Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Edenmore has gotten worse in the last 20 years. There are tonnes of drugs and wannabe gangsters floating around the place. I used to hang around there when I was younger but would not go near the place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 popmdf

Would people say Lough Derg estate is in Raheny or Edenmore?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

popmdf wrote: »

I wouldn't be bothered what it was called.
    Would I buy a house there, in a great location for airport, beach, schools, parks, M50, supermarkets, DART? Er, yes, in a heartbeat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

spurious wrote: »
    I wouldn't be bothered what it was called.
    Would I buy a house there, in a great location for airport, beach, schools, parks, M50, supermarkets, DART? Er, yes, in a heartbeat.

There are plenty of places close to great facilities that I would not buy a house in. Lough Derg should be ok though although you will get the odd overflow from Edenmore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The only issues i would see there are commuter parking and the school runs for the primary twice a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭bren2001

popmdf wrote: »

Lough Derg is quite nice. I live around the corner from it and have never had any issue with "the odd overflow from Edenmore :rolleyes:". There is a little laneway that runs along the back of the dart station that is prone to a bit of antisocial behaviour on weekends. That and the commuter/school run traffic would be my only concerns but none of them are too big really.

bren2001 wrote: »
    There is a little laneway that runs along the back of the dart station that is prone to a bit of antisocial behaviour on weekends.
    ie overflow ;)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    ie overflow ;)

How d'you know they are from Edenmore? I presume the laneway between the Raheny road and Grange Woodbine is also that "Edenmore overflow"? Any laneway will attract a certain amount of antisocial behaviour. It's ridiculous to assume it's just Edenmore kids.

Hardly matters where they're from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Reading this thread it seems to me that some people can't distinguish between what constitutes Raheny village and which estates surround the village but are still a part of Raheny.

I live in an estate in Raheny but according to the map posted by Rambo a few pages ago I don't actually live in Raheny anymore! News to me.

I must live in that grey area outside of Raheny but not in Coolock, Kilbarrack or Donaghmede either.
    A completely new area! I must make up a name for it and remove the word 'Raheny' from my address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Reading this thread it seems to me that some people can't distinguish between what constitutes Raheny village and which estates surround the village but are still a part of Raheny.

I live in an estate in Raheny but according to the map posted by Rambo a few pages ago I don't actually live in Raheny anymore! News to me.

I must live in that grey area outside of Raheny but not in Coolock, Kilbarrack or Donaghmede either.
    A completely new area! I must make up a name for it and remove the word 'Raheny' from my address.

If you look at an older map with townland names you'll see the the area where you live probably did have a different name. This map from 1901 doesn't show very detailed townland info, but for example, clearly shows most of Edenmore in Coolock.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilbarrack#mediaviewer/File:Dublin_1901_NE_B.png

But areas do change over time for different reasons. Kilbarrack Graveyard for example is now considered to be in "Sutton". But on the map Kilbarrack is a much larger area. Today on the part of the Kibarrack road nearest the coast, the southside of the road call it Raheny and the northside call it Sutton. You can see it here when it was still considered to be "Kilbarrack": http://kilbarrackstory.ie/history/ariel-view-of-kilbarrack-july-1964/
    This is most likely a consequence of the negative connotations that resulted from the big council housing that took place in the 1960s and 70s.

Similarly areas near Raheny village (except Clontarf) have claimed the name Raheny in preference to nearby area names.

Once its your postal address, that the official address. But postal addresses change too, for various reasons. A builder told the Mahon tribunal he paid over £40,000 to Liam Lawlor TD, to change the postal address of a housing estate he was building from Clondalkin to Lucan ( to increase the value of the houses).

donaghs wrote: »
    If you look at an older map with townland names you'll see the the area where you live probably did have a different name. This map from 1901 doesn't show very detailed townland info, but for example, clearly shows most of Edenmore in Coolock.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilbarrack#mediaviewer/File:Dublin_1901_NE_B.png

Interesting. No Donaghmede back then. I know Grange Park was Kilbarrack West before it was built but changed to Raheny presumably to distinguish the private houses from the corporation estates similar (probably) to a Liam Lawlor manoeuvre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Interesting. No Donaghmede back then. .

Donaghmede is actually a small area which was named after Donaghmede House (which is still there).

Grangemore,Newbrook and The Donaghies are also named after houses that were in the area although most people consider them to be donaghmede they aren't and never were.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Donaghmede is actually a small area which was named after Donaghmede House (which is still there).

Grangemore,Newbrook and The Donaghies are also named after houses that were in the area although most people consider them to be donaghmede they aren't and never were.

Where is the house? I thought it was knocked down and that site became the shopping centre?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

bren2001 wrote: »
    Where is the house? I thought it was knocked down and that site became the shopping centre?

It's now the credit union which is just beside the school and it was formerly owned by the Morrow family.

Apart from the snobbery element, it's the old barony/Civil parish/townland issue again.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_townlands_of_County_Dublin

I never saw Artane spelt with a i before except on the McDonalds ad on the Artane roundabout.

I never saw Artane spelt with a i before except on the McDonalds ad on the Artane roundabout.

Also how it is spelt at the entrance to the centre. Only spotted it myself last year

• Registered Users Posts: 38 robulus

Hi Folks (sorry to hijack the thread) - I don't suppose someone could give their advice regarding Springdale Road, Raheny, whether the area is safe/worth getting a place there?
    I'm also in IT and looking to buy. I'd have to commute to Dun Laoghaire every day for work - I'm hoping to find a place I don't have to spend most of my life commuting to DL from, though with prices as they are, I'm not entirely convinced I'll be able to avoid that. Any opinion you have would be very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Springdale road itself can be a little busy at times but it is close to the dart for getting to DL. Perfectly safe area.

• Advertisement

As stated, the road is quite busy and often packed with parked cars for either the Dart station or the pitches. Other than that, as safe as most places with good transport connections; dart and a few bus routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Also, depending on which end of the road you are on you are either very close to the uci and leisreplex and good bus services on the Malahide road, Middle ways you are very close to the shopping centre in Edenmore, which despite what people may say has calmed down a lot in recent years (I am originally from there). At the Raheny end you have Raheny village itself with its own shopping centre, restaurants and good pubs.
    The beach is very close too and as already stated, you have the DART literally just off Springdale Road
    Its a great place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 38 robulus

Thanks very much for the feedback, it's very much appreciated :) The place I had in mind on that road seems to have gone beyond my means already, so eh this message may have been a bit premature - but I am encouraged a bit to hear that that area seems to be a good place to live. So I'll watch out for some others. Any suggestions regarding where to avoid?

which despite what people may say has calmed down a lot in recent years (I am originally from there).
    I hope you are right as there are many nice residents there and they deserve a break but up until 5 years ago the Avenue in particular was a no go area. Best barber in Dublin in Edenmore though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I hope you are right as there are many nice residents there and they deserve a break but up until 5 years ago the Avenue in particular was a no go area. Best barber in Dublin in Edenmore though ;)
    Bar the Avenue the rest is grand. Even as a child growning up in the 80's we were warned to stay away from the Ave. I worked in Eugenes so know most of the heads, some dodgy characters alright

Tommy is a legend alright

Bar the Avenue the rest is grand. Even as a child growning up in the 80's we were warned to stay away from the Ave. I worked in Eugenes so know most of the heads, some dodgy characters alright

Tommy is a legend alright

The Avenue has quietened down quite a bit in recent years. Some of the headcases have got their act together a bit. Saying that, I would still avoid it if I could buy elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The Springdale road end of Edenmore Ave is fine. Just avoid the area around the shops.

Advertisement