Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny

Options
  • 07-10-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all

Hope your well.. im contemplating a move to Dublin some time next year, i work in IT and the opportunities in Dublin are pretty hard to pass up!!
    Of course rent is crazy money in the city but i have seen some houses in Raheny that look reasonable for Dublin!

I have been in Dublin a fair bit but only the city, What kind of area is Raheny?
    Im sure there are many shops and amenities in the area but whats it like for crime/ safety and friendliness of ppl?

What kind of travel time would i be looking at into the city via public transport?

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

This should probably be moved to Dublin City for starters.

I'm originally from Raheny & I cannot speak highly enough about the place despite not having lived there for over 10 years at this stage (my parents have spent over 40 years living there).

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

thanks for that.. apologies for thread in wrong area... shows my lack of knowledge in regards to Dublin's geography!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Dublin County North :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I am originally from Raheny too and I love the place. Its a very settled middle to upper class area, has excellent transport links (DART, Bus, M50 and the Airport is very nearby). The cty centre is only ten minutes on the DART.
    St. Annes park is beautiful and you have the beach very close by too (an old area called Raheny little was on the coast down where Bettyglen is now).
    Howth and Sutton are either a nice walk or a very short Bus/DART journey away.
    Pubs in the village are the Inn, the Watermill and the Station House. They are all good pubs with the Station House being the one where the local upper classes would drink

Where exactly in Raheny are you thinking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Raheny's a nice place, but it's one of those areas in esate agent-speak which can cover a huge area, like "Stillorgan" on the southside. There is a Raheny village with a Church and shops at the crossroads of the Howth Rd and the Raheny Rd. But some description can cover from Clontarf to Sutton, and from the sea to Coolock/Malahide Road.

If you cant visit to have a look, maybe compare different roads and locations using google streetview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I am originally from Raheny too and I love the place. Its a very settled middle to upper class area, has excellent transport links (DART, Bus, M50 and the Airport is very nearby). The cty centre is only ten minutes on the DART.
    St. Annes park is beautiful and you have the beach very close by too (an old area called Raheny little was on the coast down where Bettyglen is now).
    Howth and Sutton are either a nice walk or a very short Bus/DART journey away.
    Pubs in the village are the Inn, the Watermill and the Station House. They are all good pubs with the Station House being the one where the local upper classes would drink

Where exactly in Raheny are you thinking about?

I live in Raheny and agree with everything here apart from the Station House comment.
    Unless you're being sarcastic, it must be a long time since you drank there. It has changed ownership and will be opening up shortly as the Cock and Bull.
    My son worked there as a lounge boy before they closed for refurbishment and the stories of drug dealing and general scumbagisms he told me was unreal.

Anyway, aside from that Raheny is lovely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Raheny is lovely, but a lot of less desirable places that simply aren't Raheny are marketed as Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

+ 1 from me too for Raheny. It's a really great part of Dublin & the charms of Howth & Dollymount are only just down the road.

I do agree with doing your homework to make sure it really is Raheny.

OP, what part of town will you be commuting to? The Dart will get you into Connolly in about 10 minutes, add 5 mins onto that if you are going as far as Pearse Station. The bus would probably be double that. I don't know about other bus routes, but the 31 bus from Howth goes thru Raheny. It terminates in Abbey St, so it won't take you over to the south side of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If you make the move the best of luck blueb. It's a cracking city and Raheny's a nice spot. Try and get as close to the coast as you can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Beware parts of Killbarack that may be marketed as raheny...they wouldnt be the roughest but still none to pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

chopper6 wrote: »
    Beware parts of Killbarack that may be marketed as raheny...they wouldnt be the roughest but still none to pleasant.

Edenmore is marked as Raheny too so same goes for there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Dovies wrote: »
    Edenmore is marked as Raheny too so same goes for there

Agreed..as are areas like Millbrook and Streamville...oh and St Donaghs..steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Raheny_zpsa23bc4de.jpg

This is Raheny... Clontarf try and tell people the park and the island is theirs, but they are in Raheny. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Edenmore has been in Raheny since it was built in the early 60s, has it been moved? When did that happen and why werent the people there told!!
    :)

Seriously though OP, Raheny is a lovely area best of luck there.
    Try to get somewhere handy for the Dart, much better commute than the buses (in general)

Gaspode wrote: »
    Edenmore has been in Raheny since it was built in the early 60s, has it been moved? When did that happen and why werent the people there told!!
    :)

Seriously though OP, Raheny is a lovely area best of luck there.
    Try to get somewhere handy for the Dart, much better commute than the buses (in general)

Ah but Edenmore isn't what people are referring to when people say Raheny. It's just not, it's Edenmore. It's like when people call Ayrfield Raheny. It's far closer to Coolock than it is to Raheny. Edenmore is as much Kilbarrack as it is Raheny.

Being originally from Edenmore I can tell you its in Raheny, the Tonlegee Road splits Raheny and Coolock

Being originally from Edenmore I can tell you its in Raheny, the Tonlegee Road splits Raheny and Coolock

It's Raheny in name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

ha ha ha wow you guys need borders over there :p next you will be telling me Raheny is only a state of mind, not bound by geography or physics:P

Seriously tho.. thanks very much for the input! if ye guys are an example of the ppl in the Raheny area i think il be glad to move there!
    I have no set plans as of yet.. just on the research stage.. seems like you get a lot more for your money in an area like Raheny compared to city center. Im looking to make the move from a town just outside Galway city.

Thanks again guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

It's Raheny in name only.

Address is Edenmore Raheny Dublin 5, its part of Raheny.

I live in Millbrook which is part of Kilbarrack which is also part of the Raheny District, when i wanted to join the local credit union (Ayrfield) they would'nt let me because i was'nt from the district of Coolock so i had to join Raheny because that covered the catchment area.

Address is Edenmore Raheny Dublin 5, its part of Raheny.

I live in Millbrook which is part of Kilbarrack which is also part of the Raheny District, when i wanted to join the local credit union (Ayrfield) they would'nt let me because i was'nt from the district of Coolock so i had to join Raheny because that covered the catchment area.

Being part of a credit union district doesn't make it part of the place in reality. You said it yourself, Millbrook is Kilbarrack. Edenmore is NOT where people talk about when they say Raheny is a lovely area to live. Hence I said, it's Raheny in name only. The centre of Edenmore is as close to Ayrfield or Coolock as it is to the centre of Raheny. It's a different area, that because of a technicality uses the address Raheny and can achieve better rents and sale prices than it otherwise would.

If someone says "Is Raheny a nice area?" you think of Raheny itself, not Edenmore. FWIW, I have nothing against Edenmore, it just isn't Raheny. In the same way that the new 24 hour petrol place on the coast is no more Sutton than the "airport" Hilton is anything other than the Darndale Hilton.

So when someone comes on (not from the area) asking about Raheny and people say it's a lovely area, it HAS to be caveated with saying that other areas like Edenmore (which tbh is an area in itself) are marketed as Raheny, because it's NOT as nice or safe an area as Raheny proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Being part of a credit union district doesn't make it part of the place in reality. You said it yourself, Millbrook is Kilbarrack. Edenmore is NOT where people talk about when they say Raheny is a lovely area to live. Hence I said, it's Raheny in name only. The centre of Edenmore is as close to Ayrfield or Coolock as it is to the centre of Raheny. It's a different area, that because of a technicality uses the address Raheny and can achieve better rents and sale prices than it otherwise would.

If someone says "Is Raheny a nice area?" you think of Raheny itself, not Edenmore. FWIW, I have nothing against Edenmore, it just isn't Raheny. In the same way that the new 24 hour petrol place on the coast is no more Sutton than the "airport" Hilton is anything other than the Darndale Hilton.

So when someone comes on (not from the area) asking about Raheny and people say it's a lovely area, it HAS to be caveated with saying that other areas like Edenmore (which tbh is an area in itself) are marketed as Raheny, because it's NOT as nice or safe an area as Raheny proper.

I can see where you're coming from with this. I agree. I used to live in Bayside which was often labelled as Sutton which I presume was a snobbery thing. To me they are two separate places. I often hear people referring to Darndale or Belmayne as Malahide, because they're on the Malahide Road. Again, two totally separate areas:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

blueb wrote: »
    ha ha ha wow you guys need borders over there :p next you will be telling me Raheny is only a state of mind, not bound by geography or physics:P

Seriously tho.. thanks very much for the input! if ye guys are an example of the ppl in the Raheny area i think il be glad to move there!
    I have no set plans as of yet.. just on the research stage.. seems like you get a lot more for your money in an area like Raheny compared to city center. Im looking to make the move from a town just outside Galway city.

Thanks again guys

If you want to stay close to the city centre, add Killester and Clontarf to your list. They are even closer to town and closer to the coast than Raheny is & they are (in my humble opinion) even nicer than Raheny. Clontarf also has bigger & better cluster of restaurants/shops/coffee shops etc etc than Raheny does. Clontarf in particular would probably be more expensive though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

(Love the pedantry of this. Should hear some people in Dublin 15 go mental in the same way when you point out to them that Dunsink is in Castleknock.)

OP, what is being said is that yes Edenmore is in the Raheny postal area but it's not as nice as the area closer to the village.
    It's not too bad (especially since I moved out!) but in general south/east of the Dart line would be considered by most as 'nicer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Kilbarrack is fine, any where in raheny is a decent place to move to. Never had any issues in kilbarrack apart from the usual kids in the park at the weekend. Short walk to the coast dart station in the middle, small shoping center and a few schools in the area. So great if you have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I thought people from outside of Dublin were meant to move to Phibsboro or Drumcondra... *joke

BTW, I'm a Southsider & can confirm that Raheny is in fact a very pleasant Middleclass area. The park is one of the best in Dublin & the parkies are very good, particularly if you have a dog or are into cycling. Bull Island is great, Howth is up the road, Deerpark is great for cheap golf, the city is only a short trip, theres a Dart...

The Cedars is a good local, Stationhouse is a good boozer too, The Elfin in Baldoyle do good Gastropub menu. Theres a food market in the park on the weekend & also one in Howth. Hole in the wall beach is close and is a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

I live in Edenmore, yes its classed as raheny but it really shouldn't be.

OP if you do move to Raheny, try to avoid Edenmore its a ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

used to be a lot worse than it is jay,

Raheny is grand - 30 minutes in the morning on the bus to town, 20 or so on the dart but ye wont get a seat unless you're really lucky or really early.

Lots of busroutes intersect raheny village enroute to town, so your waiting time wont be long.

Loads of pubs in the village, 2 presently as the stationhouse is being renovated and renamed to the cock and bull. No door policies afaik, live music in the Inn every weekend. Decent chippers and Chinese & Indian takeaways, 2 half decent restaurants - 1 Italian, 1 Thai.

Plenty of room in saint annes park, pitch and putt, fields of green, trees of brown, dollymount beach. A children's playground (a really good one), Rose Gardens (Biggest in europe at one point a few years ago) Tennis courts etc..

it's a great area, not as sleepy as it used to be. It's a nice suburb though and a good place to live. Been here 38 years :)

Ah Edenmore isnt half as bad as it was 20 years+ ago. When I moved out it had gone very quiet and the houses on my road that been sold after the older generation started to pass away were sold to 20 something hipster types
    Granted, Eugenes is an absolute hole of a pub, it wasnt even as bad as it is now when I worked there almost 20 years ago, the concord is decent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Areas change. St. Anne's estate when I was young was described in terms only kept for places like Darndale today and look at it now, hardly a hub of criminality.

The yahoos that cause trouble as teens get girlfriends, have babies, cop themselves on, settle down... and so it goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

I remember the annes was the only place that you could get a bit of smoke.

Advertisement