridated tap water or but alternative and non-fluoridated bottled water in the shops.

Fixed that ^

Paying for both is a bit disingenuous to say the least.

Fixed that ^

Paying for both is a bit disingenuous to say the least.

The choice is between

(1) Fluoride supporters paying extra
    (2) Fluoride opponents paying extra

Given that the overwhelming scientific evidence supports (1), it is those in (2) who should pay. Simple.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

In what's sure to annoy people, this is making the rounds amongst environmental scientists at the moment

dbf654d9-183c-411c-aaeb-e7d39af2103b-large.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Environmental scientists you say? Anyone other than Declan Waugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

That is great news! Happy to know we will be fluoride free! People are educated enough to brush their teeth every after meal, aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I went to the dentist this morning for my 6 monthly prophylaxis and as always at the end, the dental technician coated my teeth in a high concentration of fluoride and let it soak in for 5 mins before I rinsed and spat. I am personally glad that we are not force medicated fluoride in the water supply here. It is great stuff for teeth but I am not at all convinced that it doesn't have long term effects on the body when ingested.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

murphaph wrote: »
    It is great stuff for teeth but I am not at all convinced that it doesn't have long term effects on the body when ingested.
    If only there were some way of actually finding out whether some such long-term effects existed. It's a shame nobody has ever thought to do any scientific studies into the subject.

Oh wait, they have.

If you're not convinced by scientific studies, what would it take to convince you?

In your opinion.

It's not just his opinion, it is proven fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

murphaph wrote: »
    I am personally glad that we are not force medicated fluoride in the water supply here. It is great stuff for teeth but I am not at all convinced that it doesn't have long term effects on the body when ingested.
    But you undoubtedly ingest some when you receive your dental treatment? You also undoubtedly ingest small amounts of toothpaste every single day.

Advertisement