Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding fee to switch electricity meters?

Options
  • 07-10-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Moved into a house five years ago with a night saver meter. Getting real sick of it and want to change to the normal 24h meter but looks like it's going to cost me approximately €200 to do the switch.
    Two questions:

1 - Currently, I mange to do about 30% of my electricity usage during the nightsaver hours. That percentage will decrease quite a bit soon as my wife will be staying at home all day. Anyone know whether paying the €200 fee would be worth it and how long it would take to recoup the expense?

2 - Anyone manage to sweet talk any of the providers into forgoing the fee? I never chose to switch to the nightsaver meter in the first place (which was free apparently), it was just there when I moved in. I just spoke to Electric Ireland there and offered them my business in return for switching the meter for free but no dice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can you explain why you want to come off the nightsaver rate - won't that make you electricity more expensive????

What exactly is there to be getting sick of? Sure there's a click twice day, but there's no difference for you any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I want to come off it as currently I only use 30% of my electricity during the nightsaver hours and that is set to drop significantly in the near future. Therefore, it would be significantly cheaper for me to have a normal 24h rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How much electricity do you use per year?

What rates are you paying. What would the standard rate be? What are the standing charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Can you explain why you want to come off the nightsaver rate - won't that make you electricity more expensive????

What exactly is there to be getting sick of? Sure there's a click twice day, but there's no difference for you any other way.

if you have a night saver meter your day unit rate is higher than the standard day rate on a 24 hour meter. if you don't use enough at night you'd be way better off on a 24 hour meter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Victor wrote: »
    How much electricity do you use per year?

that doesn't really matter, whats important is how much he uses every night, if its less than 30% he's better off on a normal 24 hour meter

OP - get you calculator out and work out how much you'd save switching to a 24 hour meter and weigh it up against the 200 euro

and to answer your 2nd question, no supplier will give you one for free - they all have to pay for an ESB Networks guy to go out, so they all pass the charge to the customer

• Advertisement
Advertisement